Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven

At Grangerford's Gas
N. Senada as Henry "Ham" Dodge
TIME: 8:12 PM

Your car having broke down, you were forced to take the hospitalities of Otis Grangerford. A man who appeared to be in his late-fifties, and owner of Grangerford's Gas. He wore oil stained overalls, a straw hat and kept a pair a gloves on him. His eyes, permanently glossed over and lazily fixed above a red bulbous nose and unkempt beard. Alcohol was heavy on his breath.

In spite of the time it took you to walk to the near desolate town, Otis has your car towed back to his disorderly service station in no time.

It was a dusty old building by highway 17, and the only place within 50 miles to get supplies. Seems like Otis knows this as well, because the building doesn't look like its had maintenance in decades. Dirt and grime cling to the old building, and vehicles in various states of disrepair are strewn about his lot. Yours becomes another.

The hooverville is within walking distance.

"What was that you were saying about a hotel? Ha, good luck fellow. Best you're gon' get is me towing your car to the hooverville and letting you sleep in a familiar place. Maybe your cousin had a tent out there?"

A few moments later, an older model police wagon comes driving towards the nearby shanty town.

---

The Hooverville
I am Communist as Dusty the Drifter

You wandered into Bryson Springs earlier this afternoon before night fell, and finding no available work at the Orchard or within the town, you head to the Hooverville after spotting the makeshift shanty town during your search.

It was a ramshackle conglomeration of sheet metal, found wood, and lived-in pick-up trucks that sprawled outwards from the Washhouse at the center of the shanties into random, disjointed streets. With the exception of the occasional welcoming nod, most people appeared to be kept to themselves and in their own miseries.

Before too long, you see an older ford model police wagon come rolling across the dirt field towards a camp near the grove out in the distance.

A fat man who was nearly bursting out of his uniform steps from the vehicle and makes his way over towards the camp.

SevenSocks as Henry Dowson

Riding into Bryson Springs just this morning in search of work, you were forced to take up temporary residence in the Hooverville after a fruitless day of job hunting. You saw a tent for rent, 25 cents a night, but as you approached, an older model police wagon comes bouncing across the dusty ground towards a camp a ways to the north by the orange grove.

A large officer with tight fitting clothes and a heavy revolver works his way out of the vehicle. A young woman in a homespun dress comes out of the biggest tent. She's sobbing.

From where you're at, you can just barely understand bits and pieces of what is being said.

"...he nearly killed my father! Ryan tried to force himself on me...that grove...Why aren't you listening!?"

"Now, now calm down, girl. No need to get loud." the hefty officer says with hands on his hips.

You also make out a man sitting in the passenger side of the cab.

---

State Station #39
DocBubonic as John Marcus
TIME: 4:00 PM

You arrive at Bryson Springs in the late afternoon driving your own squad car from San Francisco to the Substation.

A one-room jailhouse, this run-down, wooden shack is little more than a storehouse for the state police's old documents and surplus equipment. There is a single unoccupied cell and a desk. Otherwise, the room is a disorganized mass of poorly kept files. Outside, a shed houses lawn tools and whatever won't fit into the main building.

Buford Kraft, comes to greet you backing away from his desk and waddling towards the front of the station.

He is fat, pimpled and sweaty with oily black hair hanging around the sides of his head. Nothing clinging to the top. He carries a non-standard issue "Judge" revolver low-slung on his hip. You had heard the jokes about him, but so far the mess and appearances aside, he seems alright.

He wipes his palm off on his shirt, and then vigorously shakes your hand. "Sergeant Buford Kraft, pleased to meet you officer. Boys back at the station #22 radioed that I'd be getting some help out here. Not that I need it, mind you. I run a tight ship around these parts so nevermind whatever it is you might have heard." he says with toothy grin.

Getting acquainted at the station and driving around the nearby town, time passes relatively quickly. With no desk for you to use, you have yet to unpack your supplies.

The terms of the move ensured you would have a small property to stay in while you were stationed here. An abandoned shack with little of the way of utilities or furnishings.

TIME: 7:45 PM

You were surprised to find that the shack came with a working phone. You discovered it by its loud ringing. On the other line is Kraft who is on his way to pick you up.

Not long after, Buford is at your door.

"Let's go Officer Marcus, a hysterical gal out in the Hooverville called in about an assault." he says sighing at the effort this was taking.

You drive into the Hooverville on the outskirts of town riding in the passenger seat of an older model police wagon. When you arrive Buford tells you "wait here." as he steps out of the car.

