Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
I'm down for AusPol gaming if there's space. I haven't played a pen-and-paper RPG since D&D when I was eleven, I have no idea what I'm doing and will likely get us all killed.

Edit: dang, next time then.

Edit Edit: I'll roll up anyway, maybe you'll find something to do with my guy.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
Edward "Eddie" Vogel
http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33293

Eddie Vogel has worked in bars for most of his adult life in Toowoomba, Brisbane, and most recently Sydney. Although starting out in nightclubs and pubs, his fondness for the bottle and resulting lapses of judgment led to him working in increasingly lovely dive bars. The owner of the current shithole has Eddie working off the books, and has been more and more late in the paycheck. Eddie's currently owed about a month and a half's wages and it's pretty clear he's not onto a winner, career-wise.

Despite his run of crap jobs Eddie's almost always optimistic about life in general, and is well liked for it. Eddie has no formal combat training, but can throw a punch. Years of working with angry drunks have given him a good sense of when things are about to go pear-shaped. He has a thick Queensland accent and swears incessently.

Eddie doesn't remember applying for the job. He's none too pleased to read the "no alcohol" stipulation in the letter, but going dry for a few weeks might not be such a bad idea.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Apr 13, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

I got you on the shortlist Tirade, we started just before you posted I'm afraid. :(

Yeah no wukkas man, I figure more than eight would be problematic anyhow. I'll keep an eye on the threads from the sidelines, both this and xylo's game look fun as hell.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I dunno what you're all on about, role-playing a dude with a Gravity's Rainboner sounds hilarious.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
It's been great watching this from the sidelines - well done to all involved. I reckon seven people is more than enough to handle, but if anyone drops away I'd be keen to participate. My drunken bartender is still waiting in the wings.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Rad. I have a few suggestions though. Eddie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Eddie's not doing things, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Eddie"?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

But seriously, I had some degree of trouble tracking seven people so I'll think about it, straw that breaks the camel's back and all that.

Yeah no worries dude.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Okay lets do this.

Rad. I rolled a dude on page one, lemme know if he's suitable or if you need me to do something different.

If the sweary bartender gets a run I'd prefer to start him as relatively fresh, maybe he could get involved if one or two of the seven like to get on the piss at the bar he works.

If you want someone else, again I'd prefer to keep him as a newbie, let me know what angle you want and I can roll something up tonight.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Actually I forgot you were a bartender. That works really well. :respek:

Neat, I'll take a quick look at Eddie's char sheet tonight, I think it's been affected by those changes you posted earlier. I've never played any WoD before so you'll need to make sure I haven't cocked anything up on the sheet.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Ok, about finished with updating my dude. I was going to pick a dot in Professional Training, can I make up a Bartender profession?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

thatbastardken posted:

Bartender sounds like Empathy/Streetwise to me.

I'm down with that. How's this look? http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33293

Edit: Backstory is same as on page one, except that Eddie's also a card carrying ALP supporter and can be a little annoying about it.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 11:40 on May 5, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Sorry Lordpants, dumb question incoming - can you explain how contacts work? From what I read you get a different network of people per merit point?

Also, that professional training merit I picked seems to give me a bonus contact point related to my work (given how hospitality works I'd reckon it'd be location-specific), do I add that in under the merits column or the free-text box at the bottom of the sheet?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Thanks guys. I also had a punt with the specialities, I saw on the last page you spelled out what they did for Mick as a discrete modifier. Are these too narrow / broad?

Drunk Whisperer - Experienced at dealing with people impaired by alcohol or other substances. +1 to empathy rolls when target is intoxicated
Country Boy - Builds rapport more quickly with rural folk. +1 to persuasion rolls when trying to influence people from the country
Rumourmonger - Skilled at picking up local gossip. +1 to (streetwise? persuasion?) rolls when hunting rumours

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Streetwise is knowing where a drug deal is taking place. I'd go with socialize. You can shoot the poo poo like a pro and pick up tidbits easily.

Ok cheers man, sheet updated. http://sheetgen.dalines.net/sheet/33293

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Quick question, what year are we set in? 1996?

Edit: answered this myself, prelude was April 96, this is a few months after.

Tirade fucked around with this message at 06:05 on May 10, 2014

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

When did they stop people smoking indoors? I can't remember.

Was state by state I think. Didn't come into effect in QLD until about 2005.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Should I be waiting for the others to wander in or kick on?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
You guys did spend 3/4 of a page twatting around in a cargo plane before someone pressed the flashing "open door" button.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
This is just after seeing a bit of blood, too. I had to tone it down a bit when I realised he's likely to see some much worse stuff in the coming days.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Maybe you should try pushing the button again.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Freudian Slip posted:

I thought it was pretty funny and it made it more interesting than

"you slip quietly out the back and easily scale the fence"
:toot:

I was so sure I wasn't going to make the jump.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

Watch me drive with no lights through a swamp :getin:

Meanwhile, Eddie goes for a stroll.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
The trophies on the wall in the lodge are the first proper supernatural things that Eddie has seen. Does he have to roll for craziness?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I'd be happy to pick up the posting pace, you can probably tell that I've been really enjoying this.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Woah, sounds like you all need to read a li'l of s420 and unwind.

e: I'm also for killing them all

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Eh I was gonna write out an Eddiepost on morality but have been super busy. Basically my thinking is this:

Stuff what needs killin'
Demon.

