Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Eyjolf Möring, etc. etc.

You can't end everything with an "o" and call it Latin!
Senator, your education was truly lackin'
"Polonia" is the word you should be using
So sharpen up before I give ya another linguistic bruising.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012
You caught me out, I can't deny it
But your correction may cause a riot
"Polonia" is the exact case I need
Quid est, Eyjolf? You're not gonna succeed.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.
Calling the vote there, update either today or tomorrow.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Hey, can we keep it down to one rap battle per update? They make for great content yeah but it's feeling a little :bandwagon:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
If I do my Byzantium thread posts in Greek, then the last great Catholic power here probably demands Latin. My persona shall be a clergyman to facilitate this and votes will be cast appropriately.

avete, patres conscipti! atque nonne conscripsi sumus? nihilominus, omnia gloriae Dei et cetera. paucam etiam potentiam habens, precor ut eam sapientier utar Christoque ministerio prosim sicut ei adhuc prosum. In nomine Patris et Filii et Spiritus Sancti, Amen.

Hail, conscript fathers! And we certainly have been conscripted, haven't we? Still, all for the glory of God and suchlike. Having even this little power, I pray that I may use it wisely and that my service may benefit Christ as it has until now. In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Basically, while the Latin word for senator is indeed senator, the patres conscripti or conscript fathers was another term, referring to some senatorial families who had been jammed in among older ones when the Republic proper was formed. That it is now once more literally true in the Danish case provides some amusement to the senator. And talk to me about the sound levels on this because it sounds fine to me but my audio software shows it being really quiet.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Triskelli posted:

Hey, can we keep it down to one rap battle per update? They make for great content yeah but it's feeling a little :bandwagon:

Considering how saturated this senate could become, I understand completely. I'd like to put forward a senate rule that states that rap battles must be kept between the challenger and their opponent, known as the Step Off Principle. In addition, rap battles should be kept to a minimum, preferably to a limit of three unless there are outstanding circumstances. This would be known as the Keep It Fresh Rule.

That being said, I'm willing to have more advice on this, especially on the Keep it Fresh Rule.

(OOC: Thanqol, how exactly would we go through voting on things like this?)

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Proposal: No rap battles more than once every two updates and the Lawgiver must give permission for the challenge to take place.

One Senator shall challenge another, the other Senator shall accept that challenge, then the Lawgiver will decide whether this challenge should proceed. Rap battling without Lawgiver permission can be punishable by loss of voting privileges.

This sound good, Thanqol?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

I also propose that every challenge must come with a beat that must be rapped to, lest a suitable one be put in instead

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
I agree with the Step Off Principle, as well as keeping it to one rap battle per update at most. It seems that many of our fellow Senators are rapping just to show off their flow and not for a specific reason, leading to an over-saturation of verse.

It would be a shame for an institution as storied and enjoyable to observe as rap battling to become annoying and tedious.

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

because our character has the 'poet' trait, this update shall be told in the format of a rap battle.

1400-1415

"Let me tell you about power."

"Power is when you tell someone to do something, and they do it. Power is every living, breathing person who has suborned their will and intellect to yours. The more people enslave themselves to a single man the more powerful that man is. See, Olef Hjorten. Big hero! Good soldier! 52,000 men march as he commands. But he doesn't have a speck of real power.

"You see, Hjorten is a religious man. He listens to the advice of his priest. He chooses not to wield the power he possesses, throwing it instead at the mercy of abstract forces. He is fortunate that thus far that his priest has been a man who didn't understand the power he held in that little black bible of his."

"But you take that book away from that man and he is nothing.

"And I am everything.

"Hello. I am Jorgen Skram. Inquisitor of the Holy Father. Most powerful man in Europe."

"The war begins. It has to, of course. The Legion craves the fight and has staked it's future on winning it. They think it will be easy but I don't think they really understand just how much things have changed since their old days of crusading against the Poles."

"The world is more connected now. It's not just a matter of taking and holding territory, that is the crudest and least reliable form of power. It's about winning hearts and minds. Even as their war begins the people turn against them, and will continue to do so for the entire course of it."

