Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I can't believe it. :neckbeard: It's finally happening. It's here!

Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure is now out, made by Big Finish Games, published by Atlus. (And by extension Sega? Kinda, but no.)

Latest Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkvJQGaFSwA

Now Available on Steam!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261510/

Tesla Effect also on GOG.com

http://www.gog.com/game/tesla_effect_a_tex_murphy_adventure

Who's Tex Murphy? What's this about?

Have a look at the the old thread for my summaries of Tex Murphy and its creators. (requires SA archives) Or see See Wikipedia here.

In short, The Tex Murphy series were adventure and FMV games-- arguably the only truly great FMV games ever made. The last one, Overseer ended with a cliffhanger in 1998. But Access Software was sold to Microsoft and absorbed, along with the rights to Tex Murphy. A new Tex game was never made, and the story unresolved... But 2 years ago the creators ran a very successful Kickstarter. They have actually come through and completed the project in a timely manner! (unlike some Kickstarters we know) I knew they could do it. Big Finish is made up mostly of people who worked on the original games.

I know it's corny, but the existence of this game alone makes me so happy. Sometimes dreams really can came true! :unsmith:

Tesla Effect

Kickstarter backers of this game may have free access upon release or even its Beta version right now depending on what your backing level was. If you haven't been to the private backers area of the Big Finish site, now would be a good time to catch up on that. I haven't played the beta yet even though I can; I haven't had time. :( But I guess I'm not in a hurry since I loved this game before it even was born. :allears:

Hopefully this thread will have more to say as more people play. I haven't yet, and I sort of want the game to be a surprise when I play it for the first time, so I have been half-reading and half-avoiding information on it. Thus, spoilers may or may not be ahead.

Here are the basics:
Like before, it's a futuristic noir setting, and Tesla takes place several years after the events of Overseer. Adventure is still the genre, and It's an FMV game, but not like any we've seen before. The 3D environments are rendered in real time with the actors placed inside them. Although there was a kickstarter, this game wasn't that expensive and is not a major studio release. But the videos and screens I've seen from Tesla look really good regardless. It'll also be available in super HD, beyond 1080p! (How? I don't know.)

Screenshots

Articles & Press

I'll probably update this as things start to heat up more.

Big Finish Games Facebook
Big Finish Games Twitter
Kotaku, April 5
IGN review
Examiner.com review

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I was so surprised to see a Tex Murphy listing on Steam - a NEW game, at that! - that I preordered it sight unseen and cracked out the old games to replay. Though, kind of embarrassing, I just really enjoyed Mean Streets and Martian Memorandum as a kid and never had a chance to get around to the rest of the series. I've got them from GOG, though, and just started Under A Killing Moon. So this is kind of going to be an odyssey for me, three new games and a remake!

I'm chuffed they got Kevin Murphy on board. (And wow, is that really James Earl Jones in UaKM?)

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

My one regret is that I can't play the demo because I already have the full game, eventually.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Hogama posted:

I'm chuffed they got Kevin Murphy on board. (And wow, is that really James Earl Jones in UaKM?)

Yeah, yeah it is. The 90s were a weird place for gaming. Super looking forward to this coming out though, I missed the Kickstarter so I'm gonna have to pick it up once it's out. So excited! :neckbeard:

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I was one of the big raffle winners after their Kickstarter, so I'm getting the $1,000 level stuff at $30 actual money put in. What I've seen so far from the demo and promotional stuff looks good, so I'm also pretty happy about this coming out soon.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
Under a Killing Moon was a fantastic game, this cant possibly not be good!

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Actually with my dad's birthday at the end of the month, I think this'll do well for a present, he loved the old Tex games too.

Lockmat
Oct 2, 2005

Come on, let's go set some prostitutes on fire.
Grimey Drawer
I fired up the demo a couple of days ago to get a taste already, in anticipation of my boxed backer copy :cool: and the new movement system is such a relief after fighting my way through the old ones last year. Only issue I seem to have is that there's a weird green haze over the FMV. The gameplay sections look fine, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The only good FMV games? Zork: Grand Inquisitor, son.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's such a mindfuck seeing a game like this come out today.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

I'm so happy. Tex Murphy games really were the best of the best when it came to the "interactive movie" genre of games. The gameplay consisted of actually navigating places and solving puzzles and fiddling with knobs, instead of just clicking the right bit of a looping FMV backdrop, and the story was fun and compelling, if a little hokey. The setting was really interesting, and while the thing didn't take itself too seriously, it did still invest in presenting the serious parts as actually serious instead of hiding behind several protective layers of irony.

