Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Summer is so loving hard. I'm current only day 60 but I feel trapped - not sure what to do.

My sanity isn't doing very well, and evil flowers are spawning all around my base. There's a massive herd of beefalo just north of me, but there's so many that trying to kill them is very difficult. They are unpredictable so luring them away doesn't always work.

I spend a lot of time kinda paralyzed in my base just not sure what to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wilhemina
Jun 21, 2011

I enjoy attempting to domesticate treeguards, or at least kiting them towards swamps and come back the next day to pick up all the frog legs and tentacle spikes.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

oswald ownenstein posted:

Summer is so loving hard. I'm current only day 60 but I feel trapped - not sure what to do.

My sanity isn't doing very well, and evil flowers are spawning all around my base. There's a massive herd of beefalo just north of me, but there's so many that trying to kill them is very difficult. They are unpredictable so luring them away doesn't always work.

I spend a lot of time kinda paralyzed in my base just not sure what to do.

Yes! nobody else has mentioned it but I've noticed around spring or the end of spring (assuming you started in autumn) your base area specifically gets filled with evil flowers. It's bullshit but if you're using mods (or maybe it's the base game, IDK?) with ROTG there are lots more green mushrooms than normal and that takes care of most sanity problems. I just keep like 8+ in the ice box at all times. The evil flowers around your base are enough to make you drop to very low sanity about 1.5-2 times just by picking all of them.

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
Don't evil flowers just pop up during/after full moons?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Of course, Willow doesn't have any problems getting rid of evil flowers... :flame:

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

redreader posted:

Yes! nobody else has mentioned it but I've noticed around spring or the end of spring (assuming you started in autumn) your base area specifically gets filled with evil flowers. It's bullshit but if you're using mods (or maybe it's the base game, IDK?) with ROTG there are lots more green mushrooms than normal and that takes care of most sanity problems. I just keep like 8+ in the ice box at all times. The evil flowers around your base are enough to make you drop to very low sanity about 1.5-2 times just by picking all of them.

Honestly Summer doesn't feel really well balanced.

For example, the way you can have renewable stuff just burn up because of random fires is....dumb.

Also, I died on day 82 due to a misclick on a beefalo while on the phone. Was low health and their hitbox is so big. Splat!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

That's why you should always use the spacebar, it'll default to the rational action given the context.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Flame112 posted:

Don't evil flowers just pop up during/after full moons?

Normal flowers convert to evil ones during full moons - they switch back a few nights later.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Normal flowers convert to evil ones during full moons - they switch back a few nights later.

*HOLY poo poo*! I suppose I'd have noticed that if I had a bee flower farm.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I finally managed to survive long enough to start building a sweet berry farm with stone walls and a bunch of transplanted grass and saplings and everything. I have a chest, an alchemy station, a charming straw hat, and a set of gold tools. Saved and quit on day 16 and went to bed feeling like I was finally starting to figure this game out. "This is hard, but it's not that hard," I thought.

This morning I went to work and discovered that a fire had destroyed an extremely important piece of equipment and put a big hole in our office.

Don't Starve doesn't gently caress around.

edit: holy hell the lumberjack guy is awesome as gently caress :stare: I was all excited to start with an indestructible high-efficiency axe so I cut down a shitload of trees and suddenly everything was carnage and there were dead spiders everywhere and someone had bulldozed a pig village and smashed an entire gold mine to rubble with his face. I think this guy might be in direct competition with rear end in a top hat Robot for my favourite character.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 27, 2014

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
So last night I died. Day 42, my longest run yet. I was playing as Willow, and let me tell you, I don't think i'll be doing that for a while.

I made the mistake of setting up my camp without fully exploring the map, so when it finally got to be winter, I hadn't found a good source of spider silk. I was able to make a winter hat and a thermal stone but exploration was slow going due to constant freezing. So while I'm way out, I put the breezy coat on that was in my backpack to warm up one night, and wouldn't you know it, she decides to set the fucker on fire. So all my building materials go up in flames. I decide to start working my way back when I run into a massive array of spider nests.

One death later, and I'm freezing my rear end off as I run back to my stuff as it luckily dropped on the edge of the nests. Pick my stuff up and freeze to death, but I'm at a second touch stone closer to my things. Pick everything up and chop a few trees to warm up. Then I hear the hounds. So I say gently caress it, and jump into an unexplored worm hole. That dumps me out pretty close to my base. Get back to the base and start prepping for the dogs and eating and warming myself, when bam, she sets my chests on fire. Dogs show up at twilight and I start dodging and working them down to the beefalo. They start fighting the beefalo and I get back to my camp as night falls.

