Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

Stickarts posted:

haha Hockles, you're a month late on the hot tip.

Your top 21 SAS Pick 'em countdown!

21-17

18th: 45 points. Zamboni Jesus. 1 bonus. 9/15 series.
18th: 45 points. Zat. 1 bonus question. 9/15 series.
18th: 45 points. Rutkowski. 3 bonus questions correct, 9/15 series.
16th: 46 points. ThinkTank. 2.5 bonus questions. 9/15 series.
16th: 46 points. CBJSprague24. ½ bonus questions. 7/15 series

16-9

13th: 47 points. Mentholmoose. 1 bonus question. 10/15 series.
13th: 47 points. deafmute. 1 bonus. 6/15 series.
13th: 47 points. CDX. 1 bonus. 8/15 series.
11th: 48 points. duro. 1 bonus. 8/15 series.
11th: 48 points. whatis. 1.5 bonus. 9/11 series.
09th: 49 points. Drunk Canuck. 1 bonus. 9/15 series.
09th: 49 points. Veskit. 1.5 bonus. 10/15 series.

Note: Make sure to mock deafmute. 6/15! ha!
I question your "math" and suddenly understand why you were chased out of your previous province with pitchforks and torches :colbert:

Edit: Just checked, you blew it. I got 7 correct(Bruins/Rangers/Ducks/Blackhawks/Blackhawks/Kings/Kings) not 6. You should recheck your math on the point tabulation too :clint:

deafmute fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm phone posting for all this. Have you tried spreadsheets on a 2 inch wide screen? I reserve the right to correct any and all. If I time it right I'm in front of my computer by the time the winner is revealed. Thankfully you had no hope to win anyway! Mockery!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Anyway, for the record deafmute did get slashed short two points. I missed one of his 2nd round picks. As I said at various times throughout, "check yer fuckin stats". 119 unique spreadsheet rows makes the eyes blur awfully fast. I have double checked the top 10 and will do so again before the super official final results are in.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Stickarts posted:

Anyway, for the record deafmute did get slashed short two points. I missed one of his 2nd round picks. As I said at various times throughout, "check yer fuckin stats". 119 unique spreadsheet rows makes the eyes blur awfully fast. I have double checked the top 10 and will do so again before the super official final results are in.
Apology accepted. Top 10 :smugdog:

Get a phone with a bigger screen and good luck with the move :hfive:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

k deafmute made the top 10. Pool is obviously a broken sham and is now closed.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

:siren: Your top 21 SAS Pick 'em countdown, part 3! :siren:

A quick recap:

Stickarts posted:

21-17

20th: 45 points. Zamboni Jesus. 1 bonus. 9/15 series.
20th: 45 points. Zat. 1 bonus question. 9/15 series.
19th: 45 points. Rutkowski. 3 bonus questions correct, 9/15 series.
17th: 46 points. ThinkTank. 2.5 bonus questions. 9/15 series.
17th: 46 points. CBJSprague24. ½ bonus questions. 7/15 series

16-10

15th: 47 points. Mentholmoose. 1 bonus question. 10/15 series.
15th: 47 points. CDX. 1 bonus. 8/15 series.
13th: 48 points. duro. 1 bonus. 8/15 series.
13th: 48 points. whatis. 1.5 bonus. 9/11 series.
10th: 49 points. Drunk Canuck. 1 bonus. 9/15 series.
10th: 49 points. Veskit. 1.5 bonus. 10/15 series.
10th: 49 points. deafmute. 1 bonus. 7/15 series.

09-05

08th: 50 points. mennoknight. 3 bonus. 9/15.
08th: 50 points. Zodijacklyte. 0 bonus. 10/15.
06th: 51 points. mono. 3.5 bonus. 7/15.
06th: 51 points. Xtanstic. 2 bonus. 8/15.
05th: 53 points. Hand Knit. 0 bonus. 12/15.

And now we arrive at the final 4. The cream of the icy crop, and it all came down to the very wire. All things considered, based on the gap between these four and the rest of you knuckle draggers, this is the victory round.

