Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Which draft would field the best, most complete team? That always seemed like a cool question. Obviously going back 60 years is unrealistic, though. A good start seems to be the 2002 draft, when the league expanded to 32 teams. It’s tempting to go all the way to 2013 and get 12 teams but the general thought seems to be three years is the amount of time needed to evaluate a player. This tourney will encompass ten years of the draft; unless there is overwhelming support for more or fewer years. This thread will be about determining which players will play for each team and the ranking of each “roster.” Once we’ve established this I’ll do my best to create a bracket that we can vote on that’s slightly more sophisticated than “E-mail me,” but I have zero knowledge on web design so who knows?*

Before we begin we need to determine how we’ll form the rosters, whether to include UDFAs and what age we’re imagining the players being.

1. Roster

I was thinking this route for offense:
code:
*QB	*HB	*FB
*WR1	*WR2 	*TE1 	*Slot WR OR TE2 based on position strength
*LT	*LG	*C	*RG	*RT
This will provoke good debate since there’s no second string. This would allow for a run heavy offense as well as a single back set. Obviously other people are going to have opinions, so this is only mine.

Defense:
code:
3-4 					or 				4-3
     *DE     *NT     *DE					*DE	*DT	*DT	*DE
*OLB1	*MLB1	*MLB2	*OLB2				          *OLB1   *MLB	    *OLB2
					Secondary	
			*CB1		*CB2	*Slot Corner
				*S1	     *S2
Debating whether a draft favors 3-4 or 4-3 will be... fun. Right now I’m leaning towards limiting each draft to one scheme because I’m belligerent and like “spirited” debate. Only my opinion. What’s yours? Having slot corner as a 12th spot makes sense to me because they bring certain skills to the table, but again I’m one guy.

Special Teams:
code:
*Kicker	*Punter	*Returner
Punters are people too. I’d put long snapper in but do LSers ever get drafted?

We could also do a full 53 man roster if y'all feel masochistic. What do you think?

Should we include UDFAs? I would say no. This is about drafts, There are certainly undrafted players who would make a roster or two, though. What do you think?

Finally, what age should we set the players at? 3 years of experience seems most fair to me, because that’s where the last draft is at. Obviously if we consider the players where they are now 2002 has a huge disadvantage and if we consider the entire career 2011 has a huge disadvantage. Considering where each player was at year 3 puts everyone on the same page. Just my opinion, what do you think?

Once we’ve reached a consensus with these three points we’ll move on to the 2002 draft. Please format your input in a way that makes your opinion clear.

*One idea that comes to mind is a program like (Euro) Football manager. I don’t play that style of game, though. Would that work for our purposes?

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

The Super-League runs off of Baseball Mogul, so I'd imagine you can do something similar in Football Mogul re: inputting players of a particular year and building a team that can compete against other teams.

I'd lean towards having the 12th spot on offense & defense be purely flex, not limited to a particular position.

4-3, 3-4, if a draft can support both, build both.

No to 53-man roster. There'll be enough interesting debate on the starters, the thread'll go nowhere if we debate over the 53rd guy to make the team.

onomatopizza
Dec 12, 2004

A word that sounds like pizza.
I think there's so few UDFAs and Supplemental Draft options (you didn't mention the Supplemental, but I just thought I'd bring it up) that would be important that I don't see a reason not to include them. Someone might really want Ahmad Brooks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If we do a Football mogul couldn't we just put the same mediocre players into every team to make a full roster? I assume you can turn off injuries?

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
53-man roster just wouldn't be possible, I don't think. The level of bickering over whether we should include a 5th CB or someone's favorite backup WR who got hurt but could've been great would derail this right quick

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Wanted to throw together 2011 but got it's such a monster draft for OLBs I don't know who to pick between Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Justin Houston and Robert Quinn

Good skill position guys too. Cam, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Julius Thomas, Torrey Smith. On defense, Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman :stare:

And then of course you have JJ Watt :getin:

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Intruder posted:

Wanted to throw together 2011 but got it's such a monster draft for OLBs I don't know who to pick between Von Miller, Aldon Smith, Justin Houston and Robert Quinn

Good skill position guys too. Cam, AJ Green, Julio Jones, Julius Thomas, Torrey Smith. On defense, Patrick Peterson and Richard Sherman :stare:

And then of course you have JJ Watt :getin:

Jesus, even the RBs are solid: DeMarco Murray, Shane Vereen, and Stevan Ridley... I don't think we're beating that draft in my lifetime at least.

