Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Coming in knowing absolutely nothing about Knights of Sidonia I think the series so far isn't too bad. I'll say that the CG for the mecha isn't bad in my opinion though. Honestly though I guessed the elite squad was either going to be mostly or entirely wiped out. Looking forward to seeing where this is going to go.

Also I love the opening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Joshlemagne posted:

I find this pretty hard to believe since there's been cgi in anime for over a decade. And pretty much every show these days uses at least some cgi, which is generally well-integrated enough that the majority of people don't even notice it. Full-cgi productions are rare, but becoming more common. It's not that nobody has experience with cgi so much as them experimenting to get it to look "right". In this case they equate "right" to "looking like regular anime" which is something that's hard to do in an all-cgi production. And that's why you get stuff like the weird framerate. I think if you just told them to make a cgi show that wasn't connected to a manga and didn't need to try to mimic an anime style so closely you'd get a much better result.

On the other hand, the base quality of their animation rigs seem pretty subpar all in all. Budget can drive that to a degree, yes, but with a decent quality rig and computational time to make the textures look fine you can produce something that looks pretty drat good even for full CGI. I mean, with mo-capping you can make it look pretty natural, and that's typically much quicker than shifting the rigs manually.

I can see it definitely being another part of the whole "GOTTA MAKE IT LOOK ANIME!!" but I dunno, even when the full-on anime studios with the most CG experience have produced full-CG films they tend to look like really in-engine video game cutscenes (like the full CG Cyborg 009 film).

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Toei did make that recent Captain Harlock movie, though to be fair they didn't try to animeify it. Even James Cameron was impressed. They're also making that CG Urobuchi movie that I thought was a 2D anime when I first saw the trailer because they did the stuttering effect really well. But then again it was a trailer with that ridiculous filter so maybe it won't look as good in the movie proper.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Harlock movie also has Toei's highest production budget ever, so there's that.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Demicol posted:

Captain Harlock movie also has Toei's highest production budget ever, so there's that.

It did look nice, though it had a pretty rough case of characters acting like they were in a Final Fantasy cutscene, especially with the way they moved and how scenes were shot. It rarely felt like I was watching a movie, more like I was watching a really long video game cutscene. A cutscene with nice production values mind you, but a cutscene nonetheless.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

Zorak posted:

On the other hand, the base quality of their animation rigs seem pretty subpar all in all. Budget can drive that to a degree, yes, but with a decent quality rig and computational time to make the textures look fine you can produce something that looks pretty drat good even for full CGI. I mean, with mo-capping you can make it look pretty natural, and that's typically much quicker than shifting the rigs manually.

I can see it definitely being another part of the whole "GOTTA MAKE IT LOOK ANIME!!" but I dunno, even when the full-on anime studios with the most CG experience have produced full-CG films they tend to look like really in-engine video game cutscenes (like the full CG Cyborg 009 film).

Yeah most of the experience of cgi companies is in doing action scenes or crowd scenes and trying to integrate them into the normal animation. Or videogame cutscenes which are still 99% action scenes. There isn't as much experience doing main character animations, subtle facial expressions and so on. I don't think it'll take too long to start hitting on the ways to make it "right". But there are likely going to be mistakes or odd choices like the framerate thing before that can happen.

quote:

It did look nice, though it had a pretty rough case of characters acting like they were in a Final Fantasy cutscene, especially with the way they moved and how scenes were shot. It rarely felt like I was watching a movie, more like I was watching a really long video game cutscene. A cutscene with nice production values mind you, but a cutscene nonetheless.

I wonder how much of this is just weirdness in how the Japanese do mocap stuff. I've noticed in game cutscenes that the characters often have weird, exaggerated motions that don't really look natural. It just seems like the culture of how they direct that stuff. Like it's all about capturing movement so you should be moving. All the time with constant gestures. We paid a lot for this setup, don't just stand there.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

This show is just harem bologna in the end, right? All the relevant male characters except the rear end in a top hat are dead.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Potsticker posted:

This show is just harem bologna in the end, right? All the relevant male characters except the rear end in a top hat are dead.

Not really, no, unless the anime changes it. There are elements of that but it is not a rom com at all really. Plus Izana is neither a relevant male OR female character.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I
A big thing with CGI, specifically in Sidonia, is that it highlights just how bad the cinematography is in most anime. So many From-behind shots with a character's head blocking half the frame. Weird dutch angles everywhere. Strange mid shots that just manage to clutter the frame!

Honestly, the CGI would at least look more passable if the director knew how to construct a scene but it's kind of harsh to hold it against them specifically because it's a consistent problem with even good anime that isn't CGI.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zorak posted:

Not really, no, unless the anime changes it. There are elements of that but it is not a rom com at all really. Plus Izana is neither a relevant male OR female character.

