Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

I love LA Pete. I love surly one-eyed Ken Cosgrove who can't underhand an earring. I love how loving lame Lou Avery is. I'm glad this show is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Mexcillent posted:

Yeah, Cutler orchestrating the destruction of SC&P is one of the coolest features of the last season or so.

I think SC&P is going to collapse under its own dysfunction by the end of this half season.

E: wait poo poo is it still SC&P?!?!?

Yeah, I recall the people from the other agency let them keep it SC&P as a gimmie to get away with some other changes.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I'm glad they kept Lou around, Don vs Lou is going to be an absolute goldmine. It also means that since Don has to report to Lou, he and Peggy are effectively equals. I think their shared creative passion will lead to reconciliation under Lou's aggressive mediocrity.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Who would have thought that Freddie would become a driving force in this show? I don't think Don is going to stop drinking entirely but it was great to see someone throw a bucket of ice water on his head. I don't think Lane's ghost hanging over the proceedings via the Mets pennant was an accident, seeing as this episode was kind of a deconstruction of those (admittedly amazing) season 4 episodes where Don got super trashed with Peggy and Lane. Instead of some characters bonding and having revelations via the amazing powers of alcohol, Don looks like a pathetic drunk and Freddie cuts through all his petulance and bullshit with one simple line: "Do the work, Don".

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

It's easy to make a physical connection with Don, it's almost impossible to connect with him on a deeper level. Megan is jealous and threatened because this runaway pregnant girl out of nowhere has the emotional intimacy with Don that she's been trying to force for years.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

NienNunb posted:

The Scout's Honor stuff was so funny to me.

It cuts to Lou's core so perfectly. Lou's dream isn't to create art or something endearing, he just wants to get rich quick off low effort me-too crap that also happens to be completely tone deaf in the face of Vietnam. He should change his pen name to Jim Davis and try again in a few years.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Venkmanologist posted:

So many great things about this episode but I think my favorite was Bert's reaction to Neil Armstrong's "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind." Given the characters and their work, I was expecting somebody would just start crying or something as a reaction to that.

Bert simply saying "Bravo." was great and pretty poignant.

It was fantastic. Who back then knew that quote would become a landmark in human history?

Cojawfee posted:

I think the way they handled Bert dying was really weird. There was no indication of anything being wrong with him or how he even died (unless I missed it). He says "bravo" then it cuts to another scene, then a scene where Roger takes a phone call and then the scene where he takes Bert's name off the door. Some things about this episode just seemed really weird.

It was sudden, but it was also the perfect place for it to happen. The whole season has been about the new replacing the old. Bert was the old and there is no symbolism of the new better than the goddamned moon landing. He witnessed the ushering in of a future full of hope and optimism and he died fulfilled.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

I'm actually surprised Megan is still around, I wonder what they're going to do with her.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

Steve2911 posted:

I just started rewatching series 1, and the conversion on the last page has already coloured how I view Don. I'm seeing none of the cool, suave mystery and a lot of the backwards, pathetic arsehole.

The only difference is that every other character around him exactly the same way, but we get to watch them all grow up over the course of the decade while Don stagnates.

Don's arc has been excellent. He's taken a lot longer than everyone else to achieve growth, but when he finally bonds with his kids and reconnects with his work it really means something. It feels very carefully crafted over a long period of time even though I know they just play it by ear between seasons.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

"I have ideas. Direct marketing? I came up with that. Turned out it already existed, but I arrived at it independently! And then I come to this place, and you people tell me that I’m, 'Good with people.' Which is strange, because I’d never heard that before."

Congratulations on perfectly distilling Pete Campbell's voice into text formatting.

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

I have a theory that we've entered an era of TV where people watch shows for :tviv: moments and Mad Men doesn't have shocking character deaths, or huge major twists that make people go HOLY poo poo!

Lane's death was pretty shocking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The end of the series will be an Unbreakable-style montage of Pete causing all the major catastrophes of the 1960s. And it'll end with him saying. "You could say that I was... a mad man" :smug:

November 22, 1963. JFK has been shot. The gunman is at large. We zoom in to the window of the book depository where Pete Campell is holding a department store rifle, the barrel still smoking.

"Chip n' Dip, Mr. President."

• Locked thread