Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
2 bengals on that roster. :smug:

Hope you don't mean Boling when you say G is a weakness. He's a road grader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

tanglewood1420 posted:

2011 could end up being one of the greatest drafts in NFL history. It's early obviously, but there are several potential Hall of Famers in this team already.
It's really quite incredibly early to say that.

The 2011 draft was great I think it only looks so dominant because all of those guys are in their primes right now. I love Cam but most of these other quarterbacks blow him out of the water and there really isn't a run game to speak of for the class. As of right now I don't know that anyone has a better team than 2003.

The Puppy Bowl fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 13, 2014

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
pre:
*QB: Kevin Kolb :(	*HB: Adrian Peterson	*HB2/FB: Marshawn Lynch

*WR1: Calvin Johnson	*WR2: Dwayne Bowe 	*TE: Greg Olsen

*LT: Joe Thomas	*LG: Ben Grubbs	 *C: Ryan Kalil	*RG: Marshall Yand  *RT: Joe Staley

*DE: LaMarr Woodley      *DT:Paul Soliai      *DE: Charles Johnson

*OLB: Anthony Spencer  *LB: Patrick Willis   *LB2: Paul Posluszny  *OLB2: Lawrence Timmons

*CB1: Darrel Revis   *CB2: Leon Hall   *SS: Dashon Goldson    *FS: Eric Weddle

*P: Brandon Fields   *K: Nick Folk  *KR: Jacoby Jones
Despite Kevin Kolb that's the best offense we have. As if AP and CJ weren't enough that would easily be the best line the NFL had ever seen. Even with Revis and Willis the defense is pretty weak. Great top end, no depth.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
:drat:, that OL.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

The 2011 draft was great I think it only looks so dominant because all of those guys are in their primes right now. I love Cam but most of these other quarterbacks blow him out of the water and there really isn't a run game to speak of for the class. As of right now I don't know that anyone has a better team than 2003.

The run game is going to be just fine for the 5-9 games that Murray isn't injured.

superaielman
Mar 16, 2006

You can't harm me. Are you a fucking ass? Do you not know who I am? He must not know who I am.
2010 would be an all time great minus one position.

QB: Sam Bradford, Tim Tebow
RB: CJ Spiller, Ryan Mathews, James Starks, Joique Bell
FB: John Conner
WR: Demaryius Thomas, Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown, Victor Cruz
TE: Rob Growkowski, Jimmy Graham, Aaron Hernadez
OT: Jared Veldheer, Bryan Bulaga, Trent Williams, Rodger Saffold, Russell Okung (Could kick Saffold inside to tackle)
OG: Mike Iupati, Jon Asamoah
C: Maurkice Pouncey

DT: Geno Atkins, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy
DE: Greg Hardy, Jason Pierre Paul, Carlos Dunlap, Lamaar Houston
LB: Daryl Washington, Sean Lee (IR), Navorro Bowman, Brandon Spikes
CB- Joe Haden, Sam Shields, Alterraun Verner, Devin McCortney (I know he's a safety but yeesh there's too much talent at safety from this year)
S-Kam Chancellor, Earl Thomas, TJ Ward, Eric Berry :stare:

K/P:: Zoltan Mesko
KR: Trinton Holliday

That defense would make the 2007 Patriots cry for their mothers.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Why did you put the second string qb first there?

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

If there's one thing we've learned about today's NFL it's that you can't win without a run game

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
The Seahawks literally just won the Superbowl. It was in all the papers.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Yeah they could never have won without Lynch's 15 carries for 39 yards

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Intruder posted:

Yeah they could never have won without Lynch's 15 carries for 39 yards

They don't get that far without Lynch and you know it

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

They don't get that far without Lynch and you know it

If you replace Lynch with a league average RB they have a very good chance of making the Superbowl anyway

I think that's a less outrageous argument to make than saying that you'd be better off with a top flight RB and Kevin Kolb at QB than Cam Newton and a Murray or Vereen

Besides, my point was that you don't absolutely have to have a great running game to be an elite or championship team. Just because the latest team to win the Superbowl had a great RB doesn't mean it's a prerequisite

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
Well they didn't exactly win off of Wilson's arm either but whatever.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Hm if only there were something other than the running backs or quarterback that could explain Seattle's dominant performance

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Intruder posted:

If you replace Lynch with a league average RB they have a very good chance of making the Superbowl anyway

I think that's a less outrageous argument to make than saying that you'd be better off with a top flight RB and Kevin Kolb at QB than Cam Newton and a Murray or Vereen

Besides, my point was that you don't absolutely have to have a great running game to be an elite or championship team. Just because the latest team to win the Superbowl had a great RB doesn't mean it's a prerequisite

You also don't need a great QB or Great WRs or a Great O-line or a great pass rush or a great secondary but you do need to have at least some of those traits. QB is more important than RB but running the ball is still an huge part of building a good team and if it's a weakness it'll get exploited.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Intruder posted:

Hm if only there were something other than the running backs or quarterback that could explain Seattle's dominant performance

"Defense wins championships" might be the only platitude spouted by sportscasters that has a lick of truth.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

The Puppy Bowl posted:

You also don't need a great QB or Great WRs or a Great O-line or a great pass rush or a great secondary but you do need to have at least some of those traits. QB is more important than RB but running the ball is still an huge part of building a good team and if it's a weakness it'll get exploited.

Kevin Kolb stretches the limits of "QB isn't best" pretty far though

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
With that line and those receivers Kevin Kolb would look like Tom Brady. Well, maybe an early era Tom Brady..

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

So then what does Cam look like with his receivers? :stare: AJ Green, Julio Jones, Torrey Smith, Julius Thomas

And having to spy Cam every play gives Vereen or Murray an easier time of it running the ball

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
I'd figure having Calvin Johnson around makes running the ball a bit easier too. 2011 is better overall but not better on offense. It's all moot anyway, I still think 2003 beats up on everybody.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

2002 will be hard to top for worst lineup.

