Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sash! posted:

Its like I'm watching some other show all the sudden

It definitely felt like a Steven Bochco series for a minute there. The problem is that Mad Men operates in "super serious this stuff matters drama" mode 95% of the time, and when it shifts into being "high camp c'mon can you believe we act like this poo poo matters farce" it is whiplash-inducing.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 04:30 on May 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Slackerish posted:

E: new theory, that guy is Charles Manson and will come back into play, but not as Megan's killer

The back half of the season next year will be a revisionist history wherein Don is called in to help the Manson Family rehab their image ahead of the trial. He succeeds, helps his newly found friend "Chuck" avoid jail time, and decides to remain in LA and start a new career as an image consultant. Much like its network buddy Breaking Bad, the final shot sees Don lounging poolside, sipping on a vibrant, fruity cocktail as he flips his sunglasses down and says, "I could get used to this."

Fetus Tree posted:

Yeah I didn't wanna be too much of a dick but literally nobody ever has been like ahhh yes, the 60s, filled with hotel magnates and canadian club

Why Canadian Club is Don's drink of choice remains the big unanswered question of the series for me. It's just so...dull.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

July 20th was the moon landing, so if we're midway through 1969, it should be right around the corner.

Weiner knew going into the final season that it was going to be split. That said, look at season 6 of The Sopranos, which Weiner wrote for (and plays almost like a prequel to Mad Men in tone and plot structure.) When the first first half ended, there was resolution to a subplot only tangentially related to the lead characters, while everyone else was left in flux. No grand cliffhangers, just teases of personal development. I wouldn't be surprised if 2014's run ends with the moon landing, though I doubt anything nearly as monumental will happen in the characters' personal lives.

Anyhow, gently caress YOU AMC. If this is how they've treated Mad Men and Breaking Bad, their prestige dramas - barely extended episode orders in exchange for a year's delay and the disruption of the story arc structure - imagine what they're going to do their ratings darling The Walking Dead when it finally winds down. 4 years of 4 episode seasons or some bullshit.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 13, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Few things more satisfying than watching the other unsuspecting tourists at the World of Coca-Cola fill up a cup of this and take a big swig.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

And at the same time he's so defensive about it, and I can't decide how much of that is just him being pissed off that his subordinates are being insubordinate, and how much is possible despair over some kind of sad, dim hope that maybe he's actually creative and funny and interesting and not just a pathetic nobody that everyone hates.

I think it's a combination of the two; he knows it's cheap, shoddy work, but how smart do you really need to be to succeed in the goddamn cartoon industry? He's got a leg up on all those schmucks, he's a creative director!

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SoupyTwist posted:

Known for his creative works, such as:

Exactly. One of the running messages of this half season is that Lou is safe, he doesn't take risks and as a result SC&P's work has grown stagnant. He didn't submit any of the work produced under Don's tenure for Clio consideration because he couldn't tangentially take credit for it. Lou is a mercenary, a neglected brigand who is only concerned with Lou. His "stay the course" mentality seems to be working of SC&P's business, why can't such mediocrity work for his own bottom line? The acclaim of his peers is insignificant next to the acclaim of the marketplace.

twistedmentat posted:

What is that stuff?

Imagine that you are in a room with around 3 dozen soda fountains, some of which will shoot a perfect stream of soda in a 20 foot arc through the air and fill your tasting cup perfectly to the brim. All your familiar, comforting Coca-Cola products are there - Classic, Diet Coke, Sprite, Fanta Orange, what have you - but as you go down the line you begin seeing brands and flavors you've never heard of. Apple sodas from Mexico, colors of the Fanta rainbow that are new to your eyes, a melon beverage exclusively for the Japanese market that, miraculously, isn't just Fresca/Citra with a new name. In the middle of all those is an innocuous tap labeled "BEVERLY - ITALY". You eagerly press your cup against the spout and watch the effervescent, ginger ale-colored beverage flow forth. This room hasn't lied to you yet so you take a deep drink before the bubbles can even settle. The second it's against your lips, your nose tells that you you've made a mistake, but by then it's too late. There's quinine, that quirky pallet cleanser, to be sure, but it is quickly overrun with all the rest of them; anise, body odor, a warm beer that has been left open on a sunny windowsill for a week. It's every romantic rejection you've ever felt, that solid right jab to your breadbasket that went unpunished in 5th grade, the motherly Betty Draper threatening you with physical violence for an imagined slight. All this is on your taste buds, drilling its way to the core of your tongue and coating the entirety of your mouth with a bitterness that no treacly pink poo poo from South America can slake, a hatred that lingers in your soul for long after you've left the fountain room and the ludicrously overpriced gee-gaws of the gift shop behind.

