Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

ThinkTank posted:

It's not like Erat has been any good for the Coyotes. I think it's safe to say that he's just done and the Preds managed to sell high just before his value crashed.
He tripled his goals from Washington and shows up to play every night it's just that the people he plays with have been abysmal since Hanzal has been hurt on and off and Vrbata is in the middle of one of his disappearing acts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The Coyotes finally had their ownership bullshit resolved only for Shane Doan to get a potentially life threatening disease and Mike Smith to get injured during the final playoff push after playing his best hockey of the season.

Ribeiro had a disappointing season but was still 4th on the team in points. Yandle lead the team in points and had a good season but he needs a defensive anchor to play with like Michalek. Him being paired with a completely washed up and lovely Derek Morris reduces his effectiveness.

Maloney needs to get top 6 players and a 2nd pairing defensive dman somehow.

Free Agents: Vrbata, Moss, Bissonnette, Halpern, Morris, Greiss

Restricted Free Agents: McMillan, Summers

If Vrbata is used as a 2nd/3rd line guy he's alright but his disappearing act gets old so if he wants to get megabucks I wouldn't be broken up if he finds them elsewhere. Bissonnette is a good energy/locker room guy and should've got more ice time this year. Summers should be kept, he's a better 6/7 guy than Schlemko. Greiss is an average back up that lets in too many soft goals, would be okay with him staying for cheap. Morris needs to go far away and McMillan doesn't belong in the NHL.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

I'm 95% sure that Brodeur played his last NHL game.

Dreger and McKenzie are suggesting that Spezza will be traded in the offseason. Jeff O'Neill also did but he's a fat idiot.
Technically the Senators would be saving money if they traded Spezza for Ribeiro so they should do that :ninja:

Trying to picture Spezza in a different jersey is weird and probably won't make Bobby Ryan run for his life the second he hits free agency or anything.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

A Semin/Kuznetsov/Ovechkin line could be kinda cool to see

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

John Scott challenged a dude that was 7 inches shorter than him to a fight and lost :laugh:

Trotz should be the coach of the Habs because he'd be nice to PK

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Lumius posted:

Oates is using his vampyre hypnotic powers to remain as head coach of the capitals until he fully drains all of their essence (they are bottom of the league).
McPhee/Oates are playing the long con and have their eyes set on McDavid :tinfoil:

Jordan7hm posted:

If Tortz coaches a team with a big fan base on here, we're going to be hearing about how terrible he is by next January.
I think his style would work well in the east and most of the complaints would be drown out by winning.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

In other Sedin news that will shock very few... Paul Byron will not receive further discipline for his hit on #Canucks Daniel Sedin.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The Nashville Predators didn't allow a shorthanded goal all season

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Coyotes Reporter: Talked to all 7 #Coyotes UFAs today. The only 1 who sounded certain about his future was D Derek Morris. He seemed to know he won't be back.

Good luck with that whoever signs him. He could still be an alright 6/7 depth dman but his skating/speed have declined over the last 2 years enough that he needs to play with an anchor type guy to not be a complete liability.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Rutkowski posted:

Morris leaving is a bit of a shame because he was one of the players who worked the hardest to keep the team in Phoenix.
Yeah that part sucks, he is a good locker room guy and he has proven at multiple team charity events that he's a pretty good bartender. Hopefully he gets a decent sized final contract from a team that mixes him up with another player :unsmith:

The best is when it lands on the Devils :allears:

NO WINNER

The New Jersey Devils have won the NHL Draft Lottery
and due to having to draft 30th, if this scenario happens, the NHL will hold an immediate re-draw.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Every second that Oates and McPhee aren't fired fills me with a fear that Ovechkin and Caps fans will never get to be happy :(

Did Leonsis forget that he owns a hockey team?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Stickarts posted:

Just gonna finish off my media blitz for the day:

I started a playoff pick em contest with real life prizes to be won and even some custom art work. Link!

forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3625761

I don't know why the hell that won't turn into a link, but I trust your collective ability to copy/paste.
Add url brackets around it like this

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

fits posted:

He was better than Fraser and Larsen :effort:
The Coyotes beat reporter thinks the Oilers/Flames will want Derek Morris if that makes you feel any better(it shouldn't) :unsmith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Who votes on the Vezina? It's not on any of their lists.
General managers

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Are the other rosters equal in talent? :staredog:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Trevor Bird posted:

Laviolette was in Nashville today. Gonna be really surprising if anyone else gets that job.
Are they looking for a coach that fits the mold of Ken Hitchcock or is he just still not taking training camp seriously at all? :ohdear:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Trevor Bird posted:

there is absolutely no way nashville is bad enough to tank for mcdavid unless rinne dies and weber is traded for edmonton players.
Finish outside of the playoffs and make the money order payable to G. Bettman then anything is possible :ninja:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Trevor Bird posted:

I'll be happy if they land one good free agent forward that can score.
David Legwand is available :unsmith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Barry Trotz took out a full page ad in the newspaper to thank the fans :smith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Deer_fire posted:

Trotz is amazing. I get why the Preds moved on - everybody has a shelf life - but he's a loving gem.
There's a behind the scenes video that follows him around for a day and talks about his family that is fantastically soul crushing but I can't find it. I hope that wherever he goes he is given an actual roster with talent and gets to make Poile look like the stupid rear end that he is multiple times a season.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

VJeff posted:

Hm.