He walks up to a sobbing young woman and places his hands on his hips as she pleas to him.

The window rolled down, you can make out what they are saying.

"Thank goodness, Officer Kraft. I'm glad you came." She says inbetween sobs.

"Yeah, yeah, girl, now what happened? Go on with it."

"He nearly killed my father! Ryan tried to force himself on me today! I told him no and I tried to fight him off, but then..." She grows silent for a moment and looks distant. "There was something else, something out there... took a man right up into the sky."

"What in god's name are you talking about girl?"

"I told you, I was... I was... My pa came to help and Ryan nearly killed him! Why aren't you listening!?"

"Problem is I am listening, listening to a load of poo poo, probably cooked up by that drunk father of yours."

"Just look at my pa, you can't deny he has been beaten! Please, just listen." The girl says pulling back the door on the big tent revealing a severely beaten man.

"Now, now calm down, girl. No need to get loud." the hefty officer says shaking his head. "I'll go talk to Ryan down at the Orchard to clear this whole mess up. Now go on and tend to your drunk old man."

----------

GM Notes
Bryson Springs Locations
  • Bryson Ranch
  • The Groves
  • Grangerford's Gas
  • State Station #39
  • Hooverville
  • The Washhouse
  • The Old Ghost Town

Outside of this list, the town has small shops and a few homes, but little else. Outside of the Hooverville, most people are friendly albeit miserable with the hard conditions of living.

---

My advice to you is to always be on the lookout for things. If something seems even remotely suspect with a scene, item or individual, roll to see if there is!

What you can't assess outright, you may be able to get information on from people.

Anytime you enter a new environment, I recommend at least a passing glance around your environment. Bryson Springs and the Hooverville are relatively small with most buildings stretched along the rail being abandoned or barely active.

Clues and Points of Investigation will usually become available after scrutiny of your environment, then noticing details about those things works the same way.

All in all, if you have any questions at all, just let me know!

---

OOC Thread

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Henry "Ham" Dodge's instincts prompt him to raise his hand as the cop car drives by. Cops had always been a source of support, Ham and them working together to see that the company got what it wanted. Now, as he saw it drive by, he realized for the first time that he no longer had any friends. And then he wondered if those old cops were friends.

As that thought faded as his hand fell to his side, Ham turned his attention to Mr. Grangerford. "Well Mister, perhaps I ought to head on in. If you could provide me with the tow I'd be more than happy to get the ride." He then sniffed the air again briefly and noticed the lingering scent of alcohol. "Or maybe I could drive the truck for you, get a feel for the roads. What do you say?"

I'd like to roll 1D6 to see if Otis is competent enough to actually drive. I don't want to be inconvenienced by a DUI pullover or, worse yet, an untimely death.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Apr 17, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
At Grangerford's Gas
Henry "Ham" Dodge
Time won't really matter so much. I'll specify it to either highlight the start of a scene or a change in afternoon to evening or something like that, or as I used in DocBubonic's opening post, to segue to different parts of scene in relation to time.

As far as a DUI goes, don't have to worry about it! Legislation for it at this time is kind of lax. The BAC is 0.15% right now, but check out this sweet poster the WPA put out in 1937, but more to the point, the reason you won't have to worry about that so much is because there is little in the way of law out here and they are slow to respond at that. As far as avoiding an untimely death... It does definitely happen, but the Hooverville is within walking distance of the station. He'll be able to tow you there without much effort.

However, if you'd like to roll to convince him to let you drive, maybe he's just drunk enough to let you, so feel free. Otherwise, he'll pull your car to the Shanties where you can see what's going on.

Otis looks at you with his glossed over eyes as a slow smile begins to spread across his face, "You kiddin' right? ...Are you kiddin'?" he asks, not really having to wonder why you might be asking.

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 17, 2014

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

It doesn't need to be funny, because it will probably just piss them off
Henry Dowson
Ruin: 0/6 Sanity: 0/6
21 Dollars

Bent in a sigh from the depressing dust and gloom wafting around, not to mention to myriad other smells floating around the encampment, Henry pays heavy consideration to sleeping under the stars tonight. Maybe the oppressive air would finally choke him to death, rather than hanging from his shoulders, weighing his step as it always did. One'd be forgiven for thinking a trip from sea to shining sea would leave some troubles behind, but forgiveness was the only solace one'd get. Even now some poor broad was screaming her heart out to the stained semblance of justice out in this rural scrap of land, and the overgrown potbelly was dismissing her. Boston knew how to treat a dame, and the french would be crying for blood. Out here, no one bothered, guess he wouldn't either.

