Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Where a lot of mmo developers make their games so they could run on toasters, this one is pretty much being done to absolutely destroy your rig if you really want to

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_gznSpDAg

God drat this looks better than modded skyrim with more vegetation and better textures.

They're using a lot of 2D lods for trees in the distance, it might run on more systems than you would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Eh, I'm certain it will run well on a lot of computers because asian mmos in general tend to scale a whole lot better than western ones but as presented right there, the amount ground clutter and shadows alone would absolutely destroy most mid range computers.

zukoo
Feb 4, 2014
update offline server,seems not bad tho only can explor map and create game girls
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1z2s0uloCE
its like total around 20G ...download adress
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BnWht9EeyI

zukoo fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 25, 2014

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Holy poo poo, the Sorcerer looks like everything I've ever wanted in a mage class. A super mobile melee mage? Yes, please. I will play that forever.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Still looking forward to this game. I hope it comes out here in the West.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Harrow posted:

Holy poo poo, the Sorcerer looks like everything I've ever wanted in a mage class. A super mobile melee mage? Yes, please. I will play that forever.
Is he throwing telekinetic punches/pulls and teleporting around? Magic monk?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Jackard posted:

Is he throwing telekinetic punches/pulls and teleporting around? Magic monk?

The correct name is Punch Witch.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

:drat: The only time I've seen something like that is in singleplayer games like Soul Reaver or Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The most bullshit part of their lady/dude class split is that the ladies have all the cool and interesting looking classes, and the dudes have absolutely nothing of value.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Xavier434 posted:

Still looking forward to this game. I hope it comes out here in the West.

I recall them saying a couple weeks ago that they are finalizing the deal to have an american distributor or whatever it's called for MMOs, so we should be getting it here.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I recall them saying a couple weeks ago that they are finalizing the deal to have an american distributor or whatever it's called for MMOs, so we should be getting it here.

Ah! Nice.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Actually, I just went to their site and they have a new story as of yesterday:

Pearl Abyss posted:

Good news for all Western Black Desert Fans. Daum, the Korean Publisher of Black Desert will expand to the Western Market and open a new Office in the West. Pearl Abyss also announced the Date for the 3rd Closed Beta, which is scheduled for late August/early September. More information are coming soon.
We have the official confirmation that it’s true.

http://black-desert.com/news/western-publisher-and-cb3-announced/

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A Korean mmo with action combat and a character generator which will not make me hate my toon forever ?

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I wonder if CBT 3 will be region locked again.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Interestingly enough they've talked about developing an English version, well, *now*. So this might actually be a solid Korean mmo we aren't waiting two to three years to see for the first time. That should be a laugh.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
Just checked the subreddit and apparently it got a publisher. Not familiar with them or their business practices but I'm weary. I really doubt they'd poo poo on this game in the Western market though given how interested we are.

http://2p.com/7889547_1/Black-Desert-NA-amp-EU-Publisher-Is-Daum-Communications-by-Nichole.htm

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this released before ArcheAge.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Sound alot more promising than the 2-3 years I've been waiting for ArcheAge :woop:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

If this Korean game makes you excited then you have learned nothing from the MMO HMO.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Alexander DeLarge posted:

Just checked the subreddit and apparently it got a publisher. Not familiar with them or their business practices but I'm weary. I really doubt they'd poo poo on this game in the Western market though given how interested we are.

http://2p.com/7889547_1/Black-Desert-NA-amp-EU-Publisher-Is-Daum-Communications-by-Nichole.htm

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this released before ArcheAge.

Look up like three posts to see a link to the official post.

Jackard posted:

If this Korean game makes you excited then you have learned nothing from the MMO HMO.

Do you also refuse to get excited about any games coming from America since there have been so many terrible ones created there?

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Jackard posted:

True. This section should be called The forum of broken dreams. Yet again I will pay a stupid amount of money to get into the early access of a game, always in the hope that this time it will be the "one".

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Do you also refuse to get excited about any games coming from America since there have been so many terrible ones created there?
On a scale from one to eleven how pumped are you for the latest Madden

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Look up like three posts to see a link to the official post.

Apologies, seems I was on the wrong page. Seriously though, I think this will be the first or second major sandbox game to come out early next year.

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Hammerstein posted:

True. This section should be called The forum of broken dreams. Yet again I will pay a stupid amount of money to get into the early access of a game, always in the hope that this time it will be the "one".

ArcheAge is really good though? First Korean MMO where I didn't quit after a few hours and actually played the whole early access period. Black Desert can be even better.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Jackard posted:

On a scale from one to eleven how pumped are you for the latest Madden

On a scale of one to eleven how desperate are you to defend your pointless and tired :iceburn: on Korea? Perhaps next you'll regale us with tales of how asians cannot drive?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TheSpookyDanger posted:

Actually, I just went to their site and they have a new story as of yesterday:

http://black-desert.com/news/western-publisher-and-cb3-announced/

If they are opening up an office in the U.S. then that sounds like the english release is still a couple years away though. :/

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
The developer is working on an English version themselves, and Daum is a pretty big company. Daum could "set up an office" in about nine seconds if it wanted to.

e: I don't know if you know what Naver is in Korea, if you don't I'll just say think of them as Korean Google and you'll be in the right ballpark, but Daum is about to close a merger that would make them a serious rival to Naver in Korea. They are a big company.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 27, 2014

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

Boogaleeboo posted:

The developer is working on an English version themselves.

