Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
In the last thread I dug into the inner workings of Zin's recite ability. I might as well move it over here so it doesn't get lost forever. Thanks to HyperBowl for providing the code for the basic formula.

Zin's recite ability works by comparing your piety and invocations skill against a susceptible enemy's HD using the following formula.

code:
//Resistance is now based on HD. You can affect up to (30+30)/2 = 30 'power' (HD).
int power = (skill_bump(SK_INVOCATIONS, 10) + you.piety * 3 / 2) / 20;
// Old recite was mostly deterministic, which is bad.
int resist = mon->get_experience_level() + random2(6);
int check = power - resist;
Translating that from code, when you recite the game determines your "power", the monster's "resist", and then performs a "check". If your power is higher than the target's resist, the recite works.

Your power has two components: invocations and piety.

The amount of power you get from piety is straightforward, piety * 3 / 40 = power. At 200 (max) piety, piety contributes 15 HD of power. You lose 1 full HD of power for every 13 1/3 piety below 200.

Invocations is a little more complicated, because it uses the "skill_bump" function. For all skill levels above 2, skill_bump(skill, X)= (skill+3)*X. So, for recite, it becomes (invocations+3)*10. This is then divided by 20 to determine your power from invocations. At 27 (max) invocations, invocations contributes 15 HD of power. You lose 1/2 HD of power for every skill point below 27, until you hit 2 skill. For skill levels 0, 1, and 2 skill_bump = (skill*2)*X. So, if you are really trying to recite things with less than 3 invocation skill, each skill point contributes 1 HD of power.

Once you are above 2 in Invocations, the full formula is Power = ((Invocations+3)*10 + piety * 3/2)/20.

Enemy Resist is straight forward, it equals HD + 1d6 - 1.

If Power - Resistance > 0 Recite works, but the effect is based on enemy type and by how much you beat the enemy's resistance.

Enemy type is checked in the following order - Chaotic, Impure, Unholy, Heretic I(worships other god), Heretic II(everyone else). If an enemy potentially fits into two categories, only the first category counts for recite.

If the enemy is Chaotic

+1-4: Bleed or Smite (equal chance, smite guaranteed if enemy cannot bleed)
+5-9: Smite or Corona (equal chance)
+10-14: Ignite Chaos or Corona (equal chance)
+15 or more: Salt

If the enemy is Impure

+1-4: Bleed or Smite (equal chance, smite guaranteed if enemy cannot bleed)
+5-9: Rot or Corona (equal chance, rot will affect rot immune enemies if they have flesh)
+10-14: Holy Word or Corona (equal chance)
+15 or more: Salt

If the enemy is Unholy

+1-4: Daze or Confuse (equal chance)
+5-9: Confuse or Corona (equal chance)
+10-14: Holy Word or Corona (equal chance)
+15 or more: Salt, or go back to 10-14 effect (equal chance)

If the enemy is a priest or worshiper of another god, or a demigod

+1-4: Bleed or Smite (equal chance)
+5-9: Blind (33%), otherwise Antimagic (if susceptible), otherwise Corona
+10-14: Permanent Blind, Non-Permanent Paralyze, or Permanent Mute (equal chances)
+15 or more: Permanently Mad (confused) or Permanently Dumb (paralyzed) (equal chance)

If the enemy is just a generic heretic (everybody else who is susceptible to recite)

+1-4: Daze
+5-9: Daze or Confuse (equal chance)
+10-14: Confuse
+15 or more: Paralyze (1/3) or Confuse (2/3)

So, there again is everything you wanted to know about recite. Long story short, assuming a character with 27 invocations and 200 piety, you are guaranteed the best effects against anything up to 10 HD (for example, all mummies up to Priests), the best effects are possible against anything up to 15 HD (includes low HD random Pan Lords), and some effect is possible against anything up to 30 HD, although very unlikely (Orbs of Fire). Since piety decays over time, it's probably best to assume you don't actually have perfect piety and you might want to knock a HD off all of those numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

LogicNinja posted:

Uh, why? I mean not being able to read blink and teleport scrolls is bad but Formicids can't use those anyway.

Yeah, blurry vision is much less dangerous on a Formicid than just about anything else. You are already playing under the assumption that you don't have an instant escape by reading a scroll.

Related, I'm having some success with my FoFi of Nemelex Xobeh. Still early game, but I just cleared out Lair (Spriggan Forest End) and the first 3 levels of Orc without much trouble. I've definitely been helped along by the +0,+5 war axe of the Iron City of Dis {elec, rElec rPois rC+ SInv}. How long does it make sense to keep using this? Since I'm a Formicid, the goal is obviously to eventually get an Executioner's Axe and a Large Shield, so I'm obviously not going to run around with a War Axe forever, but should I drop it for the first Exec Axe I see, the first Ego two-hander, the first comparable artifact two-hander?