Staggering sweaty and ragged to the smoldering pit, a prelude to the nightly bonfire, Henry dropped his weight in a dirty patch of dead grass, nodding along to a husband and wife pair entertaining the crowd. She was wailing away with a saddened song, her old man covering her on a beaten harmonica, both old and aged, their souls worn through, showing in their eyes.

Pulling a single dollar from his pocket, he'd drop the tip into the tin can by the husband's leg, turning his head to the sharp smelling bottle of hooch and mumbling.

"A consideration for your dearest gal'... how about a consideration in return?"

-1 dollar

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Henry Dowson
"That's a might big consideration, be careful who you flash that generosity around to out here. A lot of people are desperate, as far as a consideration for yourself..." he says looking up from his harmonica before turning towards the dumpy officer who had so callously disregarded the woman's pleas, "...I'd stay away from him. He's incompetent and has no problem "demonstrating" his authority. Especially to us out here in the Hooverville. Hell, trouble been coming this way and that so called officer of the law only done enough to keep folk quiet."

"What's a guy like you doing out here anyhow? I can see the wear on you, but don't look like that always been the case. You on the run?" he asks curiously before going silent, looking at the flame of the campfire crackle and dance. "Like I said, a dollar is fine tip for a song, and what with me asking you all these questions, maybe I should let you ask some."

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
John Marcus

Bryson Springs looked just as desolate as he was told. The place was barely a wide spot along the road, but that's probably why they needed state police instead of having their own officers. Kraft didn't seem that bad of a man. Maybe a little rough around the edges, but nothing Marcus couldn't handle. This post was definitely where they stuck people to forget about them, but Marcus knew he'd manage.

Out on the call, Marcus stood back while Kraft talked to the folks. Marcus listened to the girl, she was definitely hysterical. She wasn't in her right mind when this Ryan guy assaulted her. Definitely possible that she might've imagined she saw something. Possible that in the heat of things, they all started thinking something happened. Her story about something taking a man away doesn't seem like it could happen, but Marcus had a feeling that there was something more going on in this situation.

"Miss," Marcus stepped up and stopped the girl. "You said a man was taken away? Who would that man be specifically? Was it someone you know or was it just something you saw out of the corner of your eye?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
John Marcus
Wiping tears from her eyes she turns to address you, "Yes sir, my name is Annabelle Fabler. I- I don't know, it just all happened so fast. Ryan held me down and I screamed. There were two men not far from here..." she pauses to collect her thoughts, "A man with a lantern was walking down the street. I saw him and I thought I might be saved, and there was another man, I could hardly see him, looked like he was in the shadows and he just leaned up against that old truck over there." She points.

"Ryan didn't notice them... I thought... I really thought, I might have been saved. The man with the lantern, I didn't know him, but then him and the man in the shadows just fell into one another kind of and then he was gone. He just lifted into the sky." She says looking up with a listless gaze.

"You had enough of this girls nonsense?" Officer Kraft asks you with an impatient tone. "We need to go find that Spelling boy and sort this mess out."

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Henry "Ham" Dodge

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6

"I don't think I am kidding," Ham responds, perhaps more gruffly than he should have. He holds his hand out expectantly for the key.

Roll 1d6 to convince Otis

Also, I'm assuming Ham has some money on him, but I'll leave it to you to decide what would be reasonable for a man to have after a cross-country trip in 1930s America.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
GM Notes
N. Senada makes a valid point about monies so I rolled what I felt appropriate, but then I re-rolled and re-rolled again(and again) because you ended up with a lot of money.

Ham gets 8 dollars.
Marcus gets 10 dollars.
Dusty gets 2 dollars.

$1.00 in 1935 is worth $17.25 today.
Inflation Calculator

---

The Hooverville
Henry "Ham" Dodge
He fixes his mouth in a surprised position briefly, but then concedes if with just a hint of bitterness and mumbling.

"Fine... I'll hitch your drat car and let you tow it out to the Hooverville, but if you're driving, I'm drinking. You're rather ornery for a man who was broken down on the side of the road!" he says complaining but not putting up much else of a fight as he hands you the keys to the tow truck.

