Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I spent about 5 hours today marathoning the last few episodes of the 6th season of Mad Men, and I'm in love. I liked the show a lot, but I think the 6th season is my favorite yet. The set design and cinematography are as great as always, but I feel like things are finally turning against Don, and he may actually be learning. Plus Pete gets poo poo on a LOT, which I'm a fan of.

Now to avoid spoilers for season 7A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

I'm wrapping up the sixth season as I type this and nothing is coming to mind. What?

Probably this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSZd6MnEuLw

Although if I have to pick one great line reading, it's gotta be Don whining like a baby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skkVhu0xKc0

Edit: I can't find a Youtube clip of Ginsberg quoting the Bhagavad Gita, and Benson's response, which is another great moment. Season 6 Mad Men is so good.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 14, 2014

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

morestuff posted:

All these cryptocurrencies remind me of Itchy and Scratch Money.

Your analogy is perfect.

Rooney McNibnug posted:

That American Juggalo documentary linked on the page isn't too bad:

e: I don't want to embed it because of the NSFW preview image.

American Juggalo owns really hard. "We got alcohol, we got explosives, let me show you how great we are!"

FishBulb posted:

I heard they were moving it to Missouri

Yay?

The owner of the park where they were going to have it literally got death threats from the town residents, so the Gathering is now in Ohio or Iowa or somewhere. When they announced it was in Missouri, I had a couple friends who were dead-set on going just because they wanted to experience American Juggalo first-hand.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

DNS posted:

Batting cleanup for Dickeye. drat thats a new indignity even for a lovely retard like you.

You're like the chief dude who torments us with gay rear end crap about comics and music. Or at least #2 (thats not the only way you're like #2, lol) behind Dickeye. I want to plunge a knife into your yankee chest while whispering "shh, shh" like the guy from Saving Private Ryan. An insanely stupid and self-impressed fruit like you doesn't have any business looking down on the lowest paramecium, let alone Subg.

Hahahaha holy poo poo

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I'm from the midwest, and I've only been to Culver's, Steak n Shake, and Portillo's, which I didn't even know was a chain. I didn't know Maid-Rite was a chain either; we've got one of those in town, but I've never been to it.

Moviechat: I'm watching Amour for my film class tonight. I'm ready to be emotionally drained.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

dreadnought posted:

I always get a hearty chuckle anytime I hear about "St. Louis-style BBQ," but I'll admit y'all got your pizza game on lock. My favorite place in the city is Leo's, which is a St. Louis-style pizza place that, honestly, is so much better than Imo's* it's not really comparable.

*Disclaimer: I have been to Imo's like 3 times in my life, and only one of those was actually in the 'Lou.

FishBulb posted:

St Louis style pizza is an abomination though.

St. Louis pizza fails the ultimate pizza test, the Cold Pizza The Morning After A Hangover Test, and therefore it's not good pizza. I say this as a certified resident of St. Louis County. I dunno how it became so popular, cause it's not good.

TrixRabbi posted:

I feel this way too. I'm a terrible procrastinator and CineD enables me. I had plans to play tennis with a friend today but then it rained non-stop all afternoon.

Oh god, CineD is my #1 source of procrastination. I can't do schoolwork when I can instantly read about people discussing anything but movies.

Speaking of movies, Amour hit me hard. It was so measured and slow, but that made the emotionally draining bits hit really hard. It's such a small movie, but it does a lot with its limited setting, and really delves into Georges' dilemma of his own interests against his wife's. I can't think of anything substantial to say about it, because it knocked me on my rear end.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

The embarrassing part? I've still never seen North by Northwest.

drat, son, get on that poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBxjwurp_04

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Criminal Minded posted:

I was underwhelmed by the whole thing.

I don't think I ever want to see Frozen because I've seen too many goddamn posts on facebook about NAVY SEALS SING or DAD PHOTOBOMBS DAUGHTER SINGING or DISNEY CHARACTERS SING Let It Go. I'm exhausted with that song, and I've only heard it once or twice.

Slice of life: I've got a full-time job in KC/Lee's Summit (I don't know if Kansas City people still consider smaller towns to be part of KC or not, in St. Louis everything in the county's still considered St. Louis), and I'll be moving there in about a month and a half. I know a few KC people are in here, are there any particular places that I should check for apartments? Should I make it a point to stop by SA HQ and bug Lowtax?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

Do you wanna live in the suburbs or the city and how afraid are you of black people?

Like I said, my job's going to be in Lee's Summit, so I'd prefer something close to that, unless it's actually a bad area to live.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

Lee Summit is a fine, perfectly boring suburb. It's pretty "new" as far as development goes so there's plenty of Applebee's and Targets. It's also home to missouri's largest concentration of hate groups according to the Southern Poverty Law Center so there's that.

