Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I think he's most similar to Anton Chigurh, where he's a real person but has an almost supernatural ability to show up and disappear and create chaos. That's one of my favorite elements of the Coens' work and his character is what has me already hooked in the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think he's most similar to Anton Chigurh, where he's a real person but has an almost supernatural ability to show up and disappear and create chaos.

I know, I enjoy Creepy Coen Characters too. At the same time I enjoy when people argue super hard about how ambiguous characters are obviously supposed to represent X, Y, and Z. And with a Coen-esque TV show, now I can sit back and read wild theorycrafting every week :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Colonel Whitey posted:

I think he's most similar to Anton Chigurh, where he's a real person but has an almost supernatural ability to show up and disappear and create chaos. That's one of my favorite elements of the Coens' work and his character is what has me already hooked in the show.

I agree, or at least they're certainly painting him that way - come on, the whole "Here be dragons" speech?

Lots of supernatural things have happened in Coen Bros. films, just not in Fargo. This isn't like the True Detective thread (yet) because you have to assume that anything involving the Coens might be completely screwing with you.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Wanna see Malvo and Chigurh cruising around America, getting into adventures, having fun, raising hell. Chigurh is all business, Lorne is the funny one.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Frostwerks posted:

Wanna see Malvo and Chigurh cruising around America, getting into adventures, having fun, raising hell. Chigurh is all business, Lorne is the funny one.

They have only one nemesis: the sheriff from O Brother :D

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Chirgurh flips his coin, tries to catch it. Only now, it is in Lorne's hand. Chigurh exhales nostrily.

Helmacron
Jun 3, 2005

looking down at the world
Just a Catch 22, here, is that speaking as someone who has occasionally checked someone over relating to illness/injury, I would notice that wound. It is obvious. Also, I would likely bandage it. However, as it's unbandaged in a hospital setting, that would mean it was unnoticed.

As to what all of this means and whether it will actually irritate me when I get the answers, I don't know. I do know that I feel very silly for thinking this much into a television show, however, and don't know how anyone could do it full time.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Helmacron posted:

Just a Catch 22, here, is that speaking as someone who has occasionally checked someone over relating to illness/injury, I would notice that wound. It is obvious. Also, I would likely bandage it. However, as it's unbandaged in a hospital setting, that would mean it was unnoticed.

As to what all of this means and whether it will actually irritate me when I get the answers, I don't know. I do know that I feel very silly for thinking this much into a television show, however, and don't know how anyone could do it full time.

Speaking as someone who spent the first ~22 years of my life in the small-town upper Midwest, a small wound like that going unnoticed at the tiny local hospital wouldn't surprise me. In small towns, you're going to have the same handful of cops/doctors doing the same sorts of jobs for decades and homicides are going to be very rare. Small, well-intentioned fuckups are pretty common when you all of a sudden have to function outside your bubble.

I really enjoyed the pilot and both it and the movie do a great job of capturing the ennui of winters in that region. One minor complaint- the accent work isn't as good in the TV pilot as it was in the movie. I'm sure a lot of viewers won't mind this as I realize the upper Midwest accents can be a bit grating to some, but the accent was weaker or absent in a lot of the cast and not as well done as the movie. That's fine, in reality you'd have a good-size contingent of non-locals living in your small town and not everyone is going to be laying it on thick, but it could use improvement.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Colonel Whitey posted:

He does have the "omniscient bowl cut" thing going on, that's for sure.

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
As to the "bathroom shotgun" thing, I assumed it was just that BBT arrived at the house during the 10-15 minutes that Freeman was practicing answering the front door threateningly, saw him doing this, and then either slipped around to the back door or just watched through the giant window next to the door while Freeman was placing it in the bathroom.

No explanation for the basement escape though.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

The Lone Biker of The Apocalypse happens to wind up next to them at a red light one day and rolls his eyes at the snippets of their conversation that he hears before driving off.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

nwin posted:

ok the female cop flying through the air was pretty great.

hcreight posted:

This needs a gif, clearly.

I really enjoyed the first episode and look forward to tuning in for the rest. It was great fun!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Adam Goldberg!

This scene is amazing.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

quirky assassins rule

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Billy Bob is still the best part of this show but Adam Goldberg and his partner are climbing fast.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Lester is more composed than I'd expect

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

This takes place in 2006?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
the cutthroat world of regional truckin'

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
Dude has a thing for motivational quotes.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Bill is the worst.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

Desht posted:

Dude has a thing for motivational quotes.

I have long suspected that motivational quotes correlate with murder

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I can't hear Bob Odenkirk and NOT think of Saul. Even with the accent.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

precision posted:

I can't hear Bob Odenkirk and NOT think of Saul. Even with the accent.

Gonna send Lester to Belize.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Whoever called the wound being a "tell tale heart thing" was spot on I guess.

"I'll need to see your ID."
"No."

Goddamn Thornton, just give him all the awards right now

precision fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Apr 23, 2014

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.
Lester is literally the worst liar in history. He's had days, how was he unprepared to be asked about Malvo again?

"Yeah, the guy wasn't from around here, and we were trying to see if we knew any of the same people. He knew Sam, I guess, and didn't like him. Sam and I were never friends, but I don't like no out-of-towners to come around and start badtalking folks around here, so I told him what's what."

And then give a description of Malvo and you're done.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

have a blessed day

surf rock posted:

Lester is literally the worst liar in history. He's had days, how was he unprepared to be asked about Malvo again?

"Yeah, the guy wasn't from around here, and we were trying to see if we knew any of the same people. He knew Sam, I guess, and didn't like him. Sam and I were never friends, but I don't like no out-of-towners to come around and start badtalking folks around here, so I told him what's what."

And then give a description of Malvo and you're done.

He's kind of a meek loser idiot, I think

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

You have a blessed day

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oh my god Oliver Platt is Nathan Arizona

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

oatgan posted:

have a blessed day

He's kind of a meek loser idiot, I think

He also actually did have a concussion.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Am I gonna have to come back there and get it myself?

I'm a minister apparently. Have a bless-ed day.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
Haha, the placement of that crown.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

kara-tea :allears:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This scene is giving me more of a David Lynch vibe

and I'm loving it.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Holy poo poo, a CB and/or HAM radio?

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Nothing better happen to that dog

EDIT: Or Officer Colin Hanks for that matter

Roman Reigns fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Apr 23, 2014

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Colin is definitely slowly transforming into his dad.

Edit: Also BBT stealing the station wagon had me laughing and laughing.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

I don't think that guy is long for this world

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

CBJSprague24 posted:

Holy poo poo, a CB and/or HAM radio?

CB

This is place for dicks who like pussy, not pussies who like dick.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
That was an awkward cut to commercial...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

that sure is Dennis Reynolds right there

• Locked thread