Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

I didn't see a thread here, so I figured I'd create one. Sorry if the OP is poo poo, this is what happens when the thread is created on the day of the show.

Tonight is the start of the final season of Mad Men on AMC, starting at 9pm ET / 6pm PT. We're just about to hit the 1970s, as creator Matt Weiner had intended to do all along. Let's look at our cast of characters this season:

Don Draper (Jon Hamm):

Creative Director at Sterling Cooper & Partners, also known as Dick Whitman, also an adulterer

Peggy Olson (Elizabeth Moss):

Copy Chief at SC&P, also Don's protege

Pete Campbell (Vincent Kartheiser):

A partner at SC&P, also the slimiest one

Joan Harris (Christina Hendricks):

A partner at SC&P, also DAT rear end

Roger Sterling (John Slattery):

A partner at SC&P, also check out Sterling's Gold, it's a good inspirational read on the toilet

Betty Francis (January Jones):

Don Draper's ex-wife, also current wife of Henry Francis, also not fat

Henry Francis (Christopher Stanley):

Married to Betty, works for the mayor of NY, also hates Don

Megan Draper (Jessica Pare):

Married to Don, also an actress, also doesn't know what Don's been fuckin on the side

Sally Draper (Kiernan Shipka):

Daughter to Don and Betty, also will have deep scarring emotional problems very soon

Harry Crane (Rich Sommer):

Head of the Media Department at SC&P, also loves going out to California a whole lot

Stan Rizzo (Jay R. Ferguson):

Art Director at SC&P, also rockin' that beard

Ken Cosgrove (Aaron Staton):

Accounts Executive at SC&P, also rockin' that eyepatch

Michael Ginsberg (Ben Feldman):

Copywriter at SC&P, also a virgin

Ted Chaough (Kevin Rahm):

Creative Director at SC&P, also a man of integrity with marriage after dumping Mistress Peggy

Jim Cutler (Harry Hamlin):

Senior Partner at SC&P, also in the same realm as Roger (I wonder if he has a book)

Dawn Chambers (Teyonah Parris):

Secretary to Don Draper, also hasn't been hosed by Don as of yet

Trudy Campbell (Alison Brie):

Was married to Pete Campbell, also will destroy you

Bob Bunson (James Wolk):

The new guy in SC&P, also the best guy

There's also a bunch of other characters like Bert Cooper and Matt Weiner's son and the rest of the secretaries at SC&P, but they'll make their rounds during the season eventually.

Hopefully we also figure out who falls from the building!

edit: Here are some cool .gifs from the season so far

Ep. 3:
HONK HONK
chugchugchug
Mother of the Forever

Ep. 4:

Dancing Peasant fucked around with this message at 04:05 on May 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Stoked that the final season is starting up (honestly I've been busy as hell and forgot that it was this month already), but hella pissed that AMC is breaking it up between 2 years.

Is the top image the actual official poster?

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Stoked that the final season is starting up (honestly I've been busy as hell and forgot that it was this month already), but hella pissed that AMC is breaking it up between 2 years.

Is the top image the actual official poster?

Yes. That pattern has been used in the step and repeat for the premieres.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How many episodes will there be this year?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Hunh. Yeah I guess Peter Max is a good idea for the era. I haven't seen any previews or promos so it just surprised me a bit.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

14 episodes total, but split into two parts, so 7 for this year and 7 for next year.

Also, I messed up the thread tag, but I think leaving it at "Comedy" may work in some instances, I dunno.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Did goons stop caring about Mad Men while I wasn't looking? drat

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

net cafe scandal posted:

Well, it's certainly going to be crushed tonight.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
I think there's been some dips in quality/the series got kind of long in the teeth for a few seasons? I don't know. I've always liked it and actually really liked season six, but I hear complaints about the show all around.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mad Men is so set in its core storytelling loop of Don approaching some moment of self-understanding and then backsliding that I understand why there's a fatigue.

Hopefully with the end in sight this season will amble to some kind of point beyond "piece of poo poo man kind of starts to realize he's a piece of poo poo before falling back into a stupor of liquor and adultery" but I guess tonight will begin to tell.

Also, let's place some blame for public apathy on this half-season garbage. Beyond obnoxious, every time.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe its just not as flashy and exciting as a lot of other premium dramas. There aren't explosions or gunfights or people getting swords through their dicks or brutal murders. It's people talking and cheating on each other.

I'm in no way saying that stuff like Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad or True Detective are bad or lacking substance or anything, but Mad Men can seem like a glacially slow show where nothing happens. That's this biggest complaint I've seen about the show, even though yes, things have happened, because everyone's still alive and has both hands, it feels like it hasn't.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The last season was sort of meandering and boring at times I felt. Most of the plotlines had been done a billion times before (Don has an affair!)and the most interesting moments were in the last few episodes or got little airtime compared to others(Trudy's saga against Pete).

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

wow just had the entire season spoiled. be careful out there...

for goons interested, the spoilers are here: http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/tv-r...n-season-7.html

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The show's central problem is that it's in love with Don's angst, which means the entire ensemble of more interesting characters gets shoved aside a good portion of the time.

Season six was all about the fact that Don can't really change, not even when he shakes up his circumstances. Seven seasons is a lot of time to spend with a character who is explicitly and fundamentally static.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Matt Zoller Seitz put up a 'Season 7 preview' that contains no information about Season 7 but is actually a very nice, nuanced look at the whole series and some of its most potent themes.

