Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Vargo, I finally watched Frozen tonight, and I caught this post from early on the movie's thread:

And I'm gonna have to ask you return your ears to the proper authorities, because you just lost the right to use them. For all of the complaints one can level at Wicked, and there are a number, if you don't get chills down your spine, bumps on your arm, and randomly stand and applaud at the final note of that song, you have no soul. Let It Go doesn't come close.

Dude, Dickeye has a better taste in music than you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
After reading the past few pages, I have the urge to give most of you swirlies.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Desert pizza:

Salsa and nacho cheeze on a tortilla, microwave until boiling.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Tars Tarkas posted:

I don't blame him, I'd leave as well after being singled out for something so trivial. It's not like it's hard to find people bragging about going to see lame bands and arguing about comic books anywhere else.

Yeah, I can't imagine anyone else in this thread reacting well to getting called for their posting, and being met with the peanut gallery comments of "Pretentious" and "Baby", because yeah, that makes this thread a cool place to post about movies and not a refuge for cliquey shitposters or anything.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

MisterBibs posted:

I will never understand the notion of eating cold pizza. There is a device that most people have that turns Cold Food That Was Once Warm back to Warm Food.

Because it's delicious. And the breakfast of champions.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Gonz posted:

Advice: Do not go see Transcendence. I repeat, do NOT go see Transcendence.

You can't stop me, I can watch any bad cyberpunk movie I want!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yoshifan823 posted:

Ok, thought exercise: can anyone else think of either some really highly anticipated movies from first time directors that were poo poo, or that were good but bombed and killed their career? Who are some awesome one-and-done directors?

Saul Bass?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

DrVenkman posted:

I learned that Keanu Reeves started a Cancer charity to help children, but he doesn't attach his name to it because he doesn't want it to look like a celebrity cause thing. He's also made donated $5 Million to help with his sister's illness, and he spent the day sitting on the side of the road with a homeless dude just shooting the poo poo one time. All in all, if more celebrities were like Keanu Reeves then Hollywood would be a better place.

He's just trying to atone for all the sins of his immortal life.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

effectual posted:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006625/?ref_=tt_ov_dr ? That's a pretty good career. Ask him what his craziest music video story is.

I think we're all overlooking that his first film was past youtube of the day, Electric Dreams.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek08KvgqFGM

He also directed Money for Nothing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAD6Obi7Cag

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

weekly font posted:

Episode I was pretty practical in a lot of places before Lucas said gently caress it where's my chair.

The part that surprised me though, is there are scenes there from all three films in those photos.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

zVxTeflon posted:

are you guys putting goony rear end poo poo in your e-dating profiles like zizek or some crap?

This is my okcupid profile:

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

penismightier posted:

Are you kidding me?

Are you really feigning outrage at a twenty year old term?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

the fleshzone.

I decided to google this and, well, speaking of things from twenty years ago:
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/Doggystyll/fleshpage.html

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I thought Giygas was a womb and the game was about abortion.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Here, have a youtubes, a disturbing and amazing cartoon from out of Fleischer Studios in 1930.
Swing You Sinners!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xZocdDR9WM

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

These punks run on steam!

Time to write that book about renegade videogame developers!

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

As a struggling artist, do I like, wear a sign or something?

Smoke weed erryday.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Spatula City posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist and Fullmetal Alchemist:Brotherhood are about the only anime I'd feel comfortable recommending to normal real life people, largely because both series are about the only ones I can think of that aren't sort of creepy towards women (maybe because the writer of the original manga was a woman).
Paranoia Agent is the other anime I've seen all the way through that isn't casually misogynist, but it's...Lynchian meets Japanese culture, so most people would check out after one episode.

I love Paranoia Agent. "Happy Family Planning" is one of the greatest episodes of anything.

My current scoot loudout in TF2 is based on Lil' Slugger.

I just wish the series was easily available for purchase.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I Before E posted:

What the gently caress, this won't help me send pictures of Dick Togo, Dick The Bruiser, Dick Justice, Dick Murdoch, Dick Van Dyke, Tricky Dick Nixon, Dickie Betts, Dick Dale, Big Dick Johnson, Big Dick Dudley, Ricky Steamboat(real name Dick Blood), The Dicks, The Johnsons, The Ding Dongs, or Hugh G. Rection at all!

But now Don Johnson can get some live facetime! A brave new era.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Oh man, Blur, I love that woohoo song!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSbBvKaM6sk

Actually back in high school, a friend gave me her copy of The Great Escape, because it didn't sound anything like Song 2.

Huh, it looks like there's been a culling of Blur videos on youtube for some reason.
But whatever:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyXgC0l8o4k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNumVU9uBgo
Blur owns.

And this is my favourite Gorillaz:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhPaWIeULKk

I think it's funny how everyone was talking about how fun and lighthearted ASM2 was looking, and then, whoops gruesome murder.
The Raimi Spider-Man movies are awesome, you'd have to be a curmudgeon or a dweeb to hate 'em.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ASM's Gwen Stacy was basically a fetish object.

So, the internet's view of Emma Stone then?

