Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
You should take advantage of Kiku's cadaver gifting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

You should take advantage of Kiku's cadaver gifting.

That's what I was doing and then I forgot to be doing that.

It is far too late at night to be playing this game.

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I need some advice guys. HOAK, Just cleared out Lair.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/legoman727/legoman727.txt

what armor should I be using?

Arte +5 Scale, Str +3
+4 Chain of Cold Resist
Arte +1 Troll Leather (Dex +3, Dam +6)
+0 Storm Dragon Armor
+0 Fire Dragon Armor

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
I still don't have internet access set up at my new place, and I'm having to play the tournament over a cell phone tether! :argh:

Anyway, my first guy is a Gargoyle Wanderer who just got his first rune. I'll either lose this guy because of my slow internet connection, or I'll win but it will take so long that gargoyle victories aren't worth anything anymore.

Reginald Bathwater
Dec 19, 2009

MINE EYES CAN BUT WEEP AS THEY BEAR WITNESS TO THE MAJESTY... THE BFG 9000!
Ogre win! Not playing in the tourney though, I can't deal with the lag.
http://pastebin.com/8B4QiNpT
code:
HP 304/304 (305) AC 37     Str 21 (24) XL: 26   Next: 89%
MP  40/40        EV 11     Int 18      God: Ashenzari [******]
Gold 4513        SH  2     Dex 10      Spells: 15 memorised,  0 levels left

rFire  . . .     SeeInvis +     x - +9,+8 giant spiked club (crush) (curse)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  +     W - +9 storm dragon armour (curse)
rNeg   + + .     Conserve .     (shield restricted)
rPois  .         rCorr    .     g - +0 hat "Stogru Qugen" {MR++ Stlth++}
rElec  +         rRot     .     e - -1 cloak (curse)
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Warding  +     (boots unavailable)
Saprov + . .     Stasis   .     a - cursed macabre finger necklace {Ward}
MR     ++++.                    X - ring "Stueg" {Regen +Fly rN+}
                                S - cursed +5 ring of evasion
                                p - +5 ring of protection

@: repel missiles, incredibly resistant to hostile enchantments, extremely
unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, beak, large bone plates 1, blink 1, herbivore 1, fast
metabolism 1, mutation resistance 1, saprovore 1, tough skin 1
a: Blink, Scrying, Transfer Knowledge, Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
}: 3/15 runes: barnacled, silver, gossamer

Skills:
 - Level 25.0 Fighting
 - Level 19.5(24.3) Maces & Flails
 - Level 4.3 Throwing
 - Level 15.0(20.2) Armour
 + Level 5.3 Dodging
 - Level 4.3 Stealth
 - Level 12.0 Spellcasting
 - Level 14.3(16.9) Charms
 - Level 19.9(22.1) Translocations
 - Level 6.0(9.1) Evocations

You cannot memorise any spells.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #####.       1%          2    None
b - Apportation           Tloc           ######....   0%          1    None
c - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          0%          2    None
d - Shroud of Golubria    Chrm/Tloc      ######....   0%          2    None
e - Portal Projectile     Tloc           ######       0%          3    None
f - Teleport Other        Tloc           ######..     0%          3    None
g - Haste                 Chrm           ######..     3%          6    ######.
h - Controlled Blink      Tloc           N/A          1%          7    #######
i - Swiftness             Chrm/Air       #####...     1%          2    None
j - Flight                Chrm/Air       #####.....   1%          3    None
k - Summon Butterflies    Summ           ##......     21%         1    None
l - Deflect Missiles      Chrm/Air       #####.....   83%         6    ######.
m - Phase Shift           Tloc           ######....   1%          5    ####...
n - Regeneration          Chrm/Necr      #####.....   1%          3    None
o - Spectral Weapon       Hex/Chrm       #####...     1%          3    None

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

legoman727 posted:

I need some advice guys. HOAK, Just cleared out Lair.

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/legoman727/legoman727.txt

what armor should I be using?