As I'm starting to rebuild I hear this breathing I haven't heard yet and that's when Deerclops comes to town and fucks my poo poo up. I hit him a few times to get him away from the base. I decide to bring him to the pig village and whammo, full moon and I'm getting chased by about 6 werepigs and a deerclops. A few bad moves later and i'm dead again. Sucked to watch the slow downward spiral happen, but I've learned a lot of things that I can apply next time. Though I don't think I'll be bringing the pyromaniac with me again.

Now I'm just trying to figure out who to try next. I've tried Wilson, Woodie, and Willow so far. I'm tempted to try the robot, but I'm worried it'll be a quick death with the fact that rain would cause damage.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The rain doesn't cause that much damage in my experience. Some cooked food and crockpot cookin' can hold you out until you gather the stuff to make an umbrella. Also his dialogue is amazing and his overload mode is really strong. He's probably my favourite character.

He sounds like an old printer when he talks, too :buddy:

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I'll have to give him a shot. I love this game, but it really goes out of its way to shout gently caress you right in your face. As someone said a ways back, its a prefect zen out game.

Oh and in addition to the spiders, right before I die I find clockwork enemies, which would have been great earlier so I could have made a fridge. Oh well. Gotta explore. There's just so much to take in and remember to do. I'm amazed at some of the people that get into the thousands of days.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Inside Out Mom posted:

I'll have to give him a shot. I love this game, but it really goes out of its way to shout gently caress you right in your face. As someone said a ways back, its a prefect zen out game.

Oh and in addition to the spiders, right before I die I find clockwork enemies, which would have been great earlier so I could have made a fridge. Oh well. Gotta explore. There's just so much to take in and remember to do. I'm amazed at some of the people that get into the thousands of days.

There's a good trick for those clockwork enemies, the Rook (the big guy that charges you) will smash through things as he charges and he can kill the other clockworks if they're between you and him. He's good for knocking down trees/rocks/marble pillars too. It's a really good way to stock up on gears if you're the robot.

On a separate note, has anyone got some tips for exploring the caves? It's always my undoing and I want to see what else is down there.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

The first thing I learned was to bring a shitload of sticks, grass, wood, and rocks. Ready access to torches and firepits is pretty clutch down there. Aside from that, have your basic food and equipment on hand, always keep an escape route back to the rope open, and if you're not sure about/don't recognize something, Don't gently caress With It. Good crockpot food is enormously helpful for panic healing and sanity restoration (fish sticks are healy as gently caress and easy to make if you have access to silk and a pond).

A boomerang is helpful for smiting batilisks and I Wonder What Happens If I Attack That. You can also befriend rock lobsters by feeding them rocks and stuff IIRC. Don't hit them, they are borderline impossible to kill and hit very hard, but they seem chill if you don't attack them.

e: my experience is that the underground is basically the surface on crack with perma-night everywhere, so surface nighttime survival strategies are fairly effective. The biggest thing is to explore it a bit at a time and never get into a situation you can't resolve by fleeing head over heels to the exit.

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 30, 2014

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

:ghost:Spooky:ghost: first look at Don't Starve Together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlWgtMgukZ0

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

oh jay posted:

:ghost:Spooky:ghost: first look at Don't Starve Together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlWgtMgukZ0

This looks loving awesome. I can't wait to starve together (and die in a forest fire together, and be eaten by hounds together, and be mangled by tentacles together, and freeze together, and be struck by lightning together, and go insane to death together) with all my friends.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

How many players are they aiming to have support for, simultaneously?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
Hey, does the new expansion add stuff to adventure mode levels? Like all the new seasons and possible enemies? Or are the adventure levels pretty self contained?

I have a save where I'm doing pretty good on the first level, I don't know if the expansion is going to mess it up

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Hey, does the new expansion add stuff to adventure mode levels? Like all the new seasons and possible enemies? Or are the adventure levels pretty self contained?

I have a save where I'm doing pretty good on the first level, I don't know if the expansion is going to mess it up

I'm pretty sure you have to opt-in to the expansion content when you start your game, meaning previous saved games will still be like they were before. Don't hold me to that, though, I haven't experimented a lot with it since I am loving terrible at this game.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

I'm pretty sure you have to opt-in to the expansion content when you start your game, meaning previous saved games will still be like they were before. Don't hold me to that, though, I haven't experimented a lot with it since I am loving terrible at this game.