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Yeah, fuckin' hell man.

I just got out of Grand Budapest Hotel, and the first time Agatha appeared on screen this woman sitting next to me whispered "Oh, Mexico!".

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CloseFriend posted:

Bad news on the celebrity death front for anyone who doesn't know yet. :smith:

Michael Caine no!

wyoming fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 3, 2014

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

I've often said Kool Keith is the Moby Dick of hip-hop.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I just bought this ridiculous thing, because I didn't have the extended version:

It's like a project some nerd made in shop class.

I also picked up the double disc 25th Anniversary set of Cannibal Holocaust. I'm guessing someone decided to sell off their horror collection. They had a bunch of Troma stuff as well.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

If you know by heart what the language of the wookie is by heart then...well...

And if you don't, you're just missing out on all the best things in life:
http://wookieepedia.org/

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r5M9qod37g

Suddenly it's 1998 again!

Losing Streak and Hello Rockview are still pretty solid albums. Never really did care for any of their albums past that.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
My mind has combined the original and the remake, to the point where I was surprised the gun store guy wasn't in the original.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
The problem with Zack Snyder is he doesn't know what to cut, I mean, his cut of Watchmen is like six hours long.

But speaking of extended cuts, The Wicker Man was pretty disappointing, all the deleted scenes were just spelling things out other scenes either implyed or already had spelled out, and as much as I love the Gently Johnny song on the soundtrack, that scenes really doesn't fit into the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RsjMcEqjZ-c

In the extended version, this serves as the introduction to Lord Summerisle. Which is unfortunate, because the scene of Sgt. Howie showing up at his castle is my favourite scene in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzCSSvMesxA

I'd like to think that's the normal resting pose of Christopher Lee.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

In the not too distant future, nerds will be complaining about tactile realism.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Mary Jane kills Dumbledore.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

penismightier posted:

Netflix threw some Bond movies up and I can confirm that From Russia With Love is the best one.

Oh nice, I've been wanting to watch that one.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

There's something really charming about his racism, and maybe it's just a condescending British colonialist thing that's so different from American racism. Bond genuinely marveling at fried chicken and Harlem honies cracks me up rather than making me feel uneasy, unlike the supposedly "fun" Robert E. Howard stories that are just chock full of virulent hatred. There is some of that stuff too, like Bond being tortured about being attracted to Solitaire but deciding it's okay because she's half white. Some of the poo poo in You Only Live Twice is insane as well.

I'm guessing I've been lucky enough to avoid Howard's racist moments. I've only read a handful of Conan stories though I've been reading a lot of Lovecraft though, and holy poo poo is that man unpleasant. I really don't understand why he has so much traction these days, his writing is abysmal and for every creepy idea he writes it's followed up with a huge racist tirade. I'm already tired of hearing about phrenology. :(

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

It seems to be mostly in the non-Conan stuff, Conan seems more interested in square jawed, old fashioned, adventure style sexism.

Hm, I wonder where that would be popular *clicks on any random site that allows comments*

Also oiled up boys in loincloths.

And look at this guy, pretending SJWs aren't taking are freedoms.
No one really owns up to it though, it's always handwaved "Oh, he was just afraid of everyone" "He had a Jewish wife!" and so on.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Lovecraft isn't interesting in spite of his racism. He is interesting because of it.

Oh I definitely agree, the amorphous blob at the end of At the Mountains of Madness is probably the greatest image he's written, and it's only his thinly veiled fear of minorities rising up and decapitating white men.

But at the same time it's just a slog to read him congratulating himself for the hilarious joke of naming a cat Niggerman.

Hilariously, just about the only person Internet-at-Large seems to ever want to treat as a full fledged human being with faults and foibles is Adolf Hitler.

Parental sounds about right, at least some sense of ownership. And this is just as depressing as hilarious.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I just find Howard's stuff a chore to read. It's all the goddamn same. Even next to Lovecraft.

While every Conan story follows the exact same structure, they're at least fun to read, which is more than I can say of most Lovecraft stories. Though I am in the middle of reading Herbert West: Reanimator right now and it's a lot of fun.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Maxwell Lord posted:

The man was a talented writer,

Hahah, no. He was creative, but he's about as schlocky pulp as you get.

One of my favourite examples of his writing:

quote:

There had been a gorgeous sunset, and now the moon came up, nearly full and shedding a silver flood over the plain, the distant mountainside, and the curious low mounds that rose here and there. It was a peaceful Arcadian scene, but knowing what it hid I hated it. I hated the mocking moon, the hypocritical plain, the festering mountain, and those sinister mounds.

This is the handwaving I'm talking about, the dudes work is always about inferior humans and bloodlines or thinly veiled minorities. It is the text, and the text is racist poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hahaha, that's this idiot again isn't it?

My favourite chart:

Even ignoring that he conveniently used a game that was massively on sale to prove his point, I love that he specifies he didn't read the poems in Lord of the Rings.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Please tell me this is how they introduced themselves. Internet icebreaker.

Did you hear about Pluto? Messed up, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Carnivalesque.

Carnival knowledge.

• Locked thread