Arte +5 Scale, Str +3
+4 Chain of Cold Resist
Arte +1 Troll Leather (Dex +3, Dam +6)
+0 Storm Dragon Armor
+0 Fire Dragon Armor

I would wear the scale until you got enough ECA to put the advantage to the FDA.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there an option to make the webtiles autoexplore show you your path rather than instantly jump to the end? I find it disorienting to not see where I'm going but can't remember how to change it.

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Internet Kraken posted:

Is there an option to make the webtiles autoexplore show you your path rather than instantly jump to the end? I find it disorienting to not see where I'm going but can't remember how to change it.

show_travel_trail=true

should do it

Mayheim
Jun 15, 2006
Do monsters killed by summons still gives less exp?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
I'm going to be without home internet for about a week next month. Is there a way to build an offline version of the crawl.s-z.org nostaliga branch?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

explore_delay = 10

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how bad of an idea would it be to use an antimagic glaive as a vine? I need a good weapon and found this artifact glaive. I only have 10 mp with it equipped by maybe combined with the magic draining bite I could really gently caress up spell casters with this.

EDIT: I've found like 8 artifacts that could of been fantastic for this character but they all had poo poo stats :geno:

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Imagine it said "HP-15" or whatever, would you use it then?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I just dropped a corrupt on Ilsuiw and her band of merfolk.

They not only won, but won and killed me in the process before I could get out of that poo poo.

:gonk:

EDIT: Seriously she had like five Aquamancers with her not to mention the army of Javelineers and Impalers, what the hell was that poo poo.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
Are there any tournament teams with a spot free? Hoping for a win or two but I'm OK with joining any team really.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kaschei posted:

Imagine it said "HP-15" or whatever, would you use it then?

....good point. I was just desperate for a good weapon, but I think I solved that problem. Donald was carry a +2,+5 demon trident of electrocution and a shield of reflection. I need to train up shields to use it but it will solve some problems I'd been having with ranged attackers.

Yred status; still hilarious.

Yeah good luck with that Agnes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

I still don't have internet access set up at my new place, and I'm having to play the tournament over a cell phone tether! :argh:

Anyway, my first guy is a Gargoyle Wanderer who just got his first rune. I'll either lose this guy because of my slow internet connection, or I'll win but it will take so long that gargoyle victories aren't worth anything anymore.

Jazz the species/class/god scores are from when you started the character, not when you complete it. Take your time, don't wreck yourself and collect on that sweet, sweet Gargoyle score if you started it yesterday.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Infinite Monkeys posted:

Are there any tournament teams with a spot free? Hoping for a win or two but I'm OK with joining any team really.

I still don't have a team either if you wanna just make one

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Infinite Monkeys posted:

I started a team yesterday night and it's already full.

What I'm getting at here is if you started a team I'm pretty sure it would fill up real quick.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Why did I have to find a lajatang of speed with my DEFE? I'm not responsible enough to make the right decision here.

It's still pretty early in the game, should I enchant this up and start pumping Staves? I'm sporting a buckler and a flail of protection right now, and I'm relying on conjurations for dealing damage. I kind of think I shouldn't switch over at least yet -- Vehumet and starting FE book have been carrying me pretty well.

If I do decide to go with the laj, what should I prioritize defensively?

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
Deep Elves are hilariously bad at melee with -apts in most weapons and less health than most races. Don't do it.

Froggeryz
Dec 23, 2008
If anyone wants to join a team for people who are lazy and aren't playing a lot, feel free to join our team, Bingeing And Purgying.
    #TEAMCAPTAIN Froggeryz

1. Froggeryz
    2. Drone
    3. superterranean
    4. impureawesome
    5. fitzyfitz
    6. eyebrow

e: full!

Froggeryz fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 12, 2014

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same

Froggeryz posted:

If anyone wants to join a team for people who are lazy and aren't playing a lot, feel free to join our team, Bingeing And Purgying.
    #TEAMCAPTAIN Froggeryz

1. Froggeryz
    2. Drone

I'll join this team; I have exactly one win, and I mostly just splat trolls because o-tab-o-tab-o-tab-o-tab-o-tab-o-tab-o-tab.

