Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I stopped playing around 0.12, right before lorcs, djinn, and gargoyles were added. What important changes have been made since then?

UncertainKitten posted:

You forgot the very most important update where cats get to use wands. This is clearly an inaccurate OP :colbert:

I'm genuinely shocked they made Felids suck less. Playing Felid was the most boring Crawl victory I've had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What's up with the knowledge bot? It doesn't display images anymore but the text still works.

Hellioning posted:

Dungeon is now 15 levels. After that there's the Depths, which is five levels. Also gargoyles are amazing.

Eurgh. I don't like the sound of this solely because I'm so used to the traditional 27 levels and gauging how safe it is to dive deeper based on which one I'm at.

Elyv posted:

Try FeCK, it's pretty fun.

CK is "fun" if you enjoy being arbitrarily screwed over whenever you actually manage to do well.

Well more than the game does that already.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
It only took me two tries to win with a Felid. First was a fighter that got TREMENDOUSLY poo poo luck and died to a giant on D:8 I think. Second was a venom mage that vomitted poison everywhere and strolled to an easy win. The only part that made it hard was how loving bored I was. I think I died like twice on Zot:5 just because I was so sick of playing Felid.

Its an inherently weird race though and I doubt I'll ever enjoy them just because I find the whole extra lives thing to be really unsatisfying in a rogue like.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Evocables is the skill of "this could be good if it didn't have a chance to backfire horribly".

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So are Formicids really ant people? I want to play as an ant that punches people in the face.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm just going to call them ants probably. Or punch ants. Because the mental image of an ant wearing boxing gloves highly amused me as a child and still does. Though thinking about it now, permastasis blocks off basically every traditional method of escape. I guess you really need to rely on stealth, which I've never been a big fan of.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Add elephant slug as a playable race in the next version.

uPen posted:

You can still use lucy's blink. Infinite digging also allows you to effectively always fight things 1 on 1 with no interference from ranged, casting or smiters. Just take your time and play safe.

Huh. That might be a good reason to worship her even as something other than a AK, though finding an altar on purpose is pure luck so hardly a reliable strategy.

Does stasis prevent you from developing mutations that change your speed?

EDIT: Since you have infinite digging and can make tons of 1x1 corridors, maybe summon butterflies would actually help a lot.

EDIT 2: Formicid is such a terrible name, I'm just gonna call em ants.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Apr 11, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I see. You know, if Ants can't suffer from teleportitis and berserkitis, playing mutation lottery with them is probably not such a bad idea. You're less likely to end up with a set of mutations that is literally unplayable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well, it would be useful to make a gap when you need to get away from something. The reason Lugonu's blink isn't that great is because its inferior to basically every other kind, but when its the only one you can use you'd probably appreciate it a lot!

So if ants have 4 arms, can I hold two small shields/one tower shield and not have it impact my unarmed in a negative way? Or do shields still gently caress with unarmed for them?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Viashino_wizard posted:

Formicids can still get Blurry Vision, which is by far the most dangerous mutation you can possibly have.

Blurry vision is hardly a disaster. Blurry vision is only a small (at level 1) chance for you to gently caress up reading a scroll. Potentially fatal if you need a scroll to bail you out of a bad situation, but most of the time its just a nuisance. Compare that to say, teleportitis throwing you into the middle of a vault full of dragons.

That said, blurry vision is even less of an issue for an ant. Whats the situation in which you need to read a scroll right loving now? When you need to teleport or blink. Except ants can't do either of those in the first place.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Despite having a billion extra arms, formicids can only use one shield and one weapon, and still get the same penalties for using a shield with unarmed or archery. They do get a couple nice bonuses, though: they can wield 2-handed weapons with shields and they get the same reduced shield penalties as other "big" races (trolls, ogres and centaurs). A formicid only needs 15 shield skill to eliminate the penalty from large shields, instead of the normal 25. Combine that with the +3 aptitude and you should basically always be using a shield.

Feh, lame. Oh well, I'm to committed to the idea of an Ant Monk to not try it at least a few times.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Vine stalkers are undead plant abominations. At least that is what they sound like from this blurb;

quote:

Limber in shape, Vine Stalkers are anthropomorphic masses of thick vines. They possess a once-humanoid core, parasitized moments before death by the magical vines. Lacking any other discernible features, their faces are dominated by their disproportionate, vicious maw with which they disrupt and devour the magical energies of their foes.