Seriously though it's the suburbs. It's fine, everywhere here is cheap to live. It'll probably be kinda boring if you're looking for a bunch of singles bars and clubs but if that's not your scene it'll be like any other suburb.

This sounds boring and like a not-fun place to be, so I'll probably look elsewhere in KC and just commute further.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Rooney McNibnug posted:

Ever searched Youtube out of morbid curiosity for videos that have absolutely no views as far as they have been uploaded?
Well now you can hate yourself on a new level:

http://www.petittube.com/
(It's a stream of videos with 0 views)

e: looks like this site has outages pretty easily.

Most of the ones I've gotten have been in languages I don't know, so I have no idea what's going on here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tddp8L12daY

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

What's ya'lls favorite cold blooded ending to a movie? I'm expecting a lot of The Departed and There Will Be Blood answers but mine has become Countdown To Looking Glass.

Das Boot is one of my favorite cold endings.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Kevar posted:

Good to see there's another SDF fan around here. I think that's like a whole 4 posters now. They have something ridiculous like 7 releases due out this year, which rules.

SDF is pretty dope, I'm listening to Aletta right now.

But drat, this news about Hoskins got me down. Hook was one of my favorite movies as a kid, and he was perfect as Smee.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I'll wear shorts when it's more than 80 outside because hot weather and high humidity makes me sweat like crazy. If it's down to wearing shorts or looking and smelling like sweat all day, I'll pick shorts.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

The MSJ posted:

Name your child after a pretty flower.

...Mulva?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I saw Sorcerer tonight at the KC Alamo Drafthouse, and holy poo poo. Beautiful, contemplative, horrifying, and brutal. There are so many good things about the movie, I can't really pick any specific highlights. I will say that the Tangerine Dream soundtrack worked a lot better than I thought. Also shout out to the dude who said he got a tweet reply from Friedkin before the movie, then after the movie asked a part of the audience to stay seated so he could tweet a pic of them to Friedkin.

Bonus slice of life: during dinner afterwards, my mom said during the tree scene where Dominguez is bashing his fists on the ground, the guy's dick was hanging out.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Maxwell Lord posted:

I was at that screening too! So amazing. I'd been waiting for it basically ever since I heard it was being restored.

I've wanted to see it ever since I learned, years ago, it was a remake of Wages Of Fear. It did not disappoint. One thing I like is the jungle felt like more of an active threat, like it was out to get them from the onset, than the Andes Mountains in Wages Of Fear. Plus that bridge scene was insane.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Unfortunately, I've already seen Hell Comes To Frogtown, and nothing lives up to the opening scene.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

I Before E posted:

Hell Comes To Frogtown is a weird rear end movie

Buddy, we just got to Frogtown. poo poo gets weirder.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

I wear purple chucks to the gym. They cost like 40 bucks and are awesome.

I wouldn't run in my chucks, but they're pretty good for weightlifting.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Should I go see Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade on a big screen during half-price beer day next week?

Who am I kidding, that's a definite yes.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

When is half price beer day at Alamo? That means I could get a PBR tallboy for like 1.50...

Unless I misheard the bartender last week, Sundays are all-day happy hours, so draft beers are half-off. I've only been once so far, but I'm already in love with the Drafthouse.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Criminal Minded posted:

Who does the shot context blog now?

"...the top of the sun rose out of nothing like the head of a great red phallus..." -Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian, or the Evening Redness in the West

"...as the sun fucks the dawn..." -Michael Gira, "A Piece of the Sky" (The Seer)

I'm running it. I should not have started a blog a month before graduating and moving to a city I've never spent any time in, because I'm really behind on the blog. Once I get settled, though, it should be running smoothly again.

Don't forget the ability to "SN-SN-SN-SN-SNAKE EATER-ER-ER-ER-ER"

Moviechat: I saw The Secret Life Of Walter Mitty last night, and Ben Stiller can still direct the hell out of a film. The blue motif was too obvious and was distracting after about 10 minutes, but one of my friends said she didn't notice it. Stiller has a real knack for comedy, and watching him branch into less outrageous stuff was interesting, but still worked for me.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

There is a big indian population in the area, Sprint has a large contingent of Indian employees. They used to show Indian films at the small theatre near the Oak Park Mall until they tore it down.

Are there any theaters in the KC area that I should know about other than the Alamo?

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

TrixRabbi posted:

What's a good movie for when you want to watch something but just cannot focus?

Zoolander

Or this. Dredd is always a good choice.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Gonz posted:

Don't bother my friend, he's dead tired.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plqxShaqFcI

TwistedLadder posted:

Yeah, Watch Dredd!