A few moments later he has your car hitched and you pull into the shantytown.
http://orokos.com/roll/183479: 1d6 4

As he lowers your car to the ground, you see one of the hooks and chains twisted up in the wheel well. Looks like he hooked it up wrong in his drunkenness. In any case, your home on wheels was in an empty plot of the Hooverville not too far from where the police ended up.

You see a sobbing woman talking to two of the officers. One looking rather impatient as the other probes this girl for information.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Henry "Ham" Dodge
Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6

Guess that's a good way to ensure business, Ham thought as he examined his now further-damaged vehicle.

"Thanks for the tow, pal," Ham sarcastically states as he hands a bill to Otis. "Have fun getting back to the station."

Seeing the damsel and officers nearby, Ham decides to check out the situation. His thoughts turn to his cousin - Paul Dodge - and he wonders if these folk might know about him.

He glances around him, looking for anything else that might be out of the ordinary. He walks towards the impatient officer and holds out a small pouch of chewing tobacco.

"Hello officer. Would you care for a pinch?"

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 18, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Henry "Ham" Dodge
Otis waves dismissively at you with his back already turned as he climbs into the tow truck and swerves out of the Hooverville. He'd probably make it home alright.

You approach the officer who turns to you in a small amount of surprise. "Jumping Jehoshaphat, don't sneak up on a man like that, but uh... Yeah, don't mind if I do. Thank you kindly, Buford Kraft, local authority. Now you probably don't need me to tell you that we are in the middle of some police work."

The man sticks a fat finger into your pouch and fills his lip with the dip. "So, you probably just aren't going around handing out tobacco. What can I do you for?"

John Marcus
A man who looked like he could get hot under his collar approaches Kraft and they begin talking.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

I can show you what endless looks like
I can show you a single infinite thing
I can let you taste the sweet and sour of forever
Unending. Eternal. Inevitable
Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Fall into me. Into my eyes
Look at them. Depths unfathomable
Pain immeasurable
A cruel promise fulfilled
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork

Dusty was making his way towards the wash house. Finding a place to sleep would come next. As he neared it he could see the commotion. Cops. But something about the girls voice made him abandon anonymity and go over there.

Dusty only heard the tail end of it but it reminded him of things, no feelings he would rather live without.

Walking near the tent like he was going somewhere, Dusty looked on the ground. Maybe this Ryan or the girl's pa dropped something. Hopefully money...

Roll 1d6 to look around. Maybe for something valuable that caused the fight. He's not being too stealthy.

Do we roll or do you roll Doc Idle?

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 17, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
You can roll or I can roll. If you want to roll, just roll and link the results. If you want me to roll, just let me know and I'll do it.

You approach the tent and begin looking around for anything useful. An officer is speaking with the young woman and a severely beaten man and his family are in the large tent you're skulking about.

The other officer is talking to another stranger. Maybe one of the Okies, but he too doesn't appear to be from around here.

P.S., I love your inventory lol.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson
20 Dollars

"Yeah, sure, I've a few things to run from. A few things to forget as well, so I was thinking a little stronger considerations were in order."

Henry takes to his casual brashness, lifting the half empty jug of whatever burning brew the locals managed to distill out of oranges or wheat to imbibe.

"And unless you know a secret stream what where scotch bubbles up through the rocks, I haven't too much else to ask of you... Hmm, but what's your guess that lass is on about?"

A few shared swigs of the swill between himself, the older man and his wife, Henry finds that old sullen nerve of drinkers the world over, watching the local law finally turn his attention fully from the distraught woman, passing on her for the first distraction to tap his back. Right peached up and back in his old mental suit and tie, he'd straighten up the collar of his dirty button shirt and stagger his way to the commotion.

"'Scuse me miss, but whats all this trouble I hear what about some jerry bloke taking to you improper?"

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Henry Dowson
The man lets out a rasp after a long pull from the jug and looks over at the girl, "Couldn't rightly say myself. Saw her come back running home in a fit from that Orchard earlier though."

The drink coursing in your blood, you stand up and approach the woman who was crying to the officers. She looks up at you somewhat surprised as you question her but then she begins to speak.

"A man who works in the Groves for the Bryson's his name is Ryan Spelling. He- he assaulted me."

"Uh, who is this guy? Hold on a minute, Excuse me sir? Excuse me!" shouts the larger officer. Approaching you he mumbles, "It's a god damned party out here tonight..."

---

Henry "Ham" Dodge
A seemingly inebriated man approaches and begins to question the girl drawing Buford away from you.

