Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

gnome7 posted:

If you can't kill him, he'll despawn after 10 days or so. Your best bet is to build a temporary retreat somewhere else and come back later.

EDIT: That said, you're probably screwed, because the hounds will probably strike before you can go back to your main base. Good luck!

Yeah, hounds did make a visit a couple nights after. It was the middle of night, I had no campfire, and my torch was about to die so I was pretty close to surrendering to the release of death. I decided that I wasn't going out like that, however, and so I used the last bit of my torch to set a tree ablaze and killed the gently caress out of the hounds under the illumination of a forest fire. I then set out to use my batch of monster meat from the hounds and the stock of my old base to recruit an army of pigmen to dislodge the Deerclops, but winter ended pretty quickly and so I had the company of a dozen pigmen while I rebuilt my base.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gobblecoque posted:

Yeah, hounds did make a visit a couple nights after. It was the middle of night, I had no campfire, and my torch was about to die so I was pretty close to surrendering to the release of death. I decided that I wasn't going out like that, however, and so I used the last bit of my torch to set a tree ablaze and killed the gently caress out of the hounds under the illumination of a forest fire. I then set out to use my batch of monster meat from the hounds and the stock of my old base to recruit an army of pigmen to dislodge the Deerclops, but winter ended pretty quickly and so I had the company of a dozen pigmen while I rebuilt my base.

If you died there, you would have already earned your seat in Valhalla. :black101:

I expect great things in your future.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think I've finally got the hang of this game, after like 30 games or more. ROG does really help with sanity: glommer and lots of green mushrooms in the deciduous area. I do still start in autumn, and I've realised that you need TONS of rocks to start off with, like more than 2 full stacks, and you'll still need more before winter. Building stone campfires, like 4+ from your base extending towards other food sources really helps for winter. 2 heat stones help a lot and it's good to have a couple of bases for if a giant pitches up at one of yours, and for winter again: when food runs out you can just move to another base. In my current game I still have to do the whole beardling-harvest for making a fake dude but I'm managing to be at full health and sanity at all times. it does really make a nice difference!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum
Nope, Frog rain pushed my poo poo in again. Spring is really hard.

escalator dropdown
Jan 24, 2007

Like all good stories, the second act begins with a call to action and the building of a robot.

redreader posted:

Nope, Frog rain pushed my poo poo in again. Spring is really hard.

IIRC, you can basically drop traps right on top of frogs with a little practice. Next frog rain, don't aggro them. Make some traps (and/or keep some on hand), and just clean them up one at a time once the rain stops.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One good way to deal with frog rain is to just run off somewhere you don't visit very often when it starts. It only generates the frogs in a fairly small area around you, so there won't be any near your base once it stops.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
Do moggles not work in the ruins? I put them on and my whole screen just reds out and the character acts like they're in the dark.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Holy poo poo summer. :stare: I think Don't Starve must take place on Mercury.

I was on my way back to my camp in the evening and was far enough away that night would set in before I got there. It was only then that I realized that I didn't have any torches on me or enough grass to make another because I had made a straw hat earlier in the day and I wasn't really thinking about light because the sun that had already set was burning me to death. I resurrected at a touch stone after getting killed by the darkness, but it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it anywhere before I overheat. It's a bit of an anticlimactic end after surviving Deerclops and a spider queen.

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 16:36 on May 31, 2014

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Gobblecoque posted:

Holy poo poo summer. :stare: I think Don't Starve must take place on Mercury.

I was on my way back to my camp in the evening and was far enough away that night would set in before I got there. It was only then that I realized that I didn't have any torches on me or enough grass to make another because I had made a straw hat earlier in the day and I wasn't really thinking about light because the sun that had already set was burning me to death. I resurrected at a touch stone after getting killed by the darkness, but it looks like I'm not going to be able to make it anywhere before I overheat. It's a bit of an anticlimactic end after surviving Deerclops and a spider queen.
That's the Real Don't Starve death, surviving a thousand trials only to die to starving or Charlie, then resurrect at a touchstone and freeze/burn.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Poison Mushroom posted:

That's the Real Don't Starve death, surviving a thousand trials only to die to starving or Charlie, then resurrect at a touchstone and freeze/burn.

I've started leaving a chest near the touchstones with a few essentials in it (an axe, spear, torch, stuff for a fire and some warm clothing just so I can get back to basecamp if I die in winter.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Don't Starve + Reign of the Giants is coming to the Vita later in the year.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/06/06/dont-starve-giant-edition-coming-to-ps-vita/

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'm having problems getting this to display in widescreen. On a pretty standard 16:9 monitor I'm getting black bars on the sides of the screen. I haven't played in ages but I don't remember this happening before.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'm having problems getting this to display in widescreen. On a pretty standard 16:9 monitor I'm getting black bars on the sides of the screen. I haven't played in ages but I don't remember this happening before.

