Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
Let's talk about Android Tiles for a sec, I tried it once briefly and it felt infuriatingly slow compared to playing on a keyboard. Has it changed at all? Does it get much easier as you get used to it? I'm probably getting a Note 3 and I'd kind of like to slap Crawl on there but the interface change made me sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

PleasingFungus posted:

For the new thread: here are the 0.14 Tournament Rules.

Basically, anyone playing online between April 11th and 27th will automatically be entered into the tournament, and will be able to earn 'points' and 'banners'. You can also join a clan with up to five other people to pool points. It's not really an intense competitive experience, but it's neat anyway.

My favorite thing about tournaments has been team members spectating and giving you advice. I play a lot better when people are yelling at me not to do the dumb poo poo I do all the loving time.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Firebatgyro posted:

Just make sure when you start a game you choose the .14 option and not Trunk or any of the older versions

Nostalgia Tournament would be fantastic....

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Speaking of nostalgia.

:thumbsup:

Well, yeah, BUT Vehumet has the old predictable gifts starting with Book of Conjurations... but the new Book of Conjurations, so guaranteed Battlesphere/IMB. That, plus the shitton of XP available from 10 levels of Lair, 7 levels of Elf, etc, is pretty great.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

CK is just playing Double Crawl.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Viashino_wizard posted:

Formicids can still get Blurry Vision, which is by far the most dangerous mutation you can possibly have.

Uh, why? I mean not being able to read blink and teleport scrolls is bad but Formicids can't use those anyway.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Jeffrey posted:

Haha is the short blades level 27 title really "politician", as it says on the wiki?
I feel like I'm missing something obvious here, why would it be that?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Sojenus posted:

Being adept at stabbing people in the back is a skill that will get you far in politics.

Oh, I was reaching for a reference of some kind. "Because... Brutus stabbed Caesar...?"

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Lawman 0 posted:

Im so mad right now.

code:
_You finish putting on the +14 plate armour of Minor Irritation {rElec rPois Acc+2 Dam-8}.
Oh my goodness, that is beautiful.

odiv posted:

My little DsAE of Vehumet is just truckin' along.
Man how do you get one of those anywhere? Run up to Orc Priests and Static Discharge them?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Dammit, CSZO crashed on me and now I get this message when trying to get back into my game:

"Another game is already in progress using your save. Hit any key to exit..."

How do I get this fixed?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I just lost a promising caster to being Abyssed by the VERY LAST Sorcerer in Elf:3. Like he was sitting in the smaller loot chamber. Dammit.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

A shapeshifter showed up on d:8 first as an Emperor Scorpion, and then as a Grey Draconian that threw a stone at me for 24 damage through 15-20 AC. What the poo poo.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

God, gently caress the Abyss, it is just the worst bullshit. So many turns, no exits.

e: Maybe I'll stop doing Elf....

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 14, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah, you should got to Vaults and get banished by the Ogre mages instead :shepface:

EDIT: Nobody has won with a MuSk still. If I hadn't gotten mine killed earlier I probably would of been first :argh:

Seriously though Banishment is an awful mechanic. Actually, all of the binary "does nothing 95% of the time and kills you the rest" ones are frustrating because convenient play and optimal play are so far apart. I'm not sure how you'do MR stuff better, though.

I can't even imagine the frustration of trying to get a MuSk going.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I mean the mechanic in general.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

The mechanic is dumb because it's so all or nothing and because nothing happens most of the time if you don't have the resistant then all of a sudden that one time you're dead.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Couldn't wield-IDing randart weapons looking for MR also get you banished as the weapon turns out to be Distortion?

the glow posted:

This is all true, yeah. The stuff I post about banishment is just trying to help people avoid it, because it is really annoying.
Your advice is obviously could but could stand to be delivered with just a touch less "...and gently caress you, you loving retard, l2p noob" attitude.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

How do I make it so staves start as "pick these up" by default?

e: hey, turns out volcanoes can have a Centaur Warrior and a Yaktaur! Neat-o!

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 14, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Thanks.