I can kind of see why some people weren't so hot on Season 6 and the accusations of 're-treading the same ground' aren't totally unfair but I still felt like every episode (and every scene) gave me more to enjoy and consider than pretty much any other show on TV last year (possibly barring Enlightened). 'The Crash' (the one where everyone takes drugs) is one of my favourite episodes in the show's whole run. Plus the finale was exceptional and I feel justified some of the plotlines in the season people were a little dubious of. I think the new episodes have been a little under-anticipated just because everyone feels like the split final season is bullshit, I'm sure there'll be a fair amount of hype this time next year for the actual final episodes.

GraPar fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 13, 2014

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
Total sucker for the series with a largely uncritical eye.

I am so excited.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

net cafe scandal posted:

I love it but I still haven't watched season 6. I should really get on that, since it just got put on Netflix.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy
I'm seriously excited for Mad Men tonight. This will be my first episode viewing outside of a binge watch, and I'm worried that having to wait a week between episodes will be tough given that this show has such a slow developing pace.

Despite Matthew Weiner being extremely averse to previews and spoilers, the few TV spots on AMC that I've seen, along with the title of tonight's episode, Time Zones, seems to point to a lot of West Coast activity. I wouldn't be surprised if Don steals half of SC&P's staff and starts his own ad firm in LA.

Ninja Edit: Also very excited for this thread to be back, too...it helps me catch all the deep symbolism I miss during a watch!

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
I loving love this show and every season. gently caress that if apparently the whole season's been spoiled since it'll be the next loving two years before the end.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
I think Season 6 was probably the show's low point, still with two or three amazing gems throughout. But it seems to be case for a lot of dramas that are planning on finishing their run in the next season; they oftentimes have a somewhat weak second to last season.

At any rate, I'm stoked as hell.

Enigma89
Jan 2, 2007

by CVG
Every time I try to quit smoking this show comes back on. :swoon:

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

Enigma89 posted:

Every time I try to quit smoking this show comes back on. :swoon:

Yeah. It's time to increase the liquor budget a bit.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
What's the big arch for this season? Are we hitting the 70s?

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Harry posted:

What's the big arch for this season? Are we hitting the 70s?

Arc, and read the 4th sentence of the OP

lua
Jun 16, 2013
How would you guys recommend watching the premiere (legally) without cable?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
I went out and got supplies to make Old Fashioned's for tonight.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

No Mods No Masters posted:

Mad Men is so set in its core storytelling loop of Don approaching some moment of self-understanding and then backsliding that I understand why there's a fatigue.

This is very true, but they finally had Don reach rock bottom (or something close to it) last season and he's circling around admitting that he's an alchoholic. His confession about the whore house and the chocolate was almost something akin to what you would hear in an AA meeting.

I'm really hoping he deals with it, and for real this time, not his self prescribed method he did a few seasons ago.

It's the final season, so there is a chance that they'll make him finally break through. Either way, I'm hoping we get some more Freddy Rumsen action.

Also, Mad Men returning means Mad Style is returning, and that's fantastic.

Max fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 14, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Love the Comedy tag :mmmhmm:

I've missed this show so much and I'm so glad it's back. The season finale last season left me so worried but also excited to see this season. Gonna be real loving bummed next year when it ends for good :smithicide:

SuppressdPuberty93 posted:

wow just had the entire season spoiled. be careful out there...

for goons interested, the spoilers are here: http://www.vulture.com/2014/04/tv-r...n-season-7.html
NOPE!

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

It's depressing to see people not being into Mad Men anymore. I just binge watched it and thought it was fantastic all the way through.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Seriously, WHY would anyone spoil themselves on a show like this. It's not like Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad, as previously mentioned, where big stuff happens. This show is more of a character study, and if all you care about is finding out what happens, then you're probably not really watching for any reason other than "cool costumes" or "they drink and smoke and mistreat women a lot!!"

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

NienNunb posted:

It's depressing to see people not being into Mad Men anymore. I just binge watched it and thought it was fantastic all the way through.

Yeah same. Some of Season 1 is a little hokey.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Zero One posted:

I went out and got supplies to make Old Fashioned's for tonight.

poo poo I knew I forgot to get something today!

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Pron on VHS posted:

Arc, and read the 4th sentence of the OP

Guess my edit didn't go through. Are we starting in the 70s?

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

While I'm excited for this season, I'd like to take time out and remember our fallen cast members: Lane Pryce, who once beat up a grimy little pimp because he allowed a Jag exec to get caught with chewing gum on his pubis; Mrs Campbell, who found out the hard way that cruises are not always fun; and Guy McKittrick's foot, which by extension also killed his career because he would never be able to play golf again.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Also this needs to be in the OP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iw0euc4qDk

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."
Really looking forward to this. Last season was one of the best single seasons of TV I've ever seen, and made me glad I stuck with the show this whole time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Still mad that it's a split season. Boo economics, boo AMC.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Harry posted:

Guess my edit didn't go through. Are we starting in the 70s?

Yep. Spoilers ahead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxpkEehUd88

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kraft Muthafuckin' Mayonase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
I can't stand the wait....hurry up and get off my TV Turn...

• Locked thread