In my experience, the in-game resolution selector is worthless. I play it fine on my 1920x1200 monitor but I have this in my Libraries/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarve/settings.ini:

fullscreen_width = 1920
fullscreen_height = 1200

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

redreader posted:

In my experience, the in-game resolution selector is worthless. I play it fine on my 1920x1200 monitor but I have this in my Libraries/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarve/settings.ini:

fullscreen_width = 1920
fullscreen_height = 1200

Thank you! This 100% fixed my problem.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
Have you guys ever had it where you restart the game and all your progress is just gone? I was doing really good with Woodie and had started to establish my first camp when I had to save and quit. When I went to restart, the game said it needed to update and when I launched it, the morgue and all of my character unlocks as well as my current game were gone. Is there any way to get this back?

edit- looks like its an issue with an update that went live today. Load into the game at your own risk.

edit- appears fixed

Inside Out Mom fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 13, 2014

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
Just got this for PS4 yesterday because was tired of waiting for the Vita version and my lone PC struggles with this game.

How the gently caress do traps work? I've only seen inspect/drop, no use on anything, and when I tried dropping it from inventory on day 2, it was still sitting there on day 7 with no changes (before I died to loving frogs). I know I've got to be missing something simple, I just don't know what.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

ShadowedFlames posted:

Just got this for PS4 yesterday because was tired of waiting for the Vita version and my lone PC struggles with this game.

How the gently caress do traps work? I've only seen inspect/drop, no use on anything, and when I tried dropping it from inventory on day 2, it was still sitting there on day 7 with no changes (before I died to loving frogs). I know I've got to be missing something simple, I just don't know what.

You just drop them. You can put bait in them after you drop them to lure stuff in, but I'd only ever do that when catching birds.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ShadowedFlames posted:

Do you mean the rabbit/bird traps? Try baiting them with carrots/seeds, or leaving the rabbit trap directly on top of a rabbit hole. I always have a few out over the rabbit holes near my base so I have a constant supply of morsels.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

You just drop them. You can put bait in them after you drop them to lure stuff in, but I'd only ever do that when catching birds.

No need to bait rabbit traps if you drop them on the hole for the ps4. You can, but I've run informal tests and found no real substantive difference. Carrots are better saved for the crock pot.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
So, apparently I used them in the wrong spot. Useful knowledge for my next go tonight. Thanks!

Spalec posted:

Do you mean the rabbit/bird traps? Try baiting them with carrots/seeds, or leaving the rabbit trap directly on top of a rabbit hole. I always have a few out over the rabbit holes near my base so I have a constant supply of morsels.

I mean the traps you can make with grass ("it's woven really tight!") pre-science machine, for reference. I think the bird trap needs the machine to make, though I can't check now as I'm at work.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

ShadowedFlames posted:

So, apparently I used them in the wrong spot. Useful knowledge for my next go tonight. Thanks!

I mean the traps you can make with grass ("it's woven really tight!") pre-science machine, for reference. I think the bird trap needs the machine to make, though I can't check now as I'm at work.

bird traps you need the machine for.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

ShadowedFlames posted:

It's not so much they are in a 'wrong' place, it's that the traps only work when an animal actually enters the trap. If you place them on top of a rabbit hole then a rabbit is extremely likely to enter the trap any time they emerge from the hole, but you could have placed the trap anywhere and then herded or lured the rabbit into the trap. The traps are most useful for running big spider farms, IMO. Spiders are really cheap because you get silk (used in crafting all the best stuffs), monster meat (can be converted into eggs and can also be used to fill one slot in each meat dish you make), and spider glands which are used in making very consistent, decently powerful healing items.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

It's not so much they are in a 'wrong' place, it's that the traps only work when an animal actually enters the trap. If you place them on top of a rabbit hole then a rabbit is extremely likely to enter the trap any time they emerge from the hole, but you could have placed the trap anywhere and then herded or lured the rabbit into the trap. The traps are most useful for running big spider farms, IMO. Spiders are really cheap because you get silk (used in crafting all the best stuffs), monster meat (can be converted into eggs and can also be used to fill one slot in each meat dish you make), and spider glands which are used in making very consistent, decently powerful healing items.