Without further ado:

In fourth place with 58 points , 11 of 15 correct series, and one bonus (# sweeps) finishes T-Bone. A lack of finish with the bonus round dropped him at the end.

In third, we find a late-charging EvilJimmyCarter, who finishes 10/15 with 2 bonuses (# sweeps, leading goal total). Had he listened to his head instead of his homer heart in the finals, he would have placed even higher.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Jun 22, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

We have now reached the final four. Given the gap between these veritable stalwarts and the rest of the field, this is the super bigtime special prize crew. Three of the faces had been near the top all along, while a fourth made their presence known late. Which of the four would end up on top came down to the very end, unknown even to me.

-.-.-

In the first half of a tie for 3rd place with 62 points, we have T-Bone. Was he undone by his own bluster and hubris? Perhaps. He was just as much defeated by his lukewarm showing with the bonus question round, though, scoring only one correct answer (# of sweeps) – the least of the entire top four. His 11 of 15 series predictions was certainly impressive, only one off the pace – and he was a couple of game 7s away from an even higher number (and total victory). But close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades. And this contest. Sort of.

The second half of 3rd place gives us a late-charging EvilJimmyCarter. Buried in the ranks after the first round, EvilJimmy had a rockin’ crystalline-perfection third round only to listen to his homer heart instead of his brain in the finals, costing him a chance at even greater victory. EvilJimmy “only” scored 10 of 15 series correct, but his 2 bonus questions lead the top 4, enough to tie for the digital bronze.

-.-.-

With 66 points, 2nd place goes to Dak02. Dak02 was solid throughout the entire playoffs, never more than a handful of points off the pace. In the end a lucklustre second round (1/4) became his undoing, despite being the only person to correctly predict Martinez scoring the cup winner. Which is actually pretty cool. Dak02 also finished with the second highest series predictions, going 11 for 15, and – on top of his Martinez – scored 1.5 bonus questions correctly. I must admit I was quietly rooting for Dak02 because of that sweet av, but even my Maradona-esque hand of god pushing him/her onward couldn’t make him/her beat the one true hero and conquering pick 'em victor

Lazerwolf. 70 points. That is the pinnacle goon humanity crested. Our Everest. I had a personal congratulation from Sir Edmund Hillary recorded, but alas I dropped it in a bucket of rendered chicken fat, and it is ruined. Lazerwolf (with T-Bone) lead nearly pole to pole and finished 12 for 15 for series, and 1.5 bonus questions. It must be admitted that Lazerwolf “benefitted” from my own incompetence. The rough draft had him finishing with 63 points, but review indicated I had missed a correct series prediction for Lazerwolf, shorting him/her not only of 2 points, but of the bonus for most correct series he/she shared with Hand Knit. That 7 point swing was the key to victory. So, in a way, you could say that I won the contest.

Each of the three challengers were only one goal, one game, one correct prediction away from victory. Only Lazerwolf was without the proverbial chink in the armour.

So congratulations, Lazerwolf! Of 119 participants you alone have emerged unbloodied and victorious.

-.-.-

A special shoutout is in order for Grimby as well! Of the 50-60 goons who participated in every round, your 20 points ranks you last! You did manage a respectable 8/15 series, keeping you north of the Mendoza line, but managed to do nearly nothing else with the points available to be won. The strongest last place showing I have ever seen.

whatis deserves one final needle – had he got in for the second round, his pace would have put him at ~65 points and we would be talking Rolston Cenitpedes. But he didn’t, so we’re not.

So there you have it folks! Your 2014 NHL playoff pick ‘em final results!

All that’s left now is to discuss the :siren: prizes :siren:. As I have mentioned, I intend to cook up a little something for the winners. (T-Bone, EvilJimmyCarter, Dak02, Lazerwolf). The discussion now centers around what those 4 (with Lazerwolf driving the bus) want for a print. Note that the production of this print will take about 30 hours of my time to produce, so it would be nice if the idea was a good one, which is why I am opening the floor up for suggestions from the other winners (and anyone else). I’m partial to reproducing works of old masters with a hockey twist a la Flying Lemur’s (I do not remember his new name presently) “Creation of Crosby”. Off the top of my head, a Philly Goalie pushing a puck up the mountain towards the cup like Sisyphus is a (kind of unfunny) example of what I mean. Wanna see Steve Yzerman eating Marty St. Louis like Jupiter eats his children? Now’s your chance. Anything goes, though.