C'mooonnn, who can resist that face?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXzs5nuGNpg

Edit: this video brought to you by the Under 15 Second Council.

X-Ray Pecs fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 27, 2014

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

effectual posted:

I've never seen Naked Lunch because I can't imagine it topping this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sL102pyaLg

As soon as Naked Lunch was brought up, I had to watch that episode again. "My dad says it's like Vegas run by Ned Flanders" is the perfect description for Branson, MO.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Sheldrake posted:

Nothing pays off like just dicking around on Youtube. The disco version of the theme to Assault on Precinct 13:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXg4aywDkWc

This rules.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You know, when I was first getting into hardcore in the late '90s-early 2000s, Earth Crisis were already pretty firmly ensconced as the joke band or punching bag of the hardcore scene. And to be sure, their later material is terrible, and I just sort of bought into that party line without actually listening to them very much at all. But within the past year I've gone back and realized that, y'know what? Destroy the Machines is actually a pretty great album.

No apologies.

It might just be me, but Firestorm is also dope
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c1aXBmnKSk

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Slice of life: driving a cargo van with an apartment's worth of stuff 4 hours is not as much like Sorcerer or Wages Of Fear as I imagined. Thankfully, I'm pretty much settled, and just looking at upcoming movies and concerts are already denting my wallet. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade is on Sunday, Stop Making Sense is showing only 5 minutes from my house in two weeks, there's a Deafheaven/Pallbearer show in a few weeks... I'm going to enjoy living in a city with some culture.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

What part of town did you end up moving to?

Hyde Park.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Given how much I love the Talking Heads, I'm kinda surprised by how little I like Stop Making Sense. All that goofy prop comedy bullshit really turns me off.

I like some of the prop stuff, especially the Big Suit. The weakest part of the film is definitely Chris Frantz's vocals in Genius Of Love. "UH HUH! PSYCHEDELIC AND FUNKADELIC!"

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
The only time I've ever felt panicky during a movie was The Road. I was watching it while in the midst of one of those existential phases, and the dad telling the kid to kill himself if he ever got caught was a bit too much for me to handle. Kinda surprising that's the only one, seeing how I sometimes get panic attacks for no apparent reason.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Literally The Worst posted:

My next poop is scheduled for Tuesday.

When I move to Charlotte I want to shave my head and start like an old school oi band and make fun of Nazi skinhead punk. Call the band the Hitler Poop and all the songs are about Nazis and poop. Hitler More Like Shitler, Deutchsland Deutchsland Pooper Alles, Everybody Poops (Hitler Does it in his Pants). It'll be fun stuff. You know, for the kids.

Adump Shitler
The Third Rectum

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

ubergnu posted:

Stupid movie, hated the characters, dumb as poo poo monster. 5/5, would watch again.

Cined.txt

I think I'm with TrixRabbi, I like A New Hope better than Empire. Empire goes farther and you get to see new, unique places, but there's something to how simple A New Hope is, it's a timeless story with flawless execution. I can't really think of any better way to describe my feelings.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Someone in either this thread or the Greenlighted thread mentioned that A Million Ways To Die In The West features about 30 minutes of footage from The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly, and I just can't fathom that, I need more detail.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

bows1 posted:

A ton of super nerds and bad haircuts at this showing of Sorcerer.

At my showing there was a guy with an iPad who asked our row for before and after pictures of the audience so he could tweet them to Friedkin.

Mister J posted:

I loved the truck repairing montage because all I kept thinking was "of course these dudes just know how to build a loving truck."

That part really stuck with me. The oil draining then cutting to the well fire was perfect.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

They spend too much time in the town and the main character is a goofus French dingus.

The entire first hour sets up the hopelessness and nihilism the truck-driving parts of the movie explores, and works as its own mini-movie anyway. I couldn't pick between Wages of Fear and Sorcerer, both are great.

I got back from seeing Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade on the big screen, and I forgot how fun that movie is. I particularly love how the action scenes keep upping the tension while there's a lot of comedy moments in the action scenes as well. Sean Connery and Harrison Ford also have amazing chemistry. Something I never would have noticed if I weren't in a theater; young Indy cuts his chin while taming a lion in the beginning, and you can clearly see a scar on older Indy in the same spot. Goddamn, such a great movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I've never noticed that in any other Harrison Ford role. You learn something new every day.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

UnknownMercenary posted:

In some previous iteration of this thread there was some gif making thing that became all the rage for a short while.

Does anyone remember what I'm talking about?

Gifcam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Rapgenius' existence is justified by the Dr. Evil Remix of Hard Knock Life.

penismightier posted:

I hate how much I like Godzilla's Revenge and Godzilla's idiot son.

Minya sucks forever and ever, amen.

• Locked thread