Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yep, and they have innate digging and shafting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So are Formicids really ant people? I want to play as an ant that punches people in the face.

I demand you refer to them by their original name, "Dwants".

(dwarf ants)

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

nrook posted:

You're making me want to found "team bad players who have played a really long time but haven't played very much recently, also are bad"

We should do this for the next tournament

Got a good name for it?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm just going to call them ants probably. Or punch ants. Because the mental image of an ant wearing boxing gloves highly amused me as a child and still does. Though thinking about it now, permastasis blocks off basically every traditional method of escape. I guess you really need to rely on stealth, which I've never been a big fan of.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah stasis is a huge drawback, they are pretty hard to play. You gotta make do with shafting and walking away.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm just going to call them ants probably. Or punch ants. Because the mental image of an ant wearing boxing gloves highly amused me as a child and still does. Though thinking about it now, permastasis blocks off basically every traditional method of escape. I guess you really need to rely on stealth, which I've never been a big fan of.

You can still use lucy's blink. Infinite digging also allows you to effectively always fight things 1 on 1 with no interference from ranged, casting or smiters. Just take your time and play safe.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Circle Nine posted:

Ummm I'm pretty sure you meant to put this rockin picture of Gastronok at the top of the first post instead of that lame old thing?

Oh poo poo, I actually did!

(The current OP is actually my second attempt - the first one died to a browser crash. :( )

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Add elephant slug as a playable race in the next version.

uPen posted:

You can still use lucy's blink. Infinite digging also allows you to effectively always fight things 1 on 1 with no interference from ranged, casting or smiters. Just take your time and play safe.

Huh. That might be a good reason to worship her even as something other than a AK, though finding an altar on purpose is pure luck so hardly a reliable strategy.

Does stasis prevent you from developing mutations that change your speed?

EDIT: Since you have infinite digging and can make tons of 1x1 corridors, maybe summon butterflies would actually help a lot.

EDIT 2: Formicid is such a terrible name, I'm just gonna call em ants.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 11, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Internet Kraken posted:

Add elephant slug as a playable race in the next version.

Huh. That might be a good reason to worship her even as something other than a AK, though finding an altar on purpose is pure luck so hardly a reliable strategy.

Does stasis prevent you from developing mutations that change your speed?

I think they took out the mutations that could make you faster/slower.

A perk of being a Formicid is that berzerkitis/teleportitis don't affect you at least.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Yeah fast/slow mutations are gone. As fun as my centaur who got fast 3 was, I think it's for the best.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I see. You know, if Ants can't suffer from teleportitis and berserkitis, playing mutation lottery with them is probably not such a bad idea. You're less likely to end up with a set of mutations that is literally unplayable.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Mutation lottery is pretty much always a good idea on dwants. You can get some ludicrous stuff going and turn into a walking tank if you're careful enough and use your tools effectively early on.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Internet Kraken posted:

FoAK is decent (for a formicid), but the blink is not the reason. (As with most AKs, the reason is banish, corrupt, and worst-case, self-banish.)

Lucy's blink is not especially strong, even for a race that can't blink otherwise.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well, it would be useful to make a gap when you need to get away from something. The reason Lugonu's blink isn't that great is because its inferior to basically every other kind, but when its the only one you can use you'd probably appreciate it a lot!

So if ants have 4 arms, can I hold two small shields/one tower shield and not have it impact my unarmed in a negative way? Or do shields still gently caress with unarmed for them?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Internet Kraken posted:

Well, it would be useful to make a gap when you need to get away from something. The reason Lugonu's blink isn't that great is because its inferior to basically every other kind, but when its the only one you can use you'd probably appreciate it a lot!

So if ants have 4 arms, can I hold two small shields/one tower shield and not have it impact my unarmed in a negative way? Or do shields still gently caress with unarmed for them?

Despite having a billion extra arms, formicids can only use one shield and one weapon, and still get the same penalties for using a shield with unarmed or archery. They do get a couple nice bonuses, though: they can wield 2-handed weapons with shields and they get the same reduced shield penalties as other "big" races (trolls, ogres and centaurs). A formicid only needs 15 shield skill to eliminate the penalty from large shields, instead of the normal 25. Combine that with the +3 aptitude and you should basically always be using a shield.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

So Yredelemnul is ridiculously fun if you can get past his rocky early game.

The game I'm playing right now started as essentially an exercise in box-checking; I've never won a Fo, never won a Fi, and never seriously played with Yred, so I decided I'd play a FoFi of Yred. After dying a whole bunch early, I finally got a character fairly far in and wow, is this easy so far. I don't think I've ever had the ability to just go charging into the Snake or Elf vault, spam an ability a couple of times, and then hit tab until all the enemies are dead. Profane Servitors and Bone Dragons good minions.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Never Not Use A Shield On Formicid.

They used to be able to use GSC's, but that was removed in favor of the boosts to shield use for them which I really liked since it opened up a lot of options for the species instead of everyone rushing a GSC on them and then complaining that they were just Ogres that can wear normal armor and can't blink/haste/tele/whatever.

e: also, get hype for the tournament

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 11, 2014

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

Internet Kraken posted:

I see. You know, if Ants can't suffer from teleportitis and berserkitis, playing mutation lottery with them is probably not such a bad idea. You're less likely to end up with a set of mutations that is literally unplayable.

