Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja
I have a soft spot for these Sherlock games. I just love the way they want to tell a story, but fail to present it over and over again. I still think Ripper is better than The Awakened, in the sense that the engine they're using doesn't completely destroy your immersion at every possible turn. Teleporting Stalker Watson is far from the worst that the earlier games have to offer.

The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, the next in the series, is actually a decent adventure game. It doesn't look like an Unreal Tournament mod, and has a cleverly written plot that plays on your expectations. I wouldn't mind seeing you play through that one as well.

I'm really looking forward to Crimes and Punishments. With quality writing, it could be really fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

gameplusmeagan posted:

This episode kicks off with what must be the laziest fetch quest ever. I mean it. If there's a lazier fetch quest than this one, I quit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTxhgSpjaMo

Hmm, I don't remember too many pointless fetch quests after this one. There is one puzzle coming up that will make you GameFAQs. I don't want to spoil anything, you'll probably recognize it when you see it, I just wanted to save some time for you with an early warning.

It's a pretty bad game, but I hope you'll suffer through it. The game also isn't Skyrim, there's no magical arrow pointing to your next quest objective. It expects you to pay attention to all its random dialogue, newspaper clips and other bullshit, and then use those to figure out what to do next. I'm just saying that it'll be over sooner if you guys play by its rules, right?

Also, the part where you tried to assemble the jigsaw puzzle sideways was goddamn hilarious.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

anilEhilated posted:

wasted potential

You've nailed it.

However, I think that The Testament of Sherlock Holmes, the next game in the series, stands on its own. Crimes and Punishments is also in the works by these same guys, can't wait for it. They'll have to get it right sometime, no?

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

dijon du jour posted:

"Well of course this jar of hearts has two lids and both lids have combination locks and inside the jar is a magnet that you have to use to get a hook from under a pane of glass on a student's desk to retrieve a coded message from a hole in the very same desk. Where else is a doctor supposed to store his files: a locked cabinet? :rolleyes:"

Oh, these kinds of puzzles will be coming up in force. There's always some kind of box or a door with an irritatingly stupid combination lock, with convenient clues scattered all around it. It's like some CEO said 'Well, we're churning these Sherlock games out as fast and cheap as we can, so we might as well be lazy about it'.

What would happen if someone erased that heart diagram? I'm guessing Jack the Ripper would just keep killing prostitutes until the end of his natural lifespan.

What the gently caress Frogwares, as Holmes would say.

Edit: for consideration.

Hours pass

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 12:18 on May 19, 2014

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

gameplusmeagan posted:

New episode is ready! And you will not be ready for the excitement that follows because OH MAN now Sherlock Holmes gets to test VARIOUS PERFUMES AND DECIDE IF THEY ARE GOOD OR BAD?!?!?!??1/1111!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5GaExYUF4o

Oh man, I remember this part now... the solution to this puzzle is, depending on your outlook on adventure games and life in general, one of the highest or the lowest points of the entire series.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Again, criminal investigation is obstructed by the most mundane problems conceivable. "This cart won't move even though I'm evidently pushing it with my own hands! What devilry is this?!" "The front door of this building is an insurmountable barrier... Only one method of opening it can exist, now if only I could find it."

I totally solved the cypher without looking it up :smug:. The logic puzzles in these games are usually really good, although there are a couple of unfortunate outliers. It's just that they often don't integrate to the game world in any sensible way, or the connection presented is patently ridiculous. That aspect gets even worse in The Testament of Sherlock Holmes.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

drat, I had so much fun waiting for you to figure the green magnifying glass thing out. Why would anyone just tell you about it?! Effin spoilsport...

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Thanks for the LP, it's definitely a... game. I hope everyone understands that there's no actual malice involved, when I say I want to expose pretty much anyone to this series just to see what happens. I can understand if you don't want to approach Frogware products for a while.

It's nothing I don't do to myself, though. I just finished Crimes & Punishments, so here's a random rant about that game:

I can safely say that it's easily the best in the series, and can be unironically recommended for anyone who doesn't mind games that are heavy on story and light on gameplay.

Almost all of the pointless filler crap is just gone, and Sherlock actually investigates all day all the time. The only padding in the game is some forced traveling back and forth between areas, but this is offset quite a bit by the game giving you access to all the case notes and the deduction space during load screens. The game is a bit short, but if you'd actually remove all the stupid crap from Ripper, that game'd be even shorter. The most interesting mechanical changes borrow from L.A Noire. The game has interrogation sequences, and you can solve cases multiple ways, possibly resulting in the wrong suspect being condemned. However unlike Noire, the game always lets you try again if you fail, instead of shouting at the player and dumping them in the next case.

Some random additional observations:
  • There's less cats but more Toby, which I consider an acceptable trade. Some bees though.
  • Instead of doing stupid things in boring areas, you do actual investigating in beautiful meticulously detailed exciting areas. I mean, you can tell that this is designed to also run on Xbox 360 level hardware, but it still looks pretty goddamn amazing.
  • The logic puzzles are toned down a lot. I personally liked the tough puzzles from Testament, but I suspect a lot of the target audience won't miss them.
  • Watson has a very weak role, which is disappointing after him having a couple of amazing scenes in Testament. Holmes is properly bonkers.
  • You get to play Homes dress-up, and put funny hairdos and facial hair on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

The game is afoot!

• Locked thread