Ussr
Sep 17, 2004

Wait, what?
Wow, 2011 was good. The first 7 players selected in 2011 have been to the Pro Bowl. And then in the 5th round you have Richard Sherman. That's a solid class.

Toymachine
Jul 2, 2007

Warning - Posts created under the influence of Codeine and/or Skittles
2007 NFL Draft was super stacked unless you needed a QB. The QBs (Russell, Kolb, Stanton, Beck, Thigpen, Troy Smith, Jordan Palmer) are hilariously bad.

*QB Matt Moore (UDFA) *HB Adrian Peterson/Marshawn Lynch *FB Leron McClain
*WR1 Calvin Johnson *WR2 Dwayne Bowe *TE1 Greg Olsen *TE2 Zach Miller
*LT Joe Thomas *LG Aaron Sears *C Ryan Kalil *RG Marshall Yanda *RT Joe Staley

Notable Backups: WR Jacoby Jones, WR James Jones, G Justin Blalock, RB Michael Bush, G Uche Uwaneri, RB Pierre Thomas (UDFA)

*DE Lamarr Woodley *DT Brandon Mebane *DT Paul Soliai *DE Charles Johnson
*OLB Jon Beason *MLB Patrick Willis *OLB Lawrence Timmons
*CB Darrelle Revis *CB Leon Hall
*S Dashon Goldson *S Eric Weddle

Notable Backups: LB Paul Posluszny, S Laron Landry, LB David Harris, LB Justin Durant, LB Anthony Spencer, S Reggie Nelson, CB Tarell Brown, LB Nick Roach (UDFA)

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com lets you sort the draft by years for Probowl appearances, Number of Starts, etc.

Going way back the 1974 draft was fairly legendary (especially for the Steelers)

This is what I came up with

QB: Danny White, one Pro Bowl

RB
Mark van Eeghen
Delvin Williams Jr. two Pro Bowls

WR
Lynn Swann, Hall of Fame, three Pro Bowls
John Stallworth, Hall of Fame, three Pro Bowls
Bille "White Shoes" Johnson, one Pro Bowl
Nat Moore

TE
Dave Casper, Hall of Fame, five Pro Bowls

T
Keith Fahnhorst
Henry Lawrence, two Pro Bowls

G
Robert Pratt
Dave Lapham

C: Mike Webster, Hall of Fame, nine Pro Bowls

DE
Ed "Too Tall" Jones, three Pro Bowls
Fred Cook

DT
John Dutton, three Pro Bowls
Charles DeJurnett

LB
Jack Lambert, Hall of Fame, nine Pro Bowls
Randy Gradishar, seven Pro Bowls
Matt Blair, six Pro Bowls
Steve Nelson, three Pro Bowls

CB
Jimmy Allen
Terry Schmidt

S
Donnie Shell (undrafted)
Bill Simpson

K: Pat Leahy NY jets all-time leading scorer with 1,470 points.

P: Bob Thomas

Great set of linebackers and wide receivers. Workable offensive line and QB. Somewhat weak on the d-line and corners.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
Ed Jones isn't a Hall of Famer?

The guy practically invented tipping the ball at the line of scrimmage.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
One nice thing about doing this here is there won't be a debate about Cam over Kaep.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy

Eifert Posting posted:

One nice thing about doing this here is there won't be a debate about Cam over Kaep.

How would such a debate even work? "Uh, yeah, Cam is better" ... "Yup, just wait till he gets some WRs", etc. I mean, seriously.

Anyway, I'm working on a couple draft years but that 1974 is going to be really loving hard to top.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

'03 Draft is pretty good, especially if you can pick up Romo in it and the best athlete in the draft Rex Grossman

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Kaep is a *winner,* He *just wins games.*

Not like Cam with his fake-rear end smile and pout-towel.

Newton passing to Green, Jones, and J. Cameron... Just give them their trophy.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

1989 is pretty topheavy but lacks depth I guess

It does have MVP rapist Dave Meggett

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
^^--I was just typing this up. I think it came out pretty nicely honestly

Fenrir posted:

How would such a debate even work? "Uh, yeah, Cam is better" ... "Yup, just wait till he gets some WRs", etc. I mean, seriously.

Anyway, I'm working on a couple draft years but that 1974 is going to be really loving hard to top.