"The Poles. Blasphemous Satan-worshippers, it is true, but the Legion underestimates the unity of their purpose. Fifty thousand men arise to defend their devil-churches, with more pouring across from the Holy Roman Empire. The Legion expected half this number, more fool they."

"Still, they win. The Lawspeaker is, if nothing else, an excellent soldier. His battlefield prowess is the one advantage Denmark has at this stage of the conflict and I speak truly when I say that without him we would have lost the war right here."

"He drives the Poles back into the ocean. He is in his element - fighting for a cause greater than him. This is what he is made for."

"But the country he has left behind balks against his rule. Reinforcements slow. Farms and villages are depopulated or held by rebels. The Lawspeaker finds himself, impossibly, outnumbered two to one by the Poles. And, as he is a simple man, who thinks like a soldier, he despairs. He believes this is the end."

"The fool.

"His Legion was common cause to no one but itself and he threw it into a war he could not win alone. He mistook military prowess for real power. But fortunately for him, he left the business of government to me - a man who knows where power really comes from.

"In this case, money.

"A crude word for a man of God to say, but true nevertheless. Even though the army of Denmark was diminished to nothing through the great nation's treasury I was able to conjure another army from nothing. Traitors, criminals, cut-throats and brigands - quite the opposite to the noble Legion dear Olef foresaw."

"Winning a war is no longer about martial valour or prowess. It's certainly not about honour. It's about administration. Managing the daily affairs of State so that obedience comes when asked. Dealing with traitors and heretics. The fact that the nation stands together is of far more value than what it stands for."

"Witness."

"Believe."

"Understand."

"It was not the Legion that conquered Poland. It was a river of gold and treachery. This is real power. This is how the modern age functions."

"The power of the coin won the war but the power of the book will win the next one. The Scottish seek alliance for no other reason than we follow the same faith. Strategically, their move is a terrible blunder. They possess only a single, broken threat to their power while we are surrounded by dozens. They thrust their hands into the jaws of the wolves to snatch at a crucifix and more fool they if they are bitten."

"As I say.

"The Muslims are a curious people. They once held the entire world in the palms of their hands, absolute power for as far as mortal minds could image. And then they shattered it in the greatest mistake in the world's history. If the Qadarid Sultanate was whole and faced us in this moment of weakness and exhaustion we would be drowned under the united tides of Asia and Africa."

"But, for this tiny splinter? So far from home? We can defeat them with money we do not even possess."

"See how the Scottish hurl themselves against the mountains and fortresses of Anatolia, half a world away from their safe and secure island, for no other reason than I carry this little black book."

"See how this army of French and German mercenaries, mortal enemies to that little black book, trek through the blasted wasteland of the Russian winter, for no other reason than I carry this little bag of gold."

"The world has changed. The age of kings is over, the Republic has that right, but what it has not yet grasped is that the age of chivalry is over as well. There are no more limits on the methods we can use."

"Victory can be purchased with many different coins."

"Olef died in Russia, frozen and diseased, leading an army of criminals and Poles. This was not the Republic he imagined. His replacement is a more cautious and easily lead man, elected by the same college of greybeards. Another tame general who pretends at kingship.

"He does not understand where real power lies."

Over the past fifteen years the Catholic Inquisitor, Jorgen Skram has come to dominate the Danish government, operating primarily from the Office of Religious Advancement, a division of the Light of the North. He is a ruthless man who burned his predecessor at the stake for heresy and he has been focusing on undermining the Dictator and strengthening himself.

He is prepared to negotiate with the Senate in exchange for their support. He suggests that if the Senate of Denmark passes further legislation increasing his control he will use his influence to amend the Constitution in ways that benefit the Senate. He has prepared the following proposals:

CONQUEST OF NORWAY: Yes/No

"Norway is a worthless rump state. It can barely muster a quarter of our forces and has no alliances to speak of. Even drained as we are it should be trivial to bring the Norwegians to heel, which will expand our territory far more effectively than another incursion into Poland."