Obviously there are times the resistance will be important (I'll probably use it for Spider even if I have a better weapon), but where does the +0/+5 slaying and elec brand start to fall behind higher base damage?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

It demarcates them as especially scary floors that you better be ready for. The rune lock used to be there instead of vaults, with vaults located within them, and I agree it seems a little redundant now, but believe me, you'll see how depths are "different" the first time you visit.

As an example of how different, before they cut it back to 5 levels, Depths had as much XP available as the entire dungeon in .13.

My general route is usually

Dungeon to Lair
Lair (maybe skip 8 if it's a really bad ending)
Dungeon to Orc
Orc
Clear dungeon
Pick a Lair Branch, do 1-4 (maybe 5 if it's an easy one)
Do the other Lair Branch
Do the endings of both Lair Branches
Vaults 1-4
Poke around in depths
Vaults 5

Throw Elf 1-2 in anywhere after Orc depending on MR, and Elf 3 in anywhere after that depending on MR (or just don't do it at all).

As for why axes on a Formicid? A claymore has 1 more base damage than an executioner's axe, that's obviously better, but I think cleaving more than makes up for it in all the cases where you can't create a hidey hole to fight from. I don't really care about the difference between mindelay at 24 and mindelay at 26, because I'm probably taking my weapon skill to 27 anyway. I will say that I don't think any weapon choice is clearly incorrect for a Formicid.

Long Blades - Highest single target damage and digging allows you isolate single targets.
Axes - Almost as powerful as long blades, better if you aren't isolated against a single target.
Maces - Hydras suck. Also blessed demon whips are great, but you probably should have been a different race if you wanted to use 1-handed weapons anyway.
Pole-Arms - Probably the weirdest choice, but gives some interesting options with digging. If you can place a weak enemy between you and a horde of enemies, you can use reaching to pick the real threats off one at a time without allowing them to get in range.
Staves - Okay, I forgot that staves existed, but maybe a caster could make good use of a Lajatang with low weapon skill.
Short-Blades - FoEn?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

In all honesty? Because I'll forget that it's unfocused instead of turned off, and once I see that 26.2 how can I pass up going all the way to 27. You're supposed to throw good money after bad, right?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I just somehow survived a really stupid mistake (well, a combination of several really stupid mistakes really). Before Lair I accidentally wield IDed a Morningstar of Distortion. Oops, but distortion isn't a terrible brand, and a Morningstar isn't a terrible weapon, so I could deal with it. Plan was to use it until I found something worth switching to and found a scroll of vulnerability in case I got contaminated on unwield. Cleared Lair, cleared Orc, cleared the dungeon, and finally found a scroll of vulnerability on Snake:4, right around the same time that I was getting concerned that blinking away Naga Sharpshooters was going to get me killed.

Plan: go back to my stash, pick up a new weapon, unwield the distortion weapon, read scroll of vulnerability if I get contaminated.

What I did: go back to stash, unwield the distortion weapon (by dropping it), get banished to the abyss. Okay, I can probably fight my way to an exit, let me just equip... Wait, I didn't pick up anything: second mistake. I have no weapon. Got down to 4 hp with a no healing transient mutation before I realized that I had a scroll of acquirement. The 4 hp somehow lasted through killing enough enemies that I got to slow healing 2, which allowed me to heal up out of combat and eventually find an exit.

So, my first tournament character is still alive. Now just need to survive teleportitis, berserkitis, and the degeneration 2 mutation long enough to find some cure mutation pots.

E: All mutations cured and nijnaed the decaying rune from the Lernean Hydra.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 12, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

Today I learned that, even if you resist poison, emperor scorpions hurt a ton. Ow.

As someone who is still on the 'get to Lair sometimes' step of learning the game, what order should the branches be done in? I got to Lair, then ran into Spider and immediately tried to rush down it; I was a gargoyle, I figured being immune to poison would make it trivial (it doesn't; I was OK until Spider:5, which destroyed me). Should I have turned around after 4 and gone into Swamp to look around? Or just stayed in Lair a little longer?

First, you are correct, Emperor Scorpions are a big gently caress you in Spider if you aren't ready to be hit hard. Second, in terms of your path through the early to mid game, you should almost always clear all of Lair before entering either of the Lair branches. In fact, you should probably clear significantly more than that. Through the Lair branch ends, a good route is something like this.

