Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

What Exactly is Anime Mirai/Young Animator Training Project?
In 2010, the Agency of Cultural Affairs of Japan invested 214 million yen (over 2$ million) in the Young Animator Training Project and entrusted the execution of the project to the Japan Animation Creators Association (JAniCA). In the following years JAniCA produced several original anime in cooperation with different production studios, while continuing to receive money from the Japanese government. Each of the single episode anime was 23 minutes long. Young animators will receive on-the-job-training under the supervision of professional anime creators as the works are shown on TV and/or at anime events.

This year there was 4 anime one shots produced. Unlike the previous year, there are a couple that are specifically aimed towards young children, I have italicized them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BE8-mIZyVUQ

Harmonie
Get the Sub Here
Studio: Ultra Super Pictures
Director: Yasuhiro Yoshiura (Time of Eve, Aquatic Language, Pale Cocoon)
Synopsis:
Every person has his or her own little world. Among the 34 bustling students of classroom 2-1, there are many such worlds.

Akio Honjo's world — my world — is filled with passionate talk about last night's anime with Yoshida, Watanabe, and other friends. It's an fun, comfortable place…. But, I always wonder. Wonder about the world of Juri Makina, smiling and surrounded by gorgeous friends on the other side of the classroom.

One day, I enter her world. But it's not as simple as it sounds.

The Big First-Grader and the Small Second-Grader
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Director: Ayumu Watanabe (Doraemon, Space Brothers)
Synopsis:
First-grader Masaya-kun is a crybaby despite his large stature, so he can't walk by himself on the dark path to school. The one who holds his hand is Akiyo-chan, a tiny but capable second-grader.

Masaya wants to be strong like Akiyo and admires her, but one day, something happens that leaves Akiyo in tears.

To lift Akiyo's spirits, Masaya goes trekking to the distant Ipponsugi forest to find the spotted bellflowers that Akiyo loves. But there are still many paths in the world unknown to him.

Paroru's Future Island
Studio: Shinei Animation
Director: Kazuaki Imai (Doraemon)
Synopsis:
There is a tiny island floating on the other side of a distant sea. Strange animals, still unknown to humans, live there. The children of the island — Paroru, Zuzu, and Rikotto — come across a photo of the human world one day, and fascinated by this beautiful wonder, break the rules and rush out of the island. Paroru and the others are surprised and excited to see the human world for the first time. However, unforeseen pitfalls await them there…. Can they safely reach their journey's destination?

Kuro no Su - Chronus
Studio: Studio 4°C
Director: Naoyuki Onda (Character Designs for Berserk: The Golden Age Arc)
Synopsis:
Makoto Nakazono is a high school student with a small dark secret. Since he was little, he has had the mysterious power to see "black entities" that steal souls — the gods of death known as Fates.

One day, he is suddenly interrogated by one of the "black entities," Akira Seno: "Will you get in our way?"

But Makoto replies with an air of resignation, "There's nothing I can do anyway, so I won't."

At that moment, Makoto didn't notice the threatening shadow approaching his childhood friend Hazuki…

Previous Mirai One-Shots Worth Checking Out

Little Witch Academia, made by Studio Trigger, is about Akko, a witch at a magical academy, who is seen as not very good at magic until an emergency occurs and she has to save the day. It was so popular that a kickstarter was successfully funded to produce a second episode

Wasurenagumo is a short about a young spider demon that is accidentally released. Its quite :3:.

Previous Anime Mirai Thread
2013 Thread

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I was hoping for Death Billiards 2, but I'll have to settle for Kuro no Su - Chronus for this years fave.

CelestialCookie
Oct 23, 2012

I See Dead People
I just saw Harmonie. It is surprisingly exceeds my expectation for a short. The setting was a little generic, but the whole plot kinda surprised me.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I look forward to someone returning to this thread after having watched Wasurenagumo knowing nothing but your short blurb about it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I haven't seen Harmonie yet, but I have seen Time of Eve, Aquatic Language, and Pale Cocoon. To be honest, Harmonie was the one I was looking forwards to the most just because of Yoshiura.

e: Having seen it now, I thought it was pretty good.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 14, 2014

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
I'm not sure what to make of Harmonie. Well written, with a good ear for dialogue and a vaguely unsettling atmosphere. I appreciated that it didn't swerve into full-on fantasy genre, and stayed squarely in unhealthy childhood fixation. And of course, beautifully animated, duh.

I can't help but feel that Harmonie is going to have a sad epilogue that involves a quart of gelatine, paring knives and one hell of an E/N thread.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

Paroru is worth watching for the animation alone. Hopefully its subbed soon.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Squidster posted:

I'm not sure what to make of Harmonie. Well written, with a good ear for dialogue and a vaguely unsettling atmosphere. I appreciated that it didn't swerve into full-on fantasy genre, and stayed squarely in unhealthy childhood fixation. And of course, beautifully animated, duh.

