Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

TheSpookyDanger posted:

I'm honestly pretty interested in this game, so I do hope it doesn't turn out to be a grindfest.

Apparently it is a grind fest if you want to level the fastest but that might change given that at one point people were all playing the game like the loving oregon trail to level the fastest.

http://steparu.com/reviews/mmorpg/1623-black-desert-online-final-test-review

The last internal test review from Step. He seems exited by the game is thinking of maining it once it comes out. He mentions that this game will most likely be very PvP centric. There weren't any instance content at end game and he doesn't think they'll add any unless they've been hiding them for the open beta on the other land masses they haven't open yet on the closed one.

e-Also be prepared to be heavily punished for griefing. Also pay for the crimes of your guild mates as well since if your guild accumulates negative karma you'll also start dropping gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
To me, the news that they'll open their own studio in the US for localization is potentially bad. Maybe the idea that Korean MMO's = grind is a bad over-generalization, and one that is not magically ameliorated by having a distinct and separate Western company do the localization. But from what I've seen in a few other games is that the original dev team wants to hold as true to their vision as possible, while the foreign team wants to change it to fit that particular market- and the two are basically in a kind of power struggle over this. Something that tips the scale of that struggle towards to home team is a thing that could be a pretty big negative. Even a game like EVE, with its Icelandic origin, was rife with stories about the foreign (American) studios getting poo poo on despite the work they put out. Not an equal comparison, I know. That Daum is going to be opening their own thing in NA is worrisome and it isn't some ~~iceburn~~ against Koreans to say so, and "Americans make bad games too" isn't relevant.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

e-Also be prepared to be heavily punished for griefing. Also pay for the crimes of your guild mates as well since if your guild accumulates negative karma you'll also start dropping gear.

RIP single goon guild before it even started

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Apparently it is a grind fest if you want to level the fastest but that might change given that at one point people were all playing the game like the loving oregon trail to level the fastest.

http://steparu.com/reviews/mmorpg/1623-black-desert-online-final-test-review

The last internal test review from Step. He seems exited by the game is thinking of maining it once it comes out. He mentions that this game will most likely be very PvP centric. There weren't any instance content at end game and he doesn't think they'll add any unless they've been hiding them for the open beta on the other land masses they haven't open yet on the closed one.

I'm perfectly fine with the game having a solid PvP system, but if they expect this thing to succeed in the West then they are going to have to throw PvE players a larger bone. I also don't see gear loss as a result of death or "karma" being something that will be received well at all either. I realize that some people like this sort of thing and there is nothing wrong with that but I doubt that there are enough to make the game fiscally viable. I hope they change some of this for the Western release.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Oct 2, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

If its a hit in korea then they could not give a gently caress about altering the thing in the states and just target a niche that isn't being filled actively. Like most korean games, the heavy lifting is done on their market and everything else is bonus.

Spending money to have two distinct version of the clients is just not worth it for a lot of companies, specially when the gains aren't enough to justify it. Which is what happened with TERA in the states and their changes were pretty minor (hehe).

Its not like B&S in china were the game probably wouldn't have been green lighted without altering just about every female outfit in the game or having to add a stamina system as mandated by their laws. And was also making NCsoft a gently caress ton of money in royalties.

e-Reminder EVE has zero pve content of note and has 100% lootdrop on death. This has a chance to drop loot on death only if you happen to have negative karma from illegally murdering other people. The higher the karma, the higher the chance to drop equipped gear. But it has to be veeery high, chances are you'll drop potions or something else in your inventory before you actually dropped something equipped.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 2, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

You may be correct, but that just strikes me as weird from a business sense. Most businesses would prefer a larger international market share. Rumor has it that this game is also being ported over to consoles which means popularity outside of Korea is probably very important to Pearl Abyss. Otherwise, why spend all of that money on a console port? Certainly that is more expensive than maintaining two versions of the game with minor differences and if you plan ahead for it then writing the code so that it is easy to maintain in that way is a lot more realistic. There is also the option of just getting rid of the gear drop penalties entirely. It's not like Korea stays away from MMOs without that sort of thing.

Remember that TERA's changes were an afterthought which probably made maintaining two versions of the game much harder and more expensive than it would have been if they planned ahead for it.

Xavier434 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 2, 2014

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

They are in the "would this be feasible?" stage of console development. That is weighing whether or not is worth it to actually port it to consoles. No development has started, according to their own developers. They'll do the same research to see if its worth making design changes in the US client too. Doesn't mean they'll actually do them.

Either way, you are looking at the item drop issue from a normal MMO perspective. "gently caress gently caress gently caress I spent 2 weeks farming for this sword and only got it after I won the roll from 3 other fucktards in that raid and just dropped it" and not from this games "Welp it was rented/crafted, not too much of a loss"

Xavier434 posted:

Remember that TERA's changes were an afterthought which probably made maintaining two versions of the game much harder and more expensive than it would have been if they planned ahead for it.
I remember it being discussed quite a bit before launch and it only was dropped when the lack of subs started making it unfeasible to keep development on the separate client. It was literally just hiding the skin from Elins outfits. I dont see how planning ahead would have made it cheaper.