Dungeon to Lair
Clear Lair
Dungeon to Orc
Clear Orc
Clear Dungeon
Pick a Lair Branch, clear through 4
Clear other Lair branch through 4
Pick whatever Lair branch end seems easier and do it
do the other Lair branch end.

Minor deviations can include avoiding particularly difficult Lair:8s until you are more experienced and avoiding Orc:4 until you are more experienced if sorcerers and high priests are giving you too much trouble. This route isn't set in stone, but it's a good guide to follow at least until you can articulate a good reason to do something else.

E: Of course, in my current game I didn't follow this route at all, and cleared the dungeon before setting foot in either Lair or Orc. My good reason, I forgot I skipped the Lair entrance and just kept going.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Apr 14, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Prism posted:

I should definitely have been more careful then. I didn't even see Orc, let alone go in it; I went into Lair as soon as I saw it, and I went into Spider as soon as I saw that. And despite that I still managed to see the rune, though I didn't manage to pick it up. It still wasn't a great plan, but at least I know more for next time.

When you're new there's nothing that really tells you not to enter the Rune branches when they show up, so it's pretty natural to just dive in.

The other big branch "gotcha" for new players is Slime. Slime shows up mid-Lair, so you might be tempted to do it at the same time as the other Lair branches, but it's way more difficult. At the earliest it's a branch you think about when you're considering doing Vaults:5, but have a cloak of preservation, rMut, Stasis, and Clarity (or you worship Jiyva). Otherwise it's post-game content.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 15, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Internet Kraken posted:

"Oh no, there's like 8 gnolls and a sergeant coming to kill me! Instead of just walking away, I should try using this legendary deck of escape Nem gave me! :downs:"

Proceed to draw the Tomb, which traps me inside rock walls with no way out for many turns. And then when it expires I'm surrounded by all the gnolls that I could of just walked away from.

My favorite recent death was drawing from a deck of destruction to take out a hill giant before it could close to melee. Oh good, I got a draw from the deck of oddities, and I got wrath, and it chose Okawaru. I can totally deal with 2 Merfolk, a Merfolk Impaler, a Frost Giant, and a Fire Giant on D:10.

Couldn't even shaft myself quickly enough to escape. Thanks Nem!

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

staplegun posted:

Any suggestions on combinations on getting Speed Demon III (find a rune within 27 minutes)? I've managed to make it to the bottom of a branch on a few occasions as a Spriggan Assassin but I pretty much always get splatted before I'm able to make any headway towards the rune vault.

SpAK, run toward the rune vault and corrupt it?

E: Speaking of Abyssal Knights, if you banish yourself to the abyss to escape a threat, does everything just sit still on whatever floor you escaped from? I'm wondering if you can just wander the Abyss for a while and then come back, or if you have to have an actual plan to deal with the threat you escaped from (like heal up, or God help you, Abyss scum for enough experience/gear to beat whatever it was you ran from).

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Apr 17, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
What's a good level of skill to have before you think about upgrading your weapon, assuming you have something worth upgrading to. I have been going off the idea that you don't want to wait until min-delay to switch, you would be seriously handicapping yourself using a war axe over an executioner's axe until skill 26, but you also don't want to get double moved on when you attack. Based on that, I've been waiting until delay=1.0 to switch. It's unlikely you are going to get double moved on by anything once you are at 1.0 delay, and the things you are going to get double moved on by at 1.0 delay (unseen horrors, spriggans, some spiders) are going to be double moving on you anyway.

Ignoring corner cases (currently using a poo poo weapon, need a specific brand, need a specific resist, etc.) does switching at 1.0 delay sound reasonable?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Internet Kraken posted:

So as a Zin worshiper is there anything stopping me from abandoning him, chugging a ton of mutation potions to get a good set, and then rejoining him after doing so? From what I understand the good gods only care about you abandoning them if you worship an evil god, so I don't see why I couldn't just abandon and rejoin later to get around Zin's rules.

You can, and as long as you have a lot of gold, it's easy enough to donate your piety back up (you can also just switch to another good God). Kaschei is right though, you can't try over and over again, because Zin will only clear mutations once.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

LogicNinja posted:

Can't seem to get this to work for me.

I've got a +9/+10 Battleaxe of Pain and Death (venom, rN+ Dex+3 SInv) and a +6/+3 war axe (elec, rC++). 3 fighting , 15 axes, no slaying damage, 24 STR.

Which is better? Or should I use the elec axe and swap in the battleaxe for high-AC opponents?

I agree with Jeffrey, unless you are trying to stick with 1-handers, the Battleaxe is better. Also, I feel like there's probably a better choice than axes if you're going 1-handed.