John Marcus
A drunken man approaches and begins to question Annabelle Fabler about her assault out in the Orchard.

Dusty
A commotion is picking up just in front of the tent now. A drunkard has approached and is questioning the girl.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty looks on the ground a bit more, hoping to find at least something. He looks up, interrupted as he sweeps his hand in one quick motion to grasp something, anything that could be money or something valuable. The commotion could be about anything. For some reason against all of his reason, Dusty was curious. A couple cops, a drunk, and possibly another Okie all mixed in. Dusty kept quiet and stood there watching.

Last ditch search, don't know if I found anything really. http://orokos.com/roll/183623: 1d6: 3

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Henry "Ham" Dodge
Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6

As Bufort turned away, Ham had fleeting memories of high school and his old Sadie-Hawkins' partner leaving him with a hard prick and a lonely night ahead. Well Ham'd be damned before he got left without satisfaction tonight. He begins to reach for the officer but catches glimpse of the woman's tears.

Reviewing the scene, Ham realizes this might be more serious than he originally thought. He thought for a second to speak to the officer, but instead waits for a more opportune moment. Had he been back home he would've thought nothing of pulling an officer away from a civilian and chatting. But he remembered that he was a civilian here too.

That a drunkard pulled Buford away seemed somehow appropriate. It's the second time today an alcoholic Okie has mussed up something for him. He spits on the ground and uses his tongue to play with the tobacco. He looks down at the pouch. Copper helped himself to quite a bit, Ham reflected with frustration.

Ham looks back up and sees another stranger, this one doesn't look inebriated. Hesitantly, Ham holds the pouch out to him.

"Stranger, trade you some dip if you can tell me something about a man named Dodge."

Hi Dusty! :)

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson
20 Dollars

"Now that's a poor show, hittin' a lady. If this were Boston we'd be pitching him out on his face. Where is the muggy prick?"

Henry staunchly disregards the officer. Whether it was the drink obfuscating his situational awareness, or a deliberate retort against the man, who knew.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"Miss, you can go ahead and take care of your dad. We'll deal with the situation here and have a talk with Ryan. Go ahead."

After the girl leaves, he looks at the guys who just showed up.

"Don't you gentlemen have something more important to do then getting involved with police business? We're here and we'll deal with the situation."

He then looks at Henry.

"I don't know how they do things where you're from, but here the police handle things. We're going to find out what happened and handle it according to the law. If you start a fight or cause any trouble, then you'll be seeing the inside of a jail cell real quick."

Missed the update I was looking for yesterday, but I'm caught up now. Also I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but my dude is a police officer and he's gonna respond like a police officer.

DocBubonic fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Apr 18, 2014

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty greets the man asking about a guy named Dodge and admits he doesn't know him. He doesn't take the chaw but thanks him for it anyway. "They call me Dusty but we shouldn't get involv-"

Then the cops have them in their sights. He sighs. Too late. Deferring to the officer(John) berating his newest acquaintance(Ham) Dusty makes conciliatory gestures. "No ones gonna step in your way Officer. No harm in just lookin' Can't blame this fella or that one for being outraged. Terrible thing. Lots of bad things, cause men to drink and worse."

Dusty turns towards the Drunk(Henry) he hasn't met. "Looks like the badges have it under control friend. Maybe you and my friend here can look at getting back to business of our own and let them handle the big work." He winks where the police can't see it.[The message is clear. Get clear of the police, then talk.]

He puts his hand in his pocket dropping whatever he grabbed into it. Without looking to see if the other two follow him, Dusty makes his way to the other side of the wash-house. If they followed, good. If not, good.

Going to give this a shot. But if Doc Idle wants to arrest us all to put us all together I'm up for that too. Doesn't seem to be a good way to meld the group together at this point.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

On the contrary, that's exactly the kind of response I was anticipating.

Henry Dowson
20 Dollars

"And rightly what kind of threat do you figure that is? A good cot and a roof over me head? No... Now you'd best handle this Spelling fellow right, or I'll be wearing his teeth for cufflinks."

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty's eyes go wide but he quickly recovers. Looking from the large Cop(Kraft) to the policeman(Henry) that was getting hard with his new friend(Ham) and likely harder by the minute. Ordering around the police while threatening to go after someone if they didn't do as you asked was a trip down to pain-town.

There was nothing left to do but keep his mouth shut. He'd seen plenty of men get hard with the law. It was what the law often did back that made Dusty go mum.

Oh?

edit: can I just say that I've overheard everyone's names at this point?