Magic courses freely through their bodies, and they can not only share any damage taken with their magical reserves, but in fact physically regenerate at an alarming rate. However these traits come at a price: the dual nature of their bodies makes them frail to the extreme and they cannot benefit from potions or wands to heal their wounds.

Living examples of adaptation, Vine Stalkers level up quickly and lend well to an all-out offensive style; trusting their stealth to choose their prey and then their regenerating capabilities to power through the wounds they may sustain in battle. Many members of the species however, are seen wielding magic quite competently and then switching to a hybrid style when their reserves start to run low, thus replenishing their shroud of magic and their spells' fuel with each voracious bite.

Their great offensive capabilities and intrinsic regeneration lead some Vine Stalkers to eschew more traditional defenses such as armour and dodging, although this proves fatally unwise often times when their judgement of their prey fails and they bite more than they can possibly chew.

They do come off as particularly strange since they have no precedence in the dungeon and there's no explanation for where they come from, but whatever. Its an interesting race so I'm okay with them. Do they count as undead or can they worship the good gods just fine?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what's the safest way to get exp out of the dungeon now? My old grinding route was this;

-Dungeon to 13
-Lair
-Dungeon to 18
-Orc
-Elf to 2
-Vaults to 4
-Lair branches
-Whatever is left based on my gear

Now though, you have to get a lair rune before entering vaults in the first place. I've never done that before, and on top of experience as a whole being limited by less levels it sounds really nasty.

Not My Leg posted:

Yeah, blurry vision is much less dangerous on a Formicid than just about anything else. You are already playing under the assumption that you don't have an instant escape by reading a scroll.

Related, I'm having some success with my FoFi of Nemelex Xobeh. Still early game, but I just cleared out Lair (Spriggan Forest End) and the first 3 levels of Orc without much trouble. I've definitely been helped along by the +0,+5 war axe of the Iron City of Dis {elec, rElec rPois rC+ SInv}. How long does it make sense to keep using this? Since I'm a Formicid, the goal is obviously to eventually get an Executioner's Axe and a Large Shield, so I'm obviously not going to run around with a War Axe forever, but should I drop it for the first Exec Axe I see, the first Ego two-hander, the first comparable artifact two-hander?

Obviously there are times the resistance will be important (I'll probably use it for Spider even if I have a better weapon), but where does the +0/+5 slaying and elec brand start to fall behind higher base damage?

Axes don't seem like a good choice for an ant. The main benefit they have no is cleave, but when you play as an ant you can dig yourself infinite 1x1 passages to ensure you engage enemies in favorable terms. Cleave is completely useless there.

That said, I'd drop it for the first executioners axe or better artifact you find. Don't get rid of it since the resists are good though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

PleasingFungus posted:

Huh. My route generally goes: D to Lair, Lair, D to Orc, Orc (possibly 1-3), D to 15, Lair branches 1-4, then grab whichever rune looks less suicidal, then Vaults 1-4/Depths/etc. Having to grab a rune before being able to enter Vaults certainly makes things more challenging, but I'm still surprised that you were skipping the lair branches entirely before Vaults... Spider/Swamp/Shoals/Spider 1-4 are quite a lot easier than Vaults 1-4!

It was mostly out of :effort:. The experience you get from the first 4 levels of the lair branches isn't that good, especially compared to Vaults 1-4. The most dangerous things to deal with at that point in the game are the really nasty uniques, and those can spawn in any of those 3 branches. So rather than waste real life time poking around in the lair branches I preferred to just go to vaults, get as much exp out of it as I could, and then storm through the lair branches. If I ran into an rear end in a top hat unique that I couldn't avoid, I would just back out.

Come to think of it, as much as I want to play a Punch Ant I should probably stick to something that has escape options until I get used to the new changes. I have no idea what new uniques were added, and since the knowledge bot is hosed I can't get exact stats on them. Rather not splat a late game character because an enemy did something totally unexpected and I had no good escape plan.

Am I right in guessing that a Vine Berserker is now the easiest character in the game to play?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Gonna try a Vine Stalker death knight. Once I get back into my groove though, its punch ant all the way.

Elyv posted:

Yes.

Also 27 staves is chief of staff, and there's a couple of other good ones which I don't remember anymore.

Archery has the best one. Its Merry Species Name. My first victory online was a Merry Octopus! :cthulhu:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright, time to win!