E: You are not going with 1-handers, so all is good.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Is it worth dropping some skill into bows for the +8/+8 bow of Krishna {speed, Dex+3, sInv}? A +8/+8 bow of speed seems pretty great, but it's not a long bow, and I hadn't really planned on picking up bows at all. I'm a HOFi, so my aptitude isn't terrible (-1) and it might be nice to have ranged options outside of a pile of evocables. If I do go into bows, what's a good amount of skill to get it usable?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

I guess that'd be a good one to test, especially with the speed brand changes. I don't think running out of arrows faster is a huge problem, though I guess that depends on getting a good amount of elemental arrow drops.

I don't think running out of arrows will be a problem. I haven't shot any arrows all game, so they should be lying all over the place. Also, thanks to everyone who pointed out it was a longbow, I just took a quick glance and then forgot.

Looks like I'll be training bows for a little while, then hopefully getting my first tournament win. I already have three runes, so it's just a matter of deciding when I want to take on Zot (and whether I want to die going for 15 runes again). I have three runes because I wisely decided to do Slime before I even entered Vaults. This is a pro move and not a terrible idea in every way (it is a really terrible idea). I thought I would try it because I had AC near 50, all artifact gear (no corrosion), inherent clarity, rMut and Stasis amulets, great resistances, and all the evocables. It was still a terrible idea that should not have worked.

Mutation roulette question. Would you take Slow Healing 1 in exchange for inherent clarity and sInv?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Brannock posted:

Yes I would, especially if I didn't care about turncounts.

I've won one game ever, so I'm really not worried about turncount. Also, since slow healing 1 no longer applies out of combat (neither does slow healing 2), I don't even think it's that big of a turncount hit.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Brannock posted:

Man I can't keep up with all the changes. In that case then Slow Healing 1 is even more forgettable than it was before I guess, and having clarity is Real Good.

That's what I thought too. I went with it until I drank a "beneficial" mutation potion in Cigotuvi's Fleshworks and my Hauberk fell off because of horns. Slow healing, fine, trying to get back to my stash with no armor, less fine. Fortunately, 10 mutation potions and 6 cure mutation potions (all from the Fleshworks) make it really easy to restart mutation roulette.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

PleasingFungus posted:

I think it's pretty normal, for a 1000+line function written over more than a decade by a dozen people.

Never drink benemut if you aren't ready for the horns.

(What did you end up with at the end?)

I normally wouldn't, but it honestly didn't even occur to me that the Hauberk was incompatible. Now I have:

Claws 2
Rugged Brown Scales 1 (+1 AC. +3% HP)
Thin Skeletal Structure 1 (+2 Dex, +Stealth)
Fire Resistance 1
Mutation Resistance 1
Passive Mapping 1
Robust 1 (+10% HP)
Strong 1 (+2 STR)

I will miss sInv and Clarity, but I'll take it.

E: I like the idea that your horns start growing and then all of your armor just falls off.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Apr 22, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

dis astranagant posted:

When you have a plan for dealing with having multiple berserk deep trolls and/or stone giants summoned on top of you. People used to like making a tiny cave somewhere and waiting it out with permafood (drop your scrolls, one of his wrath effects is potentially well over 100 fire damage.

You can no longer wait out wrath. In .14 both your God acting and the reduction of your penance counter are dependent on XP gain. (Maybe that's what you meant by "used to" but I wasn't sure).

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I ended up going with the Bow of Krishna and it worked pretty well. It was trivial to get enough skill into bows to reach .4 delay, which makes it a nice little machine gun. Of course, then I found a Vampiric Executioners Axe, which makes me nearly invincible (against natural enemies), so it looks like frequently switching weapons is off for now. I'm going to clear down to Zot 5 and then decide whether I want to go for more runes. Vampiric isn't really a useful brand for Hells, Pan, or Tomb, so if it comes to that I'll probably go TSO, rebrand the axe as holy, and then get back to shooting stuff.

E: Forgot that shortly after I finished putting skills into Bows I found the Crossbow Hellfire in Depths (which is actually Hellfire branded in .14, so it's effective against fire immune enemies).

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 23, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Neodymium posted:

Finally got my first ascension!

code:
rFire  + + .     SeeInvis +     b - +8,+9 great mace (holy)
rCold  + + .     Clarity  +     r - +11 gold dragon armour of a volcano {rPois rF+ rC+ Dex+5 Int+1 Dam+5}
rNeg   + . .     Conserve +     (no shield)
rPois  +         rCorr    +     A - +0 hat {MR+}
rElec  +         rRot     +     g - +1 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
SustAb . .       Spirit   .     (no gloves)
rMut   .         Warding  .     s - +1 pair of boots {rF+}
Saprov . . .     Rnd*Tele +     M - amulet of clarity
MR     ++++.                    O - ring "Erik" {Wiz rC+}
                                v - ring "Pnootsaa" {Hunger- rElec MR+ SInv}
Even if it's a cheap easy Gargoyle win, it's a win.

