Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Something about this feels kinda hinky
The site where John Dilinger died is now a Qdoba.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I've only done a few conventions, and never one I couldn't walk to from my apartment, but I really enjoyed those few. I only did the autograph line once and it turns out Peter Davison is the nicest grandpa, but the best people to meet are writers and artists that are so happy to talk with people who enjoy their work.

Sheldrake posted:

Drink heavily beforehand.

Also, tape that poo poo.

One of our guys is bringing professional recording equipment, it's covered. He happens to be the guy who makes these: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAE3324F1A53CA85E

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

morestuff posted:

This might be the year I go to C2E2, but all I really want to do is buy some cheap trade paperbacks. Is that even possible at those things?

Shopping is pretty much the point of the show floor. I got a whole volume of Asimov's short fiction for like a buck last year. Once Sunday comes around none of the vendors want to put their stuff back in boxes and take it home again.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

This is a short film we all need to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryuFiWy0GK4

(and it's almost as good companion piece: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HY2LdMNVG8)

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Oh yeah, that's a great one actually! I like the bit of trivia that apparently Leo Dicaprio was SUPER nervous to kiss Joanna Lumley.

i still really like Good Will Hunting, guys. I think I need help. That movie represents every corny, saccharine thing I hate in the movies and yet I still fall for it. I feel like it's the most damning trait I've inherited from being from Boston.

It's not your fault.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

A more interesting list is the Retro-Hugos, awards given for years where there were not Hugos given for whatever reason, usually because they predate the whole thing. This year they're doing 1939 and I think Orson Welles has a good shot at the dramatic presentation category: http://www.thehugoawards.org/hugo-history/1939-retro-hugo-awards/

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I didn't stop saying "I'm gonna marry you!" until I was already about 3 months married. Yes it was a threat.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I went to the store because some of the free comics on offer looked cool, and walked out with $85 less dollars. I hope some of the horrible nerds at your store had the decency to pick something up. I'm happy with the Uncle Scrooge, Atomic Robo, and Mouse Guard/Archaia sampler books but wish my local shop had ordered today's 2000AD offering as well.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

If this is the price we have to pay to get rid of Hetalia then I'm down.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I prefer Amnesia, a thinking man's game

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

What I wanna see is all these people speedrunning the game at once.

As close as you're gonna get

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I like how in the From Russia With Love novel SMERSH wants to take out Bond because he's hosed up like half a dozen of their plans, but in the movie SPECTRE is just so severe they'll they'll kill him for Dr No alone.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I clicked on this thread and fell into 2004 VH1.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

The angsty dance scene in the Footloose remake starts with krumping, and I really can't get behind that choice.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If I ask them to drop Prometheus, will they knock it down to 15?

You can get just the Anthology for $25. Yes, in this deal Prometheus is worth negative money.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I hope that when I die I see it coming and am of sound mind so I can write my own eulogy. Is that a narcissistic thing to do?

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

General Ironicus posted:

I hope that when I die I see it coming and am of sound mind so I can write my own eulogy. Is that a narcissistic thing to do?

I think I answered my own question when I found myself earnestly hoping to see this:

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I have a white, nearly invisible hair on my forehead that never stops growing.

The limpest unicorn.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Fat Lou posted:

E-sports?

Please support E-Sports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9ZI6I56604

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone who interrupts Alan Cumming deserves to be arrested.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

In fact you should leave anyone alone if they're cumming.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

The good news is Peace Walker is the best one.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Alien 3 would be a good movie if it had more than one color.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

A standard 10-wheeler dump truck can carry 14.5 tons on the interstate, that comes to about $52,616,800 in pennies. Good luck with that contract.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

YTotD: Hamlet in Rock (aka Hamlet die Rockoper, aka Hamlet in Space)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpL3LtKEAug

It's a shame the thumbnail spoils one of my favorite parts.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 29, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Ten months from now we'll be talking about Michael Cera's nomination at the Tony Awards. Mark my words.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Nobody ever marks my words :(

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Geekboy posted:

1) Cut my tongue while cleaning my knife ("HEY THERE ARE BITS OF SALAMI ON THIS LET ME LICK IT TO OW")

Have you ever met someone and worried that you're actually too much alike? Because we're so much alike that we were making incest jokes.

besties.