Any changes to the pvp mechanics would be much larger in scale than that.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Oct 2, 2014

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

If you want an interesting PvP sandbox game you need a working economy. For a working economy you need ressources with varying rarities and distributions. For ressources to be there also needs to be a steady consumption of those ressources which provide a tangible gameplay benefit. Only this way it is worth to control territories. Only if there is something to fight over, there will be a interesting player PvP interactions.

Eve online did it right. If Black Desert wants to do it right the best equipment has to be crafted and be destroyed over time or over usage or maybe on death.

Well, something like Planetside 2 can also work. But Eve leads to more interesting stuff happening.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Either way, you are looking at the item drop issue from a normal MMO perspective. "gently caress gently caress gently caress I spent 2 weeks farming for this sword and only got it after I won the roll from 3 other fucktards in that raid and just dropped it" and not from this games "Welp it was rented/crafted, not too much of a loss"

You may be right. I am reserving judgment. I still question how well it will be received though compared to just removing the penalty entirely or at least for Western players.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

I remember it being discussed quite a bit before launch and it only was dropped when the lack of subs started making it unfeasible to keep development on the separate client. It was literally just hiding the skin from Elins outfits. I dont see how planning ahead would have made it cheaper.

The big change for TERA was reducing the grind imo. Especially when it comes to enchanting. They removed the penalty for failed enchantments.

Planning ahead when designing code always saves lots of money especially when the goal is to allow changes to happen more often with more flexibility post launch. That's just one of the golden rules in development. Otherwise what you end up with is either a series of band aids which constantly need repair or a proper overhaul to add in what should have been created in the first place, but that process is always harder because you end up breaking more stuff along the way as you try to get it right.

Anyways, I am still looking forward to this game. I do hope they have more PvE content in store. That's a bigger deal than the gear penalty as it currently exists.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

For ressources to be there also needs to be a steady consumption of those ressources which provide a tangible gameplay benefit. Only this way it is worth to control territories. Only if there is something to fight over, there will be a interesting player PvP interactions.

I agree with this except for maybe the "tangible" part. I am assuming that you are referring to gear/items that provide an advantage in game play. It does not need to be tangible. It only needs to be desirable. Anyways, BD is probably not thinking like that and instead they are doing something closer to what you are describing. I can live with that as long as it is still fun for casual players who don't have the time to poop sock.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Just make it so that effort and cost are related logarithmically to power. Basically like playing for say 5 hours gives you gear that is 80% as powerful as the theoretically best gear. For 90% make the cost and time needed 50 times higher. Then for 95% make it 500 hours. etc.

Since people hate gear being destroyed a psychological trick can be employed similar to rested XP in WoW. Rested XP was originally a penalty to XP earned when you've played for too long. Changing it into a bonus to earning XP while you take a break made people love the mechanic.

This can be done by changing repair costs into boosts aquired by consuming crafted items. So your basic endgame gear can be charged to level 1 by consuming basic crafted consumables. Higher tier gear then can be charged to level 1 with the same basic consumables but also to level 2 with consumables crafted from more rare items. etc. Charge levels are then consumed by usage = incoming or outgoing damage.

Finally you can make prestige versions of those consumables as well as gear which cost 10 or 100 times more ressources, which provide purely cosmetic benefits like glow effects and better designs and poo poo.

The important thing is that at the end of the day a player in basic gear still has a considerable chance to beat a fully geared player. Something like 30:70 or so.

Lucy Heartfilia fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 2, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Yeah, that could go over better especially if the numbers were tweaked but the core concept remains the same. 80% may be too low, but otherwise those are good ideas.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

A gear degradation system already exists, it lowers the maximum endurance of the piece till it becomes essentially useless. Then you have to sacrifice the same type of gear to replenish it to full capacity. Gear only degrades like this when you try and fail to upgrade it. You can lose gear upgrades if you die. So in a sense it can lead to a less stagnant economy without being it "lose everything you have on upon death"

I think its a nice middle ground between full loss and no loss, specially when it comes to things like GvG. Where in other games constant respawning and throwing yourself to the meatgrinder doesn't have repercussions. But you can do it if you want and chance the risk, not like other games where if you lose everything and cant get in unless you already have spare ships/suits.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Hmm, that sounds good. And is there also something like territories to fight over? Or is it more freeform like just killing people who want to harvest ressources in an area?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

There is, its basically WoE in RO except your guild creates a HQ that you have to protect while you invade the territory. If the HQ dies you cannot claim the territory. GvG wars only happen at certain times of the day. Also your guild accumulates negative karma if its members engage in off GvG hours kills. So being the marauding band of fuckheads we usually are would have pretty detrimental effects during GvG.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Sounds very good to me. I hope it won't be as disappointing as ArcheAge. And there will be plenty of griefing potential. After all just being better at a game is griefing to many players.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I heard this game will be called Black Pudding in the UK

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Looks way the gently caress better than Archeage, so that has me interested. Hopefully if this has a goon presence we can keep the huge shitlords out as far as running the guild.

