Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

gameplusmeagan posted:

After a forever hiatus we have returned triumphant and the game rewards us with the WORST THING EVER. EVER.

Remember what I said about not eating during this one, okay?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Of4tVCcigw
Well, I can't say I haven't been warned...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I will say that poo poo suddenly got distressingly real. I mean, wow.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I play games and sometimes the things I say are of a humorous variety.
We are back and this time you won't throw up in your mouths! Hopefully.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWRDtUx1q_U

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It is kind of adorable for Watson to be walking through the city at night all "I can see you, Holmes"!

Also drat this guy is skilled, to make so many cuts in the space of seven minutes.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I found this yesterday and binged my way through it today. You guys are pretty good! I'll admit, I've ended up using the videos more as background sound while I play games, but that's mostly because the game seems to be rather bad and it's your commentary that's the interesting part.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Shoeless posted:

I found this yesterday and binged my way through it today. You guys are pretty good! I'll admit, I've ended up using the videos more as background sound while I play games, but that's mostly because the game seems to be rather bad and it's your commentary that's the interesting part.

Hey thank you, we appreciate that! We hope to someday play a good Sherlock game, but that may be reaching for the stars...

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

Hey thank you, we appreciate that! We hope to someday play a good Sherlock game, but that may be reaching for the stars...

Well, people have mentioned one or two of the better ones earlier in the thread, right? Could give them a try. I know one of them isn't out yet but I thought there were another couple...

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I'd still recommend Case of the Serrated Scalpel. It's not actually much of a game, mostly just running around looking for plot triggers, but you do spend your time on the actual investigation instead of assaulting scary prostitutes with cats.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

In this thrilling episode we investigate what happens to chalk when you pour water on it AND YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENS (actually you will totally believe it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i17M5blPLrA

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So, Sherlock Holmes doesn't own a watering can. Possibly because of a childhood incident involving Mycroft and a garden fair?

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
I did not eat at all within an hour before or after watching those videos, and I am glad.

Now we get to play dress-up. If it wasn't for the gory bits, I'd totally want to be Sherlock's assistant because we get to do all sorts of ridiculous things all day and claim we're brilliant detectives.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
drat, I had so much fun waiting for you to figure the green magnifying glass thing out. Why would anyone just tell you about it?! Effin spoilsport...

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

In our new episode: SHERLOCK AND WATSON PLAY DRESS-UP!11!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-x55HjUEOQ

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I liked the bit in the last video where Holmes is complaining about how folks think he's constantly running around in a deerstalker.

Glad that y'all are back with this.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, we're doing some serious detectoring now. Pencils and maps and poo poo.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

citybeatnik posted:

I liked the bit in the last video where Holmes is complaining about how folks think he's constantly running around in a deerstalker.

I'm sick of all the deerstalker backlash, honestly. All the modern Sherlocks have been rejecting that thing like it was overcooked carrots on the side of a dinner plate. Everyone's giving Sherlock all these aspergian traits as it is, so I think at least one of the new interpretations of him should just be like, really obsessed with deerstalkers. Wears one every day. Has a collection. Will talk for hours about superior thermal insulation properties and glare reduction. Argues about them on message boards. Goes hunting just to talk to other people about their hats.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

I have it on good authority that the deerstalker will make a comeback in a century or so. (also, weirdly shaggy sideburns).

This game should have had a robot Watson.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Kangra posted:

I have it on good authority that the deerstalker will make a comeback in a century or so. (also, weirdly shaggy sideburns).

This game should have had a robot Watson.

Oh my god so I'm not the only one that watched that?

Edit: Also, watching through these again to actually pay attention, vis a vis you guys discussing Solomononomonoguy using the term demon, I would point out that you don't really have to believe in hell to believe in malicious or horrific spirits, or to use such a word to apply to a particularly monstrous person. As well, given translations over time from both Judaism and Christianity and different languages, not to mention the game itself, it's entirely possible that 'demon' is the closest thing that fits the concept. :spergin:

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Aug 30, 2014

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Now that we're done playing dress-up, it's time to draw with crayons on maps!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xWxZLFegVg

Shoeless posted:

Edit: Also, watching through these again to actually pay attention, vis a vis you guys discussing Solomononomonoguy using the term demon, I would point out that you don't really have to believe in hell to believe in malicious or horrific spirits, or to use such a word to apply to a particularly monstrous person. As well, given translations over time from both Judaism and Christianity and different languages, not to mention the game itself, it's entirely possible that 'demon' is the closest thing that fits the concept. :spergin:

How interesting! I guess we just associate demons with some form of hell but I guess you're right, there are a lot of origins for such things. I was just proud I pulled "dybbuk" out of my rear end.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

We've been playing a marathon of Sherlock this weekend and I'm so excited for you guys to see what's coming up. Excited, is that the right word? Maybe like, horrified. And upset. Maybe those are better.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Just want to remind you all that the NEW Sherlock game, from these same developers, comes out in a few weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrRVCJfzlU8

Get hyped, possibly.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

corn in the bible posted:

Just want to remind you all that the NEW Sherlock game, from these same developers, comes out in a few weeks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrRVCJfzlU8

Get hyped, possibly.