Yep. The expansion content is in a checkbox you can toggle when you start a game.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.

Angry Diplomat posted:

Yep. The expansion content is in a checkbox you can toggle when you start a game.

Ah good. Are there any new Adventure maps with the DLC? I know there are some levels that are perpetual winter, So obviously I wouldn't be getting new seasons, there's another one where the seasons change fast as well.

Are all adventure maps basically updated to include the DLC stuff is what I'm trying to ask.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
No new floors, but the new changes for the seasons are in adventure mode. That and I think they changed summer to autumn for adventure mode.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
Don't starve is launching on PS4 next week 22nd(NA)/23rd(EU) for $4.99 (or whatever the local equivalent is) and there's a 10% discount if you're a PS+ member.

(Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/38438-dont-starve-reign-of-giants-launching-on-ps4-july-22-in-north-america-july-23-europe/ )

Anyone got any tips for RoG? I'm decent at the base game but I've heard the DLC is very difficult.

Sanguinaire
Feb 10, 2003
Jerky is your friend as usual, most reliable sanity restoration if you can't farm green mushrooms. Between rain and prolonged dusk, sanity management was my biggest struggle. I've been starting in autumn but haven't made it to summer yet, plus bad luck with no pig king and 2 or 3 hound nests guarded by a hornet biome.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Sanguinaire posted:

Jerky is your friend as usual, most reliable sanity restoration if you can't farm green mushrooms. Between rain and prolonged dusk, sanity management was my biggest struggle. I've been starting in autumn but haven't made it to summer yet, plus bad luck with no pig king and 2 or 3 hound nests guarded by a hornet biome.

Crock pot foods are also great and making a crock pot should be one of the first things you do when you have the requisite science machine available.

You'll be getting a lot of monster meat from killing spiders and the crock pot lets you "cut" that meat with other things in order to use it for something that doesn't hurt you to eat. Just don't try to use more than one in a recipe at a time.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Spalec posted:

Don't starve is launching on PS4 next week 22nd(NA)/23rd(EU) for $4.99 (or whatever the local equivalent is) and there's a 10% discount if you're a PS+ member.

(Source: http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/38438-dont-starve-reign-of-giants-launching-on-ps4-july-22-in-north-america-july-23-europe/ )

Anyone got any tips for RoG? I'm decent at the base game but I've heard the DLC is very difficult.

Oh nice, I just got a PS4 a few days ago and been enjoying the console port of Don't Starve, but was hoping Reign of Giant would get put out for it soon since it feels weird not having some of the features after getting used to them on the PC.

Mondlicht
Oct 13, 2011

if history could set you free
I haven't played this game in a long time, really curious to see what's changed. Multiplayer sounds really rad! I wonder how the difficulty will adjust.. either it'll be more difficult because you'll be all fighting for the same resources, or it'll spawn more resources to share but also probably more things that will kill you.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

President Ark posted:

Crock pot foods are also great and making a crock pot should be one of the first things you do when you have the requisite science machine available.

You'll be getting a lot of monster meat from killing spiders and the crock pot lets you "cut" that meat with other things in order to use it for something that doesn't hurt you to eat. Just don't try to use more than one in a recipe at a time.

poo poo! Just had that "A HA!" moment! I keep getting my stuff setup pretty good but always find myself buried in monster meat but starving. I thought it wasn't enough farms or drying racks. But drat, completely forgot to set up some crock pots. Can't wait to get home and try this method. I always have berry bushes so I guess I can just meatball it up.

Here's something I'd like to know. What are the must have items for winter? My strategy is to take days 1-5 to scout out as much of the map as I can and collect as many materials I can pick. . Then 6-10 or so to set up my camp. Then I try to prep for winter by shaving beefalo and making a thermal stone. Despite this, I always feel like winter just shows up and lowers it's rear end on me and my camp.

Any sort of suggestions for my start up strats or season prep is welcome!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Man, no matter how good I am at this game, I still can't do adventure mode. I always tend to last a few days before dying.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

Inside Out Mom posted:

poo poo! Just had that "A HA!" moment! I keep getting my stuff setup pretty good but always find myself buried in monster meat but starving. I thought it wasn't enough farms or drying racks. But drat, completely forgot to set up some crock pots. Can't wait to get home and try this method. I always have berry bushes so I guess I can just meatball it up.

Here's something I'd like to know. What are the must have items for winter? My strategy is to take days 1-5 to scout out as much of the map as I can and collect as many materials I can pick. . Then 6-10 or so to set up my camp. Then I try to prep for winter by shaving beefalo and making a thermal stone. Despite this, I always feel like winter just shows up and lowers it's rear end on me and my camp.