T-Bone, EvilJimmy, Dak02, Lazerwolf and Grimby(!) could you also provide a list of current/past favourite players/teams? I will dig through my memorabilia to find some fun stuff to send out as well.

So that's it, your final update. Thanks to everyone who participated. gently caress there are a lot of you.

Now to open the floor for suggestions for the grand prize. Which may be better off in the Toxx thread. We'll see.

e. found the print for formerly Flying Lemur from some pages ago. Thought it worthwhile to do.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 22, 2014

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
disgraceful counting

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

An Ottawa Senators themed version of Guernica would be pretty cool.

Maybe a Vancouver Canucks themed Last Supper could work if you had Torts conspiring with Kesler enough.

Saturn Devouring His Son featuring Doug Wilson and Joe Thornton.

One of the paintings Hitler made with cameos by the Montreal Canadiens would probably be the best option though.

deafmute fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jun 22, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

T-Bone posted:

disgraceful counting

Heh, I knew I would be catching some words from you. These are the final and correct numbers, for one. The officials hosed up (NHL typical) but fixed their mistakes (not NHL typical). I also made all final decisions regarding points before the final tally, so theoretically everyone is equal. The somewhat nebulous point total growth is also why I collected the top 4 as their own special bundle. (Sorry you weren't good enough to win, but you can totally have this loser point. NHL typical.)

e. lol Ottawa Guernicas

Dak02
Nov 23, 2003

SPARE SOME CHANGE??
Congrats Lazerwolf, T-bone and Grimby. :hfive:

regarding players/teams
Ducks and Avalanche have been my favorite teams, I used to be more of an Avs fan in the 96-03 era.
Players: Selanne, Giguere, Niedermayer, Sakic, Forsberg and Roy, if you need more info I can try to come up with more

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lou Lams and Jacques L for me. Maybe a Stevens headshot too or a Bobby Holik head photoshopped on Kermit the Frog

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Woohoo! I couldn't have done it without meticulously scouring spreadsheets of fancystats and then ultimately disregarding them and taking best guesses! My PDO: Beginner's luck was at an all time high!

Favorite team/players: anything Flyers and Giroux, Voracek, Timonen, Leclair, Hextall and Lindros are/have been my favorite players.

I like the Sisyphus idea or something along the lines of Hextall with his stick raised in the fashion of the Here's Johnny scene from the Shining or just a Flyers goalie mask done in the style of the Invisible Man.

Glambags
Dec 28, 2003

I have no regrets! gently caress the Kings!

I've pretty much always been a Rangers guy although I also root for the Isles when they play anyone other than the Rangers and as a kid I followed the Whalers for a time. Gotta go with Avery, Dubinsky, Zucc, Richter, Verbeek, Messier for fav players, although growing up in the 90s my uncle was a diehard Flyers fan and I loved John LeClair :shobon:

Also Peter Laviolette was a Binghamton Ranger in the early 90s in the AHL, so that's kinda lol.

CDX
Dec 3, 2004

Cheap, but not as cheap as your girlfriend.
Stickarts, can you post the final answers to the first round of questions?

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I definitely will. I just got back from a week in a tent and am 20 minutes from going out of town for work, but I will try and revive this a bit this weekend.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Effort post incoming in the next 48 hours with CDX's request and some half-formed ideas for the print to run by lazerwolf, T-bone, EvilJmmyCarter, and the rest of you louts.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Hey folks. Sorry for the delay. The death of SA transitioned quite nicely into a week of electricity free living, which was quickly followed up by the final leg of my move between cities. I’m settling in now, finally leaving me with time to waste on the internet. Anyway, I have a few ideas I will throw out for general discussion. Anyone is welcome to give their two cents, though lazerwolf is driving the bus. And EvilJimmy and t-bone are in the front seats.