I haven't decided whether I should make a joke involving my penis and reparations or my penis and the Holocaust.

Same with Resurrection.

These are the things you posted that you shouldn't have.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

zandert33 posted:

Well sure, context would help.

If I said "I can't wait for the new Spielberg movie" it's obvious who I'm talking about.

If I just randomly said "I can't wait for the new Smith movie" MAYBE you'd know right away who I meant, but maybe not. I know I wouldn't know without saying "Kevin Smith?" and waiting for confirmation. Which defeats the purpose of only using the last name.

"I can't wait for the new Kevin Smith movie." would also prompt followup questions.

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 8, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Ken Penders used to write the Sonic the Hedgehog series for Archie comics, which was about as bad as you're thinking right now. He also populated the comic with over 200 characters, mostly Sonic color swaps and many generations of echidna that nobody could possibly care about, and has spent years suing people for the right to continue his stories with them. He also made a Sonic movie pitch way back when, which has just leaked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc2-fUf8wBs

E: Don't miss the companion powerpoint presentation: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B95glW8UeSnia2xuRWljQzFyTWc/

General Ironicus fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 9, 2014

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

axleblaze posted:

"They said it was just a video game but I knew better. After all, my Dad's job was to search for life on other planets, although many version of the events he witnessed made their way out into the media. That was just security doing it's job but who could keep a secret that big, right? Anyways, this is what my dad said really happened."

:psyduck:

I don't...even. What? No individial part of that makes any sense nor does it go with any other part of it. It's just pure gibberish.

This pitch was made in 2006. Meaning all the Dreamcast/PS2 generation games were already out and the Sonic X anime as on the air. Instead this pitch is meant to use a film to attract more readers to the Archie comic he was fired from that year.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Alhazred posted:

We really need a Uncharted game where Elena Fisher is the protagonist.

First level teaches the player stealth mechanics as they avoid interacting with anyone at Jeff's funeral.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

axleblaze posted:

I just beat the game Drakengard 3 today and the credits were presented in alphabetical order. I don'e mean that like the names were in alphabetical order, I mean they took everyone that worked on the game (and every outside software they used) arranged it all alphabetically by first name and then put what that person did afterwards. I don't think I've ever seen anything do that ever. It was just sort of odd.

Portal 2 did the names the same way, without listing their positions at all. From what I've heard about their process I think it might be a Valve thing, but I haven't seen the credits of their other games recently enough to say.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

I'd like to thank Hewlett for sponsoring a contest that allowed me to own all these wonderful things: http://imgur.com/a/GBr1K

The air fresheners are the worst thing I've ever smelled, and a utensil kit for the grill I don't own is the perfect compliment to that movie I'll never see. As you can see there are 3 corncob holders, for your one-and-a-half ears of corn.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I've never heard a whiter combination of things than Family Guy, Black Ops 2, and Thrift Shop. Why would you do this to us?

I just got home from a small party where someone said "I think I'm over Trader Joes".

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

penismightier posted:

What is it even like to say something that magnificent?

"What's your name?"
"Misty Blowhole"
"Funny, I never miss."

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Saga makes me angry whenever I'm finished reading it because I don't want it to end. Check out Saga and we can suffer together.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Anyone who does an autobiography before age 35 is either nuts, or admitting they plan to do nothing more with their life.

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Vincent posted:

Are you talking a manga-only list or are you considering other types of comics too?

There are other types of comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Ironicus
Aug 21, 2008

Gatts posted:

I was at an awesome wedding this last weekend and the groom made his own playlist and it was movie themes. Jurrasic Park, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Lawrence of Arabia, Back to the Future, etc. It was classy and cool.

How the gently caress did anyone dance.

• Locked thread