Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

newspaper twitter or w/e posted:

Ben Kuzma ‏@benkuzma
Henrik Sedin on his injuries: "The faceoff thing was a finger, so I had a tough time. The rib, I tried to come back before the Olympics."

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford
Henrik: My oblique muscle (tear) was the biggest issue. The rib got better.
what the gently caress henrik. why are you playing through that. how are you playing through that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

It's cool how Kessel would probably be up for the Hart if the Leafs were in the playoffs and now he's a B-. Kessel has now finished 6th, 7th and 6th in points in the last 3 years.

Plus getting on Kadri for uh... trying, and succeeding, at drawing penalties?

i dont think he would be in the top 3

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

the oilers won 8 times in a row for me

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Number19 posted:

Horvat is now the "potential second line center" in the Canucks propsect pool. Schroeder's finished here unfortunately.

with a new coach and gm im not so sure this is true

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Eliotte Friedman mentioned in his 30 Thoughts today that he believes the Canucks considered a one year $7.5M offer sheet for Jamie Benn last year.

:sigh: If only...

two years ago and im kinda glad they didnt do it

could you imagine giving up this year's pick because jamie benn also succumbed to The Curse

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

elimination games and overtimes should be called in the same way that they call everything, including the preseason

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mcvey posted:

That would make for some pretty boring hockey.

ok then they should change the regular season standards

special teams should not have reduced significance after being important during the season. that is a bad thing

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

im also of the mind that boudreau is a better coach than babcock

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

eXXon posted:

That data certainly shows that Karlsson is extremely talented and extremely capable at handling the puck, but it doesn't actually prove that the Sens are more efficient at goal scoring or prevention because of that. For one, Karlsson's career shooting % is around 7 (7.8 this season), but practically all of the decent forwards on the Sens are above 10%. So is there any data that shows that Karlsson being so involved in the offense 5-on-5 is actually a net positive? Is he generating more shots per minute than the Sens would with forwards carrying the puck, is he especially efficient at zone entries, etc?

karlsson is a defenceman, why would you compare him to the forwards in sh%

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vicas posted:

It's all about Hagg and Ghostibehe, tbh. If Morin works out I'll be happy but I'm expecting 2nd/3rd pairing at best

If Ghost busts/is rushed and does poorly I'll actually be incredibly sad though

gost is be here. ghost is be here. GostIsBeHere. gostisbehere

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Vicas posted:

this is, uh, exactly agreeing with what I just said?

he does that, he just needs to use capital letters to organize the thought

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

sba posted:

@FarhanLaljiTSN
BREAKING - John Tortorella will be fired by #canucks tomorrow

well, mclellan is going to be available. thanks kopitar ???

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yeah where the gently caress did he disappear to he didnt even say goodbye :(

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Veskit posted:

gently caress vancouver if they get Trotz. Anyone else they land I'm ok with.

how about mclellan

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

My ability to experience happiness vanished sometime in January, but I'd consider what I'm feeling to be on the more positive side of apathy.

if you could imagine a slightly brighter form of hopelessness, thats what i see at the end of the tunnel

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Captain Geech posted:

I wonder if Torts would've been given a second chance if he hadn't tried to storm the Calgary lockerroom.

honestly ill bet gillis and torts are here if he didnt do that

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

So what do Van fans really expect out of this team? Are they gonna go rebuild mode and trade away Edler and Kessler or try to pull something together?

the most likely set of results is that they trade kesler and not edler, cant land any free agents and get 7th or 8th in the conf, i think

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

b...b...but choking!!!!!!!!!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Wippersnapper posted:

Are people really thinking firing Torts was a bad move? The radio heads here were talking about not knowing what qualifies Trevor Linden to make this move before getting a G.M., but honestly if Torts had of stuck around it would have been disastrous from a P.R. perspective at the least. He is a hot headed idiot who managed to kill our offense and I can't imagine what G.M. would want to keep him around.

its fundamentally the opposite of firing av in that the very worst you can hope for is a lateral move with tons of room to move up

whereas getting rid of av was hoping very hard for a lateral move with plenty of room down (OOPS)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its because there's a history of firing good assets in coaches because there's a history of firing coaches because there's...

its the most ridiculous observation that's been made infinite times before and prompts all those idiots to go "ahhhhhh well uhhhhhhh, life span shelf life!!!!!! not a fair business HEH"

a lot of it is from the fact that most people, including hockey people, have no idea how to evaluate a good or bad coach other than LEADERSHIP AND YELLING vs PLAYERS COACH and so they just play spin the wheel

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you dont have to fire either though. sometimes things dont go your way. sometimes you match up against a really good team

its loving ridiculous that people get away with intellectually dishonest bullshit like "well no coach tenured for more than 4 years ever wins a cup!" or "hes a players coach and this dressing room ive never been in needs HARD DICK LEADERSHIP" but when you point out that randy carlyle is dressing ahl scrubs over above average nhl talent, or therrien playing murray ever, people defend them

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

What's the source for this? Scotty Bowman won 3 Cups with Detroit: in his 4th, 5th and 9th years with the team.