So ideas break down into two basic types: Philadelphia-centric, given lazerwolf’s own unfortunate allegiance, and broader, more generally hockey themes.

First off, some Philly ideas. You know that famous painting of the Vietnam Memorial? This one?

I was thinking basically that the grieving veteran would be Steve Mason, with his fallen comrades being a collection of past Philly goalies such as Hextall, Lindbergh, Parent, etc beckoning at ol’ Steve. I like this idea but one potential drawback is that there isn’t a whole lot of room for additions as there just isn’t that much in the painting - I kinda have to stay true to the original composition.

Then there is the absurd category: Mike Holmgren as the Mona Lisa? Eric Lindros as the birth of Venus? The Last Supper with Giroux Christ and #JudasDown?

Moving on, I also thought maybe a retelling of a Battle of Gettysburg painting where the opposing sides are Penguins and Flyers, given that the battle took place in Pennsylvania and all. This is a bit less of a humour option and a more of an intense kind of undertaking. While more daunting, with dozens of faces and tons of action it would be easy to slip a “Bettman getting shot” and other such lovely little details into the work. Which definitely speaks in its favour. Who doesn’t wanna see Bettman get stabbed to death? An example:

For this same reason - lots of room to have some fun with action in the painting - I thought it would be funny to do a hockey-themed retelling of a medieval/renaissance plague/apocalypse/hell painting. Think people dying in the streets with demons and poo poo, but instead of 14th century peasants, it’s the Toronto Maple Leafs. Along these lines a hockey retelling of The Last Judgement has some potential.

Then we have what I already mentioned and derivations of it: Greek myths. Sisyphus as Philly goaltending, Tantalus as Philly drinking from The Cup, etc. These are more self-explanatory and are more on the Philly side of things.

Anyway, this is what I've got. I'm definitely open to off the board suggestions - deafmute had a few gooders from before. Anyway, it might take a while for all relevant posters to get in here. In the meantime, grab a seat and enjoy a nice cold glass of lemonade.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 11, 2014

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Don Cherry and Pierre McGuire being hidden in a Battle of Gettysburg painting would be pretty good. The Nam one would be cool if it was the Canucks goalie graveyard. Artistic rendition of Scott Stevens in a book depository landing a physics defying headshot on Paul Kariya's motorcade could have some promise too. If you have to fit the Flyers theme make a Holmgren/Hextall version of American Gothic.

By the way thanks for running this whole thing and doing all the pain in the rear end tracking that was involved :hfive:

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
The Battle of Gettysburg is a clever idea and you could also make it more NHL-wide and depict a battle for the Cup.

A couple Flyers-centric ideas:

Classic Flyers players (Clarke, Schultz, Hexy, Giroux, Lindros, Leclair, etc.) in this style.

or a super ambitious idea to recreate this painting using Flyers players and instead of forming a candle in the middle, Lord Stanley's Cup is formed instead

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

deafmute posted:

Don Cherry and Pierre McGuire being hidden in a Battle of Gettysburg painting would be pretty good. The Nam one would be cool if it was the Canucks goalie graveyard. Artistic rendition of Scott Stevens in a book depository landing a physics defying headshot on Paul Kariya's motorcade could have some promise too. If you have to fit the Flyers theme make a Holmgren/Hextall version of American Gothic.

By the way thanks for running this whole thing and doing all the pain in the rear end tracking that was involved :hfive:

deafmute and I are on the same wavelength when it comes to hokey hockey art. Holmgren/Hextall as American Gothic is pretty :lol:

Anyway, Gettysburg it is! I'm actually looking forward to this quite a bit. I'm gonna ask around the forums a bit, but does anyone in here know a good resource for Civil War art? Some Dave Gallon guy has produced a lot of contemporary stuff but it would be neat to find a more primary source, so to speak, of paintings. I need big, like big, super big high resolution to get the necessary results. Any ideas from you, my peers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Here are some I found. If all of them suck you can always use google image search then change the results to only show large images or ones that are bigger than x resolution to narrow things down.

I like these ones a lot.
3(This one fits perfectly and could be a bonus background element)

• Locked thread