Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I cant believe you haven't mentioned that those little dialogue cues look like comical sherlock pipes hanging from their lips.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
"What do you think, Deputy Chairington?"

"I think you're mad, sir."

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 27, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The man was obviously insane, he mixed books and math together. BOOKS and MATH.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh, btw, Valerian smells like dried death. Tastes nice as a tea though, kinda peppery, once you get past the smell. Who ever would use it as a perfume?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Speaking of death tea (Valerian tea is quite nice for insomnia, do not take this as a disparaging comment towards it, it works quite well), as well as gristly victorian things, here's an interesting article with sources taken from Mummies, Cannibals and Vampires: The History of Corpse Medicine from the Renaissance to the Victorian and Medicinal Cannibalism in Early Modern English Literature and Culture.

quote:

“The question was not, ‘Should you eat human flesh?’ but, ‘What sort of flesh should you eat?’ ” says Sugg. The answer, at first, was Egyptian mummy, which was crumbled into tinctures to stanch internal bleeding.

I had misremembered this as being mummy tea.

quote:

Blood was procured as fresh as possible, while it was still thought to contain the vitality of the body. This requirement made it challenging to acquire. The 16th century German-Swiss physician Paracelsus believed blood was good for drinking, and one of his followers even suggested taking blood from a living body. While that doesn’t seem to have been common practice, the poor, who couldn’t always afford the processed compounds sold in apothecaries, could gain the benefits of cannibal medicine by standing by at executions, paying a small amount for a cup of the still-warm blood of the condemned. “The executioner was considered a big healer in Germanic countries,” says Sugg. “He was a social leper with almost magical powers.” For those who preferred their blood cooked, a 1679 recipe from a Franciscan apothecary describes how to make it into marmalade.

Now, to be fair, blood sausage is delicious. But, really, we might be busting up a medical malpractice ring.

quote:

This is not to say that we have moved on from using one human body to heal another. Blood transfusions, organ transplants and skin grafts are all examples of a modern form of medicine from the body. At their best, these practices are just as rich in poetic possibility as the mummies found in Donne and Shakespeare, as blood and body parts are given freely from one human to another. But Noble points to their darker incarnation, the global black market trade in body parts for transplants. Her book cites news reports on the theft of organs of prisoners executed in China, and, closer to home, of a body-snatching ring in New York City that stole and sold body parts from the dead to medical companies. It’s a disturbing echo of the past. Says Noble, “It’s that idea that once a body is dead you can do what you want with it.”

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/the-gruesome-history-of-eating-corpses-as-medicine-82360284/#KAZoXpVzXoXF3epp.99

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Kangra posted:

Valerian also isn't catnip, either, but can attract cats. The Encyclopedia Spartaca needs some updating. Catnip/catmint can also be made into tea (using the leaves) and has a more herbal, slightly minty and generally more pleasant smell than valerian.

Nepetas are a magnitude of awesome I cant grow in my garden because I already have to keep bushes of Rosemary and Marigolds everywhere around the arbor and containers because otherwise feral cats come and poo poo in everything. The soil's already acidic as hell, I don't need increased ammonia levels on top of it!

Good thing I like rosemary. I need to start training the bigger ones as topiary.

Valerian also has a much greater sedative effect on me personally then catmint, I guess the old adage of The Worse It Is, The Better It Works holds true.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jun 7, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

There's just so many things wrong with this episode.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Alone in the kitchen with a pig uterus.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/2010/03/alone_in_the_ki.php

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gameplusmeagan posted:

Why did I click that link? What did I expect?

I personally was expecting more pig uterus recepies. Like how they do the krispy kabobs.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
It's recipe time!

http://peterisadb.wordpress.com/2010/06/23/6/

quote:

After hearing stories of cows head barbacoa and seeing the process on various food shows, I was completely hooked on the idea of giving it a try. I wanted to find out why, despite everyone raving about the flavor, the idea of it repulsed so many people. When the opportunity to bury and cook something for 24 hours emerged with an upcoming (then) camping trip, the only obstacle I faced was finding a cow’s head. As it turned out, fears about prions from the brain contaminating the meat made it impossible to purchase a cow’s head in and around Boston.

The many obstacles to making truly great tacos.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Happy to be a service to the crown, m'lord.

Watson, meanwhile, seems to have blocked all his army doctorin' experience from his mind. Or he's easily upset by his piggie friends being treated in such a menner.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jul 2, 2014

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gameplusmeagan posted:

Asking for a friend: if, during the moving process, you drop and break a bunch of glass jars with uteruses in them... you just leave them there for Sherlock Holmes to find, right?

Yeah but hes not likely to clean them up, and you loose your deposit.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

gameplusmeagan posted:

We're getting moved into our new place tomorrow so the hiatus is almost over! Gonna try to have some new stuff next week. Sorry for the break but thanks for stickin' around, guys! We promise not to make you wait like that again. (pets lovingly)

Oh, perfect timing, I just got back from the farm and have new recipes to try.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Shhhh shhh shh. Let the healing begin.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3467/red-nose-day-raspberry-cookies

No bodies, only cookies now.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

citybeatnik posted:

I liked the bit in the last video where Holmes is complaining about how folks think he's constantly running around in a deerstalker.

I'm sick of all the deerstalker backlash, honestly. All the modern Sherlocks have been rejecting that thing like it was overcooked carrots on the side of a dinner plate. Everyone's giving Sherlock all these aspergian traits as it is, so I think at least one of the new interpretations of him should just be like, really obsessed with deerstalkers. Wears one every day. Has a collection. Will talk for hours about superior thermal insulation properties and glare reduction. Argues about them on message boards. Goes hunting just to talk to other people about their hats.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Watson must have spent all his army doctorin time in Afghanistan holed up in his tent drinking. I can only wonder how he passed any of his anatomy classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
ITS OVER.

I now submit that you go and have a nice picnic.

• Locked thread