Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

e. Here is the link to the spreadsheets, note there are two tabs at the bottom to look at:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B1GSfpyDmA3l_-8chpnB8aujZzHZOQCPV2kNAafJhXc/edit?usp=sharing

Good evening, y'all. It's playoff eve, and the hopes of 15 different teams are about to be hilariously and cruelly dashed on Lord Stanley's rocks. Probations will be handed out like loving Easter chocolate, and - if we're very good and a little lucky - might even get a banme or two out of this.

Because I'm _______ I didn't get into any sports pools this season, instead of just letting the season go out on a whimper I thought I would try to be a little be proactive and contribute to these forums, trolling rear end in a top hat that I can be from time to time.

My idea is as follows:

We hold a big ol' bracket contest.

Hats off to lmaothekid for getting the official sas bracket going, no doubt, but THIS one is gonna have prizes!

I'm open to suggestions in this, but my idea is as follows:

Every playoff series of every round is worth points, with every round worth twice as much as the one before it. For every correct playoff series prediction, you score that number of points.

For instance:

Round 1 - 8 series @ 2 points each
Round 2 - 4 series @ 4 points each
Round 3 - 2 series @ 8 points each
Round 4 - 1 series @ 16 points

Say, for example, mcvey only got 2 first round series correct, 1 second round series and 1 third rounder (because he is stupid). He would have accumulated a grand total of 16 points. And he would lose.

These points would be scored and predictions made on a round by round basis.

The next way to score points is # of games played per series. You would score 2 points for every correct series game total, regardless of round. These predictions would also be made on a round by round basis.

Then there is the bonus round! Each of these questions are worth a totally scientifically-calculated value of... 10 points each. These are made at the beginning of the playoffs and are locked in once the contest has started. These will be done on a "closest to the mark" style.

Stanley Cup winning team:

Conn Smythe winner:

Number of OT games:

Number of suspensions:

Total goals of entire playoffs:

Total goals of the finals:

Carey Price's gaa and s%:

Which 1990-present expansion team will go furthest (tie breaker of total wins, and, failing that, goals for):

The "worst" team (aka the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the cup winner):

Total number of game 7's played:

Total number of sweeps:

Leading goal scorer/leading goal total (10 per):

Player with most pim/total (10 per):

Number of too many men penalties:

The person with the highest accumulated point total wins!

But what do they win, Bob?

First place will receive a custom made uv screen print of anything their/sas' collective imagination can come up with, from the hands of yours truly (think all the hilarity of the finest of forums avatars, but with the room for detail and imagination of an lp cover. I have made pieces like this in the past (FLYING LEMUR WHERE ARE YOU) but as I am typing this on my phone en route somewhere between nowhere and ummmm, I can't post the image. It is a print of the creation of man (God and Adam touching fingers on the Sistine chapel) but Lemieux as our Lord, Crosby as our primogeniture, and a whole bunch of former penguins as cute little cherubs with Bettman's face covering up their cute little wangs. Eh. I will post the image later.

On top of this, first place will also receive 50 bucks worth of
Memorabilia and merchandise of my choosing from my personal collection.

If the response to this is more than just a handful of posters, I will allocate merch and memorabilia value for 2nd and 3rd as well. Maybe for every 10 posters another winning slot is added, to a maximum of three.

Anyway, seeing as this is awfully close to the playoffs, I am keeping this contest open till 6:55 ET Friday, April 18. That is 5 minutes before the first game 2 of the playoffs starts. So if you wanna cheat, you have time.

Anyway, this is a bit of a work in progress, if any of you fine gals and gents have suggestions, please share them.

And hand_knit, do you mind keeping this in SAS proper for a few days before moving it to the armchair quarterback?

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, but I can always revise history later.

