Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Oh, I was a bad dude who had like 8 traps that I picked up everyday. I hated running out of food, and my farms wasn't cutting it for me.

Are the backpack/amulet mods working, anyway?

Tired Moritz fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Met posted:

Yeah, I guess that would add replayability and bring in new people. Can't have that.

DST has been adding content at a steady rate on the beta branch. It's for a new expansion which used to be called Through the Ages but now it's called something else, I forget.

Anyway, adding SW to DST would be a bad decision. Adding caves to DST ended up being monumentally difficult, and required a complete rewrite of much of the server code. I don't want them to have to go through something similar.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hey got a dumbass question for which I can only seem to find ambiguous answers online. Is DST cross platform? My brother has it on PS4 and I've got it on Steam. If it is cross-platform, how does that even work? I know precisely dick about linking up from a steam account to a playstation network account and all that crap.

I only ask because I did see a couple things from the way back that said it was intended to be cross-platform so I was hoping somebody had some concrete answers at this point.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 23, 2016

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

It is cross-platform in the sense that it runs on multiple platforms, but if you have it on Steam and you want to play it on PS4, you also have to buy it on PS4 separately.

I think for multiplayer they use the same servers though, so if you want to play with your brother then you should be able to.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Girlfriend and I had a good set up going when during our first winter, the hounds and the deerclops attacked in the night at the very same time.

What could we have done? We ran for it but then our torches ran out and we died seconds from dawn. And then I died running from the touchstone due to the cold.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I leave a chest with basic gear at any respawn point to avoid respawning just to die again. Also gently caress the giants in general and especially in multi.

Connoisseur
Oct 2, 2010

"Every minute we waste could be the difference between a soldier goin' home alive or goin' home in a bag."

Artificer posted:

Girlfriend and I had a good set up going when during our first winter, the hounds and the deerclops attacked in the night at the very same time.

What could we have done? We ran for it but then our torches ran out and we died seconds from dawn. And then I died running from the touchstone due to the cold.

If you aren't in a good shape to fight the giants (or hounds), the best bet is to get their attention and then make them lose aggro on another enemy like pigs, bees, merms, tentacles or spiders. This leaves them in a neutral state and should make them leave you alone for the rest of the season provided they are far enough from your base. For Deerclops in particular, his attacks have an AoE which means that it's easy to make him attack a bee or spider hive, or any mob-housing structure really. You should have enough winter gear to survive the cold though or at the very least torches so you can burn evergreen trees for heat.

Connoisseur fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Jan 11, 2017

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Connoisseur posted:

If you aren't in a good shape to fight the giants (or hounds), the best bet is to get their attention and then make them lose aggro on another enemy like pigs, bees, merms, tentacles or spiders. This leaves them in a neutral state and should make them leave you alone for the rest of the season provided they are far enough from your base. For Deerclops in particular, his attacks have an AoE which means that it's easy to make him attack a bee or spider hive, or any mob-housing structure really. You should have enough winter gear to survive the cold though or at the very least torches so you can burn evergreen trees for heat.

I only ever find that the tentacles work (at least in successfully killing him). The big guy and spiders seem very disinclined to fight, while the others are distractions at best.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
How is multiplayer for this? I love this game but have no one to play with. I gifted it to a friend through steam to try it and then I asked if they wanted to play and he said no.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
very fun but very limited. you will have a number of good experiences but when it's over it will fall off immediately

you can still find a lot of public servers if that's what you're asking

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫
How does coop work when someone dies?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Catberry posted:

How does coop work when someone dies?

Spooky ghost of the person appears, controlled by the dead player. Can be resurrected with a few ways. Drags down everyone's sanity at faster speeds the more ghosts are on the field.

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

Artificer posted:

Spooky ghost of the person appears, controlled by the dead player. Can be resurrected with a few ways. Drags down everyone's sanity at faster speeds the more ghosts are on the field.

Neat.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Is there a way to turn that off?

I've got a huge group of friends who want to play but five ghosts kinda stops you from doing anything.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

dogstile posted:

Is there a way to turn that off?

I've got a huge group of friends who want to play but five ghosts kinda stops you from doing anything.

Ghosts can revive themselves at the touchstone, those aren't single use in multiplayer, or by haunting an automatic revival item on the ground(meat effigy or life amulet). They shouldn't hand out around other player and drain their sanity for no reason, although living players can create a telltale heart at cost of some life, that item revives a ghost too.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
you can also play wilderness which spawns you on different ends of the map but has no death penalty IIRC.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I ought to update the OP, this is a statement of intent so I remember to do it.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

you probably wont do it because there's nothing fun to say

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Any goons still playing this on the regular?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Somebody got me back into it yesterday, hence my checking this thread. Is all this wardrobe stuff cosmetic? I made a science machine and found some boots, and the other dude found a shirt.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Somebody got me back into it yesterday, hence my checking this thread. Is all this wardrobe stuff cosmetic? I made a science machine and found some boots, and the other dude found a shirt.