I splatted this exact race/class/god combo in Zot 5 before, but the ascent was surprisingly painless. A great gear loadout probably saved me from my own tendency towards boneheaded mistakes - I escaped some situations where I should have died via dumb luck. That said, with a win under my belt I feel like I can play characters that take skill instead of just half a brain.

This is my Gold Dragon Armor, pretty cool huh. It's from a volcano. I don't know which one, just "a volcano." Also, I'd like to introduce you to my ring, Erik.

E: I also once felt that winning an easy combo (MiFi) meant I could play characters that take skill. My zero ascensions since then suggest otherwise.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
I just died on my orb run because I fat fingered three moves at once just as a firestorming pan lord came on screen.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
So, as I said, I died during my ascension to a firestorming Pan Lord on Z:4. That wasn't the only fun thing on that run though, I also got this party to chase me out of Z:5.

code:
 95190 | Zot:5    | Got the Orb of Zot
 95193 | Zot:5    | Noticed an orb of fire
 95200 | Zot:5    | Gained mutation: You are frail (-10% HP). [an orb of fire]
 95206 | Zot:5    | Noticed Cafub the pandemonium lord
 95207 | Zot:5    | Noticed Xois the pandemonium lord
There were also more minor demons around. I hasted myself and ran, straight into another OOF and an Ancient Lich. Why can't every orb run be like my first one - oh look, a Pan Lord, just as I made it to the stairs, goodbye.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Sage Grimm posted:

Don't bash the chain mail. It's a good mundane mid-tier armour.

I agree. I feel like chain mail kind of hits the sweet spot for an early melee character of providing decent AC, but not being so heavy that it tanks your EV and Accuracy. I base this more on feel than any actual numbers, but I think having nothing between scale and plate (or ring and plate) would mean early melee characters either feel under armored or over encumbered.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jeffrey posted:

"Train armour if you want more AC" is probably the only rule you need. If you're worried about accuracy, train fighting or weapon skill. If you're worried about spellcasting penalty, train the spell school.

This is pretty good advice. The actual reduction in penalty you get from training armor is relatively small and can generally be ignored. If I was at home I could post numbers, but I'm not, so :effort:

Also, sorry team Jorgrun or Walk for being the only team member to not get a win. By all rights I should have been able to get at least two (a 6 rune GrFi that died to Asmodeus and a 4 rune HOFi that died on the orb run), but I am not good. It didn't help that I decided to spend the last bit of the tournament splatting combos I'm really bad at.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Nicolae Carpathia posted:

Remove silver stars

Both of their spells work by dealing ridiculous amounts of damage to a few,
vulnerable species and little or no damage otherwise, which does not make for
an interesting monster.

Weren't they incredibly rare too? Did they even appear outside of Angel themed Zig floors?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Any advice on getting a Draconian Transmuter through Lair? I feel like every game I attempt with one goes the same. It starts with "oh God, there's something poisonous or remotely threatening, I'm going to die." Then blade hands gets castable and it becomes "oh God, nothing is threatening and hubris is going to get me killed." My basic strategy has been to pump transmutations early to get spider form castable (not reliable, just white miscast effects). Once it's castable I can use spider form before confronting anything threatening. Once spider form is white, focus unarmed combat until it's ~10. Once I have decent unarmed combat, go back to transmutations until blade hands is reliable. Still, once I hit Lair I feel just slightly outclassed. Yes, I can shred yaks, but a pack of them will still probably kill me if I don't have a positioning advantage.

As for Draconians, are the various "mature" forms as unbalanced as they seem? Mottled, Red, and Green all seem extremely powerful (at least for early/mid game). I've never had Black, but disc of storms breath seems pretty awesome. And yellow is probably decent for a transmuter since it gives another auxiliary attack. Contrast that with White (like fire but without a freezing cloud, also, your dragon form has rF-), Pale (running away is good I guess), Grey (oh well), and purple (maybe this is actually good, I have no idea).

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Poulpe posted:

On Okawaru's wiki entry it lists the monsters that can be sent after you as punishment, but today I had several Elven Master Archers and Elven Blademasters sent after me, which don't appear in the list. Does anyone know how else it may have changed?