@PKessel81: Night fishing with friends doesn't get much better

@PKessel81: Relax people playoffs would been better some of u need to chill out it's crazy

About 22 minutes in between those two tweets.
It's amazing with the amount of poo poo players get from twitter that so many of them remain active on it. If anything it seems like it'd make more sense to have your PR person or agent manage it for you

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

marioinblack posted:

Hockey is a dumb sport

:suicide:
Sorry for your loss(es). Hope your dudes don't give Callahan $7mil+ for 8 years :unsmith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Tyler Johnson, Ondrej Palat and Nathan MacKinnon nominated for the Calder Trophy.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Finalists for the Selke are Patrice Bergeron, Anze Kopitar and Jonathan Toews.

flakeloaf posted:

No, because you'd be inevitably led to the realization that nearly all refs in the league are Canadians, most non-NHL refs are noticeably worse at their jobs than their counterparts here, and yet there is no obvious bias that favours the six Canadian teams over the rest.

e: here is not here, y'hear?
*7 Canadian teams :colbert:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

I think we're all better off if we just keep pretending Winnipeg doesn't exist.
Technically they're the 3rd best Canadian team though :mad:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Gary Bettman doesn't think Seattle is very cool

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

It kinda seems like Carey Price should've been in the final 3 somehow

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

fits posted:

Oilers 87-88

Backups? Don't need em
Fuhr's playoff stats for that season were better than what Quick, Bryz, Lindback, Emery and Niemi have put up this postseason :laugh:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Thufir posted:

Apparently GMGM and Oates are fired in Washington. Congrats Caps fans.
I'm incredibly happy that there's a chance Ovechkin won't have to waste any more of his prime years with awful management/coaching :unsmith:

Maybe Adam Oates can be the next coach of the Blues since some people think they're going to fire Hitchcock :frogbon:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

ThinkTank posted:

Hey caps fans got their wish.

Please don't hire McPhee Trev
He made the playoffs 10/17 times for the Capitals so he'd be a fine choice!

eXXon posted:

Well, Jim Rutherford is supposed to be resigning soon, though he should have been fired.

Between JR, GMGM and Trotz, it's a bad month to be longtime NHL staff.
I thought the speculation was that Rutherford was going to get promoted to some other position so he could continue to stink up things?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Brodeurs Nanny posted:

I really don't think Carolina is terribly far off. Khudobin is very good and the Hurricanes have a nice young core of forwards and Faulk is a monster. They just need to accumulate depth, which is easier said than done. But I don't think the core of the team is the problem.

I think it might take a little time, but a good GM can get a pretty good team going within two years.
They've still got Cam Ward's albatross around their neck for the next 2 years unless ownership is willing to buy him out. Their defense needs a lot of help too

communist kangaroo posted:

i'm so happy i could kiss deafmute
High five instead :hfive:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

If Leonsis does this he hates the Capitals and their fans more than anyone else on the planet...

John Shannon ‏@JSportsnet
How long before we hear Wayne Gretzky's name to run hockey in Washington? He and Leonsis have a very good relationship. 99 wants back in.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

romanowski posted:

is that a joke answer or is federov an actual possibility?
That's a joke answer. Here's an article with some possible candidates for the Caps

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

Paul Fenton + Barry Trotz.
Thinking of how much better Holtby could be after working with Mitch Korn is disturbing and something I want to see.

VJeff posted:

HE SHOULD BE. :mad:
It's going to rule when the Ducks and Blue Jackets retire his number before the Red Wings :smugdog:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

The Detroit Red Wings ran a little bit late but finally made it to this thread :unsmith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

If so many smug pricks weren't constantly talking about the Blues winning the Cup this year without having any problems a little bit ago it really seems like their total collapse wouldn't have been so satisfying. If they lost 2-1 it would've been way cooler and spookier than 5-1 too :smith:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

He isn't very good but Burke didn't dump you with McPhee so that's a nice thing for you. Congrats technically.

Carolina is holding a press conference at 12pm about hockey operations, Rutherford probably returning to his home planet or getting promoted for all the success so that Ron Francis can become the new GM

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

It's Keith, based on revealed ballots.

Chara didn't really play like a top 3 defenseman this year, I'm not sure why he got so many votes. Probably just looked at his point total, figured he's still Chara on defense, and voted.
Reputation votes are a necessary crutch for most of the PHWA :v:

Trevor Bird posted:

just because the team i like is lovely doesn't make me a lovely poster. i'm highly offended by your judgement.
Your new avatar needs to be a looping gif of Laviolette eating lasagna like Garfield :colbert:

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Oilers prospect Bogdan Yakimov (83 overall in 2013) will leave the KHL to continue his career in North America next season.

Yakimov to Yakupov has a nice ring to it but the line needs another Yak for Edmonton to truly earn the title of Yak City :ussr:

Scylla posted:

Rutherford officially steps down, Ron Francis is the new GM.
Rutherford, McPhee, Nonis(haha just kidding he's safe)... who will the axe take next? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Stars place D.Jeffrey and C.Mueller on waivers.

Seems unusual to waive them since they are UFA/RFAs

• Locked thread