This is the series that Internet Celebrities™ forgot, because it seems sincere and doesn't contain terribly delivered dumb lines you can repeat over and over as a substitute for comedy, or monetize by printing them on t-shirts. And if that's not a glowing endorsement of the series, I don't know what is.

April 22 can't arrive fast enough.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

poptart_fairy posted:

It's such a mindfuck seeing a game like this come out today.

I got really excited for a moment and thought you meant that as literally today, started checking my inbox :saddowns:

AkaiNami
Sep 2, 2011
I'm so excited for this game, because it comes out on my birthday. So this will be a great birthday present for me.
I loved the old games. I even have the Pandora Directive on CD.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
GOG.com is running a Video Contest for the release of Tesla with prizes. You make a video out of a set of clips as if you are being questioned by Tex. Sort of requires a greenscreen, but if you don't have one, whatever. Deadline is May 1st.

http://www.gog.com/news/video_contest_tesla_effect_a_tex_murphy_adventure

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Neurosis posted:

The only good FMV games? Zork: Grand Inquisitor, son.

That's cheating. It has Dirk Benedict, Rip Taylor, and your narrator thing is Michael McKean.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
Bad-ish news: The release date has been moved to May 7th. :geno: They say it's just to polish everything right. I don't have a problem with it.

The good news is that hopefully Atlus will use the extra time to do some better promotion. All they talk about is anime and anime girls since their other game, Conception II, already came out just this week. They haven't even bothered to say much about Tesla Effect even though it was supposed to come out next week.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Luigi Thirty posted:

That's cheating. It has Dirk Benedict, Rip Taylor, and your narrator thing is Michael McKean.

I like Gabriel Knight 2 a lot as well, though the dude playing Gabriel is the most 90s male lead actor I've ever seen.

Fake answer: The Horde featuring Kirk Cameron in his finest role.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Just finished playing through Under a Killing Moon and had a blast. Hadn't played it since the mid-90's and never had the chance to play The Pandora Directive or Overseer, so now I'll have to binge through those as well before Tesla Effect comes out next week. So loving excited for TE and I still can't believe they actually made a new Tex Murphy game.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
GOG.com puts them on sale every once in a while. Maybe they will again when Tesla comes out on Wednesday? (2 days! )

That reminds me: A few months ago GOG.com got the DVD version of Tex Murphy: Overseer working. :) The physical DVD version hardly ever worked since it was the first DVD PC game and the drivers suck; they only work well on Windows 98. GOG.com only had the CD version with crappy video before, but now the GOG.com installer should be the DVD version.

In other news, Tesla Effect premiered at a theater in Salt Lake yesterday, with cast, crew, and backers (alas, I wasn't there). It's getting close! :dance:

one of the actors and the director

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I'm pretty certain I backed at the level to get the game upon release. Are they giving out Steam codes to preload it? Or is it just through their own site's download section.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Preloading through Steam is generally only available for huge AAA releases like Dark Souls or Deus Ex: HR. But yeah, no codes have been put up yet for the Steam release. They'll probably be up either shortly before or after the game is released.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
If you backed the game to $250+ you already have the game on GOG.com with your beta-access code. I redeemed my code for the beta release just today (still haven't played yet. Maybe tonight.) and now the actual game is listed as "owned" on my GOG.com account. Still, I do use Steam more so I'd prefer that eventually.

So I assume that the rest of you will get a code redemption email tomorrow (or whenever) just as I did. But I don't know if it will be Steam or GOG.com. If the email addresses you used for Kickstarter and Steam/GOG aren't the same, be sure to check both accounts, but your code will likely be sent to your Kickstarter email. Look at your Big Finish Games Mutant League account to keep track of your incentives too.

If you backed at $100+, you will also be getting a boxed hard copy of Tesla. The game is going to be far bigger than a DVD-ROM, so I guess it'll be multi-disc just like the old times. :allears:

One more day!
Like I keep saying, this game seemed impossible a couple years ago. Dreams can come truuuuuee :nyan:

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Ema Nymton posted:

If you backed at $100+, you will also be getting a boxed hard copy of Tesla. The game is going to be far bigger than a DVD-ROM, so I guess it'll be multi-disc just like the old times. :allears:

This is the only game I've backed for so much on Kickstarter, just for the boxed hard copy. It'll look great next to my big boxed UAKM:3:

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
OK, I've heard from someone that backers' game keys might be sent out at noon tomorrow. Is that even true? Which time zone? I don't know.