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster
This game suffers from the same problem as Archeage though, it's made in Korea. This causes big problems for a Western audience.

And if Black Desert is released in the West by a seperate publisher, we're going to have another situation where the game can't be modified/patched based on the feedback from the NA/EU players.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The korean publishers are going to handle the western release sort of what bluehole did with TERA.

The only issue is that its still korean. The aesthetics seem to be way more western than most korean MMOs and it being pvp oriented with penalties on death makes me think that they aren't going to go balls out korean grindfest.

vvvv
They always say they do. But I dont think its ever been the case. Like I've been hearing it since Aion and its never panned out.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 8, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Don't they usually degrind-ify Korean MMOs for Western releases normally?

kondurian
Sep 20, 2014

Eonwe posted:

Pretty sure ArcheAge is the same, just with names of items and classes changed in translation.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Eonwe posted:

They do. It makes some grindy aspects of games tolerable but they don't ever take it far enough.

I thought that TERA's enchanting system changes were a good example of what I mean.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

Eonwe posted:

They do. Therein lies the hope and the tragedy. Like, maybe one day they will get the formula right.
But sometimes I feel like simply reducing the amount of socks to poop in can never suddenly make it a rich and varied system to fill socks. If a dev ever makes a thing and the content is you running it over and over for days/weeks/months/etc, then... I dunno. Compare it to recent release Archeage and there's some kind of supergrind for getting your super "salsa" weapons or whatever. So while the dedicated poopsocker could get their BiS item in a month or two, a simple grind length reduction just made the entire exercise less lovely, instead of more fun.

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 9, 2014

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
At this point I'm not feeling Archeage as much. I'm thinking I'm going to be looking into this & Albion. I actually really like the art style in this game which is interesting because usually I find the art style of Korean MMOs to be pretty grating.

surfacelevelspeck
Oct 1, 2008

communism's sleepiest soldier

So how exactly does housing work in this? From what I've seen, it's either fully open world rentals of buildings, or instanced ownership so everyone can own every building. I have no idea which is the actual system, or how it works.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The main thing I'm interested in, is there any kind of timeline at all as far a release date? Just curious what the rumors are at this point.

kondurian
Sep 20, 2014

Eonwe posted:

The main thing I'm interested in, is there any kind of timeline at all as far a release date? Just curious what the rumors are at this point.

Rumor is US beta will be Q1 2015. Hopefully it goes quickly since they've gone through a lot of testing with the Korean version.

Anarkii
Dec 30, 2008
December release announced

NA beta still looks far off though

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Nice. I know it will still be a while until I get to try this game out for myself, but this news still makes me pretty excited.

Neith
Feb 16, 2013

This game looks decent.

Not sure about limited housing again.

Theres gender locks, and not much customization. I am not a fan of the WaR like characters where every sorc looks exactly like one another.

Im a fan of choices.

Either way, Im still diggin AA, so i have plenty of time

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Neith posted:

Theres gender locks, and not much customization. I am not a fan of the WaR like characters where every sorc looks exactly like one another.

Im a fan of choices.

Yes on the gender locks, but No on the lack of customization at least during character creation. The character creation system looks spectacular:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQw-8lzyOns

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
A lot of the female gear I have seen in videos actually looks good and finally moves away from the Korean panty&garter belt armor.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I'll be happy as long as their is a variety of different styles.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LAjIW6GtT4

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Hoping for no alpha buy in.

Also I can only pretend to hate KMMO's since they seem to be the only ones I'm interested in as of late.

Syndlig posted:

So how exactly does housing work in this? From what I've seen, it's either fully open world rentals of buildings, or instanced ownership so everyone can own every building. I have no idea which is the actual system, or how it works.

This guy goes in depth with housing, lot more on his channel.

Arcade fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 6, 2014

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

They put a lot of work into the hit detection of the combat system recently. Looking good.

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer
One thing I'm suddenly curious about -- does this game have a labor system like Archeage, or other artificial limit on crafting? It looks like crafting of the larger individual items takes a really long time, so I'm hoping there isn't also a pool of points that depletes as you harvest wheat or whatever.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Ground floor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Taran posted:

One thing I'm suddenly curious about -- does this game have a labor system like Archeage, or other artificial limit on crafting? It looks like crafting of the larger individual items takes a really long time, so I'm hoping there isn't also a pool of points that depletes as you harvest wheat or whatever.

It doesnt have a labor system but the gathering/crafting system is pretty complex.

http://black-desert.com/forums/inde...3320f567e270bf0

Has the best summery of all the elements.

• Locked thread