In other news, giant spores can actually hit you for literally 100% of your HP. Good to know, I guess!

e: looks like
code:
autopickup_exceptions += <a .+ staff
didn't do it

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Viashino_wizard posted:

They explode for 3d15 damage, so yes.

It hit me for 41 (out of my 41 HP). Close to maximum, I guess. Unlucky!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Prism posted:

Today I learned that, even if you resist poison, emperor scorpions hurt a ton. Ow.

As someone who is still on the 'get to Lair sometimes' step of learning the game, what order should the branches be done in? I got to Lair, then ran into Spider and immediately tried to rush down it; I was a gargoyle, I figured being immune to poison would make it trivial (it doesn't; I was OK until Spider:5, which destroyed me). Should I have turned around after 4 and gone into Swamp to look around? Or just stayed in Lair a little longer?

Branch endings are much harder than the branches themselves. I usually don't even peek into a Lair branch until I've cleared Lair itself, Orc, and as much Dungeon as I feel I can. Clearing out a couple of floors of Spider won't hurt you or anything, but wait to do the last floor until you're ready for much tougher opposition.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Slaapaav posted:

Ok I got a Ghoul Monk to the Temple. What gods are good for them and why? Bonus points for talking about gods other than Trog, Oka, Makleb!!!

Whichever god it was that drops corpses on you, because you need to eat corpses to heal, I guess?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

So I fired up a DECj to break the ogre monotony and I don't have a clue what any of this poo poo does beside magic dart and IMB nor what of it is any good.

I get (dart and) Searing Ray and then rush Battlesphere ASAP. It used to be level 4, so DECj could have it running by the end of d:2; that's no longer the case, but you should definitely have it pretty castable by d:4 if you train charms and conj, castable enough to be a panic button at least. Then it quickly becomes your bread and butter.

I macro Battlesphere to '2' and dart to '1' and mage-tab through a lot of the game that way, it's that good.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

Is Static Discharge still poo poo?

Well, I mean, do you really have any other options as an AE?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I've got a Wild Magic 2 mutation and a staff of Conjuration, but a Ring of Fire is still giving me a spellpower boost. Does Wild Magic not count as an enhancer or something??

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

legoman727 posted:

The moral of this story: Know when you can't handle something.

Thank you to everyone that convinced me to just give up on Gehenna and go for the win.
...now let's see if I don't gently caress up Zot 5 whenever the server comes back.

Leaving the dungeon with 14 runes? A SHAMEFUL DISPLAY. :colbert:

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

How's Force Lance? Vehumet just offered it.

Meh. At 5 MP, it just doesn't do enough damage or knock back consistently enough to be worth the cost. Throw a magma bolt at it and kill it, instead.

v: for Acquire scrolls, assuming I'm going Vehumet, I pick up a Staff and usually get an enhancer. Failing that, ABC - Always Be Choosing to acquire armor.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 16, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

dis astranagant posted:

So fulminant prism isn't doing enough to deal with packs of death yaks. I take it I should leave and come back when Vehumet offers me something that isn't poo poo?

Just take them out a few at a time with Battlesphere+IMB. You've got Conjurations around 15, right?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Hey, so with CSZO still down, if we add # TEAMCAPTAIN etc to our rc files on CAO, will we be able to play there and have it count? Or does it not count because we have in-process games on CAO or something?

Kekekela posted:

Hey so why'd you take this guy into Hall of Blades anyway? :laugh:
Same reason I didn't blink-scroll out of trouble. Willful stupidity.

Darth Windu posted:

I just caught up on it and all that happened was really ignorant people driving a really knowledgeable person out of the thread because he didn't handle them with kid gloves while correcting their horrible advice.

There's a difference between "handle with kid gloves" and "go out of his way to be a dick". I mean, I get that badplayers whining about "unavoidable" deaths when they could have been avoided with better play gets really annoying after a while, but that was pretty harsh?

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 16, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

spacejung posted:

So I have a trove that's asking for 6 scrolls of blinking - that's objectively way too much to part with unless I have a controlled-blink capable character, right?

They're just going to get burned by sticky flame!