QB: David Garrard
RB: Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook
WR: Deion Branch, Donte Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney
TE: Jeremy Shockey
T: Bryant McKinnie, Chester Pitts
G: Andre Gurode, LeCharles Bentley
C: Melvin Fowler

DE: Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney
DT: Brett Kiesel, Albert Hanyesworth, John Henderson
LB: Will Witherspoon, Scott Fujita, Larry Foote
CB: Lito Sheppard, Quentin Jammer
S: Ed Reed, Roy Williams, Chris Hope

P: Dave Zastudil
K: Jeff Chandler

Well, you've got a great pair of ends and running backs!

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

1998 is pretty great but if you put Takeo Spikes on the team I guess you'll never make the playoffs

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
2011 is real nice and everything but Chris Conte and Rahim Moore in your safety spots? barfffff

Go deep all day.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Perfectly fine with teams drawing up deep plays with that pass rush

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Miko posted:

2011 is real nice and everything but Chris Conte and Rahim Moore in your safety spots? barfffff

Go deep all day.

It doesn't matter if they go deep. Sherman and Peterson aren't losing their man.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Chichevache posted:

It doesn't matter if they go deep. Sherman and Peterson aren't losing their man.

Especially since aside from Megatron there's no one to really be afraid of :v:

HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

1992 produces an amazing team.

QB: Brad Johnson, Jeff Blake
RB: Edgar Bennett, Amp Lee
FB: Sam Gash
WR: Jimmy Smith, Carl Pickens, Robert Brooks
TE: Mark Chmurra
C: Jeff Christy
G: David Dixon, Jay Leeuwenburg
T: Bob Whitfield, Leon Searcy

DT: Chester McGlockton, Keith Hamilton
DE: Robert Porcher, Marco Coleman
ILB: Levon Kirkland, Robert Jones
OLB: Eddie Robinson, Ed McDaniel
CB: Troy Vincent, Ashley Ambrose
S: Darren Woodson, Darryl Williams

K: Jason Hansen
KR: Michael Bates
P: Pumpy Tudors

Pumpy never played a down as far as I can tell, but I could not resist the name.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Holy balls, QBs/RBs in that draft :psyberger:

I actually went and looked to make sure you weren't just picking lovely players on purpose for some of those spots. You really weren't... other than Pumpy. God drat.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

That's actually a very good defense. That offense though...eugh.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
Ridiculous to think this was our first Hanson-less season

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
So this weekend I'll pick up football mogul and figure out if it'll work for us. Next Sunday or Monday I'll close this thread and open the voting thread and we can start voting on rosters. Gerneral consensus seems to be:

Roster
14 offensive players, determine base personnel, * for base personnel.

15 defensive players, base and nickel?, * for every down.

KR, K, P, LS if available

Yes to Free Agents and SD.

3 years of experience

Any last second arguments?

Good idea.
VVVV

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 17, 2014

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Can we expand defensive rosters to 15? That way we could field a dime DB as well. There's definitely enough offensive firepower to warrant running a dime. (Or even a quarter but finding 7 decent DBs in a draft may be pushing it.)

Badfinger
Dec 16, 2004

Timeouts?!

We'll take care of that.

Kalli posted:

2002 will be hard to top for worst lineup.

QB: David Garrard
RB: Clinton Portis, Brian Westbrook
WR: Deion Branch, Donte Stallworth, Jabar Gaffney
TE: Jeremy Shockey
T: Bryant McKinnie, Chester Pitts
G: Andre Gurode, LeCharles Bentley
C: Melvin Fowler

DE: Julius Peppers, Dwight Freeney
DT: Brett Kiesel, Albert Hanyesworth, John Henderson
LB: Will Witherspoon, Scott Fujita, Larry Foote
CB: Lito Sheppard, Quentin Jammer
S: Ed Reed, Roy Williams, Chris Hope

P: Dave Zastudil
K: Jeff Chandler

Well, you've got a great pair of ends and running backs!

I always forget that Westbrook was drafted in 2002. I keep thinking 2003, but it 2002 when he and the Eagles' super bowl secondary got drafted. I'd consider replacing one of the cornerbacks with Sheldon Brown. Take your pick, really.

Badfinger fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 18, 2014

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Jammer was pretty solid for a long long time

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

ROSS MY SALAD posted:

Jammer was pretty solid for a long long time

Yeah. He was never a world beater, but he was drat good for several years before a rather sudden drop of a rather steep cliff. Was it injuries, or just age? I mean he is 34 now, but I really don't know the whole story there.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Fenrir posted:

Yeah. He was never a world beater, but he was drat good for several years before a rather sudden drop of a rather steep cliff. Was it injuries, or just age? I mean he is 34 now, but I really don't know the whole story there.

Age. He just wasn't fast enough to keep up with anyone anymore. I was hoping the Chargers would convert him to Strong Safety and pair him up with Weddle, because Jammer is still a great tackler and really good against the run, but financial reasons wouldn't allow that. He was the longest tenured Charger on the roster after Tomlinson left, and I really wanted him to end his career here. Really awesome, standup guy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This is what I came up with for 2005. Still not sure about Darren Sproles; I might have slotted him over Braylon Edwards but I figured having a solid return guy wouldn't hurt.

QB: Aaron Rodgers
HB: Frank Gore
FB: Ronnie Brown
WR1: Roddy White
WR2: Vincent Jackson
TE1: Heath Miller
WR3/TE2: Braylon Edwards
LT: Jammal Brown
LG: Logan Mankins
C: Chris Myers
RG: Evan Mathis
RT: Michael Roos