They bumped up his wrath in .14 to make it more comparable to Trog's. I'm not sure all the changes, but definitely lots of titans and giants. It's still very manageable if you're doing the normal thing of switching to the good gods after 3-5 runes before doing extended.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
^ Invisibility isn't in the starter book anymore, so there's no guarantee an enchanter will have it. Dith's aura also gives a 1d4-1 penalty to enemy accuracy. You also get shadow form, which is basically invisibility but your attacks suck.

tooterfish posted:

Vampires don't appear to recover from stat loss naturally while bloodless, so those int losses start to rack up.

My understanding is that stat recovery is considered a type of healing by the game. If you won't heal naturally (DD, Slow Healing 3, Bloodless Vamp) you also won't recover stats naturally.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 8, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Serephina posted:

Please note that while Dith makes you amazing at stabbing, that's literally ALL she does. If you can already handle the hunger costs associated with invis, she offers practically nothing of worth. IE good idea for Spriggans, god-awful idea for Vampires. In that case I'd consider other gods that let you get past magic-immune-and-see-invis enemies. Like, say, Nemlex.

vvvvvvv Edit: Trunk changes so fast I feel that it's poor form to assume that 1) everyone plays it in the first place and 2) their version includes said changes. I generally assume stable offline tiles unless told otherwise.

Fair enough on trunk. I tend to assume everybody plays trunk, plus I honestly didn't remember that was a current trunk change and not a .14 change.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Everybody always ignores MR and then complains about getting Abyssed, right? Well, not today, this should be good enough to poke around in Elf.

Or not. I died shortly after to an executioner.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Any advice on playing a DsFE of Kiku that just got to Lair? I've never had much success with casters, and now that I've got this one to Lair I'm not sure what to do. My strategy to this point has been to melee weak things, Flame Tongue most things, Throw Flame at things I don't want getting close, and use hallways and conjure flame to kill anything that hits hard (combined with liberal use of Sublimation of Blood to keep casting).

I took Kiku because I have decent aptitude for necromancy and everybody says that Kiku's a better God for a non-necro start.

Some select stats.

code:
NotMyLeg the Conjurer (DsFE)                       Turns: 13726, Time: 01:14:14

HP  69/69        AC  6     Str 12      XL: 10   Next: 70%
MP  25/25        EV 15     Int 19      God: Kikubaaqudgha [****..]
Gold 599         SH  0     Dex 13      Spells:  5 memorised, 12 levels left

rFire  + . .     SeeInvis +     q - +3,+4 quarterstaff (chaos)
rCold  . . .     Clarity  .     F - +1 robe {rN+}
rNeg   + . .     Conserve +     (no shield)
rPois  .         rCorr    .     (helmet unavailable)
rElec  .         rRot     .     (no cloak)
SustAb . .       Spirit   +     (no gloves)
rMut   .         Warding  .     (no boots)
Gourm  .         Stasis   .     D - amulet of conservation
MR     .....                    r - +3 ring of evasion
                                u - ring of protection from fire

@: bribing [], not resistant to hostile enchantments, unstealthy
A: antennae 3, thin metallic scales 2, powered by death 1, strong 1, evolution
1, magic shield
a: Receive Corpses, Renounce Religion

Books
 b - a book of Flames   

Spells                             Type                      Level
   *Flame Tongue                      Conjuration/Fire             1
   *Throw Flame                       Conjuration/Fire             2
   *Conjure Flame                     Conjuration/Fire             3
   Inner Flame                        Hexes/Fire                   3
   Sticky Flame                       Conjuration/Fire             4
   Fireball                           Conjuration/Fire             5
 x - Kikubaaqudgha's Tome of Darkness
   (Kikubaaqudgha gifted it to you in a sewer)   

Animate Skeleton                   Necromancy                   1
   Corpse Rot                         Necromancy                   2
   *Sublimation of Blood              Necromancy                   2
   *Vampiric Draining                 Necromancy                   3
   Control Undead                     Necromancy                   4
 O - Kikubaaqudgha's Collected Works on Unholy Rituals
   (Kikubaaqudgha gifted it to you on level 8 of the Dungeon)   

Excruciating Wounds                Charms/Necromancy            5
   Dispel Undead                      Necromancy                   5
   Twisted Resurrection               Necromancy                   5
   Simulacrum                         Ice/Necromancy               6
   Death Channel                      Necromancy                   6
 Y - a book of the Earth   

Leda's Liquefaction                Hexes/Earth                  4
   Bolt of Magma                      Conjuration/Fire/Earth       5
   Statue Form                        Transmutation/Earth          6
   Iron Shot                          Conjuration/Earth            6
   Shatter                            Earth                        9
Miscellaneous
 A - a phial of floods

Skills:
 - Level 2.9 Fighting
 - Level 6.0 Staves
 - Level 1.7 Dodging
 - Level 1.7 Stealth
 - Level 1.0 Shields
 - Level 7.2 Spellcasting
 + Level 8.6 Conjurations
 - Level 7.1 Necromancy
 - Level 6.1 Fire Magic