(edit: I'm superterranean on there.)

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

Froggeryz posted:

#TEAMCAPTAIN Froggeryz

1. Froggeryz
    2. Drone

I'm in

Edit: impureawesome is the name

ImPureAwesome fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 12, 2014

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Froggeryz posted:

#TEAMCAPTAIN Froggeryz

1. Froggeryz
    2. Drone

Ok add me. It's fitzyfitz

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I just somehow survived a really stupid mistake (well, a combination of several really stupid mistakes really). Before Lair I accidentally wield IDed a Morningstar of Distortion. Oops, but distortion isn't a terrible brand, and a Morningstar isn't a terrible weapon, so I could deal with it. Plan was to use it until I found something worth switching to and found a scroll of vulnerability in case I got contaminated on unwield. Cleared Lair, cleared Orc, cleared the dungeon, and finally found a scroll of vulnerability on Snake:4, right around the same time that I was getting concerned that blinking away Naga Sharpshooters was going to get me killed.

Plan: go back to my stash, pick up a new weapon, unwield the distortion weapon, read scroll of vulnerability if I get contaminated.

What I did: go back to stash, unwield the distortion weapon (by dropping it), get banished to the abyss. Okay, I can probably fight my way to an exit, let me just equip... Wait, I didn't pick up anything: second mistake. I have no weapon. Got down to 4 hp with a no healing transient mutation before I realized that I had a scroll of acquirement. The 4 hp somehow lasted through killing enough enemies that I got to slow healing 2, which allowed me to heal up out of combat and eventually find an exit.

So, my first tournament character is still alive. Now just need to survive teleportitis, berserkitis, and the degeneration 2 mutation long enough to find some cure mutation pots.

E: All mutations cured and nijnaed the decaying rune from the Lernean Hydra.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 12, 2014

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Rocked my fifth win, a Gargoyle Berserker. Trog gave me a +7, +15 battleaxe of freezing as his very first gift and it was honestly gg from there. I got a few executioner's axes but could never manage to get the right brand I wanted (burning four Brand Weapon scrolls in the process) and even then couldn't get it enchanted high enough to overcome the +15 damage on the battleaxe.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/Brannock/morgue-Brannock-20140412-180558.txt

code:
1900129 Brannock the Conqueror (level 26, 282/282 HPs)
             Began as a Gargoyle Berserker on Apr 12, 2014.
             Was an Elder of Trog.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 04:23:26 (51615 turns).

Brannock the Conqueror (Gargoyle Berserker)        Turns: 51615, Time: 04:23:27

HP 282/282       AC 45     Str 29      XL: 26   Next: 19%
MP  29/29        EV 22     Int  9 (12) God: Trog [****..]
Gold 3114        SH  0     Dex 19      Spells:  0 memorised, 25 levels left

rFire  + + +     SeeInvis +     a - +7,+15 battleaxe of Gluttony {freeze, rElec rPois rN+}
rCold  + + +     Rnd*Rage +     T - +3 scale mail "Chimyod" {rF+ rC+ Int+2}
rNeg   + + .     Conserve .     (no shield)
rPois  +         rCorr    .     E - +0 mask of the Dragon {MR+ Acc+3 Dam+3 SInv}
rElec  +         rRot     +     F - +2 cloak "Qexof" {rC+ MR++}
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     W - +4 pair of gloves of Ethics {Dex+3 Int+1}
rMut   .         Warding  .     f - +0 pair of boots
Saprov . . .     Rnd*Tele +     o - amulet of the Archfiend {Faith rF+ rC+ Dex+1}
MR     ++++.                    J - ring of Vitality {HP+15 Regen}
                                L - ring of protection from fire
It took me an embarrassing amount of Gargoyle games (14) to finally win with one. I had four Gargoyles who were likely winners get splatted by overconfidence or by being overwhelmed by enemies. This time around I kept Fighting on for the entire game and never turned it off so I could get as much of that sweet, sweet HP as I could. Got Armour/Dodging to 5 before focusing entirely on Axes until mindelay, then turned them back on.