Can you breed spiders? I have tried everything I think of and not only do rabbits not breed, but they will seemingly seek out exits to whatever maze you put them in.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Spider nests not only naturally replace killed spiders but also grow which makes more (and tougher) spiders spawn from it (by the way, trapping spiders instantly kills them when harvested which is why traps are good for farming spiders). There is no breeding of either spiders or rabbits apart from their spawn points though - you can use traps on all the rabbits in a colony and eventually the rabbit population will come back, but two rabbits in a hay wall cage will not do anything but run away from you and be totally useless.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

Can you breed spiders? I have tried everything I think of and not only do rabbits not breed, but they will seemingly seek out exits to whatever maze you put them in.

You plant spider nests using spider eggs, if that's what you're asking?

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
I own Don't Starve. I like it, played maybe 10 hours, but I've never beaten it or gotten past ~60 days in game. Does Reign of the Giants contain anything for me, or is it mostly challenge stuff for better players?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
God drat Reign of Giants is hard. It used to be that winter was hard but summer/spring/autumn/whatever was much more lax.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

What Fun posted:

I own Don't Starve. I like it, played maybe 10 hours, but I've never beaten it or gotten past ~60 days in game. Does Reign of the Giants contain anything for me, or is it mostly challenge stuff for better players?

It contains a can of rear end-whooping that'll make sure you probably don't make it to 60 days.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~
That's what I figured. Any good strategy guides you'd recommend that I could study up on?

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

What Fun posted:

RoG contains a lot of cool new stuff, but it also makes the game much, much harder. Whereas in vanilla you have easy mode summer to prepare for hard mode winter, in RoG you have four seasons which contain all sorts of stuff that will kick your rear end.

It's still very fun, but you will die a whole lot.

efb

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

What Fun posted:

That's what I figured. Any good strategy guides you'd recommend that I could study up on?

Yes, here's mine: Turn off summer, start in autumn.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Before RoG the game was way more chill survival simulation even if it was still quite silly, now it's just crazy gently caress yous all year round.

Catts
Nov 3, 2011
Does anyone know if the base game + DLC pack on Steam contains individual items? I want to gift someone the base game and purchase RoG for myself, was hoping this would be a good way to do it.

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

redreader posted:

Yes, here's mine: Turn off summer, start in autumn.

Is this...bad advice?! Oh no, I have taken it! I am undone! Truly you are the victor, goon sir....

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

What Fun posted:

Is this...bad advice?! Oh no, I have taken it! I am undone! Truly you are the victor, goon sir....

No that's actually quite good advice. Summer is way worse than winter, and a spring start is just a pain in the rear end because beefalos are more likely to go into heat, rabbit holes are all blocked up, and it rains a lot more (including frog rain). Autumn is the equivalent of the old "Summer" season. Even if you leave summer on, still pick an autumn start, since a spring start makes it much more difficult to get the ice and other supplies you'll want to survive through summer.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

What Fun posted:

No, he's not joking. Summer is the most brutal out of all the seasons. Autumn is pretty much the old 'summer'. Winter is still roughly the same, spring has a shitload of rain and rain of frogs as well, and summer is basically the opposite of winter in terms of you needing cold stuff to keep from overheating but there's a bunch of other poo poo thrown in that will mostly likely end up with you dead in a field and baking in the sun.

You don't underestimate summer.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

No, he's not joking. Summer is the most brutal out of all the seasons. Autumn is pretty much the old 'summer'. Winter is still roughly the same, spring has a shitload of rain and rain of frogs as well, and summer is basically the opposite of winter in terms of you needing cold stuff to keep from overheating but there's a bunch of other poo poo thrown in that will mostly likely end up with you dead in a field and baking in the sun.

I don't think I'm bad at this game and only after playing ROTG for like 20 hours was I able to get through a spring. I suppose the main 'trick' for me was to make sure I have an umbrella + rain hat around during spring, and a ton of food made in winter (for when your crock pot is wet and only makes soggy food, in spring)

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Salad Prong

You plant spider nests using spider eggs, if that's what you're asking?

That was what I was looking for, I play on the ps4 which is the vanilla game, so apart from switching from adventure to sandbox, you sort of have to create your own challenges. I have tried farming rabbits which doesn't work, beefalo sort of take care of themselves, and bee boxes can sort of be looked at as farming. I haven't really gotten too familiar with spiders, frogs, and fishing because I don't spend much time in those terrain types.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Catts posted:

Does anyone know if the base game + DLC pack on Steam contains individual items? I want to gift someone the base game and purchase RoG for myself, was hoping this would be a good way to do it.

Nope, it's just one package.

The game is on sale, go buy it you lurkers, it's worth it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

What Fun
Jul 21, 2007

~P*R*I*D*E~

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

Oh, my previous post was about not getting the DLC. I just assumed he was yanking my chain. I only have summer and winter, and there's no frogs in my summer. My apologies for brandishing my ~hanzo steel wit~

• Locked thread