You have 12 spell levels left.
You know the following spells:

Your Spells              Type           Power        Failure   Level  Hunger
a - Flame Tongue          Conj/Fire      #####        1%          1    None
b - Throw Flame           Conj/Fire      #####.       1%          2    None
c - Conjure Flame         Conj/Fire      #####...     1%          3    ##.....
d - Sublimation of Blood  Necr           ####......   1%          2    None
e - Vampiric Draining     Necr           ####......   1%          3    ##.....
Things I immediately noticed looking over that, I should probably memorize Bolt of Magma and/or Fireball. I also should probably take some evocations since I have a Phial of Floods.

E: Wait, Bolt of Magma is a three school spell, I'm probably not close to casting that.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 12, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Never actually got around to playing one. How was the tension mechanic "fundamentally broken"?

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Are Silver Statues no longer vulnerable to disintegrate in Trunk? My last character nearly died in the Roulette of Golubria because I wasn't prepared for not being able to disintegrate the silver statue in the center. I ended up killing it and came out fine (it is only a silver statute after all) but it was still a bit of a surprise.

Of course, I still died on Elf:3. I was a FoFi of Qazlal, so my natural noisiness drew out most of the ending vault all at the same time. I had planned for that, and already had a murder hole dug, but Jorgrun was hanging out in the end vault, so he kept digging me out of my murder hole. Still, managed to kill everything that swarmed me and heal up. Then a sole Deep Elf Annihilator wandered out. I retreat to the murder hole so I can force him into melee, he comes in: crystal spear, iron shot, crystal spear, game over.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
When I think to myself, "this looks like the Lernaean Hydra ending," the correct next move should be to leave and come back later, not to go see if I was right. RIP first Formicid that I actually got a rune with.

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Angry Diplomat posted:

New V: 5 is a loving mess because there simply aren't any strategies that work at all reliably no matter how much you plan and prepare. It was challenging before; adding hard counters to the preferred strategies (wardens for stairdancing and open corners for rushing to the outside) seems extreme to the point of wrongheadedness, to me.

Be a gargoyle, get rF+++, get a bunch of scrolls of immolation, get a disc of storms, blow up everything. Not just the initial ambush, everything.

Qazlal question. Do clouds of flame from a scroll of immolation count as friendly, neutral, or hostile when it comes to turning them into elementals?

E: Also, someone earlier said they weren't too impressed with Qazlal's smite targeted invocation; that it was good for taking out groups of weak things, but not great otherwise. My experience is the opposite - it's not worth burning to kill off weak things, but you can gently caress up that 8-headed hydra before it gets anywhere close to you.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 26, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Good to know, thanks.

And now that there aren't any weight limits, there's nothing to stop me from doing this:

pre:
Missiles
 g - 1204 arrows
 E - 25 arrows of dispersal
 O - 30 javelins of penetration
 R - 15 curare-tipped needles
I guess I can drop the javelins now since I have the arrows and Piercer.

Or this.

code:
 N - 77 large rocks (quivered)
Anyway, advice to help me Ogrecome adversity? I have the runes from Swamp and Snake and have cleared V:1. I think the first thing I should do is enchant up my GSC of Freezing. I've been holding onto my enchant weapon scrolls, but the more I think about it, the more I think this is pointless. The only thing I'm likely to find that is better than my current weapon is an artifact GSC, and that can't be enchanted up anyway.

So, I think that should be my first step, enchant the poo poo out of my GSC. I also have a couple scrolls of brand weapon, should I play brand roulette and see if I can get something better than Freezing, or should I just accept freezing as a decent brand. I kept freezing through swamp and snake for slowing cold blooded enemies, but that's not as important now. What else should I be looking for in terms of equipment. Fire Dragon Armor is serving pretty well right now. Should I enchant it up, figuring it will be my end game armor, or should I hold out for something else/better?

Also, what should I take as my Qazlal resistance? If I'm going to wear FDA, then fire seems redundant. I could take rC to offset the penalty, or I could just take extra AC.