...or die on D:2 to a gnoll with a whip of electrocution.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Looks like Nergalle got bumped down the unique list. Just ran into her on D:10, which is way earlier than I'm used to seeing her. She might of been dangerous if I didn't have an entire army of zombies and flying skulls backing me up. Death's Door is really annoying when an enemy uses it though!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man it blows my mind that you guys can beat this game in only two hours. It takes me ages to complete a run. Granted I rarely sit down and focus exclusively on it, tabbing back to it while doing other things, but still I'm so loving slow.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Brannock posted:

It'd help if webtiles didn't bog down horribly after midgame or so. Is this a Chrome problem or something?

Webtiles is always a bit laggy for me. I've gotten used to it, but it can be pretty annoying.

Made it through lair with a Vine Death Knight. Feel pretty strong so far but I've got the sinking feeling I'm gonna run into the same problem I had with my Mummy Death Knight; my minions do jack poo poo in Zot and as a result I can't handle it. Granted Vines are better at fighting than Mummies but I'm still not sure how its gonna work out.

OP should probably mention that there's a new god by the way. That's honestly a bigger change to me than new races since gods can be used by everyone and there hasn't been a new one in a long time. It seems like a god built around stealth, I'm not sure how that works out but its probably nice for Ants.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there an option to make the webtiles autoexplore show you your path rather than instantly jump to the end? I find it disorienting to not see where I'm going but can't remember how to change it.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how bad of an idea would it be to use an antimagic glaive as a vine? I need a good weapon and found this artifact glaive. I only have 10 mp with it equipped by maybe combined with the magic draining bite I could really gently caress up spell casters with this.

EDIT: I've found like 8 artifacts that could of been fantastic for this character but they all had poo poo stats :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kaschei posted:

Imagine it said "HP-15" or whatever, would you use it then?

....good point. I was just desperate for a good weapon, but I think I solved that problem. Donald was carry a +2,+5 demon trident of electrocution and a shield of reflection. I need to train up shields to use it but it will solve some problems I'd been having with ranged attackers.

Yred status; still hilarious.

Yeah good luck with that Agnes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

"Stand and fight" is probably the worst possible option against a 27-headed hydra.

Unless you're covered in spikes. Then it impales itself trying to kill you.

So where do you go after reaching vaults:4 now? I don't feel like I could take Vaults:5 already, but I'm not sure where else to get exp. I supposed I could go to crypt but I normally ignore it. How difficult is the Depths relative to Vaults:5?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Apr 12, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Cool, got my Vine Death Knight to Zot but I know I'm gonna lose. Aside from my weapon, my gear is poo poo. Got no good resists outside of negative. Game staunchly refuses to give me artifacts worth a drat. I didn't even find conservation until I started doing depths, so all those supplies I'd conserved over the game went to waste as enemies slowly destroyed them. My once all mighty undead army has been destroyed by a barrage of ancient liches and quick silver dragons.

I had to randomly teleport in V:5 because I a warden locked the up stairs with a screen worth of enemies closing in on me. Land in the treasure room of one of the vaults. What's this? A scroll I haven't identified? It must be acquirement! Finally! It even gave me an artifact cloak! I haven't seen a single enchanted cloak all loving game, but now I'm gonna get a good one! Oh maybe things are finally going to turn around-

Well gently caress you too game :geno:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why the gently caress are there like 5 ancient liches chilling in Vaults:5. What the gently caress is this poo poo? Did 0.14 become Crawl hard mode? I'm seeing tons of monsters that normally I only see a handful of tops the entire run. At this rate if I went into Zot it would have 30 orbs of fire.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EvilMike posted:

This has always been able to happen and as far as I'm aware 0.14 hasn't made ancient liches more likely in Vaults.

Yeah I'm having a hard time buying that. Everytime I've done Vaults there has been one ancient lich, maybe two. Or none! This time there was a truck load of them though. There was also several quick silver dragons, which I've never seen more than 1 of. Maybe I'm just extremely unlucky but it seems like a lot of formerly rare endgame monsters are more common in this version. Depths at least seems to have vaults that are far nastier than most stuff you would run into in the previous version, again packing many ancient liches and quick silver dragons.