They probably saw that 20K people just paid $150 to play an english alpha of a F2P korean MMORPG and wet their pants.

zukoo
Feb 4, 2014

Xavier434 posted:

I wonder if CBT 3 will be region locked again.

suppose to be not korea-only

Rad Russian posted:

They probably saw that 20K people just paid $150 to play an english alpha of a F2P korean MMORPG and wet their pants.

oh Arche Age,our publisher Tencent is a bit earlier than Trion ,they run 3 test already.and the game is floping fast.It's just not that Sandbox,sure definitely not a 3rd generation game.

Baiku
Oct 25, 2011

zukoo posted:

the game is floping fast.It's just not that Sandbox,sure definitely not a 3rd generation game.

You are referring to Black Desert right?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

TheSpookyDanger posted:

On a scale of one to eleven how desperate are you to defend your pointless and tired :iceburn: on Korea? Perhaps next you'll regale us with tales of how asians cannot drive?

I don't think it's really racism as much as it is that games produced by foreign countries with VERY different notions of entertainment are more likely to be considered lovely outside of said country. Plus, every modern game (especially MMO's) promise the moon, the stars, and for pluto to be a planet again. I can't say for sure how Black Desert will turn out, but hype trains usually end up with a large portion of the passengers upset that it wasn't quite the roller coaster that the marketing department told them it was.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I said come in! posted:

If they are opening up an office in the U.S. then that sounds like the english release is still a couple years away though. :/

Like Boogaleeboo said, they've been working on an English translation in house, so hopefully we won't have to wait too long. It might end up being a hilariously bad translation though...

lewtt posted:

I don't think it's really racism as much as it is that games produced by foreign countries with VERY different notions of entertainment are more likely to be considered lovely outside of said country.

"Country makes bad games" is a loving asinine, utterly useless statement. I'm American and plenty of American companies make bad games that I hate, while plenty of non-American companies have made games I enjoy. It's almost like the physical locality that a company resides in is a bad way to measure the value in a game.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

TheSpookyDanger posted:

"Country makes bad games" is a loving asinine, utterly useless statement. I'm American and plenty of American companies make bad games that I hate, while plenty of non-American companies have made games I enjoy. It's almost like the physical locality that a company resides in is a bad way to measure the value in a game.

I agree with the whole overgeneralization and the innaccuracy of the "THESE GAMES ARE OBJECTIVELY BAD" outlook people seem to spout out, but I can see why people jump to that with the whole korean mmo thing. Eastern MMOs made for eastern audiences are famously grindy and RNG based (Lineage 2). Western MMOs made for western audiences have become increasingly themeparky with lower effort required (WoW and the infinite WoWClones). When you toss those games to a market they were not designed for, you're more likely going to get some polarizing results that aren't in your favor than to just design a game for that market in the first place. Localization teams often have to rework a lot of numbers to make it more acceptable to other audiences (Aion/Vindictus/Archeage off the top of my head).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pKJkMWyioo
This game looks gorgeous, but that screen shake and blur on attacks looks kind of silly. Also backflips for no reason.

Damone
May 3, 2009
I'm trying really hard to get somewhat excited about this... But B&S really burned me on expecting releases.

Still, I'm definitely keeping my eye on this game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

B&S is special because NCSoft is the publisher and they are horrible.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
Also there is a solid chance you'll be able to play the game in 3 to 5 months.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

For measuring value, yes. However, if you really think developing for a completely different market doesn't affect the end product, especially after decades of being shown again and again that asian developers make games with rng and grind because that's how their market likes their games then I don't know what to tell you. It'd be like saying "american movies have lot of explosions" or "british humor is dry". Asian games are grindy. It's just what they are, and it's obvious that at least some people in the west like it too.

I'm gonna either wait and see what the monetization model is, but I like the asthetic. I don't know if I'm sold on action combat because I've been burned on that more than once.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Bauxite posted:

For measuring value, yes. However, if you really think developing for a completely different market doesn't affect the end product, especially after decades of being shown again and again that asian developers make games with rng and grind because that's how their market likes their games then I don't know what to tell you. It'd be like saying "american movies have lot of explosions" or "british humor is dry". Asian games are grindy. It's just what they are, and it's obvious that at least some people in the west like it too.

I'm gonna either wait and see what the monetization model is, but I like the asthetic. I don't know if I'm sold on action combat because I've been burned on that more than once.

That would be a useful point if only it wasn't responding to something I never said.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

If there is one thing that I have noticed about MMOs which originated in the East and launched in the West it is that over the past 10 years they have been improving upon how well they redesign their games to be more appealing to Western audiences. Many of them are a lot less grindy than they used to be and much of what grind is left is often more fun than it used to be too thanks to improved game mechanics and dozens of other reasons.

For some people, it will never be enough because they really enjoy Western style MMOs a lot but for those players who are happy with something between Western and Eastern design we are getting more games from the East which are good times and usually F2P so you don't have to drop cash to find out whether or not you like it.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

TheSpookyDanger posted:

That would be a useful point if only it wasn't responding to something I never said.

Next time I'll be sure to quote every single person involved in the conversation so you don't feel like I'm talking directly to you instead of posting in an open conversation with multiple people on the internet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

I'm honestly pretty interested in this game, so I do hope it doesn't turn out to be a grindfest.

• Locked thread