I am Communist fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 19, 2014

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Hooverville
Dusty
You bend down quickly and pick up the only object you can find in the dirt without drawing much attention to yourself.

A dirty and slightly misshapen piece of wood, that was partially whittled, but then whoever was whittling it must have stopped and just cast it aside.

Soon after, you're conversing with a man who offered you dip.

Henry Dowson
The girl starts to speak but then the officer who was there interrupts her and dismisses her.

John Marcus
"Oh, Yes sir. I-- Just let me know if you have any other questions. I ain't mean to cause no trouble, but please..." Annabelle says before turning towards the tent to see to her father.

The drunken man seems lively and has no problem getting in your face about his convictions. It's at this point that Buford unhooks his baton.

Henry Dowson
"Look you drunk sonuva' bitch. You make any more trouble, you'll be seeing a few more stars in the night sky." The fat lawman says to you beating his baton into the palm of his hand.

Henry "Ham" Dodge
The more vagrant, but sober of the group unfortunately doesn't recognize the name and suggests that you two not get involved, at least he started to before the larger lawman draws his nightstick against the drunk who was making a scene about the assaulted woman. You see Dusty begin to start heading away from you all headed down one of the improvised streets towards the bath house.

Dusty
So far, Ham is the only one who's tossed his name out and you two spoke directly so you know his. I don't think there will be a problem grouping you all sooner than later.

Quieting down, you watch the scene unfold halting your departure briefly.

---

The Washhouse
Dusty
TIME: 8:45 PM

In the center of the Hooverville is the wash house. One of the first uses of California's WPA money. It is an unappealing, concrete bunker set over a spring. The building houses a number of toilets, showers, and a trough for filling water buckets split across two rooms for Men and Women.

When you arrive, you hear a loud thud coming from inside the room on the Men's side and no one else seems to be around. There is no light on either. Both sides of the wash house are dark.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty looked into the dimness of the Washhouse, squinting. He reached into one of his pockets brandishing his knife spoon. He didn't even realize what he was holding as he made his way into the Washhouse. With his other hand he tried to hit the light switch. He didn't call out. (Just in case it was...you know. Wouldn't be the first time he stepped in on a couple of fellas playing tug the rope together!)

Doc, I'd like you to do the roll on this one. Mystery1d6!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Washhouse
Dusty
Look in the Dark: 1d6 1

Slowly, you enter into the men's side of the wash house. Spoon in one hand, the other searching the walls blindly for a switch.

You see a large mass fly past you and collide into the ceiling of the wash house before crashing down again with a sick sounding crunch. Something splatters on your face. Before too long, the shadowy mass collides back into the ceiling and drags around at the top before crashing once again to the floor.

You still haven't found the switch, but something splatters against you. What do you do?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Carefully, Dusty begins to back out the way he came. Brandishing his trusty knife spoon at the ready. He couldn't see but knew something hosed up was going on in the wash house. Luckily there were some cops nearby. They were paid to do this sort of thing, not him!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Washhouse
Dusty

You begin backing out of the washhouse, when the mass that had been sliding and crashing all around the Wash house stops. Suddenly in the shadows, a blur. Something advancing towards you.

Do you want to roll or do you want me to roll. Keep in mind, I rolled a 1 last time lol. Also what was your profession prior to bumming it?

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"S-s-s-s-tay back!" He pointed the weapon at whoever it was.

yeah you can roll. Dusty as a job gutted and butchered fish at a cannery in Maine.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

"I'm guessing this is why you're here and not back home. You need to learn some manners. Right now I don't have the time to teach you any and by that I mean beat you until you black out. Then I'd throw you into a cell. Unless you think you can take us both. And if you managed that, then you're going to be a wanted man. You wouldn't be going to some local jail, they'd send you someplace really bad or they might just figure you ain't worth the effort and execute you. Now I'm figuring you're smarter then that. If you're smart, you'll shut your trap and follow me to see this Ryan fellow. I'm gonna go down and talk to him. If you want to be of some use, you could follow me and if he gives me trouble you could help me arrest him. Now, I'd be very thankful if you were around to help me out. I might be thankful enough to see to it you got a good meal in you and a place to stay tonight. Those are your options. I suggest you make up your mind quick before my partner decides for you."

John turns and begins to walk towards where Ryan is said to be.

"I'm going to talk to Ryan then, unless you decide to cause more trouble for us."