Regardless, its do or die time.

http://crawl.akrasiac.org/rawdata/InternetKraken/InternetKraken.txt

I am not liking these odds. My only source of fire resistance is a ring of fire protection. I have no way to stop yellow draconians from ruining my gear. My mighty undead army consists of a Bone Dragon, a Servitor, and a Spectral Titan. But hey, maybe I'll get lucky and Zot will have some nice loot? :v:

EDIT: Or zot will be inexplicably easy. Made it to Zot:4 without any trouble. Not a single OoF. Not even one vault. I guess I got a break.

EDIT 2: Well now I feel mighty dumb.

After all the whining about the game being harder I get the most pathetic Zot ever. 0 vaults, no challenges, just a straight crawl down to the orb. I ran into one Orb of Fire. Of course all it took was that one OoF to gently caress up my entire army, but since there was only one my lack of resistance didn't matter. :downs:

Not sure what to play next. Probably something easy to familiarize myself with the new dungeon flow more, and also to hopefully get a streak going.

I also didn't see a single player ghost the entire run. That's unusual.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Apr 13, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

icantfindaname posted:

Twice in the past ~30 games I've played I got banished from a D:1 kobold with a dagger of distortion. I think the game is trying to communicate something to me.

Play a Kobold Abyssal Knight. Obviously.

Thinking of trying a Ghoul Hunter since I've always wanted to use crossbows. Everytime I play a ranged character though I run into the problem of never finding enough ammo. Worshiping Okawaru can solve that problem but he's just so boring compared to other gods.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ugh. I got so luck with a Ghoul Hunter. I found 60 crossbow bolt by D:3. I was set up to have an easy early game, then a worker ant, giant frog skeleton, and player ghost all spawn in the same area. I had no escape option so I had to roll dice and came up just short.

Heavy Hands posted:

Help! How do I not splat this guy? I've actually had good luck from both Oka gifts and dungeon loot, but I have no idea where to go next.
Also found some nice randart rings in Orc with rC+ and rF++, which I haven't bought yet. Could I do Spider and Shoals with this guy? Or should I do Elves/Dungeon until depths/etc. first? Also how's my skill placement so far?

I'm actually feeling good about this guy and it scares me.

Go through dungeons to the depths and then do the two lair branches. You could definitely clear both of them with your guy but no harm in picking up extra exp and potential loot. You'll want to avoid Elf unless you get a source of conversation though. You won't die but they will wreck all your scrolls.

EDIT: End game deaths are hilarious.

quote:

Thrkk the Conqueror (level 27, -11/244 (249) HPs)
Began as a Merfolk Wanderer on Apr 12, 2014.
Was the Champion of Ashenzari.
Mangled by an Orb Guardian (22 damage)
... on Level 1 of the Dungeon.

How do you even get an orb guardian up to level 1 in the first place?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Apr 13, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
gently caress whoever decided to add shock serpents. Oh you don't have rElec? Well here's an enemy that is fast, can rack up stupid amounts of damage if you can't resist it, and appears loving EVERYWHERE in the snake pits. An area filled with tight corridors where the lightning bounces can kill you easily. Oh but if you do have relec its totally trivial. Such a great enemy.

Lost a loving MuSk to one because webtiles lagged and I moved through a bunch of lighting bursts :smithicide: If I had rElec it wouldn't of done anything.

EIDT: I mean snake is REALLY loving dumb now. You need rPois obviously, but you also need rFire for Salamanders and rElec for shock serpents. No other lair branch necessitates that many resists.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 13, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Honestly I'm not liking the changes to dungeon design made in 0.14. Only 15 D levels means you have a lot less chances for loot before you have to tackle areas where resistances greatly improve your survival odds. You can't even do Vaults to get more loot without doing at least one lair branch first. Removing floors doesn't sound like a big idea but you have to consider that each floor is a chance for more loot which means more tools available. It just means there is a bigger chance of you being RNG screwed.

VVVV I got abyssed twice on my last run and both times found an exit in less than two minutes. I thought they made escapoing form abyss:1 trivial but maybe I just got absurdly "lucky".

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 13, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

kaschei posted:

It's harder but it's due to experience changes and not the things people notice and complain about and see clusters of.

I dunno, to me it seems like monster spawning is a lot harder now. I'm seeing way more of monsters I normally only saw in small amounts. The only exception to this was Zot though which was inexplicably easy. Maybe its just confirmation bias, but I'd never seen a vaults:5 with multiple ancient liches riding quick silver dragons or a crypt:5 packed to the brim with sphinx.

Then there are the new enemies that are just horrifying additions.