Formicids can still get Blurry Vision, which is by far the most dangerous mutation you can possibly have.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Viashino_wizard posted:

Formicids can still get Blurry Vision, which is by far the most dangerous mutation you can possibly have.

Uh, why? I mean not being able to read blink and teleport scrolls is bad but Formicids can't use those anyway.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

LogicNinja posted:

Uh, why? I mean not being able to read blink and teleport scrolls is bad but Formicids can't use those anyway.

It could cause problems if you're using fear or fog as an escape, but that doesn't seem like "most dangerous mutation" territory.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Just found out about the new version and have not played since the last tournament.

Anyone have space for a novice level Berserker win on their team?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Viashino_wizard posted:

Blurry vision is hardly a disaster. Blurry vision is only a small (at level 1) chance for you to gently caress up reading a scroll. Potentially fatal if you need a scroll to bail you out of a bad situation, but most of the time its just a nuisance. Compare that to say, teleportitis throwing you into the middle of a vault full of dragons.

That said, blurry vision is even less of an issue for an ant. Whats the situation in which you need to read a scroll right loving now? When you need to teleport or blink. Except ants can't do either of those in the first place.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Despite having a billion extra arms, formicids can only use one shield and one weapon, and still get the same penalties for using a shield with unarmed or archery. They do get a couple nice bonuses, though: they can wield 2-handed weapons with shields and they get the same reduced shield penalties as other "big" races (trolls, ogres and centaurs). A formicid only needs 15 shield skill to eliminate the penalty from large shields, instead of the normal 25. Combine that with the +3 aptitude and you should basically always be using a shield.

Feh, lame. Oh well, I'm to committed to the idea of an Ant Monk to not try it at least a few times.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Got a request. The official Crawl screenshots page is embarrassingly out of date, so I figured I'd update it. So if you're feeling helpful, take screenshots of yourself dying in stupid ways during the tournament and then send them to me.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Viashino_wizard posted:

Then again, they also don't have access to the best two panic scrolls, Blink and Teleport. So even that is slightly less bad than normal.

busb
Mar 19, 2009

Thorgie
My team isn't showing up on the tournament clan list, and this is my RC file for 0.14 stable on CAO

code:
# TEAMNAME Are you sure you wish to disintegrate yourself? y
# TEAMMEMBERS playerx playery playerz player4 player5
# Crawl Init file
#
Someone tell me what i'm doing wrong?

edit: It's because i have a questionmark and spaces isn't it ugh

editedit: it was

busb fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 11, 2014

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Seriously, mutate the poo poo out of yourself when playing Formicid. It improves everything forever.

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
Inspired by all of this mutation roulette talk, I made a Formicid to mess around. The first sky beast chunk I ate gave me mutation resistance.

:saddowns:

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Attestant posted:

Inspired by all of this mutation roulette talk, I made a Formicid to mess around. The first sky beast chunk I ate gave me mutation resistance.

:saddowns:

that doesn't actually affect mutations from potions/chunks

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Elyv posted:

that doesn't actually affect mutations from potions/chunks

It's still amusing, tho.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

The worst mutation for Formicids is Frail, and will be the one I always aim to cure as fast as possible. Stasis does not combine well with low HP.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Vine Stalkers need more context or something. I think they're a cool idea, but they don't have any analogues in the dungeon, or really any reason to be there other than being a cool idea.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
They're the thing that crawled out of the Forest.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Vine Stalkers need more context or something. I think they're a cool idea, but they don't have any analogues in the dungeon, or really any reason to be there other than being a cool idea.

I mean, that is or used to be true for a lot of the races. Where do Halflings hang out, for example?

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I dunno, Halflings are pretty standard fantasy fare.

And yeah it used to be more true of other races, and they've done a good job incorporating them into things. I'd just like to see the same with VS.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Elyv posted:

I mean, that is or used to be true for a lot of the races. Where do Halflings hang out, for example?

Small villages.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

To me, being standard fantasy fare is an argument in favor of removing something, not keeping it. I wish they would rename deep dwarves to something other than dwarf.

Halflings are cool though, I'd rather they remove kobolds than them.

bisonbison
Jul 18, 2002

Yeah, I don't understand vine stalkers as flavor, and I hope that Lava Orcs get reskinned as salamanders cause I like salamanders and I like things I like.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Tournament start-time is 4pm in Gods one true time-zone, right?

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

bisonbison posted:

Yeah, I don't understand vine stalkers as flavor, and I hope that Lava Orcs get reskinned as salamanders cause I like salamanders and I like things I like.
Someone somewhere was probably not-stoned long enough to code them into existence so they probably have some input, but it wouldn't be too hard to ~flavour~ up the flavor text to reflect their wtf existence...

Mutations&Weirdness:
'Your bizarre plant/animal fused parts make you immune to rotting'
'You have very sharp teeth made of wood or something'
'For reasons beyond your leafy comprehension, healing wands and potions have no effect'

Drinking a potion of magic: 'you feel magical energy course through your ...roots(?)'

Kekekela posted:

Tournament start-time is 4pm in Gods one true time-zone, right?
God exists in FALSE time. In Time Cube world the tournament starts at 16:00.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's amazing how much of a difference being able to start with a level 2 weapon makes.

• Locked thread