Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Marvel Disk Wars is a cash-in anime by Toei based on Marvel characters. It sure is something.

Plot:
With help from Japanese professor Nozomu Akatsuki, Tony Stark, aka Iron Man develops a new device called the Digital Identity Securement Kit, known as DISKs for short, designed to help the cause of stopping and detaining supervillains. However, whilst presenting the DISK project on Ryker Island, Loki appears and uses the very same DISKs to launch a breakout of all the captured supervillains, trapping Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Wasp and Hulk inside DISKs as well. Nozomu's sons, Akira and Hikaru, along with three other children, Edward, Chris, and Jessica, come to possess these DISKs and join forces to put a stop to Loki and his army of supervillains.

Staff:
Series Director: Toshiaki Komura
Series Composition: Ryuu King
Character Design: Tadayoshi Yamamuro
Art design: Bonzen Sumono, Nobuto Sakamoto
Mech Design: Shuntarō Mura
Production Head: Yasuhiko Nukaga

Characters:

Akira Akatsuki (Mitsuki Saiga)
A carefree young boy. He and his older brother Hikaru are invited to visit his father's research lab on Ryker's Island and to discuss about the DISK project when it was under attack by Loki's forces. Akira possesses the red DISK, which contains Iron Man.

Tony Stark/Iron Man (Eiji Hanawa)
He's Iron Man, you know him! He has a weird face and no mustache in this, though.

Hikaru Akatsuki (Yuichi Iguchi)
Akira's older brother, and is the more calm and mature of the two. He possesses the purple DISK which contains Thor.

Thor (Yasuyuki Kaze)
Son of Odin and the Norse god of thunder. It's weird seeing his name spelled with only one katakana.

Chris Taylor (Yusuke Kuwahata)
The oldest of the five children. He possesses the blue DISK which contains Captain America. Looks like Beat from TWEWY.

Steve Rogers/Captain America (Kazuhiro Nakaya)
It's Caps! He's got a movie out right now that I haven't seen yet. Heard it's pretty alright.

Edward Grant (Yayoi Sugawa)
The youngest of the five children. He joined the tour on Ryker's Island in hopes of meeting Captain America, who is his favorite hero. He possesses the green DISK, which contains Hulk.

Bruce Banner/The Incredible Hulk (Kenichirou Matsuda)
Okay, so this has a smart Hulk, which I guess is for the best because you can't sell Bruce Banner to kids. Look at them feet, though.

Jessica Shannon (Naomi Ozora)
A rich spoiled girl, and the only female member of the group. She possesses the yellow DISK, which contains Wasp.

Janet van Dyne/Wasp (Kaori Mizuhashi)
Honestly, I didn't really know about Wasp before this show came along, I'm not a comic reader. She seems cool, and she's the most on-model character in the show.

Peter Parker/Spider-Man (Shinji Kawada)
Peter works as Doctor Akatsuki's assistant in developing the DISKs when their lab is under attack by the Crimson Dynamo as part of Loki's plot. After being punched out of the building, Peter dons his Spider-Man costume and returns to aid Doctor Akatsuki and his sons. Does whatever a spider can. Has a movie coming out that I haven't seen the first one of.

Loki (Tadashi Mutou)
The main antagonist because this is a modern Marvel production. He orchestrated the plan to use the DISKs to allow all the prisoners on Ryker's Island to escape and to summon them in battle.

Is it good?
Pft, no. It's the most generic-rear end bullshit for kids out there. But it's remarkable in just how dumb it is and what it does with the Marvel characters. This series is super shoddily animated, with characters that refuse to stay on model and background faces that are just magical. It's a good ol' mockin' bad anime, come on board this crazy train and see how long it goes.

The series is being subbed by a group called Marvelous Heroes for the near future, but you honestly do not need subtitles to know what's going on so far. Raws come out about Wednesdays, and Zorak has livestreamed the first two episodes the days after on his Livestream, so I'd keep my ear to the ground for those.

Subs for episode 1

Keep in mind that both Marvelous Heroes and Zero-Raws list the show as Disk Wars Avengers and not Marvel Disk Wars.

This thread is sponsored by The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Now that this is getting subbed ADTRW has no excuse to not watch it.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

This anime is the ugliest, most boring thing and I highly recommend it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I wonder if all of those heroes were mandated to be used or some of them were actually picked by whoever is making the creative decisions.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I wonder if all of those heroes were mandated to be used or some of them were actually picked by whoever is making the creative decisions.

Considering Wasp is one of the main characters, and the various B, C and D-listers who've shown up for little appearances I'd say they were probably only mandated to use the Main 4 (Cap, Thor, Iron Man and Hulk) and Loki as the main bad.

A lot of these redesigns are great, from the 90's inspired Doctor Strange to this sweet Iron Fist

Probably my favorite part is seeing what they've done with the various characters, like MODOK getting a little cape.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
The sub-villians are bizarre. U-Man is in it as a purple and orange shark man.

e: I refuse to post without including screenshots in

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Apr 11, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

TOYS, BOYS!

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
CAN THIS ANIME GET ANY WORSE/BETTER :allears:

Zorak fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 11, 2014

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Waffleman_ posted:

TOYS, BOYS!

Are those actually things they're trying to sell? They look like they come with a Happy Meal.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

They might be Happy Meal toys since McDonald's is a sponsor. I only saw them in a Google search while looking for a good picture of the logo.

This is a nicer toy I found.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

SPIDURP-MAN :downs:

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
I still can't deal with the fact that they lost to Loki because none of them could handle someone tied up with a rope

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Hulk is gorgeous

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

This tingling is far too much to handle

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
If this was being made by anyone who was competent episodes 1 and 2 would have been one episode.