I can't help but feel that Harmonie is going to have a sad epilogue that involves a quart of gelatine, paring knives and one hell of an E/N thread.

Harmonie almost seems like its a pilot for a longer series. I think there is a lot more that could be done with the premise. I mean it even had an ED.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I wouldn't go so far to call it a pilot, but I did feel that there could have been a little more to the ending.

Squidster posted:

I can't help but feel that Harmonie is going to have a sad epilogue that involves a quart of gelatine, paring knives and one hell of an E/N thread.[/spoiler]

I didn't get that feeling. It's not the brightest of endings, but I don't see it going anywhere near that dark. I thought they might do that when there was that creepy, psychedelic flashback bit, but it didn't really go that way after that.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Harmonie almost seems like its a pilot for a longer series. I think there is a lot more that could be done with the premise. I mean it even had an ED.

I waited around for the episode preview :saddowns:

And like, I don't mean that in a bad way, as it works really well as a self contained episode. It's just that it feels like there's an opening for more to happen.

Here's how good it is: I was totally not on board for high school romance poo poo, even obviously well made high school romance poo poo, but once it all came together I loved it.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Apr 14, 2014

Fetucine
Oct 29, 2011

Blhue posted:

I look forward to someone returning to this thread after having watched Wasurenagumo knowing nothing but your short blurb about it.

I did this. Obliterate all spiders :gonk:

Harmonie was really good too, I'd watch a series following it.

Are there any other standouts from previous years not mentioned in the OP? I saw LWA a while ago.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Death Billiards from last year was interesting, if overly ambiguous.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

everyone should watch wasurenagumo it is really good.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Every time someone mentions Wasurenagumo, I can't help but think of Quelaag from Dark Souls in part because it was introduced to me as "Quelaag, the anime".

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Every time someone mentions Wasurenagumo, I can't help but think of Quelaag from Dark Souls in part because it was introduced to me as "Quelaag, the anime".

Of course, Quelaag is a much nicer being than the little spider demon in Wasurenagumo. She's merely gone a bit insane over the years, but was ultimately just trying to protect her sister.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Harmonie was good, but I think I'd rather see it left at the ambiguous end that it was.

I'd much rather just imagine a happily ever after where she throws herself at him and he does his best to maintain her psychological health, romance happens, then he gets the bright idea to turn her fantasies into an LN/Manga/Anime series and they go on to live full lives together.

Why is Harmonie the only one with a link? Are the others just not subbed yet by some group?

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Emalde posted:

Why is Harmonie the only one with a link? Are the others just not subbed yet by some group?
Yeah, it might be awhile though, since the guy who did Harmonie said he wasn't interested in the other shorts.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Harmonie was nice. It's really a love story about someone who wants to discover something profound and someone else who wants to rediscover something profound, that had been locked away. Everything in the story might have a realistic cause and effect, but the magic still exists. And I'm not so cynical to think that it would end in tears. As is, Juri wasn't happy with her ~high school debut~, it was a denial of herself. She didn't particularly like her new friends.

And who the hell calls a shrink on their kid's chuunibyou? She was composing music and already utilising better visual metaphors than I ever did. Sounds more like her classmates were being jerks.

And oh look, there was even a Patema Inverted poster. The director really loves the semi-sci-fi set amongst grassy fields imagery.

Also Wasurenagumo was great, it played out like some kind of twisted morality fable. And look, getting enchanted by ancient sealed evils is a routine part of modern life, I guess!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Blhue posted:

I am very thankful to having read this before going to go watch Wasurenagumo and decided to see just how bad the big secret could be. For how adorable the clips shown that is an absolutely horrifying ending.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I liked Harmonie, especially the not-too-subtle metaphor at the end with the boy "playing" the same three liquids that were in the robot girl.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Chronus is out http://www.saizen-fansubs.com/2014/05/13/chronus-anime-mirai-2014/

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I'll say it straight: that was bad. Coming from the studio that animates Shinkai's stuff, I at least expected it to look good, if not be the best looking of the bunch.(What a sec, where did I get that idea from?) But that was Ugly. Seriously, where did all that money go?

e: VV The usual anime doesn't have something like $400,000 poured into a single episode. Except maybe GitS:SAC.

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 15, 2014

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I thought it seemed to have more frames than your average anime, and the art style was alright.

Story was pretty uninspired though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A good thread about an interesting annual anime project, of course, has like 20 posts but at least it exists. Anime mirai is cool and always worth checking out.

• Locked thread