Yep, cosmetic!

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Doesn't look like this thread is super active these days, but I've got a few questions now that I've finally figured out how to get into this game.

I'm currently sitting pretty with a fairly strong base/seed. I've got 2 farms, and a herd of Muffalo not that far away I can go to for more manure in the future.

I've got a Tallbird zone directly to my west thats connected directly to the Pig Village, which leaves them in a constant war. Which means nonstop pig parts/meat for me

The Village also has a berry field in it, which nets me 10-15 berries per every few days.

To my bases south is a field with 10-15 burrows I have 5+ traps in.

West of that field immediatly is a pond that has never spawned a frog, but gives constant fish.

I've got basically endless food, and have made a crockpot to capitalize on it. Meatballs are my new daily meal, and I'm trying to get a Jerky Rack/Icebox up soon to store them, as I assume food gets harder to find come Winter.

My question is where do I go from here? I have some beehives near me, but no idea how to deal with them. I found a cave, but that seems terrifying to me. What's the goal I should be pushing torwards now that I have the "Don't Starve" out of the way.

Also since I'm on day 15 or so now, does experience stack? Can you unlock multiple characters at once?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Rookersh posted:

I found a cave, but that seems terrifying to me. What's the goal I should be pushing torwards now that I have the "Don't Starve" out of the way.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Rookersh posted:

Doesn't look like this thread is super active these days, but I've got a few questions now that I've finally figured out how to get into this game.

I'm currently sitting pretty with a fairly strong base/seed. I've got 2 farms, and a herd of Muffalo not that far away I can go to for more manure in the future.

I've got a Tallbird zone directly to my west thats connected directly to the Pig Village, which leaves them in a constant war. Which means nonstop pig parts/meat for me

The Village also has a berry field in it, which nets me 10-15 berries per every few days.

To my bases south is a field with 10-15 burrows I have 5+ traps in.

West of that field immediatly is a pond that has never spawned a frog, but gives constant fish.

I've got basically endless food, and have made a crockpot to capitalize on it. Meatballs are my new daily meal, and I'm trying to get a Jerky Rack/Icebox up soon to store them, as I assume food gets harder to find come Winter.

My question is where do I go from here? I have some beehives near me, but no idea how to deal with them. I found a cave, but that seems terrifying to me. What's the goal I should be pushing torwards now that I have the "Don't Starve" out of the way.

Also since I'm on day 15 or so now, does experience stack? Can you unlock multiple characters at once?

Winter is coming. You want a good stockpile of wood for armor, weapons, and fire fuel. You may also want to work on other ways to stay warm and sane during the long dark nights. I usually do multiple jerky racks since it takes several days to make just one. Oh, and a bird in a birdcage can make life a lot easier.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
What do I keep when I go through Maxwells Door?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, if you're at the point where you "have plenty of food and even built a crock pot!" prepare to get wrecked in winter and if you make it through that get stomped on by a giant.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Rookersh posted:

What do I keep when I go through Maxwells Door?

nothing, save special items like willow's lighter. however, the permanent upgrades that WX gets from eating gears will persist, iirc.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Rookersh posted:

What's the goal I should be pushing torwards now that I have the "Don't Starve" out of the way.

Heh!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Godspeed, Rookersh.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Got home from work after posting that, ran over to the Tallbirds, grabbed an egg, and got two shot because I didn't want to run the full 3 zones so instead I tried bribing the pigs to help me. Forgot I had to stand still to give meat.

:suicide:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Rookersh posted:

Got home from work after posting that, ran over to the Tallbirds, grabbed an egg, and got two shot because I didn't want to run the full 3 zones so instead I tried bribing the pigs to help me. Forgot I had to stand still to give meat.

:suicide:

Overconfidence is a slow and insidious killer.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
For future reference, caves themselves aren't that scary: the main thing about them is the lack of light. If you craft yourself a reliable light source like the miner's helmet, you can get around them fairly safely.

The ancient ruins below the caves are a different story...

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The Cheshire Cat posted:

For future reference, caves themselves aren't that scary: the main thing about them is the lack of light. If you craft yourself a reliable light source like the miner's helmet, you can get around them fairly safely.

The ancient ruins below the caves are a different story...

There are ancient ruins below the caves?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

LLSix posted:

There are ancient ruins below the caves?

Indeed, and they are every bit as awful and terrifying as you'd expect the area that drops the really good crafting poo poo to be.

• Locked thread