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Washhouse
Dusty
Escape unscathed: 1d6 6
Well, aren't you lucky. Do you always want me to roll or will you specify?

Your steps were certain, absolute in their position and on even ground. You firmly plant them one after another inching backwards away from the chamber.

Then some blood stained blur of a human figure emerges from the washhouse.

The air around the creature waves unnaturally, as if reality decided on its shape at the last second. Straining your eyes for a few moments, the appearance seems to settle on that of a man-sized artist's perspective doll, limbs expertly carved from wood and scored with crude, asymmetrical slashes depicting features.

It sways wildly, skittering forward on feet that barely touch the ground, limbs gyrating wildly, as it caries a heaps of kneaded flesh upward into the sky.

The sky above it looks unlike anything you've ever seen and in seconds, the twisted shape is gone into the mysterious ocean of black.

Make a sanity check(or I will)

The Grove
John Marcus & Henry Dowson
"That's a mighty fine idea. I think you should go on and take him, the drunk might get into trouble elsewhere and that's just another headache I ain't got time for."

"Boy you get out of line and I'll give you a few strikes to set you in line. You're coming with us to go sort out this mess at the Grove. I ain't feel like driving though... Y'all get in." Buford orders.

A few minutes of bouncing across the patchy soil, you find yourself at the Bryson Estate. Kraft wastes no time with the owners and heads towards the Barn where Spelling and the other remaining ranch hands are playing penny poker atop an overturned industrial spool.

Ryan Spelling is a handsome young man in a half-buttoned shirt and chaps, he has a wry grin plastered across his face. Stepping out of the police wagon, you hear him bragging about some thing.

"...and there she was, just begging for it." he says before proceeding to speak about some rather graphic subject matter that the other farmhands just shake there heads at, turning their faces in disgust.

Spelling seems unaffected by the stares, and tosses in two pennies as one of the older men deals out another hand of cards.

"You two go deal with it, I'm going to uh, radio in... take down some of the notes for paperwork." Kraft says.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty
SCREAMING THIS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoG3UB8CYnI

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

Dusty begins screaming as loud as he can. Like some kind of nightmare he doesn't have his knife in his hand but a spoon! He must have mixed it up in the dark somehow from all the fear. "A killer! Its a murderer! Help!" Then the thing floated up and away like...nothing he'd ever seen before. He sat down heavily, clutching the spoon tightly.

Yeah you can roll for me from here on out. It feels smoother to me that way. If I fail the sanity check I'll roleplay it out (of course).

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ham

At Hooverville
Ham spits the rest of tobacco onto the ground, crushing it down with the heel of his boot. Everybody seems to be in a goddamned hurry tonight, Ham thinks, I was under the impression these shanty towns were filled with nothing but thumb-twiddling. Ham returns to his car and checks on his belongings, making sure his pitiful supplies are tucked away in the glove box. Though he has very little, he thinks that these people seem to have even less. Wouldn't want to entice any of them with his dwindling supply of tobacco or meager stash of licorice. He locks the glove compartment with his key. He looks at driver's seat and wonders how much longer he's going to have to sleep on that thing.

While he's ruminating he hears a loud scream coming from the bathhouse. Having seen the police already speed off, Ham doubted if there's anything like security amongst these folk. He grabs the weapon from under a seat and runs to the man's scream, wondering what the hell he's doing.

Considering Ham's past as a union-buster, I'm assuming he has something like a billy club or gun in his possession. Let me know if that's not cool and it'll just be a tire iron or something. I also would prefer for you to roll if that's okay.

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Washhouse
Dusty
Insanity: 1/6
Nothing to roll for you just go up a point, anything will be higher than your current score of 0. Feel free to show us the beginnings of crazy!

Huddled down in the dirt with your spoon, staring in disbelief, you tremble. There's blood on your shirt, and more trickling off of your face from where you were splattered. A few moments later a young Chinese woman appears spotting you from a distance and then she runs into the bath house flipping on the light only to stammer out screaming loud enough to alert everyone in the Hooverville.

You were in no position to notice, but the man who offered you dip has appeared.

Henry "Ham" Dodge
TIME: 8:48
Making your way down the improvised street as fast as you can with your pistol. You end up at the Washhouse after two terrified shrieks and spot Dusty the vagrant sitting in the dirt clutching a spoon, trembling with blood on his person.

A young Asian girl emerges from the bath house frenzied. She is clutching a briefcase soaked in blood scanning the area neurotically. She is speaking at times in her native tongue, then in partial english, and then in sobs and shouts.