Stuff what might need killin'
Gentleman.
Fischer / Fischer's wife (although I think she's already dead right?).

Stuff what probably don't need killin'
Swamp Thing.
Black Rose Goons.
Vampire.

Maybe that vampire knows how to stake a demon?

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
:stare:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

That was metal as gently caress.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Ahahaha well done Mick.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
:magical:

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
No no, you're supposed to be anti-fascist

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Gough Suppressant posted:

You seem to be confusing antifascist with liberal. Swan has been looking at some horrid poo poo in the world since last time. Horrid, inhuman, powerful poo poo he has no hope of righting. The mundanity of these assholes is what is getting to him. They are so utterly human and that somehow makes them worse.

Also he is absolutely going to have to roll morality/derangement if it plays out that way because fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Actually I was mostly trying to make a crap pun about you being anti-faces.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
For xp spendin', do you have a list of merits you want / don't want us to use? Otherwise I'm just gonna go merit shopping using that GMC download you linked earlier.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

Not really, but hold off until I come up with some status effects if you want to join the Illuminati or whatever.

Nah, I was just kicking around the idea of setting up a bar as a safehouse, Shaun of the Dead style.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Anyone object if I set up shop in Sydney? We've got word of vampires in Sydney and lots of vamps and werewolves in Adelaide, but Eddie's bar contacts are in Brisbane and Sydney and we might not want to have our safehouse in the middle of all this poo poo.

Also, I figure we'll need a month or two off for training montages if we're getting xp from that mission? That'd allow Niles and maybe others to get a start on tracking down that rogue hunter.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
I'm building the best goddamn treehouse just you wait.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
Nothing fancy, I was thinking something like this:

I just pulled this off GIS. I don't actually know much about Sydney, was Alexandria gentrified in the mid-nineties?

I'd want some basic security upgrades, but nothing too crazy. Reinforced windows, heavy-set doors. It'd look like a pub run by someone serious about security, not much more. A bit more for the back-of-house areas, maybe a keypad to get to the fun stuff. Enough space for Niles and Rabia's workshop, Galihad and Swan's library, and an armory / gun locker of sorts. A few bedrooms upstairs refitted to be more secure. Can't do much more at this stage since I doubt we have enough cash for anything more than a decent-length lease. Our architect / mad alchemist combo could probably keep renovation costs down.

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug
LordPants, how does this all look? Lemme know if I've cocked anything up.

---------------------------------

After the payoff from Nhill, Eddie gets to work setting up the bar. [As outlined above - any other suggestions you guys have for it most welcome]. (6xp, LordP let me know how to add this to my character sheet) Once the place is up and running, Eddie takes up his position behind the bar. Feels good to be home. (+1 to existing 1-dot Merit - Professional Training, 1xp)

Eddie uses any downtime he has from setting up and then running the bar to try and work on some of his more glaring weaknesses from his Nhill adventure. Most pressing is his lack of firearm knowledge. Eddie spends some time with the others at a firing range. He's no crack shot and still much prefers relying on his fists than a .45, but has now at least learned the basics and is less likely to shoot the others by mistake if he needs to use a gun. (+1 Firearms, 2xp)

Next stop: fence jumping. Eddie joins a local fence jumping club [gently caress it, I got 3 hours sleep last night and am not feeling too creative]. (+1 Athletics, 2xp)

Eddie's still a bit spooked by the swamp things, particularly the way they just shambled towards a line of guys with rifles and pistols. It doesn't seem to Eddie like a good way to deal with bad guys with guns. Eddie has a bit of a look into how to not get perforated and finds out that while dropping prone isn't a bad option, it actually takes a not-insignificant amount of time to draw and aim a gun. A safer option can sometimes be to bug out to behind some nearby cover instead. (Merit - Close Quarters Combat: Firing Lines, can run for cover when getting shot at instead of dropping prone, 1xp)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Pillbug

LordPants posted:

The pub itself would be ~ 3 merit dots.

Then you have 3 merit dots to spend on "secrecy" or "traps"

Secrecy 5 is some cia operating in broad daylight poo poo. Secrecy 3 (the most you could get) is you've made some effort to conceal yourself and people could find you or it but it'd take a lot of work.

Or you can do Safe House Traps which seem pretty weak rear end but 5 is self destructing the entire pub and 1 is like "mild poison gas" :wtc:

Or a combination of the two.

I'll dump it all into Secrecy. Makes more sense from a RP perspective, since it'll include things like keeping the renovations off-plan, adding some secure doors so drunk randoms can't wander around, etc. Can't really hide the fact that Eddie's linked to the bar, but we can probably keep the hunter stuff well enough hidden.

Also I figure the pits of doom and spinning silver sawblades can be added later down the track.

• Locked thread