History Revision

Round 1 Point methods

6 points for correct series length and winner
2 points for correct series length
2 points for correct series winner

bonus 10 points for anyone who picks 8/8 correct winners

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Post them here so we can all mock each other. I will put them into a spreadsheet as we go.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Quote this for my sanity:

East:
1 v 8
Winner: gp:

2 v 7

3 v 6

4 v 5

West
1 v 8

2 v 7

3 v 6

4 v 5

Stanley Cup winning team:

Conn Smythe winner:

Number of OT games:

Number of suspensions:

Total goals of entire playoffs:

Total goals of the finals:

Carey Price's gaa and s%:

Which 1990-present expansion team will go furthest (tie breaker of total wins, and, failing that, goals for):

The "worst" team (aka the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the cup winner):

Total number of game 7's played:

Total number of sweeps:

Leading goal scorer/leading goal total (10 per):

Player with most pim/total (10 per):

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 16, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I will look into this google form at my desk. I like the idea of keeping it in the forum so we can bemoan our shot picks round by round. Put yer name in the ring, if you dare.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Spoiler that red x poo poo.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Well if I don't get to win I may as well be bold.

East:
1 v 8
Winner: Boston gp: 6

2 v 7
Winner: Columbus gp: 7

3 v 6
Winner: Montreal gp: 6

4 v 5
Winner: New York gp: 6

West
1 v 8
Winner: Dallas gp: 6

2 v 7
Winner: Minnesota gp: 6

3 v 6
Winner: St. Louis gp: 6

4 v 5
Winner: San Jose gp: 7

Stanley Cup winning team: St. Louis

Conn Smythe winner: Miller

Number of OT games: 17

Number of suspensions: 0

Total goals of entire playoffs: 410

Total goals of the finals: 27

Carey Price's gaa and s%: 2.12; .924

Which 1990-present expansion team will go furthest (tie breaker of total wins, and, failing that, goals for): Columbus

The "worst" team (aka the team that lost to the team that lost to the team that lost to the cup winner): Pittsburgh

Total number of game 7's played: 4

Total number of sweeps: 3

Leading goal scorer/leading goal total (10 per): Bergeron/9

Player with most pim/total (10 per): Lapierre/32

Too much man's total: 6

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 16, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Dak02 wit an important addition!

Too many men penalties! Number of:

if those who posted don't add that in I will randomly assign you a number between 1 and 100. It's gonna be closer to 100.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Also, to keep everyone updated - think I'm gonna alter the points awarded for series length predictions. 2 points for correct prediction regardless of who wins, 4 if the team you predicted to win the series does it. It evens out the potential points between the two sections a bit better.

And boxc - I ended up using google docs.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

CBJSprague24 posted:

Any room for comedy, unofficial categories, like Number of People Raffi Torres Kills In The Postseason?

I've spiced things up with certain predictions you all have made.

Maybe "number of concussions" or "injuries that eliminate a player from the postseason", but that would mean everyone who has already entered would have to read this in time and get their predictions in.

Number of bans/probations would work, too. Same problem though.

Any suggestions on whether adding more categories is worth it?

e. also does anyone have any RED X spreadsheets saved? Zambonijesus? I wanna make sure I get that just right

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 16, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Also that's... pretty damned good, actually. Logos be tricky.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea I was phone posting from a bus that OP. From 2013. Hence the archaic playoff seeding. You all survived!

More rules updates - Gonna award bonus 10 points every round to the participants with the most correct series predictions regardless of series length. In event of a tie, all tied will get 10 points. In the first two rounds there will also be a 10 point bonus for a perfect bracket.

Also - because there's so loving many of you and my worries of not giving you all enough time to join have now been revealed to be completely unfounded, and in the interest of fairness :siren: after puck drop of Montreal-Tampa tonight I will no longer be accepting submissions unless I recognize you as an SAS NHL regular/I like you or your avatar or something. A new hard deadline of the final buzzer of the late game (Dallas-Anaheim) is now in effect. :siren:

Realistically this means get it in before Anaheim-Dallas is over.
e.

Zamboni Jesus posted:

lol people who don't pick their team to get swept out in the first round

e: i just read the op and how stickarts is posting from his phone, whatever happened to the stickarts who got super drunk walking along the river drinking a spiked double gulp with me who swore he would never own a mobile phone?

ahha the phone zombies got me. Though it's been run over by a tractor on two separate occasions, so maybe that's a sign. fwiw I'm getting a sweet old nokia after my contract expires on this fuckin smart phone. I'm way too easily distracted to have the internet in my pocket.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Apr 16, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Shyfted One posted:

I hosed up and finished up a proposal for work and forgot about playoff pick'em :( In my defense, what happens with this proposal will essentially decide what my life will be like for the next 5 years.