Please. Izana was presenting as female so hard this last episode. From the way they dressed for the festival to the way they act around/towards Tanizaki.

And I didn't mean to imply rom com with the harem descriptor anyway. Right now the Main Character is totally unique and the best pilot even though (most) people don't know it and us surrounded by female or female-presenting characters who find him oh so interesting and/or intriguing.

And again, the only other remaining male character has shown to be an unlikable rear end in a top hat.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Joshlemagne posted:

I wonder how much of this is just weirdness in how the Japanese do mocap stuff. I've noticed in game cutscenes that the characters often have weird, exaggerated motions that don't really look natural. It just seems like the culture of how they direct that stuff. Like it's all about capturing movement so you should be moving. All the time with constant gestures. We paid a lot for this setup, don't just stand there.

This is more of a difference on what acting is supposed to look like. Japanese theater is extremely, well, theatrical and the characters tend to "overact" for lack of a better word.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Oh, the strategist is male. I forgot about him since he only interacts with the Capain and the Comms operator.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Potsticker posted:

Please. Izana was presenting as female so hard this last episode. From the way they dressed for the festival to the way they act around/towards Tanizaki.

And I didn't mean to imply rom com with the harem descriptor anyway. Right now the Main Character is totally unique and the best pilot even though (most) people don't know it and us surrounded by female or female-presenting characters who find him oh so interesting and/or intriguing.

And again, the only other remaining male character has shown to be an unlikable rear end in a top hat.

Early on there's definitely some harem-esque slice of life stuff because Nihei spends a fair amount of time in the earlier chapters introducing you to Sidonia's weird rear end setting with stuff like Izana, the bear lady Hiyama, and the Clone Sister Legion. Tanikaze is basically the generic Outsider's Perspective everyman character at this point. People find him interesting largely because by simple dint of being normal by our standards he's actually really loving weird. Imagine if you met someone in real life who couldn't digest food and had to eat rocks like a chicken to grind stuff up; that's basically how bizarre his need to eat regularly is to your average Sidonian. He's also interesting because he's a mole person who popped up out of the ground one day and was instantly adopted by the captain herself - a figure so enigmatic and powerful that almost no one has ever seen her face - and instantly promoted to pilot cadet status which is apparently a highly prestigious and difficult to attain position.

Depending on how they pace things, things should change fairly drastically pretty soon. It's hard to say without knowing how much of the manga they intend to cover.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Potsticker posted:

The source material is pretty equitable when it comes to people dying.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

See, I wish the Elite team hadn't been killed off, or the Midorikawa siblings had their genders reversed because even a small change like that would make the show appear to be more like you're describing. Akai's interest in Tanizaki's encounter with the Gauna and how he felt in such a dangerous situation-- of course they all got killed off, but it was an interesting contrast to how most students are treating him because he's weird. To them. To us Tanizaki is normal.

And there was even a stock changing room peeking scene last episode!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Zorak posted:

The source material is pretty equitable when it comes to people dying.

My complaints have nothing to do with who is dying, but with who is alive.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Srice posted:

Well, a video game cutscene is basically a very short CG movies so...

I think part of the issue is that when we thing CG movie we generally think of Pixar, Dreamworks, etc. with their pervasive cartoony aesthetic, so seeing something like Harlock try to looks like a real movie despite even the characters faces being mo-capped CG throws us off. Gravity, which was 99% CG, still felt like a real movie simply because we saw Clooney's and Bullock's real faces.

Joshlemagne
Mar 6, 2013

trucutru posted:

This is more of a difference on what acting is supposed to look like. Japanese theater is extremely, well, theatrical and the characters tend to "overact" for lack of a better word.

I haven't really noticed this in most live-action acting, though. Outside of like tokusatsu stuff or comedic characters who do tend to be more physical. Although I don't exactly watch a ton of live-action stuff so I could be wrong. It just strikes me as more inexperienced direction mixed with actors trying to impart character the only way they can, through motion, and maybe get a bit overeager with it. Although if someone wants to do a detailed comparative breakdown of Noh acting styles versus cgi acting in anime/video games I'd read it :eng101:

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Potsticker posted:

See, I wish the Elite team hadn't been killed off, or the Midorikawa siblings had their genders reversed because even a small change like that would make the show appear to be more like you're describing. Akai's interest in Tanizaki's encounter with the Gauna and how he felt in such a dangerous situation-- of course they all got killed off, but it was an interesting contrast to how most students are treating him because he's weird. To them. To us Tanizaki is normal.

And there was even a stock changing room peeking scene last episode!