Yeah, I can roll. It'd be no problem :)

What do you do?

Idle Amalgam fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Apr 20, 2014

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 1/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"NO!" He rocked back and forth. Images of his dead wife and the Blackman and all his dark things. "The devil did it!" His eyes were wide and rolling. "Killed my wife now his fallen are here! Covered in the blood of the innocent he's come for me!" He nearly ended with a high pitched shriek. He covered his head and moaned. A terrible head ache coming on.

He was sweating. Adrenaline and the stress getting to him. Dusty needed an anchor even if he didn't consciously know it. He shook and shivered, the shock a blow to everything he ever knew...

Crazy talk time!

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

John Marcus

On the way over to see Ryan, John tells the new comer,

"I'm John Marcus by the way."

When John walked up and heard Ryan be unrepentant and sound like an rear end in a top hat, he was sorely tempted to let the tramp just beat on Ryan. John decided to hold off on that until he heard Ryan talk.

"Ryan. You, me, and this gentleman would like a talk with you." John didn't bother to hide his disgust. Ryan sounded like a guy who needed a beating.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ham

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6

"Christ son, where are you hurt?" Ham exclaims as he begins patting down the stranger. "Stop talking, you're speaking nonsense!" He grabbed Dusty the chest and pushed him down. "Just breathe, son, breath!" After looking him over, Ham turned his attention to the Asian woman. "Ma'am, sit down for just a second, calm down. Do you speak English? Eeen-Gla-Ish?"

This is all cuckoo, Ham thought, some chink holding a bloody suitcase and that dirty stranger covered in blood.

I want to search for wounds on Dusty and look around for anything that might be problematic. Same for the Asian woman if I can. My goal is to calm down them both as best I can.

SevenSocks
Apr 25, 2012

Henry Dowson
20 Dollars

"Name's Henry, and not much else."

Even as under the thumb of the drink as he was, and for that matter, had been, Henry does take liberty of the car ride to eye over the surrounding area. He'd avoided the grove during his search for work, hearing from a number of drifters that it was devoid of any opportunity, so this little jaunty introduction happened to be his first stroll through the trees. Hopping out a short bit after the cop wagon dusts to a halt, Henry shifts over slowly towards the barn side, just off from the door, leaning on a stack of two by fours.

"Jolly cop wants your attention first, pay no mind to me."

Henry waves Ryan's stare away, pointing towards the policeman.

I am Communist
Apr 19, 2002

Taste my darkness
Climb into my abyss
Pain immeasurable
Dusty

Ruin 0/6 Sanity 1/6
Inventory:
Empty flask
Cannery knife
String
Old spoon & fork
$0.00

"Looked like a man but it weren't no man!" His eyes blazed into his unnamed friend's as he hoarsely whispered the words. As he let himself be pushed down, he calmed. "I...didn't catch your name OR I...don't remember. After it- like a dream, fading away. Or I've been dreaming someone else's dream. Only its a nightmare." Dusty was losing focus.

Ok less crazy now extremely rattled. Also asking for Ham's name.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Ham
Ruin 0/6 Sanity 0/6

"Name's Dodge. Some folk's call me Ham." Ham continued to check the stranger for any knife wounds or other problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
The Washhouse
Dusty & Ham
TIME: 8:50 PM

The woman clutches the blood stained briefcase tightly, raving if anyone gets near her. Onlookers and other Okies are starting to approach.

Dusty
Your head still swam with madness and visions of the impossible.

Ham
Given your background as a Union Buster, I figure you may actually know how to be a useful union representative. Acting on behalf of the well-being of the employee until they want to claim their "entitled" work rights, so I rolled with your profession die as well.
Standard Die; Profession: 1d6 6 1d6 4

You see blood on the man's face and on his clothing, splattered on and not his. He ranted about a murderer and spoke nonsensically. Eventually he calms down and asks for your name, kind of.

---

The Barn - Bryson Ranch
Henry Dowson & John Marcus
TIME: 8:35

Ryan puts down his hand of cards and some of the older men exchange looks with one another, grinning smugly at Ryan who seemed to be a bit flustered.

"Alright... I don't see why though. What can I do you for officer?" Ryan says stepping forward, hands in his pockets, thumbs hanging through his belt loops, pulling him forward occasionally in an attempt to appear dominant in the conversation.

His eyes shift between the two of you as he stands by one of the ranch horses.

• Locked thread