That's Beverly.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Athenry posted:

That just got canceled, so maybe in round 2...

I think they've actually filmed all of Mad Men already. I vaguely recall that Rich Sommer mentioned filming season 7 and that the split was only related to air dates, not production, during an appearance on the "Doug Loves Movies" podcast a few months back. I hope James Wolk's schedule allowed them to work Bob Benson in somewhere for an episode or two, it'll be pretty disappointing if the character just gets reduced to a few offhanded mentions.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I could see the Manson murders being used to send Don to California for the second half of the season in a "Must protect my loveless spouse" fugue, or send Megan fleeing back to NYC in a "California is dangerous and I want no part of it and and not just because my career is a joke" panic.

Also, hehehehe

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Why do I get the feeling that Harry's first move as partner is going to stab Don in the back without hesitation or remorse?

Also, that next week trailer was a joke. AMC tries so hard to market this show as a high stakes world of life-or-death, instantaneous consequences when it could not be farther from that.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 19, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I know there's a lot of time left so it doesn't make sense to do it now, but I'm kind of disappointed that they've really backed off of the whole "Don says "gently caress you" and starts his own agency" angle. I thought after the talk with the computer guy it was a done deal.

I think that's the endgame of the series, where we may end up toward the end of the second half of this season - Don, Pete and Peggy, all disillusioned with both their professional and personal lives, banding together to start an agency where creative is paramount.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Illinois Smith posted:

would you like to me "call you" in five minutes?

Meredith, you are just the worst. That Joan apparently, in her last act as office manager before Dawn took over, reassigned Meredith to Don is kind of telling of where he stands with her at the moment. Remember, she threw a plane at this woman once.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 19, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Moltke posted:

"Waterloo" will undoubtedly be a battle. But will it be Don's Waterloo, or will Lou be washed up?

I could easily see a darkly comic situation where the vote goes Roger, Bert and Pete for Don; Cutler, Joan and surprise (to Don) sell-out Harry against. Cutler reiterates that he speaks for Ted, Don is out, the decision is immediate and final, he ends the call and we smash to Ted, beginning to deliver a rousing "I believe in Don Draper" speech on the West Coast.

Double punchline: Ted somehow doesn't find out until next year's season premiere, to double-down on his irrelevancy.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
I hope the final episode has half a dozen "Don jumped out the window!" fake-outs to mess with the people who are convinced that is the only way the series can end.

And then at the very end Harry does it for real, because he is an rear end in a top hat.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

I predict the series will end with Don walking down the street in New York and a window falls from a construction site, killing him.

The Life and Times of Tim Don

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Sash! posted:

Charles Manson took the fall for the real murder master mind: Megan

"This will save my loveless marriage!"

Alternatively, put Peggy's "Does this kind of family even exist anymore?" coming out of Charles Manson's mouth.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

SoupyTwist posted:

That was a great ending, but where does it go from here? They can't spend the last seven episodes on Don fixing his home life.

Unforeseen complications of the McCann deal force characters into uncomfortable positions. We eventually flash forward to 1974, looking at SC&P's staff with McCann contract renewals looming, all with the drama of the Watergate scandal unfolding in the background.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

bornbytheriver posted:

Ted scaring the poo poo out of Sunkist execs was interesting, definitely something out of character for Ted. He must have been at the end of his tether to do something like that.

I am wondering if Ted will be asked to go back to LA or will have to stay in NYC. If it's the latter, how is Peggy going to handle it?

Ted specifically asked if he'd have to stay in NYC when he came around on the deal. He'll be back on the East Coast, drama will ensue.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

Nobody advancing the theory that Burt was loving his maid and died in the midst of celebratory coitus? Hence his subconscious reactionary fear of having a black woman man the front reception desk of SC&P? That falls to me then? Fine. Burt hosed himself to death.