Let's see how '89 works just to try it

Offense

QB: Troy Aikman (HoF)
Rodney Peete

HB: Barry Sanders (HoF)
Marion Butts or Dave Meggett

FB: Daryl Johnston

WR: Andre Rison
Tony Martin
Don Beebe or Floyd Turner

TE: Wesley Walls
Howard Cross or Marv Cook

T: Andy Heck
David Williams

G: Steve Wisniewski
Mark Schlereth

C: Mark Stepnoski

Defense

DE: Wayne Martin
Trace Armstrong

DT: Pick two out of:
Glenn Montgomery
Jim Wahler
Dennis Byrd

LB: Derrick Thomas (HoF)
Eric Hill
Broderick Thomas

CB: Deion Sanders (HoF)
Ray Crockett

S: Carnell Lake
Steve Atwater

P: Rick Tuten (UDFA)

K: Pete Stoyanovich

KR/PR: Eric Metcalf

On defense I absolutely loving love the secondary and pass rush. I mean seriously really love the secondary, Crockett's easily the weakest link and it isn't like he was bad. DTs are rough. Special Teams are pretty awesome. On offense that's probably about as good of an interior line as you can reasonably ask for and the tackles are serviceable. Wideouts are rough after Rison, Aikman is way down my list of Hall of Fame QBs but he'd be fine here. Butts would make a fine Tommy Vardell, I honestly don't know what you do with Moose because Barry didn't use a fullback if I remember right.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Thought to do this because it was the year the Ravens were born but it actually turned out pretty awesome. It was a beautiful draft for WRs and LBs, but it did have some weaknesses.
See if you can spot them.

*QB: Tony Banks *RB:Eddie George *FB:Mike Alstott

*WR1:Marvin Harrison *WR2:Terrel Owens *WR3:Mushin Muhammad

*LT:Johnathan Ogden *LG:Jermane Mayberry *C: Mike Flannigan *RG:Marco Rivera RT:Willie Anderson

*DE1:Simeon Rice *DT:La'roi Glover *DT2:Tony Brackens *DE2:Lance Johnstone

*MLB1:Ray Lewis *MLB2:Zach Thomas *MLB3: Kevin Hardy

*CB1:Donnie Abrham *CB2:Tory James *SS:Lawyer Milloy *FS:Brian Dawkins

Probably should have made the front seven all LBs and a Simeon Rice. There might be 5 HoFers in there but that one missing piece is a pretty big weakness. At least they recognized it at the time. Tony Banks was the first QB off the board and he went in the second round.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

And Tony Banks owns so this team clearly wins

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Alouicious posted:

And Tony Banks owns so this team clearly wins

I mean he owns a pathetic NFL career that mysteriously lasted way too long but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying. What am I missing that makes Tony Banks endearing?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

I mean he owns a pathetic NFL career that mysteriously lasted way too long but that doesn't seem to be what you're saying. What am I missing that makes Tony Banks endearing?

I was gonna post some sickrad Tony Banks highlights but when I went to youtube all I found were some musician dude and one really bad quality video of him in college so you win this one

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Eifert Posting posted:

Kaep is a *winner,* He *just wins games.*

Not like Cam with his fake-rear end smile and pout-towel.

Newton passing to Green, Jones, and J. Cameron... Just give them their trophy.

Cam Newton just shed a single tear and he doesn't know why.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
1998 is pretty good.

QB: Peyton Manning
RB: Fred Taylor
WR: Randy Moss
WR: Hines Ward
WR: Joe Jureviceus
TE: Stephen Alexander
OT: Flozell Adams
OT: Kyle Turley
G: Alan Fancea
G: Mike Wahle
C: Jeff Saturday (UDFA)

DE: Grant Wistrom
DE: Leonard Little
DT: Jamal Williams
LB: Jeremiah Trotter
LB: Keith Brooking
LB: Takedo Spikes
LB: London Fletcher (UDFA)
CB: Charles Woodson
CB: Patrick Surtain
S: Corey Chavous
S: Lance Schulters

K: Phil Dawson
P: Some punter
KR/PR: Tim Dwight

Manning to Moss is crazy and that offensive line is strong too. Woodson and Sutrain is an exceptional pair of corners and the linebacker group is really good also. The middling D-line is probably the biggest weakness.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
drat, 98 was one of the ones I was working on, but you put it together faster. Peyton2Moss was the whole reason I thought of it in the first place.

Also, 2001 certainly has some pieces:

QB: Drew Brees
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson
FB: Heath Evans

WR: Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson (:drat:)
TE: Alge Crumpler, Todd Heap

LT: Matt Light
LG: Steve Hutchinson
C: Roberto Garza I guess?
RG: Leonard Davis
RT: :iiam:

DT: Richard Seymour, Casey Hampton
DE: Justin Smith, Andre Carter

After that pretty drat good D-line I run out of gas here. I can't remember a single LB from this draft except Antonio Pierce (UDFA). There were even a couple pro bowlers on the list and I honestly don't think I've seen their names before.