VVV And I thought my D:11 with 6 hill giants was bad.

Did they actually scale vault spawning to work with the lower amount of dungeon levels or are people looking for lair gonna have to deal with this poo poo if they get unlucky?

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Apr 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah, you should got to Vaults and get banished by the Ogre mages instead :shepface:

EDIT: Nobody has won with a MuSk still. If I hadn't gotten mine killed earlier I probably would of been first :argh:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Banishment is a lovely mechanic. Back when the abyss was guaranteed doom it was horrible, now that its more survivable its still horrible but not as lethal. I've said it before but I don't think it really adds anything to the game. Its just another MR check like paralysis. The only difference between banishment and paralysis is that paralysis will kill you right away where as banishment will kill you through boredom. If it functioned in some different way it might be interesting. I suggested that instead of being an instant MR check banishment instead summon a special monster like an eldritch tentacle that attempts to pull you or your allies into the abyss. That way banishment can still occur but the spell itself isn't just another MR check and is an interesting hazard.

Also banishment from distortion weapons is stupid as hell since lets be realistic; you're not going to check every single monster that appears for a glowing weapon. That's tedious and dumb.

EDIT: Basically I've never heard an explanation for how banishment improves the game as a mechanic versus similar ones that are far less irritating. Its not a matter of how dangerous it is, its just loving annoying.

Firebatgyro posted:

Talking about the dumb ways you die is what this thread is about. Claiming the death was unavoidable and the fault of the game (when there are a million sources of MR you didn't put on) is annoying.

There was one MR ring which would of helped him. That does matter but don't act like those lovely weapons were at all viable. If he used those against Louise he'd just end up getting banished anyways since it would take forever to kill her with one.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Apr 14, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Firebatgyro posted:

MR+ is the most important resistance in the game. If you see a ring of MR+ you wear it at the expense of any other ring until you have enough MR from elsewhere that you feel comfortable. Dude died because he played badly, not because the mechanic is bullshit.

Edit: I've died to a million kobold/gnolls/orcs because I was to lazy to avoid their elec branded daggers or whatever. Should we remove them as well?

It doesn't matter. What would you have recommended if that MR ring hadn't been there? Especially with the decrease in early loot its perfectly possible to end up in that situation.

But that's not my main point anyways. In my experience Abyss:1 is pretty survivable for a mid level character if you play carefully, so I don't think banishment is the instant death sentence it used to be. It is however still stupid and not fun at all. You didn't explain what the it adds to the game that other MR checks don't, and that's what I'm focusing on. Banishment doesn't improve Crawl. Banishment is an annoying mechanic that just forces you to throw on MR gear and or get hosed. And there are plenty of MR checks that already make you do that! Banishment doesn't need to be one as well. Nobody likes it, the only response I ever hear when its brought up is "yeah it sucks" or "suck it up and play". Nobody actually defends it staying in the game.

As for banishment on weapon brands, its just dumb. Sure other branded weapons can isntakill you in the early game, but you won't die to them right away later on. Distortion brands continue to be annoying through the whole game. They are so rare though you can't honestly expect the player to go through the tedious process of assuming EVERY glowing weapons is distortion.

busb posted:

Abyss runs before you're actually ready for it are one of the most tense and fun things in crawl, getting rid of banishment in general is a hella terrible idea.

Not really. My reaction to abyss:1 is boredom since most things there aren't dangerous for a mid-high level character, and those that are can be avoided. Its only tense when you run into something absurd like an executioner.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Sometimes you get vaults that are just massive gently caress yous. Worst I can think of was a Very Ugly Thing and Yaktaur Captain on D:9. Storm Dragon on D:11 is probably worse though, especially if you haven't found lair yet.

VVV It being a vault doesn't make it any less stupid though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

The best amulet I've seen in ages. Just casually sitting out in the open on D:5. Yeah okay Crawl.

PleasingFungus posted:

8[2/2]: Is also a marker for extremely out of depth ([depth+2]*2 depth!) monsters in vaults; both traditional and valued by most devs. Good results: d:4 wolf spiders, d:5 centaur warriors, d:6 fire crabs, d:9 sphinxes, d:10 fire giants, d:11 liches.

It's a hand-crafted challenge: promise you some loot (behind glass), put extremely out-of-depth enemies between you and it.

The really clever part is the non-out-of-depth enemies; like Arrhythmia said, not fighting them (and leaving them to block the ettin & dragon) would have saved your life. Good design!