The manga (and anime) is kinda conflicted in that it depicts a future advanced society but it is aimed at regular current not-so-advanced society. So, yeah, the genders may be perfectly equal in the future but you still get depictions of the males trying to protect the females (and everybody dying for that) and lots of photosynthesis room peeking shenanigans.

Also, in the last episode they went to the sea and it was not your typical beach episode. Something is something.

Joshlemagne posted:

I haven't really noticed this in most live-action acting, though. Outside of like tokusatsu stuff or comedic characters who do tend to be more physical. Although I don't exactly watch a ton of live-action stuff so I could be wrong. It just strikes me as more inexperienced direction mixed with actors trying to impart character the only way they can, through motion, and maybe get a bit overeager with it. Although if someone wants to do a detailed comparative breakdown of Noh acting styles versus cgi acting in anime/video games I'd read it :eng101:

My uneducated guess is that it is a bit of both.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

trucutru posted:

The manga (and anime) is kinda conflicted in that it depicts a future advanced society but it is aimed at regular current not-so-advanced society. So, yeah, the genders may be perfectly equal in the future but you still get depictions of the males trying to protect the females (and everybody dying for that) and lots of photosynthesis room peeking shenanigans.

Also, in the last episode they went to the sea and it was not your typical beach episode. Something is something.

That's dissapointing. My partner was pushing me to watch this and I feel better about telling him I'm dropping it if it really is the generic anime plot trash it appears to be.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Joshlemagne posted:

When I watched the live-action versions of GTO and Honey & Clover, I found the acting more cartoonish than the animated versions.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Just started reading the manga. I have to say I think I prefer the anime's pacing and handling of the parts they've both covered. The anime also expands on a lot of things and I think it makes for a better story.

Reminds me of the early parts of the first Fullmetal Alchemist anime compared to Brotherhood.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009
Nearly a full minute of obnoxious time filler flash back. Thank you anime.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
That was a masterful episode all the same, though. This show has really impressed me so far.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Xythar posted:

That was a masterful episode all the same, though. This show has really impressed me so far.

They certainly do holyshit spectacle really well, even if the character art is Hirai-level and the animation often almost RWBY-level during the quiet sections. It sort of feels like they had this big wonderful amazing thing to show us, but they tried to do it a decade too early. Still, I'm glad that they tried, because the stuff that leaks through the technical and directorial limitations is very cool.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Wow, that hard turn was loving brutal.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Sir Isaac Newton is the deadliest son of a bitch in space. The turning sequence was fantastic, especially the sound of the main engines.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
That episode just blew my mind. Some of the character animation still isn't that great, but most everything else was fantastic.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is the spaceship actually going anywhere in particular or is it intended to just float around space forever?

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is the spaceship actually going anywhere in particular or is it intended to just float around space forever?

They are looking for somewhere to settle, but I don't think they have a set destination in mind.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

The general idea seems to be 'away from where the Gauna are'.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

That was a really good episode and if I can expect more like that I'll be sticking with the show and possibly pick up the manga.

...Except for the part where Hoshijiro ejects with just her pilot suit on and the next time we see her adrift she's somehow inside an escape capsule. Was that a goof or did I miss something?

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

GimmickMan posted:

That was a really good episode and if I can expect more like that I'll be sticking with the show and possibly pick up the manga.

...Except for the part where Hoshijiro ejects with just her pilot suit on and the next time we see her adrift she's somehow inside an escape capsule. Was that a goof or did I miss something?

It's an inflatable shield contained within her backpack. You can see her deflating it in the preview.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I figured it was something like that, there's too much attention to detail for something like that to slip through.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dr_Amazing posted:

They're gonna keep floating around forever until they can find out how to escape being devoured by horrific space nightmare monsters, pretty much.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I really have no clue what all the bitching is about. I think this is pretty great!

GimmickMan posted:

The manga is fantastic. Then again I love all of Nihei's work so I am pretty biased.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

It's an inflatable shield contained within her backpack. You can see her deflating it in the preview.

You can actually see her backpack is open when she's inside the sphere.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Maybe it's just the 10 FPS CGI that prevents me from really getting invested, but what am I missing about this episode? Main character gets to do a sicknasty solo frag on the Big Bad Space Monster because he's the main character and has hard work and guts or whatever, and then because space japan has poor OSHA compliance and didn't make enough rails a bunch of nameless people die and now there's blood everywhere. Feels really generic.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I dunno, I think my favorite aspect of the episode was just how huge and heavy and massive everything was. They weren't just zipping around in space, they had to account for the physics of everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I also liked the AoT sense of the unrestrained brutality not just in watching people splatter onto the walls of a building, but in watching the captain having to make this decision knowing exactly what was going to happen.

• Locked thread