There's also just no secondary to be found here. Too bad really, because that offense may be the best out of any draft, and the DL is sick too.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 12, 2014

fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Eifert Posting posted:

code:
*QB	*HB	*FB
*WR1	*WR2 	*TE1 	*Slot WR OR TE2 based on position strength
*LT	*LG	*C	*RG	*RT
code:
3-4 					or 				4-3
     *DE     *NT     *DE					*DE	*DT	*DT	*DE
*OLB1	*MLB1	*MLB2	*OLB2				          *OLB1   *MLB	    *OLB2
					Secondary	
			*CB1		*CB2	*Slot Corner
				*S1	     *S2
code:
*Kicker	*Punter	*Returner

i woke up in a bad mood and this really helped me out this morning. thank you

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Fenrir posted:

drat, 98 was one of the ones I was working on, but you put it together faster. Peyton2Moss was the whole reason I thought of it in the first place.

edit: Oops I read this wrong and was trying to put together your missing pieces from 98. Kendrell Bell was a good LB for a while at least in the 2001 draft.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 12, 2014

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
The 2006 draft isn't too shabby.

QB Jay Cutler
RB Reggie Bush/DeAngelo Williams/MJD
WR1 Brandon Marshall
WR2 Greg Jennings
WR3 Marques Colston/Santonio Holmes
TE1 Vernon Davis
LT Andrew Whitworth/D'Brickashaw Ferguson
LG Davin Joseph
C Nick Mangold
RG Chris Chester
RT Eric Winston/Jahri Evans

DE Mario Williams
DT Haloti Ngata/Kyle Williams
DE Elvis Dumervil
LB Ahmad Brooks(supplemental draft)
LB Chad Greenway
LB D'Qwell Jackson
LB Tamba Hali
CB Johnathan Joseph
CB Antonio Cromartie
S Roman Harper
S Antonie Bethea

K Stephen Gostkowski
P Sam Koch

KR/PR Devin Hester

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Even on this team, you have to make sure there is Cutler2Marshall or you're boned.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Good Thread

I tried 1997, since that was the first year I started seriously following the NFL and it will always hold a place in my heart. The results were kind of mixed. It’s a weak draft overall, though ridiculously stacked at RB, LT and LB. The QB’s and WR’s are terrible though, the first QB taken was Jim Druckenmiller.

QB: Jake Plummer
RB: Corey Dillon, Tiki Barber
FB: Marc Edwards
WR: Derek Mason, David Patten (UDFA)
TE: Tony Gonzalez
LT: Walter Jones
LG: Chris Dishman
C: Jeff Mitchell
RG: Dan Neil
RT: Orlando Pace (yeah he played LT I know)

DE: Jason Taylor, Marcellus Wiley
DT: Trevor Pryce, Darrell Russell
OLB: Peter Boulware, Dexter Coakley
ILB: James Farrior, Mike Vrable
CB: Ronde Barber, Sam Madison
S: Darren Sharper, Mike Minter

K: David Akers
P: Brad Maynard
KR: Warrick Dunn (why not)

Much stronger on defense than offense I think, but would probably get destroyed by the 98 or 96 squad.

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
1999-an underrated draft

code:
*QB Donovan McNabb	*RB1 Ricky Williams	*RB2 Edgerrin James
*WR1 Torry Holt	*WR2 Donald Driver 	*TE Desmond Clark	*WR3 David Boston
*LT Jon Jansen	*LG Edwin Mulitalo	*C Damien Woody		*RG Randy Thomas	*RT John Tait

*DE Jevon Kearse	*DT Roderick Coleman	*DT Anthony "Booger" McFarland	*DE Patrick Kerney
*OLB1 Joey Porter	*MLB Al Wilson		*OLB2 Mike Peterson	
*CB1 Champ Bailey	*CB2 Antoine Winfield	*CB3 Chris McAlister
*SS Dexter Jackson	*FS Dré Bly

*Kicker Martín Gramática	*Punter	Brian Moorman (UDFA)	*Returner Peerless Price 	*Long Snapper Mike Schneck (UDFA)
Other candidates:
QB Daunte Culpepper, FB Rob Konrad, RB Kevin Faulk , TE Brian Waters (UDFA), DE Mike Rucker, DE Aaron Smith, DE Gary Stills, LB Dat Nguyen, CB Jerry Azumah, P Josh Bidwell, Returner/Gunner Sean Morey

edit: Formatting

SlipUp fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 13, 2014

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Grittybeard posted:

^^--I was just typing this up. I think it came out pretty nicely honestly

Let's see how '89 works just to try it

That's a really solid group of players.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
The 2000 Draft is certainly something.

