Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Caves got released into beta two weeks ago, and yesterday ruins were added.

I think in a few weeks when things become stable, I might start playing again. I've been playing DST for a long time and I miss caves a lot. They add a completely new dimension to the game as well as exciting challenges.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
What's great about caves? I explored a cave system once, didn't find anything interesting and lost a ton of sanity. I understand the ruins grant access to some advanced crafting recipes, but I've never been there.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
There really isn't much incentive to explore caves other than boredom.

Some recipes should be changed to require materials from caves, or some materials need to be exclusive to caves such that it makes the late game much more difficult if you don't explore them. Otherwise they will continue to feel entirely optional.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Fano posted:

Otherwise they will continue to feel entirely optional.

90% of the game's content is optional. Nothing is preventing you from having a very basic camp and standing around your campfire eating nothing but berries, carrots and morsels year around. And yet you venture out and explore swamps, deserts and savannahs. The reason is that you want to be able to craft things that improve your quality of life. The caves have plenty such items, so that's a good enough reason to explore them. They also have some unique challenges, such as always-on darkness as well as earthquakes. Ruins have nightmare cycles and the ancient guardian. Etcetera.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

enraged_camel posted:

90% of the game's content is optional. Nothing is preventing you from having a very basic camp and standing around your campfire eating nothing but berries, carrots and morsels year around. And yet you venture out and explore swamps, deserts and savannahs. The reason is that you want to be able to craft things that improve your quality of life. The caves have plenty such items, so that's a good enough reason to explore them. They also have some unique challenges, such as always-on darkness as well as earthquakes. Ruins have nightmare cycles and the ancient guardian. Etcetera.

I highly doubt berries and morsels will keep you alive for very long when other seasons come around, the game in the surface world is designed to throw obstacles in your way that make surviving off of the grassland biome rather difficult, to survive longer you have to venture out and progress through the crafting tree to make higher tier items.

The problem is that the cycle of the seasons and giants can be easily overcome just by gathering materials from the surface world, you can go into caves but nothing you find there feels crucial to your survival up top.

I guess what I'm saying is that the risk/reward factor for caves and ruins is just heavily skewed against you, and it's entirely possible to sustain yourself indefinitely without them. I feel that this balance needs to be adjusted so that eventually journeying to the caves is key to survival, I'm not sure how I would do that though, to be honest.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Picked up this game again after a short break. What's the secret to doing well with Webber? Running around with a spider attack posse is fun, but they always eat anything good before I can grab it. Being unable to farm pigs for manure is a bit of a challenge too. My best run is probably about to end soon, it's almost winter and I have a base surrounded with spider nests, but not much in the way of sustainable food or insulation. There's a cave entrance nearby but the sanity drain is hard to deal with, my spelunking expeditions always end up with me on the verge of hallucination, making a mad dash to the surface.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

I don't understand how you can be surrounded by spider nests but not have sustainable food. You know Webber can eat monster meat without health and sanity penalty, right?

Also, use the space bar to quickly grab food items on the ground before spiders can eat it.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012
Hitting one pisses off the rest and I get swarmed faster than I can clear them. I do use the space bar, but unless I'm right in the thick of battle the spiders generally get to it first.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

The trick is to have your own small army of spiders and then hit a neutral one and start a war. While they fight and kill each other you can collect the drops.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

You can also just leave a bunch of traps around the nests and swing by them in morning for food.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Alaan posted:

You can also just leave a bunch of traps around the nests and swing by them in morning for food.

You can interrupt attacks by moving away before they connect and it is interpreted by your spiders as a "hit" but not by neutral spiders.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Also I know one of the Devs who told me aggro doesn't carry over. The AI only stores one at a time, so if you hit something you shouldn't but then can get it into a fight with something else, you're scot free.