Got Abyssed in Snake and took quite a while before I could get out, and I incurred multiple bad mutations in that trip. Couldn't find any !cMut so I rushed through Vaults, blew up the entire welcoming party with Immolation & rF+++, then got every last consumable from my stash and dashed through Depths and Zot. Is it me or did they ramp up item destruction? I entered Depths with ~50 total scrolls, reached Zot: 5 with roughly 10. I had juuuust enough for what I needed (magic mapping, a couple teleportation, one blink) so that was good.

edit: I mentioned earlier that the game starts bogging down horribly during midgame. Closing Chrome entirely then restarting it seems to solve the issue, but only temporarily. There's some sort of memory issue going on I think.

Brannock fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Apr 12, 2014

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

code:
x - the +0,+5 giant club of a sewer (weapon) {freeze, Str-1 Dex+1 Stlth-}.

A giant lump of wood.

Base accuracy: -6  Base damage: 20  Base attack delay: 1.7  Minimum delay: 0.7

It has been specially enchanted to freeze those struck by it, causing extra
injury to most foes and up to double damage against particularly susceptible
opponents. It can also slow down cold-blooded creatures.

It affects your strength (-1).
It affects your dexterity (+1).
It makes you less stealthy.

This weapon falls into the 'Maces & Flails' category. It is a two handed
weapon.

It weighs around 33.0 aum.

This ancient artefact cannot be changed by magic or mundane means.
Trog gifted it to you in a sewer.
Great timing to get this gift from trog I guess.

e. although I do have to wonder if it's better than a base giant spiked club.

e2. no i don't, i'm dumb

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 12, 2014

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

31166 | Orc:4 | Gained mutation: Your vision is a little blurry. [a neqoxec]
44288 | Spider:2 | Lost mutation: Your vision is a little blurry. [potion of cure mutation]

I had blurry vision for that long without even noticing I had it. I was wondering why I occasionally kept failing to read those enchant weapon scrolls...

eyebrow
Aug 17, 2008

Froggeryz posted:

#TEAMCAPTAIN Froggeryz

1. Froggeryz
    2. Drone

I will. Cszo name is also eyebrow.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Hellioning posted:

31166 | Orc:4 | Gained mutation: Your vision is a little blurry. [a neqoxec]
44288 | Spider:2 | Lost mutation: Your vision is a little blurry. [potion of cure mutation]

I had blurry vision for that long without even noticing I had it. I was wondering why I occasionally kept failing to read those enchant weapon scrolls...
Once I thought "oh wow I didn't know I had three ECW3 scrolls" because I failed to recite one twice and I thought it was just failing to increase the enchantment and not failing to be read.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Oh god Lernean Hydra ow. I...guess I should have either stood and fought or blinked away. Forgot that hydra were fast in the water. Bleh, there goes that guy.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
"Stand and fight" is probably the worst possible option against a 27-headed hydra.

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Stand and fight" is probably the worst possible option against a 27-headed hydra.

You'd think so, but most beefy melee dudes can take the Learnean on without much trouble. When you have high AC, a bunch of weaker melee hits aren't actually going to do major damage, even if there's 27 of them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Unless you're covered in spikes. Then it impales itself trying to kill you.