Here's some info if anyone has other advice. (Full Dump)

code:
NotMyLeg the Shatterer (Ogre Hunter)               Turns: 48939, Time: 03:34:06

HP 228/228       AC 20     Str 20      XL: 20   Next: 25%
MP  36/36        EV  7     Int 16      God: Qazlal [******]
Gold 3332        SH 16     Dex 10      Spells:  0 memorised, 19 levels left

rFire  + + .     SeeInvis .     k - +1 giant spiked club (freeze)
rCold  . . .     Rnd*Rage +     f - +0 fire dragon armour
rNeg   . . .     Conserve +     (shield restricted)
rPois  +         rCorr    +     G - +1 hat
rElec  +         rRot     .     d - +2 cloak {rCorr, Cons}
SustAb .         Spirit   +     (gloves unavailable)
rMut   .         Warding  .     (boots unavailable)
Gourm  .         Stasis   .     e - amulet of guardian spirit
MR     +++..                    x - ring of Hefoic {+Fly rElec rPois Stlth+}
                                T - ring of protection from magic

@: repel missiles, extremely resistant to hostile enchantments, very unstealthy
A: unfitting armour, talons 1, yellow scales 1, berserk 1, cold resistance 1,
tough skin 1, weak 1
a: Upheaval, Elemental Force, Disaster Area, Renounce Religion, Evoke Flight
}: 2/15 runes: decaying, serpentine

Inventory:

Hand weapons
 k - a +1,+1 giant spiked club of freezing (weapon)
 v - a +2 blowgun of evasion
Missiles
 q - 8 curare-tipped needles
 N - 77 large rocks (quivered)
 V - 3 throwing nets
Armour
 d - a +2 cloak of preservation (worn)
 f - a +0 fire dragon armour (worn)
 G - a +1 hat (worn)
Magical devices
 K - a wand of teleportation {zapped: 1}
Jewellery
 e - an amulet of guardian spirit (around neck)
 m - a cursed ring of teleportation
 s - a +3 ring of strength
 x - the ring of Hefoic (right hand) {+Fly rElec rPois Stlth+} 
   It insulates you from electricity.
   It protects you from poison.
   It lets you fly.
   It makes you more stealthy.
 F - an uncursed ring of protection from fire
 T - a ring of protection from magic (left hand)
 Y - an uncursed ring of positive energy
Miscellaneous
 p - a disc of storms
 y - a stone of tremors
 Z - a sack of spiders {used: 1}

Skills:
 - Level 20.0 Fighting
 - Level 23.0 Maces & Flails
 + Level 8.6 Throwing
 - Level 14.0 Armour
 - Level 1.7 Dodging
 - Level 0.7 Stealth
 - Level 16.0 Invocations
 - Level 8.0 Evocations
E: I don't have any levels in spell schools because I haven't found any great utility spells. I think I have rMsl somewhere, but Qazlal already gives permanent rMsl.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 28, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

qxan posted:

Sorry if this is a common question, but what are some people's favorite race/class combos? I'm relatively new at the game and have been playing a lot of High Elf Fire Elementalist and Minotaur Berzerker, but I'm curious what are good classes to branch off from here? My dungeon is full of powerful HiFE ghosts and it's killing me.

If you want easy to play for a beginner and powerful, I would look at Minotaur Fighters of Okawaru (still my first and only win), Gargoyle Fighters of Okawaru (most runes I've ever gotten. Involved a swap to TSO and then Zin), Gargoyle Berserkers (gargoyle anything is very strong), Troll Berserkers, and Troll Monks of Okawaru.

If you want to get away from straight melee (which I think are generally the easiest to play). Centaur Hunters are strong, just remember to use your melee weapon against trash to conserve ammo early. Gargoyle Earth Elementalists are also strong as casters, the natural AC offsets some of the difficulty of casters not having good armor, and the resists help mitigate deaths from adders and other early game traps.

E: When it comes to dealing with your ghosts, just leave them alone if they're too powerful. There's no requirement that you clear every floor, and ghosts can't follow you up and down stairs. If I run into a ghost that's going to be tough, but not a threat to one or two shot me, I usually go up, come down a different set of stairs, and keep clearing the floor. If you run into the ghost again, repeat. If you think you're in danger of getting quickly killed by one of your ghosts, just go to the next floor and come back later. Also, remember to inspect your ghosts, especially Fire Elementalists, to see what spells they have.

The other option would be to play online, then you could deal with other people's ghosts instead of your own.

Not My Leg fucked around with this message at 19:46 on May 28, 2014

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!

BigFactory posted:

Both oklobs were behind bushes but in sight. The summoned troll was standing in unobstructed line of sight of one and just stood there. When I took his spot, I got shot up, so it was definitely line of sight. Didn't make much sense.

I think you need to order summoned creatures to attack now ('t' then 'a'), otherwise they just stand there unless there's an adjacent target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not My Leg
Nov 6, 2002

AYN RAND AKBAR!
Does anybody know whether the flame clouds created from blowing people up under the effect of a scroll of immolation count as created by you, created by the dungeon, or created by enemies? I have either the best idea or the worst idea for taking on V:5 with Qazlal.

• Locked thread