(I can never resist troves but that sounds like a bad idea.)

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 16, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Angry Diplomat posted:

You could go Kiku for Haunt, or if you feel especially sassy you could eventually go TSO for an army of radiant dragons or somesuch absurdity.

What is a Radiant Dragon and how does anything TSO does boost summons?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

"Shall we hurl hellions at the intruder, fellow Hell Lords?"
"Can't. Too many loving butterflies."

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Person Dyslexic posted:

Someone asked about the wild magic mutation earlier and I don't think it was ever answered so here goes: it is incredible if the minor -casting chance doesn't cripple you. From what I dug up it counts as one enhancer for each rank of the mutation so having wild magic two means you have two permanent enhancers for ALL spells at all times. I used to hate it until I found this out... losing 7% chance to cast firestorm sucks until you realize it is now max power and smokes even hellions in one cast just, you know, don't blow yourself up using it.

Yeah, but does it count towards the three-enhancer limit, and if so how? Does Wild Magic count as one enhancer regardless of the rank, does each rank count as a separate enhancer, or does it not count as an enhancer at all?

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Nice vault someone made, yessir.

(Went downstairs, barely survived, Blink-scrolled away, killed the ones that followed me, came back and dug/burned my way in, killed everything.

e: unbreakin' them tables

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Person Dyslexic posted:

Nothing : 90
Wild Magic Rank 1 : 112
Wild Magic Rank 2 : 129
Wild Magic Rank 3 : 142

1 Enhancer : 112
2 Enhancer : 136
3 Enhancer : 161

Note that 1 rank of the mutation does indeed work exactly like an enhancer... with 2 enhancers and a single rank the spellpower still sat at 161. With 2 ranks and a single enhancer it was at 154, so they seem to operate as separate bonuses completely independently of each other. You can have 3 enhancers on and still get the full bonus from all 3 ranks of the mutation.

Is that more helpful?

Wow, I totally missed this post earlier. Thanks, that's really helpful!

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

You know, I think that armour made out of uniques (e.g. Purgy or Xtahua hides and the resulting armour) should be a little better than their mundane counterpart in some way. Not much, just enough to make them worth using over a vanilla equivalent.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

I started a HoWr on a whim and have had some incredible luck--+7 ring mail, an elec-branded war axe, and an amulet of rage. I'm terrified of losing him (almost did by stupidly berserking a 4-headed hydra, but managed to kill it).

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/LogicNinja/LogicNinja.txt

Any and all advice welcome, I'm bad at melee.

e: Splatted due to over-tabbing, of course. Derp.

LogicNinja fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 17, 2014

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Wow, gnolls have gotten 1461 kills so far this tournament.
Honestly, I hate gnolls. Halberd wielding gnolls on d:1 can basically be a death sentence, and rounding a corner on d:2 into a whole pack of gnolls (who immediately net you) is just as bad. I've splatted a ton of things without DE-level aptitudes to them--Na/Hu FEs, etc.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

Hellioning posted:

Man, I found a rune door, decided to open it, and found my squishy Tengu conjurer next to a whole bunch of insects. Still, I wasn't all that scared; the only things that might have killed me are the two soldier ants inside. So I just searing ray into the mass, and things are going pretty good. I'm poisoned for all of my hp, but I've got like 9 curing potions, so I thought I was good. I'm at 9 hp, but I'm at my final MP for searing ray, and the final soldier ant is almost dead. I'm thinking 'hey, it's only been hitting me for 4 to 5, so I should have one more turn to be able to finish him off then quaff a curing.

Nope. I should probably check to see how much damage things do before I try to do things like that.

Way to pull a LogicNinja

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

http://dobrazupa.org/morgue/LogicNinja/LogicNinja.txt

This fuckin' GrBe.

I have literally found like 4 rings (of which only 1 is useful and 1 was cursed) and nothing better than an unbranded handaxe and troll leather armour until d:12. D:12 finally had a labyrinth (+4 plate) and an orc warrior with a flaming battleaxe I took. But jesus christ that was obnoxious.

• Locked thread