What if the Yaktaur and Ettin had been at the door instead? Then they would just open it and turn the level into a loving death trap.

That's not good design. Good design would be showing you the loot but also showing you the horde of absurdly strong monsters through the glass. The way it is, its just a beginner's trap.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Stuff like that is why I never got for 15 rune runs. I did it once and that was enough for me. So stressful losing a character that far. I mean I get mad enough when I die anywhere past lair.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

e: I feel like the wiki would be more up-to-date if it actually allowed editing. As far as I can tell you can't edit without an account and the site doesn't allow you to register for an account without admin say-so.

Am I using the same wiki as the rest of you? Because as far as I can tell, the wiki is the most up to date resource around. Maybe some specific details are incorrect but it seems right for the most part. It has info on all the new monsters which aren't even in the Knowledge Bot, which is also busted still.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

the glow posted:

Did you miss the part where I explained exactly why those weapons were perfectly viable? He has available to him MR+++, a +7 vorpal falchion, might, Heroism, and Finesse and you appear to be saying you don't see how it would be possible under those conditions to kill Louise...?

With 0 long blades skill? Yes, its going to take ages even with those buffs unless Louise appeared really late, given that he has no weapon investment and even a +7 falchion is still awful. I mean its not like Louise is a squishy mage, she's a heavily armored caster. So in your perfect world, he throws up those buffs, weilds is incredible crappy weapon, and then spends forever trying to hack Louise to death. Better hope nobody else comes along, or that she just spends the entire buff duration blinking away from you!

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

the glow posted:

You are completely clueless. Build this character in wizard mode, equip the falchion and fight Louise with it. You will win 100 times out of 100 and it will not even be a contest.

e: I just wizarded it myself here's the deal

Before: note this character's AC and HP are less and also I couldn't be bothered to do resistances so this guy is in much worse shape vs Louise than the original poster's character

After:

Oh hey look at that she survived all of 5 turns including the 1 turn it took me to walk into melee range. Clearly it was a tough fight as she did precisely 0 damage

Every post you make is completely insufferable. Stop acting smug as hell just because you have an arbitrary knowledge of all of crawl's mechanics. If someone suggested fighting Louise with a weapon they had 0 skill invested in, I'm pretty sure most people wouldn't think that would work out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

the glow posted:

Yes, I agree that they wouldn't think that. That's why I'm telling them (and you) that it will, in order to help them improve! I'm sorry if my pointing out that your advice is consistently terrible and provably wrong has upset you. In future we can avoid this if you cease to post advice that is terrible and wrong? Something to consider.

People might be more inclined to listen to you have if you didn't act like a smug prick over a video game.

PleasingFungus posted:

They were next to the door? I'm not sure what you mean.

Yes, it's a trap, but it's a trap which gives you plenty of time to bail out once you've realized the danger. (And gives you a good reason to come back to the level later!) It is a good and interesting vault.

I thought you suggested closing the door that leads into the vault to trap the monsters inside. I'm gonna disagree about it being a good design though. As I mentioned, its just a beginner's trap. An OOD monster can pose an interesting challenge but throwing an army of them into one room before someone can possibly handle it is just cruel. It turns the entire level into a death trap which is a serious issue since it makes retreating to it a risky move.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

EvilMike posted:

All of those are good things.

No, a storm dragon stomping around on D:11 is not a good thing. That's just dumb.

Humans Among Us posted:

Except that this is not the only vault or trap in the game. You already know after some play that you do not have/need/can kill every monster on a floor or open every door. Some floors are already generated with enough badguys to just ignore most of it and press on instead.

It's not insta game-over and you could reasonably expect there to be terrible monsters guarding the loot. If you manage to get away it can pose an interesting challenge to return to the floor after the monsters spread out, to see if you can get some upgrades.

Hence the word "beginner's trap". There are plenty of vaults that contain perfectly reasonable challenges so you shouldn't expect a new player to assume every single one is going to contain absurdly strong monsters. I imagine only after dieing/hearing about others dieing to crap like that are you gonna assume that the monsters in the vault are stupidly strong.

I don't know if I've seen that Vault before but I have seen similar ones. Loot sitting behind a glass wall in Crawl tends to mean "just try and get this rear end in a top hat", so I'd probably not risk opening the door in the first place. I wouldn't blame a non veteran for trying though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 14, 2014

• Locked thread