TasmanianX
Jan 7, 2009

Just Kick 'Em
Wow, hadn't messed much with Rock Lobsters. Bringing a bunch of them to hang out near your base is the ultimate anti-giants. Just give the fuckers some stone and they'll make taking down Deerclops much easier(and probably the rest of them)

e:and the Morning Star is fun as hell. I just imagine it's a lightsaber

TasmanianX fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Oct 15, 2015

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

TasmanianX posted:

Wow, hadn't messed much with Rock Lobsters. Bringing a bunch of them to hang out near your base is the ultimate anti-giants. Just give the fuckers some stone and they'll make taking down Deerclops much easier(and probably the rest of them)

Say goodbye to your world, the RL's are coming.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

dogstile posted:

Say goodbye to your world, the RL's are coming.

I always hear horror stories about this happening but I've never actually seen anything come of it. The Rock Lobsters' multiplying seems to only bring about good things. Even attacking one by mistake is usually no problem because you can run a few screens away until they de-aggro fairly easily, they're super slow. Sure they'll eat every rock on the ground ever but by the time the multiplying begins in earnest you shouldn't have any rocks or gems lying around anyway, that's what chests are for.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
Looks like caves are in. Also, Shipwrecked is hitting early access December 1st.

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
Been playing this game again with some friends who got into it thanks to the free weekend.

Since the game has become rather routine for me I find it challenging to herd the newbies around and get them to not die.

I wish they had found a way to implement caves without requiring a dedicated server, though it seems that if you're just playing with a few friends it's not too difficult to set one up on your local machine.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Yeah, I'm thinking about starting to play this again. Caves expand the gameplay quite a bit imo and they should provide a sufficiently different experience with all the changes, not to mention other people.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

So has anybody else tried Shipwrecked yet?

It's a nice change of pace from RoG, but it feels incredibly unbalanced at the moment. Food is very easy to get, but other resources prove to be a lot harder to obtain.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Radiation Cow posted:

So has anybody else tried Shipwrecked yet?

It's a nice change of pace from RoG, but it feels incredibly unbalanced at the moment. Food is very easy to get, but other resources prove to be a lot harder to obtain.

It's an EA. So I'm sure it will get balanced. I wish this was an EA on OS X too. :\

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
my impression of the game so far: the noises the crabs make are hilarious

Alaan
May 24, 2005

Is anyone else missing all their unlocked characters with Shipwrecked installed? I don't know if my cloud or if it being early access means none of my extra roster.

Edit: looks like cloud syncing turned itself off because ???

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Is this gonna be like RoG, whereby it's alpha just now, but is free when they've ironed everything out, or is it something you need to pay for?

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Samovar posted:

Is this gonna be like RoG, whereby it's alpha just now, but is free when they've ironed everything out, or is it something you need to pay for?

RoG is paid content in the single player, as is Shipwrecked. RoG is only free in DST. Shipwrecked will likely not make it to DST though, I believe they are working on a separate update called Through The Ages for that.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They said they have eventual plans to bring all singleplayer content, including Shipwrecked, to DST. But yes, the next DST add-on will be Through the Ages, where you'll be able to do cool things like ride beefalos.

Alaan
May 24, 2005

They definitely succeeded in making a very different experience. I'm starting with the Librarian because gold can be a bit slow to find when you spend your movement time in an area with 0 resources and I want to see the new stuff sooner.

I do hope they soon change poison because as is it is a death sentence in the early game. I sure want to be losing life indefinitely because I have no chance even to find the venom sac needed to cure it. 14% drop on a snake that is already a rare spawn and I hadn't seen any of the other creatures that drop it on my map yet. So yellow snakes are currently in the category of just stay the gently caress away and hope I don't slip on attentiveness ever when cutting thorny bushes or jungle trees.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I THINK seashell armor blocks the bites.
Wiki says so, I think I got yellow snake bit without getting poisoned while wearing it.
But limestone armor definitely did NOT prevent it.

The next worse thing to poison are THOSE. loving. MONKEYS.

It's difficult enough getting between islands and finding gold and spider webs.
But worse, if those are on a monkey island then all hope is lost. Doing just about anything is near useless, monkeys are loving thieving bastards and they have overrun the whole drat place wherever they are, they are complete fuckers.