Any sort of suggestions for my start up strats or season prep is welcome!

Lots of drying racks to make Jerky. Even Monster Jerky isn't too bad, it costs a tiny bit of health/sanity but it's worth it if you're gonna starve and it's good filler for the crock pot (as long as you only use 1 monster meat/monster jerky the food will be safe)

Get a beefalo horn/fur for a beefalo hat to keep yourself warm and hunt the Koalefant as soon as winter starts for it's winter for it's trunk which makes another excellent warm clothing item.

If you've got plenty of food, (use lots of rabbit/bird traps) a tent helps keep your health/sanity high and skips the longer evenings/nights.

If you activate a touch stone, build a wooden chest nearby with provisions for a fire, a torch, a weapon and maybe some simple warm clothing like rabbit earmuffs. That way you won't freeze before you get back to camp.

If you're Wilson, don't shave.

And a non-winter related tip I've found: If you see a pigs head on a spike, deconstruct it with a hammer for pig skins which are incredibly useful for football helmets or umbrellas.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Deconstructing pig heads is also a good idea because it gets rid of the eternal annoying buzzing sound.

Meatballs are great crockpot food. Those, fish sticks, and jam are my staples. Jam's fuckoff easy to make in bulk with a good berry farm, fish sticks are quite easy to make if you can fish regularly and are excellent for healing, and meatballs are great all-around food items that can use up some of that monster meat you're swimming in. Others might prefer to use the berries in other recipes to avoid spoilage as your 20 fistfuls of jam go stale, but I like to play as the robot, so stale food doesn't really matter. It's also nice to be able to wander in the rain without an umbrella by simply smashing spoiled jam into your face every 30 seconds.

On an unrelated note, am I right that the robit functions as a lightning rod and will actively attract lightning bolts? I feel that he would be really really good in Don't Starve Together, since you could dump all your stale food on JUSTASGOOD.EXE, and lightning would be much safer with him nearby as it would give you a slightly insane rampaging night light instead of a forest fire or base fire. I mean, dude can slug it out with insanity beasts when he's in overload state, so I really can't see much of a downside. Him and the librarian would make a powerhouse team I think.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I like Don't Starve but I really hate Adventure Mode. I tried a few times to do it on both the PC and PS4 version and always die in World 1, as it way too hard to maintain sanity or food. Guess I will never get to use Wes or Maxwell.

Also one thing I really dislike about Adventure Mode is how every time you die in it, that entry gets put in the Morgue, which quickly fills it up with pointless entries.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010
I'm played a bit of RoG and I'm loving Wigfrid, she can just tank through most monsters no trouble, and with her spear/helmet even Beefalo get wasted.

Her negative (only eats meat) hasn't been a problem so far outside the early game before I had my base set up. I'm still getting plenty of use out of fruits/veg though as filler for crockpots. A rabbit + 3 vegs gives you meatballs (or 2 veg and a stick for kabobs) which are pretty great considering how cheap they are to make.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Yeah Wigfrid is pretty easy to play once you get a good setup while using farms for crockpot recipes. When I was playing her, I setup a bunch of spiders near pigs so I can kill spiders for monster meat to make werepigs to kill, who give me back HP and valuable meat.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I'm playing Reign of Giants just trying to get a feel for things. I've turned rain down and shortened Winter and Summer. About this time I noticed that every game I do like this, all rabbit holes are collapsed. ALL. (at least every one I discover.)

Is this intentional? Is god punishing me?

Flame112
Apr 21, 2011
They all collapse in spring right? Is it spring?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Flame112 posted:

They all collapse in spring right? Is it spring?

Yes this was it. Thanks :)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I'm having an awesome run as WX-78.(The Robot?)

I have a good home base. I have 3 advanced farms, crockpots, I know where to get pretty much all my needs met.

Totally confused on why I was getting wet goop with 2 fish and 2 sticks. Read up that that got changed to no more than 1 stick (so like 3 fish 1 stick.) I did that (3/1) and got "Rot". The fish were literally SECONDS old. Brand new! What gives? :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

That's really strange, you shouldn't get rot from the crockpot with an invalid recipe (just goop). Try making it with some filler - fish, twig, and a couple of carrots, maybe.

Sarcasmbot is a really good character. Don't forget to build a lightning rod in your base, though. Overload is cool but you WILL burn your base to the ground if you get struck by lightning next to your berry farm :smithicide:

• Locked thread