QB Tom Brady/Chad Pennington
RB Jamal Lewis/Thomas Jones/Shaun Alexander
WR1 Laveranues Coles
WR2 Plaxico Burress
WR3 Darrell Jackson
TE Bubba Franks
OT Chris Samuels
OG Bobbie Williams
C Brad Meester
OG Cooper Carlisle
OT Chad Clifton

DE John Abraham
DT Fred Robbins
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila/Shawn Ellis
LB Brian Urlacher
LB Julian Peterson
LB Adalius Thomas
LB Clark Haggans
CB Deltha O'Neal
CB Mark Roman
S Mike Brown
S Deon Grant

K Sebastian Janikowski
P Shane Lechler (only punter selected in the draft)

KR/PR Deltha O'Neal

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't give this one enough thought before but I should have:

2003!

code:
*QB1 Tony Romo(UDFA)	*RB Larry Johnson	*RB Willis McGahee
*WR1 Andre Johnson	*WR2 Anquan Boldin 	*TE Antonio Gates(UDFA)	*TE2 Jason Witten
*LT Jordan Gross	*LG Kris Dielman(UDFA)	*C Dan Koppen		*RG Wade Smith		*RT David Diehl

*DE Robert Mathis	*DT Kevin Williams	*DT Antonio Garay	*DE Osi Umenyiora
*OLB1 Terrell Suggs	*MLB E.J. Henderson	*OLB2 Lance Briggs	
*CB1 Nnamdi Asomugha	*CB2 Asante Samuel	*CB3 Charles "Peanut" Tillman
*SS Troy Polamalu	*FS ...err, can we put Ike Taylor here? Maybe Yeremiah Bell? 

*Kicker Josh Brown? Only one I could find. 	*P Mike Scifres		*Returner ...???	*Long Snapper Ryan Pontbriand
That's one hell of a team right there. Doesn't have 2001's offense (but then what loving DOES) but makes up for it with a dynamite defense. I can't find a drat kick returner or punter though.

It may be the best single draft team posted so far. drat, look at that defense. Not to mention it has maybe a couple reaches (Garay, Smith, reaching into a ridiculously deep CB class for a FS) but otherwise it's very complete. There's a pro bowler at almost every position, even the loving Long Snapper.

e: gently caress, I thought Scifres was 2002. Well let's fix that poo poo. Now this team also has the best punter since Shane Lechler (also arguably the best punter over the last 10 years NOT named Shane Lechler).

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 12, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Fenrir posted:

I didn't give this one enough thought before but I should have:

2003!

That's one hell of a team right there. Doesn't have 2001's offense (but then what loving DOES) but makes up for it with a dynamite defense. I can't find a drat kick returner or punter though.

Mike Scifres is pretty good, dude

D-LINK
Oct 1, 2007

I was talking to peachy Peach about kissy Kiss. He bought me a soda.

korrandark posted:

The 2000 Draft is certainly something.

QB Tom Brady/Chad Pennington
RB Jamal Lewis/Thomas Jones/Shaun Alexander
WR1 Laveranues Coles
WR2 Plaxico Burress
WR3 Darrell Jackson
TE Bubba Franks
OT Chris Samuels
OG Bobbie Williams
C Brad Meester
OG Cooper Carlisle
OT Chad Clifton

DE John Abraham
DT Fred Robbins
DE Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila/Shawn Ellis
LB Brian Urlacher
LB Julian Peterson
LB Adalius Thomas
LB Clark Haggans
CB Deltha O'Neal
CB Mark Roman
S Mike Brown
S Deon Grant

K Sebastian Janikowski
P Shane Lechler (only punter selected in the draft)

KR/PR Deltha O'Neal

Adalius Thomas was so incredibly good when he was a Raven. It's too bad the Patriots killed him.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Fenrir posted:

Also, 2001 certainly has some pieces:

QB: Drew Brees
RB: LaDainian Tomlinson
FB: Heath Evans

WR: Reggie Wayne, Steve Smith, Chad Johnson (:drat:)
TE: Alge Crumpler, Todd Heap

LT: Matt Light
LG: Steve Hutchinson
C: Roberto Garza I guess?
RG: Leonard Davis
RT: :iiam:

DT: Richard Seymour, Casey Hampton
DE: Justin Smith, Andre Carter

After that pretty drat good D-line I run out of gas here. I can't remember a single LB from this draft except Antonio Pierce (UDFA). There were even a couple pro bowlers on the list and I honestly don't think I've seen their names before.