SpankyG
May 8, 2010
Anyone interested in not starving together? I've yet to make it farther than the first few days of winter. My steam ID is spankgsus. I checked the goon server, but it looks like it no longer exists??? :gary:

Fano
Oct 20, 2010
I think everyone is on hiatus until the next update, which no one knows when it'll be coming.

locally hosted maps work pretty well so I don't think having a goon-hosted server is necessary, unless we want to get some bigger games going spanning a large map on a mode like wilderness or something (which honestly sounds pretty cool).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
holy poo poo have they still not released the caves for dst? that was due like... april wasnt it

Fano
Oct 20, 2010

Verviticus posted:

holy poo poo have they still not released the caves for dst? that was due like... april wasnt it

caves are out, dedicated servers only, though.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

They merged the beta branch back into the main branch. So caves are now available to everyone.

They are saying the focus from now on will be new content. Today's patch added beefalo taming and riding. More to come.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61295-happy-holiday-update-dec-23-2015/

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm having a lot of fun with Shipwrecked, but I'm pretty terrible at it. The longest I've lived is something like 5 days as the Librarian. I do like how you're able to be super mobile with her early on because youre not tethered to a science machine

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I need shipwrecked on Mac or PS4 like now.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

enraged_camel posted:

They merged the beta branch back into the main branch. So caves are now available to everyone.

They are saying the focus from now on will be new content. Today's patch added beefalo taming and riding. More to come.

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/61295-happy-holiday-update-dec-23-2015/

what the gently caress is wrong with them

quote:

You'll still need to run the caves dedicated server as you have been for the last few weeks. Improvements to make that process more seamless for hosted games will be coming in the new year.

only clarified on page four after a dozen people are like "hey does this work yet"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
My best Shipwrecked run so far had the dumbest death. Made it to the first season change, sail a day away from the base to do stuff. Suddenly there's lightning and hail everywhere and everything is terrible. I end up dying at sea before making it back to my base. Luckily, I had a touchstone activated!

On an island with no flint. And no boat on its shores. And I'd kept putting off stocking any supplies there, because monkeys. It's quite a feeling knowing you're absolutely hosed but not dead yet. :rip:

Robot Randy posted:

I'm having a lot of fun with Shipwrecked, but I'm pretty terrible at it. The longest I've lived is something like 5 days as the Librarian. I do like how you're able to be super mobile with her early on because youre not tethered to a science machine
The easiest character for me has been Wigfrid. Starting with a helmet+spear is great since SW has such a high density of poo poo trying to kill you, and health/sanity gain on kills means you can live off snakes & spiders until you get a base set up. Longer-term it's nice to be able to craft a helmet without Pig Skin, since Wildbores seem rarer than pigs were in the base game. (And harder to kill because of their attack patterns)

Acne Rain posted:

The next worse thing to poison are THOSE. loving. MONKEYS.

It's difficult enough getting between islands and finding gold and spider webs.
But worse, if those are on a monkey island then all hope is lost. Doing just about anything is near useless, monkeys are loving thieving bastards and they have overrun the whole drat place wherever they are, they are complete fuckers.
The worst is that they outrun you, so you can't kill them unless you're insanely patient(taking an entire day to kill 1-2 monkeys) or have a ranged weapon.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Haifisch posted:

The worst is that they outrun you, so you can't kill them unless you're insanely patient(taking an entire day to kill 1-2 monkeys) or have a ranged weapon.

Walls. Wall off their escape or wall them away from your stuff.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
I am incredibly disappointed at the lack of grog in Shipwrecked right now.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Warly's been pretty disappointing so far. Having a portable crockpot is nice for exploration, but that's all he really has. His insulated backpack doesn't mean much with how common food is in Shipwrecked, and his hungers faster/gets more out of crockpot foods mechanic isn't very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

How's the surfer?

• Locked thread