DEFENDER OF THE FAITH: Yes/No

"By declaring Denmark to be the Light of the North, the Defender of Catholicism and the Sword of the Pope we will create a cause of common unity for all our people. Far more effective than the clumsy attempts of the Legion to establish religious unity, we will establish once and for all that Denmark is a pious nation to be respected by all the earth's lesser people. Happily, this also permanently establishes the power of the Church and my personal office - and once my power is secure I will be happy to weaken the Dictator's position on your behalf."

REBELS: Iron Fist/Velvet Glove

"Denmark is beset by all manner of rebels and minorities gnawing at the heels of their betters. They can be dealt with through physical force, of course, or through the creation of a more stable and peaceful society. Making concessions to the malcontents weakens our position and makes it harder to remove inconvenient figures but it also removes the Legion's ability to operate as law-enforcement. You may find that a desirable trade."

Thanqol fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 3, 2014

Thanqol
Feb 15, 2012

New Ordinance Regarding Rap Battles:

Anyone who wishes to engage in a rap battle shall announce their candidacy, and a list shall be drawn. Every update, two names shall be selected from the list and those parties shall duke it out in the time honoured tradition. The winner shall be awarded with a golden coin, the loser shall face the jeering and hooting of the common folk.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
Excellent update.

Anyway! Any trade--any trade is worth it to break the Legion's stranglehold on our Republic. Let us therefore endorse the Velvet Glove.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

Dania Fidei Defenstrix sit!

Jesenjin
Nov 12, 2011
I am in favor of Conquest of Norway. We need to bring back our ancient lands into our grasp. Not to mention extra men and taxes it would bring. Heck, I have both Polish and Norwegian servants, but Norwegian are less lazy and I need to lash them less before they start working properly. Surely this proves that Norwegians are more worthy than filthy Slavs!!!

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Well that was unexpected. So much for our mighty Legion, I suppose. And our late Lawspeaker.

It would appear my brash warmongering has amounted to little. I therefore throw my support behind the Velvet Glove approach. It would seem that in this new era, brute force alone will not get us what we want.

Rubix Squid
Apr 17, 2014
I voice my support for the Velvet Glove.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I kind of like this Skram fellow, I'm not sure why. Let him have his Defender of the Faith proclamation.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Apr 19, 2014

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Scram is right about one thing. In this new era, administration is key, and a velvet glove is needed.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Defender of the Faith we are, truly. Let us serve as the mighty shield for the Catholic church!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

I said before that we needed to untie Scandinavia before pushing outward. Invade Norway.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
An interesting proposal, esteemed Inquisitor. Very well, I accept your bargain. Invade Norway.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
500 gold is a LOT of money at this stage, and it gives us -5% to tech cost. Sure, the morale and prestige bonuses are great, but we're going into a period of peace right now.
Then again it would be nice for it to be almost guaranteed we'll fight to defend Scotland, Iceland and Sicily (we best seize Iceland at the same time as Norway so we avoid having to defend it against Scotland), though that's something we can do any time we're not burdened with our own wars if we don't get it.
Hmmm, I guess it's not a bad idea, but the lawmaker is already weakened and this office growing quite powerful, we might want to at least vote for Iron Fist to ensure we don't go overboard. Still, we must vote what is best, not what is in our interest.

Does anyone have a list of provinces we're still missing from the civil war?
Irregardless of whether it is a lost province we'll probably want to seize Lubeck at some point if there's a good opportunity and the Emperor is a weak nation.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 19, 2014

Lynneth
Sep 13, 2011

Take Norway.
It is the first stepping stone towards a powerful navy and domination of local trade centres. I'm sort of disappointed that the late Lawspeaker was so overconfident, but in the end it might've benefited the senate considerably.
And if Norway is taken, we may be able to expand our Trade into Iceland, from where it will surely be just a stone's throw to the faraway place Aztlan hails from. Just think of the resources we might find there.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle

No to Defender of the Faith. This is an absurd amount of money better used for later infrastructure investments rather than gaining battlefield advantages against the weak enemies we'll likely be fighting for the next few decades.
We can simply watch the other Catholic Kingdoms for whether they need help or not, while still retaining the ability to choose.