So where do you go after reaching vaults:4 now? I don't feel like I could take Vaults:5 already, but I'm not sure where else to get exp. I supposed I could go to crypt but I normally ignore it. How difficult is the Depths relative to Vaults:5?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2014

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

You can probably do Crypt without much hassle, I tend to just check out Depths to see whats up. Depths is just more Vaults but with less Wardens and more Bees. Looks neat tho :)

E: I'd definitely save V5 till after those others, unless there's some particular combination of assholios in Depths. Depths has a lot of the badguys you'd see in V5 but just not so jampacked together.

heard u like girls fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 12, 2014

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
So I have a DrWz of Ash that's just gotten through Orc and Lair, mostly by spamming mephitic cloud and summon ice beasts. I feel like I'm going to need some beefier spells, and I have a book of Annihilations, but my skills aren't up to the task. Would I be able to get Fire Storm online in any reasonable amount of time?

code:
genericpseudonym the Summoner (DrWz)               Turns: 41170, Time: 06:14:42

HP 122/122       AC 13     Str  9      XL: 14   Next: 53%
MP  32/32        EV 17     Int 28      God: Ashenzari [*****.]
Gold 1084        SH  0     Dex 11      Spells: 12 memorised,  2 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     a - staff of summoning (curse)
rCold  + . .     Clarity  +     (armour unavailable)
rNeg   . . .     Conserve .     (no shield)
rPois  .         rCorr    .     x - +0 hat (curse)
rElec  .         rRot     .     M - +1 cloak (curse)
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     Z - +2 pair of gloves {rF+} (curse)
rMut   .         Warding  +     c - -1 pair of boots (curse)
Saprov . . .     Stasis   .     (no amulet)
MR     +....                    R - cursed +5 ring of intelligence
                                V - cursed ring of protection from cold

@: repel missiles, somewhat resistant to hostile enchantments, stealthy
A: breathe steam, unfitting armour, blink 1, deformed body, AC +8

Skills:
 - Level 10.9 Fighting
 - Level 6.7(10.7) Dodging
 - Level 3.2(6.7) Stealth
 - Level 10.2 Spellcasting
 * Level 11.2(13.6) Conjurations
 - Level 12.1(14.4) Summonings
 - Level 2.5(4.7) Translocations
 - Level 2.9(5.2) Fire Magic
 - Level 5.7(8.4) Air Magic
 - Level 2.0(4.0) Poison Magic
 - Level 11.5(15.2) Evocations

You have 2 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Apportation           Tloc           #####.....   1%          1    None
b - Blink                 Tloc           N/A          1%          2    None
c - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      ######..     1%          3    None
d - Summon Ice Beast      Ice/Summ       ######..     1%          4    None
f - Shadow Creatures      Summ           N/A          1%          5    ###....
q - Flight                Chrm/Air       #####.....   1%          3    None
r - Repel Missiles        Chrm/Air       #####.       1%          2    None
s - Summon Lightning Spi  Summ/Air       #######.     1%          4    None
v - Mephitic Cloud        Conj/Pois/Air  ######..     1%          3    None
x - Call Imp              Summ           #######.     0%          2    None
z - Magic Dart            Conj           ####         0%          1    None
B - Summon Butterflies    Summ           #######.     0%          1    None
The books I have available are Annihilations, Battle, Callings, Minor Magic, Party Tricks, and Dreams. I have a CBoE, and there are a few staves of conjurations sitting around in the dungeon. Also, I'm a pale draconian, so I have +1 apt for fire and air.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Man I love mutation roulette. Haven't had a bad mut yet, unles you count antennae.

code:

Innate Abilities, Weirdness & Mutations
You are too large for most types of armour.
You have a fast metabolism.
You can tolerate rotten meat.
You have tough skin (AC +1).
You have a pair of small antennae on your head.
You are partially covered in rugged brown scales (AC +1, +3% HP).
Your skin changes colour to match your surroundings (Stlth).
You are agile. (Dex +2)
You passively map a small area around you.
You are resistant to electric shocks.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Just discovered Octopodes can get the "your nose twitches suddenly" result from scrolls of random uselessness. I'm going to suicide this character now, my immersion is ruined!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viashino_wizard
Mar 26, 2010

Consider my interest piqued.

scalded schlong posted:

Just discovered Octopodes can get the "your nose twitches suddenly" result from scrolls of random uselessness. I'm going to suicide this character now, my immersion is ruined!

I see no discrepancies.

• Locked thread