Oh well. Go Flyers, Go Jackets, Go Sharks. In that order.

I recognize you. I'm mostly just trying to save my mind from self-destruction. If you read this, get it in.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Closed! And collating.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

As it is a tiebreaker, they're just ensuring they're gonna lose, I guess. Bilirubin has 90s teams winning the cup twice in his predictions. Totally covering his bases!

e. 84 entrants. That's drat near significant!

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 17, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Anyway - here's the first of a few different ways I'm gonna try and present the info, because if you're going to tabulate, you better tabulate:

It's late but I'm fairly certain that within .1 Boston's picks average to a 5.5 game series and Detroit's 6.5.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Apr 17, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ok, first up, just some simple results. Interestingly, Colorado is the heaviest favourite of SAS NHL hive mind. The closest vote wasn't very close - TBL v Montreal's 34 v 50

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 17, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

And now Series Length predictions, to go with the Boston v Detroit of last night:

The most popular pick was San Jose in 7 with 35 tallies
Colorado in 6 with 32
Montreal in 6 with 31

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Aaaaaand reposting the RED X LIST

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Oh and here is the link to the spreadsheets, putting them in OP, too:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1B1GSfpyDmA3l_-8chpnB8aujZzHZOQCPV2kNAafJhXc/edit?usp=sharing

Note there are two spreadsheets. Check the second one for the second half of the pick'em challenge.

Oh, and I am missing someone's vote for SJS v LAK. Would y'all mind confirming I got your name? Too many spreadsheets and graphs right now.

I will get the second half tallied up in a bit here. As well as day one stats update.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 17, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

first update:

Number of OT games: 1

Total goals of entire playoffs: 23

Total goals of the finals: 31

Carey Price's gaa and s%: 3.08/.840 - There are far too many of you close to these numbers.

Leading goal scorer: Stamkos, 2

Player with most pim: Letang/Gonchar: 4

:siren: Too much man :siren:: 2!!!

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Apr 18, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Pleads posted:

Puck over glass has at least two :colbert:

Yea I was considering picking that as well, but TOO MUCH MAN has such historical significance. What can I say, I'm a petty man - gently caress Don Cherry.

Anyway, more graphs! Cup winners first, and then players with 3+ Conn Smythe votes.

Also, 6 of you have the goal scoring record being broken, the highest by Stamkos with 25 (!). At 2 gpg, he only has to make it to the second round to do it!

Also, our first real batch of Red Xs!

and then ShyftedOne... more like ShaftedOne! :downs: He currently leads the way with 2 red Xs! (Columbus sweeping Pittsburgh doesn't help matters.)

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Apr 18, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I'm surprised at how decisive the first round voting was. The closest split was 60/40.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I will add you all in. I might "massage" your answers a bit out of fairness to those WHO WEREN'T LATE JESUS CHRIST

HowCouldYou - you can guess the second half, just make sure some of your predictions run a little contrary to whatever trends have developed after like 10 games.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Apr 19, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Also, loving the Boston Strong Red X. I can feel tears coming.

A quick stat update:

CEDRIC PAQUETTE bursts into the PIM lead with 14. Except nobody picked him.

And for comedy purposes :siren: RENE BORK BORK BORK :siren: leads the league in goals!

And 3x Too Much Mans already! We have been blessed!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

deafmute posted:

Should've used spears to the groin as a tie break :monocle:

Red x's will consume us all :ohdear:

With San Jose's touchdown last night, the Red Xs now have blood sacrifices from every series.