'(except for guys who had already won with the team)'

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

The rumor is that they are waiting on Boston's playoff run to end so they can poach an assistant GM (Jim Benning). If this means passing up on Trotz or whomever, I will be real loving pissed.

Also I'm mad the Canucks fired Sullivan, that's exactly the kind of dipshit reactionary thinking that's gotten us in this jam. Dude coached our PK, which was by most objective metrics anywhere from the best in the NHL to top-5ish, and turned Chris Tanev into an elite shutdown defenseman. Cool, we fired the only guy on our staff who performed his job at a winning level.

Edit: Before anybody looks up the stats, our team PK% ended up diving at the end of the season when the wheels fell off, even then it was still 9th in the league. First half of the season it was so elite that Tanev had a positive goal differential as a penalty killer. :stare:

well that was luck

anyways, he probably came as part of the TortsPack

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Franks Happy Place posted:

It was just about the only game-related event where I felt confident. "Oh good, a penalty kill, we've got this for sure!"

Coming back from a two goal deficit midway in the second period? Not so much.

holding a two goal lead at any point in the game including after the third period? nope

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its bullshit that colorado got to win the lottery and get the insanely good young goal scoring guy and not nashville. gently caress colorado

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

e: Actually I didn't realise that Detroit was in the playoffs for that whole stretch of years before they finally clinched a cup win. Kinda forget some of those early years.

dude, steve yzerman was Captain Choke for loving years and years

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Deer_fire posted:

There's probably a lot of validity to what you said re: shooting percentage, but it doesn't really address how they'd play well and win against top level talent (with good a good D/goalie tandem) but manage to lose to teams like Nashville (who I guess does have a good defense, though not so much a great goalie for the vast majority of this year) and Buffalo (the opposite problem) and the like.

well a large portion of the game is luck and so every team can lose or win against every other team

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/hockey/landslag/trekronor/article18835741.ab

is this article saying that nhl teams are interested in daniel rahimi?!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Zamboni Jesus posted:

i count four seasons between 02 and 08 there and i'm pretty sure there were a couple notable "meltdowns" in there. i also feel like you could make the what have you done lately argument w/r/t babcock because up until recently the red wings were a pretty loaded team and haven't had much playoff success either since 09.

i bring up boudreau because basically all the reasons why bylsma should be fired now were the reasons why washington posters wanted boudreau fired at the time (or after the playoff collapses versus montreal and then tampa). specifically: can't coach in the pressure of the playoffs and doesn't adjust to the opposition

also to some extent AV (doesnt adjust)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Elite Players, The Players That Played With Them, and Benoit Pouliot

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

yay boston!!!

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Neither is really a prospect anymore. They'll both be 24 at the start of next season, and generally that's when players are in their prime. Expecting either of them to improve considerably from the players you see today is a folly. Neither is bad by any means, but Kadri probably is at best a 50-60 point 2nd line centre and Gardiner is a 30-40pt PP QB type.

gardiner's got 3-4 years of solid improvement available to him

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

makaveli the Bruins Hater is probably a decent sized contributing reason (for a single human) to the bruins' slow descent into media hate which is good enough justification for his insane obsession with them

now he just needs to orchestrate another SCF between the two clubs before the sedins retire and his quest will be complete

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

VJeff posted:

I saw this on twitter earlier. How in gently caress is that even physically possible. How did Gillis actually let this happen.

i dont for a second believe anything other than 'gillis was barely or not involved in tortorella's signing'. he reportedly didn't even know if torts had a buyout clause or not. how the gently caress do you negotiate a contract with two decades of law/player agent experience and not be aware of that fact? there's no way he's that incompetent

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

its kind of interesting how you can look at luongo's situation, or tortorella's situation, or the slow descent into Big Bad Madness post cup run and they kind of look to be the same style and level of incompetence. compare that to at his biggest independent fuckups like the ballard trade, sturm, barker or bernier acquisitions and they're of a completely different dna

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Captain Internet posted:

They burned a buyout on a perennial 700k a year e-Rupp-tion? Why?

i think mike rupp was traded

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ThinkTank posted:

Aquillini screwed a bunch of stuff up royally, but other than refusing to buy out Lou I think that whole debacle is on Gillis.

other than the part where the league locked out the players/froze all trades, and then added a negative sign to the value of the luongo contract, possibly

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

thank god linden found it prudent to get rid of him, though after all of this it doesnt sound like it was a difficult decision

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

apparently that wasn't the case, that the contract was guaranteed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont think gillis wants another gm spot right now and if he's re-hired, it'll be in a few years

• Locked thread