The inquisitor seeks power, without concern for how it will impact Denmark in the long run, as long as it gains him more power in his life. Better to gradually weaken the military through such means as Velvet Glove.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 20, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Skram represents everything we must fear from this state of affairs. A man who desires power that he tries to play everyone else off each other! His game too we must refuse to play. We need to make it clear that we well not be tied to the strings of whichever puppetmaster puts their ugly hands on the reins of this country!

I refuse to legitimise this process, you can have my silver coin back!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
No to Invade Norway. As we have seen, even seemingly simple wars have become complex in this new age and our domestic situation must be handled before we pursue any military adventurism. And as I have said before, Norway would be much easier and less costly to seize by diplomatic means than the crude mathematics of sword and shield.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

YF-23 posted:

Skram represents everything we must fear from this state of affairs. A man who desires power that he tries to play everyone else off each other! His game too we must refuse to play. We need to make it clear that we well not be tied to the strings of whichever puppetmaster puts their ugly hands on the reins of this country!

I refuse to legitimise this process, you can have my silver coin back!

I second this. I'm faithful to my lawspeaker. I am reporting this to the lawspeaker right now!

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
I, uh... guys, that'll strengthen the lawmaker a bit much. Sure we can't just y'know, Vote Down his Defender of the Faith, thus putting him in check, while simultaneously going with Velvet Glove?

We need to balance these people. If the inquisitor is kneecapped (presuming your action works) the new lawspeaker will be almost as strong as Olef (roughly as strong, but a bit weaker since he is more cautious), if he removed entirely the lawspeaker may well find himself more powerful than Olef was by gaining control of the Advancement office.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 19, 2014

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Readingaccount posted:

I, uh... guys, that'll strengthen the lawmaker a bit much. Sure we can't just y'know, Vote Down his Defender of the Faith, thus putting him in check, while simultaneously going with Velvet Glove?

We need to balance these people. If the inquisitor is kneecapped (presuming your action works) the new lawspeaker will be almost as strong as Olef (roughly as strong, but a bit weaker since he is more cautious), if he removed entirely the lawspeaker may well find himself more powerful than Olef was by gaining control of the Advancement office.

We cannot balance anything while the game is rigged. Favour the lawspeaker and you're the lawspeaker's tool. Favour any random courtier that decides he's smart enough to pull the strings and you're their tool.

Realise this: the senate was created by Authority, to serve the purposes of Authority. It is, fundamentally, a tool of Authority and not an actor. That is its nature, that is its purpose, and no matter how much Authority might pretend to give it power it will never alter its fundamental nature. If we are to change this the only way to do so is to deny Authority its tool altogether. It the only way we can break the bondage that makes us Authority's slaves and puppets.

AdventFalls
Oct 17, 2012

When do we learn head explosions?
NO to Defender of the Faith. What is to stop our Inquisitor from becoming a new dictator? Replacing the army with book-burning priests? No!

Muskatnuss
Mar 17, 2013
Yes to Invasion of Norway

ManicMarine
Oct 9, 2012

No to Defender of the Faith

I will not kill a Dictator to put a Priest in his place. The balance of power between the Two Estates must be maintained. I will not allow Denmark to become the playground of corruption.

ManicMarine fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Apr 20, 2014

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Invade Norway

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Yes to Conquer Norway. We must unite the Catholic world, and their worthless state would be far better off under us anyway.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Velvet glove

I also advise to everyone else in the Senate to vote Defender of the Faith, and to invade Norway. Crash and burn, crash and burn.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I Vote No on any and all accounts. I refuse to be the rubber stamp for the tinpot dictator du jour. Denmark Scandinavia must be guided by the collective will of the people, which as of yet the Senate is the best representative. I urge my fellow senators to oppose any proposed motions until the Senate has the power to guide legislation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Let there be a velvet revolution! How could we say we represent our populace if we fail to defend them from our tyrants?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Jesus Christ, why are you all shoving coins into this gambit to invade Norway? All that will do is give us another ethnic group to handle when they can easily controlled through our foreign policy.

As much as I would like us to take the title Defender of the Faith, I don't think we are financially stable enough to do so. We ought to wait.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 19, 2014

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
I shall apply for the rap battle waiting list

I also vote yes on velvet glove approach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Invade Norway.

• Locked thread