Before you get all excited to LP this game, Meagan, you should be aware that SA has a very firm Not Until 3 Months After Release policy. I'm sure you can't wait to dive right back in to the world of Sherlock Holmes as interpreted by Spiders Studio, but you'll just have to contain yourself :colbert:

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Polaron posted:

Before you get all excited to LP this game, Meagan, you should be aware that SA has a very firm Not Until 3 Months After Release policy. I'm sure you can't wait to dive right back in to the world of Sherlock Holmes as interpreted by Spiders Studio, but you'll just have to contain yourself :colbert:

Haha, I'm super aware of the 3 months policy so we will probably hold off. Plus we're trying to pool some money to get a newer system and play it on that. Either way I can BARELY CONTAIN MY EXCITEMEEEEEEENT

Actually the new game does look pretty fuckin cool. Plus I've heard they took tips from the Walking Dead game which is one of my favorites these days.

New episode coming in an hour or so!

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

As promised, new episode... watch your ears at the end; headphone users, I apologize in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojfZcAqjo8g

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at an LP as I just did at your "It looked like Michael Jackson! :gonk:"

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

Polaron posted:

I don't think I've ever laughed as hard at an LP as I just did at your "It looked like Michael Jackson! :gonk:"

That is some high praise indeed, friend. Thank you!

Also, we finished the game yesterday, and the very same day they released the true identity of Jack The Ripper... Coincidence?! Probably.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/jack-ripper-murder-mystery-solved-4177665

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
I thought they already "solved" the murder by DNA-testing the saliva on the Letter From Hell? :confused:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

gameplusmeagan posted:

As promised, new episode... watch your ears at the end; headphone users, I apologize in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojfZcAqjo8g

Wait, why are we doing all this sneakysneak to get the police dispatches? The guy gave us permission to look at them! And wow, that face really does look like Michael Jackson.

I will say that it would seem that that one lady who was face-mutilated does sound like someone attempting to recreate the image of one effected by the Pox, but what then of the uteri? How does that all fit in? Is there going to be 2 people in this, Tumblty and this other guy? Or does Tumblty also have experience with the Pox? Given that he was apparently a doctor or surgeon, I forget which, in the American Civil War, it doesn't seem too far fetched to me that he would have experience with it. I'm just loathe to think that it's Hardiman. Though what the doctor said about the disease going from a prostitute to a man then from he to his wife and then from her to the child... well, we do know that apparently he ah... rode the Big Whirly at least once after they'd died. Well, Danni said he came to her for comfort in his grief. So it's possible he'd seen prostitutes before that. I'm just saying, I don't think he's a pedophile. Only a person who committed infidelity. An infidel, you might say.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Another way that infants would catch the pox was through wet-nurses, I believe.

But then, I don't think that this game goes that deep. And that loving picture at the end was horrifying.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

Another way that infants would catch the pox was through wet-nurses, I believe.

But then, I don't think that this game goes that deep. And that loving picture at the end was horrifying.

True. And STDs can be contracted from any bodily fluid exchanges, not just sexual congress. Get a cut, some of the virus/bacteria (I forget which one syphilis is) gets into it, bam. All the disease with none of the sex!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I can respect this game's treatment of the subject manner it's delving into. It doesn't seem to be playing these things deliberately for shock value, they're just shocking to players.

This does nothing to prevent me from being thoroughly skeeved out, of course.

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

I don't say this lightly: this may be my favorite episode yet. There's almost TOO much action. Come along for the ride, ladies and germs!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIfAq2FX6Ns

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Here, have something to help with that face that keeps popping up.

This should take your mind off of it.

Seriously, though, THE gently caress, GAME? Stop showing us that face! It reminds me of this:

gameplusmeagan
Apr 2, 2014

In our latest episode, Sherlock's fragile psyche finally snaps! Also, Watson barfs! It's a hoot and a half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rop7XMIwqGE

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Watson must have spent all his army doctorin time in Afghanistan holed up in his tent drinking. I can only wonder how he passed any of his anatomy classes.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Sherlock snapped and started making jokes. No wonder Watson went to throw up.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
I'm not sure if it was on purpose or not, but did you notice the papers on the desk were in the shape of a yellow six-pointed star? :tinfoil::godwinning:

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Okay I don't like to post before having finished a video but my god. I could not stop laughing once Sherlock got back from the crime and you two were so confused and just, my god I'm still chuckling every so often. Bravo! I don't know if this is mistranslation or intentional but this is amazing.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
Huh, the butcher sure came up a lot in this episode...
Butchery... Carved-up women...

Oh god, why do I get the feeling this game is just about to get even grosser? :gonk: I don't think human meat is even kosher...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

dijon du jour posted:

Huh, the butcher sure came up a lot in this episode...
Butchery... Carved-up women...

Oh god, why do I get the feeling this game is just about to get even grosser? :gonk: I don't think human meat is even kosher...

Yeah, but it's weird. So far all the killings I think have been mentioned that whoever did them had surgical precision, something that a skilled butcher might have. But at the same time, this latest killing is... well, sloppy to say the least. If the killer wanted the heart then he could have gotten it a lot more easily, without slicing open the entire chest cavity and legs and removing the stomach and intestines and other things. However given all this it's reasonable to conclude that our killer is not of sound mind, so that may account for it. But what is the connection, is my main wonder. If he's going for specific organs... okay. But then why make one woman look like she had syphilis and none of the others? Why did the first one have a ton of stabbings? While all these killings are certainly connected by their targets, it just seems that the methods of death are different in each, and that the manner of death isn't consistently getting more gruesome; the first death was via a ton of stab wounds, then we had one that was just, if I remember rightly, a slit throat, then I think the syphilis look-alike, and now this. I'm having trouble finding any pattern apart from the targets and that each apparently had an organ removed.

• Locked thread