The orchiectomy argues against this.

Bert Cooper was a very old man who had just witnessed something he couldn't have even imagined as a child. His play is played out.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 03:40 on May 27, 2014

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Red posted:

I was about to ask why they chose a fake brand to use for this story arc, but a quick search reveals Burger Chef was a real thing. What a terrible, terrible name - and it says a lot that they were absorbed by the shittiest fast food place there is: Hardees.

Their real advertisements from the late 60's/early 70's featured characters from the Family Circus. Definitely more Lou Avery than Peggy Olsen there.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Max posted:

I recently did a re-watch of the show, and knowing where Don's story eventually ends up, his alcoholism is really right out there for everyone to see, I'm just surprised I never saw it.

In the early seasons all the drinking is still such a novelty, "Look at how they gleefully enjoy a cocktail in the middle of the afternoon!" And then as time goes on, just like a problem drinker in real life, the gloss is fading away and the sloppy, sweaty truth can't be ignored any longer.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Keyser S0ze posted:

It wasn't entirely clear to me but I assumed that shirtless hunkboy was several years older than either Sally or goon telescope enthusiast boy.

Most definitely. The hunk was at the tail end of his high school years, while the Telescope Kid was in mid-pubescence, wearing clothes he'd obviously outgrown but that his mother was in no hurry to replace (The depth of Tom and Lorenzo's Mad Style articles have me analyzing every outfit the second it's on screen. So much storytelling is being done in this series through the costuming alone, it's insane.)

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Another Person posted:

Quick question - what other times can it be argued that Don Draper is having hallucinations? I know this latest episode, and the one where he ends up in the swimming pool (I justify this as him being high as balls) but I cannot remember the specifics of other occasions. I want to go back and watch them, to pay attention to if there are any significant differences in camerawork and production in them.

Off the top of my head, there's the Season 3 opener when he watches his own birth while heating up milk for Gene late at night. He saw Adam while under the influence of anesthesia while getting his "hot tooth" removed, and he saw Anna Draper appear in his office on the night that she died in "The Suitcase"

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

WEREWAIF posted:

Is Bert Cooper's lack of testes ever alluded to after the episode where Don listens to Sterling's autobio tape?

No, the only other allusion was Roger's "Let's ask Dr. Lyle Evans" snipe an episode or two prior. Just the setup for the punchline.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

netally posted:

He also wanted desperately to be a creative in the first season if I recall correctly, pitching copy to clients and ruining Don's presentation.

Yep. Pete sabotaged Bethlehem Steel by esentially ambushing the client at his hotel, outside of work hours, and pitching an entire campaign that he hadn't told anyone else about. It led to the two of them blowing up at each other in the next meeting, and culminated in my favorite Pete quote:

"I have ideas. Direct marketing? I came up with that. Turned out it already existed, but I arrived at it independently! And then I come to this place, and you people tell me that I’m, 'Good with people.' Which is strange, because I’d never heard that before."

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

robot roll call posted:

Congratulations on perfectly distilling Pete Campbell's voice into text formatting.

Thanks, just trying to convey Kartheiser's performance. The dialogue itself is wonderful, but it's his seething and barely concealed contempt that really make Pete such a joy to hate.

DasNeonLicht posted:

Maybe give the thread the title of episode 8? It's called "Severance." There are few pretty vague, but possibly spoilerish reviews here.

I saw The Hollywood Reporter's full review earlier today, and they made mention of "Is That All There Is" as a recurring motif. Peggy Lee's album was released in November of '69, so if we aren't starting in a new decade we're right on the brink.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Mar 25, 2015

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Red posted:

(talking about favorite movie monsters to an adult)

"We're having a conversation!" :haw:

He's so happy that his own mother is talking to him. Poor, poor Bobby. He's going to have middle child syndrome something fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Steve2911 posted:

Are there links to these trailers anywhere? YouTube's come up empty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJDj2ZFR-kI

This is pretty typical - just a wonderful mish-mash of big dramatic line readings, single lines taken from the middle of conversations, and silent shots of characters in mundane situations.

• Locked thread