Tonight at 8pm Eastern (6pm Mountain) on Twitch Chris Jones, Aaron Conners, Adrian Carr and the team will have a video Q&A session:

http://www.twitch.tv/cubasetm

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

I just got my steam code email :D Only 1 hour left until I can start downloading this sucker.

Edit: downloading :)

tankadillo fucked around with this message at 19:21 on May 7, 2014

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Game isn't up for download on GOG yet and it is making me pretty bummed out. Wish I bought it on Steam.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Got my code and have quite the download time ahead of me. This isn't even going to seem real. Tex is my favorite dick.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord
:toot: I got my key too and I can hardly wait! But I'll have to because I'm at work.

For those of you who don't read the Big Finish Games backers only forum...

Big Finish Games posted:

Delivery of the download keys is complete at this time.

These are STEAM keys
The download is DRM FREE (this is an option to us—it’s literally a checkbox)
You can download the game, pull it to your desktop and never look at Steam again if that is your choice.

There is no plan I am aware of to send an additional set of GOG keys.

IF you haven’t received you key, don’t panic.
It could be a delay in the servers, but more likely its:
A) The Code went to the email you backed the project with, not the one you expected to be used
B) Caught in your spam filter. There is content (strange characters and a link) in the email that can trigger some filters. Please check.

Some people are :qq: that it's on Steam and not GOG.com, but I think most people will be fine.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm just pissed that 3 hours later GOG still hasn't made the game available for download.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Ema Nymton posted:

Some people are :qq: that it's on Steam and not GOG.com, but I think most people will be fine.

It's DRM free anyway (I actually had no idea until now that DRM was optional for Steam games) which is basically the whole selling point of GOG. Maybe they really want those free wallpapers?

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Downloading from GOG now! If you preordered the game and for some reason the download link doesn't show up, this should fix it: http://www.gog.com/support/tesla_effect_a_tex_murphy_adventure_preorder/ibwebsite_issueb_games_not_displayed_on_my_accounti

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Downloaded from GOG and it turns out it was missing some of the files. What a wonderful experience this has been,

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

is a small town
Buglord

cheesetriangles posted:

Downloaded from GOG and it turns out it was missing some of the files. What a wonderful experience this has been,

Be sure to report it to someone you haven't already. It's obviously not supposed to be that way.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

They are aware and posted that ooops our bad should be fixed now.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

Played it for a couple hours, made it to the end of Day 1. It's got that old goofy Tex charm and you start out in familiar Old San Francisco, but even there you can see that things have changed a bit.

Environments are mostly pretty good so far, although there are some lower resolution textures.

FMVs look really nice and sharp, and in addition to all the stuff shot for this game, there are flashbacks to footage from the older games when you examine some scenery and items.

Conversations progress pretty naturally, but sometimes you're given multiple choices and they can be a bit baffling and vague.

In typical noir detective fashion, the plot is raising more questions than it's answering right now and it's hard to tell where exactly it's going, but it's definitely going somewhere. I also got the impression that Tesla Effect might have multiple endings like The Pandora Directive did, but it's hard to say for sure at this early stage. Day 1 was quite brief and seemed to just lay the groundwork for the plot. Many interesting characters were already introduced, some old, some new.

All things considered, Tesla Effect is pretty rad so far.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

This is definitely an old school adventure game. I'm already stuck on day one :( How the hell are you supposed to get in the warehouse? I have the combination from under the rock, but it still says I need a key to open the box.

And yeah, the conversation choices can be pretty unclear. Probably my only complaint right now.

Tunahead
Mar 26, 2010

tankadillo posted:

This is definitely an old school adventure game. I'm already stuck on day one :( How the hell are you supposed to get in the warehouse? I have the combination from under the rock, but it still says I need a key to open the box.

And yeah, the conversation choices can be pretty unclear. Probably my only complaint right now.

Have you been to the hotel yet? Because you definitely should go there.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I am playing on casual mode and give no fucks what anyone thinks. I ain't got time in my life for solving puzzles.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

Tunahead posted:

Have you been to the hotel yet? Because you definitely should go there.

:doh: of course, it's the tiny object I ran past a dozen times without noticing

I like how they barely changed the old school Tex formula. It really does just feel like a 90s game with HD graphics and better controls, which is awesome. I wonder how appealing it is to the people who didn't play the originals though, especially since the beginning is extremely dense with references.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
The backers who were at a tier high enough to get their photo in the game are in the School of Savants building across from the Golden Gate Hotel. Each of them gets a sentence from Tex, and gives you points, for whatever those are worth. I feel that "Most likely to play key-tar in an indie band" is a fair assessment of my picture. I've gotten through to day 5, and I'm really enjoying myself so far.

• Locked thread