There's also just no secondary to be found here. Too bad really, because that offense may be the best out of any draft, and the DL is sick too.

The funniest part of this is that the backup QB would be Vick. Imagine the look on a defensive coordinators face when a Vick/LT read option gets called.

Also, 2004 seems to get underrated a lot.

QB: Eli Manning
RB: Steven Jackson/ Michael Turner/ Willie Parker
FB: Greg Jones
WR: Larry Fitzgerald/ Wes Welker/ Malcolm Floyd/ Jericho Cotchery/ Roy Williams
TE: Chris Cooley/ Kellen Winslow Jr.
OL: Tyson Clabo/ Robert Gallery/ Nick Hardwick/ Shawn Andrews/ Jason Peters

DE: Jared Allen
DT: Darnell Dockett
DT: Randy Starks
DE: Will Smith
LB: Jonathan Vilma
LB: Karlos Dansby
LB: DJ Williams
CB: Nathan Vasher
CB: DeAngelo Hall
SS: Bob Sanders
FS: Will Allen

Not all-world like a lot of the other drafts, but that offense is at least causing some headaches

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

TheGreyGhost posted:

Nope

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

TheGreyGhost posted:

The funniest part of this is that the backup QB would be Vick. Imagine the look on a defensive coordinators face when a Vick/LT read option gets called.

RB: Steven Jackson/ Michael Turner/ Willie Parker
FB: Greg Jones
WR: Larry Fitzgerald/ Wes Welker/ Malcolm Floyd/ Jericho Cotchery/ Roy Williams
TE: Chris Cooley/ Kellen Winslow Jr.
OL: Tyson Clabo/ Robert Gallery/ Nick Hardwick/ Shawn Andrews/ Jason Peters

DE: Jared Allen
DT: Darnell Dockett
DT: Randy Starks
DE: Will Smith
LB: Jonathan Vilma
LB: Karlos Dansby
LB: DJ Williams
CB: Nathan Vasher
CB: DeAngelo Hall
SS: Bob Sanders
FS: Will Allen

Not all-world like a lot of the other drafts, but that offense is at least causing some headaches

not to mention you'd also have roethlisberger and rivers at the qb spot, god drat

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, I'd put Rivers there, but even that OL wouldn't save him from the 2003 pass rush. Not to mention the 2003 offense would light up the scoreboard on that defense.

e: Also, early in the thread a lot of people mentioned 2011, but from what I see it's not gonna beat 2003. Just too many holes. I'll do a post on it tomorrow unless someone beats me to it.

As it stands, I'm pretty well convinced that if you had to build a full team out of a single draft, and not worry about depth, 2003 beats any draft in the last 15 years.

e: or at least any draft class, since a couple of UDFAs specifically make or break the team, especially Romo.

Fenrir fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
2011 could end up being one of the greatest drafts in NFL history. It's early obviously, but there are several potential Hall of Famers in this team already.

QB: Cam Newton

RB: DeMarco Murray
FB: Bruce Miller

WR: AJ Green
WR: Julio Jones
WR: Randall Cobb
TE: Julius Thomas
TE: Jordan Cameron

OT: Tyron Smith
OT: Nate Solder
G: Clint Boling
G: Will Rackley
C: Mike Pouncey

DL: JJ Watt
DL: Robert Quinn
DL: Muhammad Wilkerson
DL: Nick Fairley

LB: Von Miller
LB: Aldon Smith
LB: KJ Wright
LB: Justin Houston

CB: Patrick Peterson
CB: Richard Sherman
S: Rahim Moore
S: Chris Conte

K: Alex Henery
P: Matt Bosher

On offense, the receiving corps is pretty amazing and the offensive line is very good as well with just one hole at guard. I can see Cam having a lot of fun throwing to these guys after being stuck with Steve Smith and the nobodies for the last couple of years.

The defense however is absurdly strong. The pass rush is INSANE. And you've even got Cameron Jordan, Cameron Heyward and Ryan Kerrigan on the bench for rotation. Supplement that with probably the two best cornerbacks in the league and I'd like to see anyone try and pass on them. The two safeties are below average, but hopefully that wouldn't matter so much.

• Locked thread