Love that crawling Tampa Bay action

Other updates: We now have FOUR TOO MUCH MAN's. 5 OTs, Kyle Clifford leads with 16 PIM and One Suspension!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Following whatis' stunning first round Montreal-TBL victory over literally everyone else, I give you the

:siren: OFFICIAL FIRST LEADERBOARD UPDATE :siren:

whatis: 6 points
Zamboni Jesus: 2
hockles: 2

2 points for predicting a sweep in tb/montreal but getting the winner wrong, for those wondering.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Our first completed Red X:

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

:siren: Second Official Pick 'em™ Standings Update :siren:

We are officially ½ way done the first round! (4/15 series are already over :( )

The scoring breakdown for this round is as follows:

6 points for getting both series winner and length of series correct
2 points for picking the right team
2 points for picking the right number of games

lazerwolf, whatis, Xtanstic are officially a cut above the rest, having nailed 3 out of 4 series perfectly (length/winner). That's.... actually pretty impressive. Note that I have been kind enough to drop into the bottom 10 to make room for all of you. I went for the underdog flavour and, as often happens, that milk soured fast.

SAS pick 'em Standings update posted:

1-lazerwolf 20
2-whatis 18
3-Xtanstic 18
4-a false 16
5-Infidel Castro 16
6-Technetium 16
7-Zodijackylite 16
8-astr0man 14
9-CBJSprague24 14
10-Flyinglemur 14
Pancakes by Mail 14
Veskit 14
Zamboni Jesus 14
Blackbelt Bobman 12
Dak02 12
DickBoat 12
Drunk Canuck 12
Duro 12
ffoecaf 12
Hockles 12
Karnegal 12
revtoiletduck 12
THE MACHO MAN 12
ThinkTank 12
.Spec 10
CDX 10
Chad Sexington 10
darkwolf220 10
Diet Crack 10
fancy stats 10
HOW COULD YOU 10
ist 10
Jaw Knee 10
Jordan7hm 10
kalensc 10
Knowlue 10
mennoknight 10
mentholmoose 10
Mind_Taker 10
mono 10
Rotten Cookies 10
Sadmantongue 10
Stanos 10
T-Bone 10
Thufir 10
Zat 10
Bilirubin 8
BOXC 8
EvilJimmyCarter 8
INSPECTAH DECK 8
NJD2005 8
OldSenileGuy 8
Pierre McGuire 8
Shadow Ninja 64 8
Shinjobi 8
The Angry Bum 8
wonderllama 8
AAB 6
aejix 6
double sulk 6
Guignol 6
Hand Knit 6
JayMax 6
MononcQc 6
mutations 6
SporkofTruth 6
SURPRISE WITNESS 6
tofes 6
Topoisomerase 6
Twin Cinema 6
deafmute 4
HookShot 4
Kilza 4
Kreez 4
marsisol 4
MrCodeDude 4
Pleads 4
Rutkowski 4
Shoeonhead22 4
Stickarts 4
fits 2
Grimby 2
Habibi 2
marioinblack 2
ShyftedOne 2
VJeff 2
Vigilance 0

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Apr 29, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

cough cough

I HOLD ABSOLUTE VETO POWER. YOUR POINTS ARE WHAT I MAKE THEM, WORM.

(I neglected to give points for people who picked Boston, because gently caress Boston. Oh it moves me up 12 spots?

:siren: There has been a mistake :siren:

The Real!™ SAS Pick 'em™ Standings! posted:

lazerwolf 20
whatis 20
Xtanstic 18
a false 16
astr0man 16
Infidel Castro 16
Pancakes by Mail 16
Technetium 16
Veskit 16
Zodijackylite 16
CBJSprague24 14
Flyinglemur 14
THE MACHO MAN 14
Zamboni Jesus 14
Blackbelt Bobman 12
CDX 12
Dak02 12
DickBoat 12
Diet Crack 12
Drunk Canuck 12
Hockles 12
HOW COULD YOU 12
Jordan7hm 12
mentholmoose 12
mono 12
revtoiletduck 12
T-Bone 12
ThinkTank 12
Thufir 12
.Spec 10
Chad Sexington 10
Duro 10
EvilJimmyCarter 10
fancy stats 10
ffoecaf 10
INSPECTAH DECK 10
ist 10
kalensc 10
Karnegal 10
Knowlue 10
mennoknight 10
Mind_Taker 10
NJD2005 10
Pierre McGuire 10
Sadmantongue 10
Stanos 10
The Angry Bum 10
wonderllama 10
Zat 10
AAB 8
darkwolf220 8
Hand Knit 8
Jaw Knee 8
JayMax 8
MononcQc 8
OldSenileGuy 8
Rotten Cookies 8
Shadow Ninja 64 8
SporkofTruth 8
SURPRISE WITNESS 8
Topoisomerase 8
Twin Cinema 8
aejix 6
Bilirubin 6
BOXC 6
deafmute 6
HookShot 6
Kilza 6
marsisol 6
MrCodeDude 6
Pleads 6
Rutkowski 6
Shinjobi 6
Shoeonhead22 6
Stickarts 6
double sulk 4
fits 4
Grimby 4
Guignol 4
marioinblack 4
mutations 4
ShyftedOne 4
tofes 4
Vigilance 4
HootTheOwl 2
Kreez 2
VJeff 2
Habibi 0

Yea, lemme know if your numbers are off. If someone is gonna get jobbed it is because I want them to get jobbed.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 28, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Just kidding Ginette Reno! It is actually Habibi who sucks!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Also apparently 27 of you are 4/4 so far.

I'm actually mildly impressed.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

HootTheOwl posted:

You forgot about me and all my dumb picks!

Fixed! For 2 points!

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

SAS majority will is 5/5 for completed series. House money is with the Sharks, Rangers, and Colorado.

Only three series left!

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 29, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Ok so I'm on the road again (lol saskatoon lol) so this is a lovely post to end a series BUT FIRST ROUND OVER.

Round 2 of pick'em begins.

Quote for continued sanity:

Boston v. Montreal:

Pittsburgh v. New York:

Chicago v. Minnesota:

Anaheim v. Los Angeles:

I will work on them first round standings tomorrow night hopefully.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Pleads posted:

Generally us uncultured North American pigdogs list the higher number first in a score like that, unless specifically tied to the team itself (i.e. Pittsburg 3 vs New York 4 or something) and Stickarts especially is a prairie bumpkin who don't read no good

Aw now you done gone and offended me when it weren't but needed.

(Short notice but I'm in toon town and looking fora place to drink and watch Montreal tonight)

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Pleads posted:

We will actually be going to our local watering hole to watch said game. JTs on 8th and McKercher. Look for a goof in a Habs jersey and at least one person at the table using a big foam drinking hand.

PM me or whatever if you decide to come out.

That's... actually really close to where I am staying. Will noted forums poster guignol be present? If not and you can't id me, I'm tall, glasses, beard, and a mean pony.No pm but chances are high I will show up.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Yea we're done making GBS threads up the thread. Sorry about that. (Zamboni Jesus - that dude is ugly. Wait a minute...)

Keep em comin y'all. I think I might close voting off before puck drop tonight. Will see the response today.

Stickarts fucked around with this message at 14:31 on May 2, 2014

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

I was going to question validity of allowing you two in, but you picked with chutzpah anyway so you are in. I'm returning home today so I will endeavour to get the 2nd round tally an first round final standings up today or tomorrow.

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

Rutkowski posted:

I've been away during the weekend fighting nazis, I feel like I have an excuse. :colbert:

You're either implying you're Brad Pitt or I need a more detailed explanation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stickarts
Dec 21, 2003

literally

In honour of Verviticus' subtle protest, I present the Red Xs unsullied by any east cost bias:

Two sacrifices at the altar of Darryl Sutter. A decent trend towards LA.

:eyepop: Goliath over David in 5. 45/86 of you went for that, 76/86 for Chicago. It broke my screenshotting. And yes I know the numbers don't add up down below.

Blood has been shed on both sides here, but not a lot. The next game strikes more deeply. Also holy 50/50 split. And finally, I lost one of y'alls' tallies for this series. See if your name is missing! I will figure it out at the end if it hasn't been yet.

:siren: Montreal/Boston grudge match :siren: In keeping with super tight east picks, we were one drunk poster away from being tied.

• Locked thread