Also: MORE THAN HALF OF YOU CAN FLY. THE OTHER HALF CAN JUMP REALLY HIGH. HOW IS THIS A THREAT IN ANY WAY.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

Peter has Kitty Pride's powers with his lab coat

This is my friend's and I favorite picture of the show

i like tacos fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 11, 2014

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
gently caress fuckity gently caress, this is bad. Very bad. The concept is awful, the dialog is awful, the art awful.

Even the English subtitles are bad. They translated "Samurai-kun" into "Samurai boy".

Is this an actual Marvel thing? After five minutes I could only picture a flurry of cease-and-desists blasting out of New York and Burbank.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Gynovore posted:

Even the English subtitles are bad. They translated "Samurai-kun" into "Samurai boy".

That's actually pretty fair localization, really. Honorifics are stupid to leave in, and -kun is just an expression of additional familiarity. Referring to someone as Title/Job-kun is basically informal "job pronounperson", just like Job-san would be "Mr Jobperson", condescending or not. Samurai-kun and Samurai-boy are both smartass things to call someone. Could have gone with "little samurai" instead of "samurai boy" but as far as a fansub goes, it's fine.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax
Goddamn, this show is art.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
So, this is going to be the only way to get Spiderman and the Avengers on the same DVD?

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
So is this somehow worse than Avengers Assemble? Or perhaps it is better?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Fangz posted:

So, this is going to be the only way to get Spiderman and the Avengers on the same DVD?

Avengers Assemble (current show, sucks) has had Spidey guest appearances. And Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which is a few years old at this point, had Spidey show up a few times in season 2.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
This is so fuckin stupid I love it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hearing about how loving anal Marvel can be when licensing their IPs I can only guess that their deals with japan are far more lax. Its a good thing

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 6, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

They have to bring their A game to suck harder than the current Marvel Cartoons.

Like Really Bring it, they don't have TM Revolution to soothe the pain of their awful.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

quote:

The youngest of the five children. He joined the tour on Ryker's Island in hopes of meeting Captain America, who is his favorite hero. He possesses the green DISK, which contains Hulk.

Alright then.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Even the opening of the show is ugly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP-j9BHGmHk

And when I was watching this, a question came to me. If it was so easy for Loki to get the villains out of the DISKs, what's keeping the Avengers in them that they have to be the kids' Digimon? I mean, just let 'em out. Spidey should know how, he was working on the drat things. Maybe this is explained in the second episode and I just haven't watched it with subs yet.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Cardboard Box A posted:

Don't be silly, it's not that bad. I really unironically think this is better than AA, even if you taking the show completely seriously. Add in the unintentional comedy (loving Iron Fist, hilarious) and it's leagues apart.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Waffleman_ posted:

And when I was watching this, a question came to me. If it was so easy for Loki to get the villains out of the DISKs, what's keeping the Avengers in them that they have to be the kids' Digimon? I mean, just let 'em out. Spidey should know how, he was working on the drat things.

It's been clearly documented throughout his history that only Superman is a bigger rear end in a top hat to his friends than Spider-Man.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Defiance Industries posted:

It's been clearly documented throughout his history that only Superman is a bigger rear end in a top hat to his friends than Spider-Man.

Well considering how much life shits on him in general he's gotta strike back somehow.

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

XboxPants posted:

Don't be silly, it's not that bad. I really unironically think this is better than AA, even if you taking the show completely seriously. Add in the unintentional comedy (loving Iron Fist, hilarious) and it's leagues apart.

To be as bad as Avengers Assemble, your animation would literally have to be worse than completely motionless stills being dragged across static background with a few distortion lines here and there to indication "action".

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Waffleman_ posted:

And when I was watching this, a question came to me. If it was so easy for Loki to get the villains out of the DISKs, what's keeping the Avengers in them that they have to be the kids' Digimon? I mean, just let 'em out. Spidey should know how, he was working on the drat things. Maybe this is explained in the second episode and I just haven't watched it with subs yet.
Why does the girl get Wasp? It's gotta suck if girls can only get superheroines for some reason, because there aren't nearly as many.

Anime Captain Marvel would be pretty amazing though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Why does the girl get Wasp? It's gotta suck if girls can only get superheroines for some reason, because there aren't nearly as many.

Anime Captain Marvel would be pretty amazing though.

I have a serious feeling we're not going to have to worry about multiple girls in this show.

Stall_19
Jan 2, 2013

Prodigy of Victor von Doom
I haven't watched Avengers Assemble because I watched Ultimate Spider-Man and wanted to badly hurt whoever made it. This looks too funny not to check out.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Might as well start watching this since spectacular spider man and avengers: earth's mightiest heroes, were the only good cartoons they've made in the past decade. I could go for something so dumb it's good.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Waffleman_ posted:

I have a serious feeling we're not going to have to worry about multiple girls in this show.

I couldn't help but to raise an eyebrow at when the two X-Men representatives were Cyclops and Beast of all people. Kinda surprised they didn't reuse Armor from the X-Men anime a couple of years ago or so.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

TNG posted:

To be as bad as Avengers Assemble, your animation would literally have to be worse than completely motionless stills being dragged across static background with a few distortion lines here and there to indication "action".
You can't say that and not show an example.

Maybe the dude responsible for licensing away the X-Men and Spider-man movie rights in perpetuity broke out of his cage at the wrong second and wrote a contract for this before they could lock him back up.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

This anime is incredibly bad and I love it. Every element of it makes no sense, it... Feels a lot like the worst of the awful cartoons I loved as a kid, honestly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TNG
Jan 4, 2001

by Lowtax

Pierson posted:

You can't say that and not show an example.

There are some pretty hilarious gifs on this blog

• Locked thread