Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."
What's the best way to get a farming cottage? I feel like it'd be nice to have both space to grow things and a spot to practice crafting at, but I'm not sure that I'd even remotely be available to play on the 12th if I decide to buy into early access. Would it behoove me to try to save up the 50 coins, or should I try to beeline to placing some shred of property somewhere that isn't picked over and try to scrounge up the coins later?

Also, other than farming property, what else is useful to grab? Are aquafarms great? What about the coastal style houses on stilts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade
Sep 10, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

What's the best way to get a farming cottage? I feel like it'd be nice to have both space to grow things and a spot to practice crafting at, but I'm not sure that I'd even remotely be available to play on the 12th if I decide to buy into early access. Would it behoove me to try to save up the 50 coins, or should I try to beeline to placing some shred of property somewhere that isn't picked over and try to scrounge up the coins later?

Also, other than farming property, what else is useful to grab? Are aquafarms great? What about the coastal style houses on stilts?

I don't think I've even see a marina house in game... They're costly and don't really offer much. Aqua Farms are 20 gilda, large, and you won't have to worry about space. At least if Aranzeb is any indicator as I just placed one today and there was plenty of room.

As far as the thatched farm house, hard to say. Everyone has a different plan, some going for cottages, some rushing for the farm house. Guess it depends on how badly you want to live in a safe zone.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

hakimashou posted:

1) If I play, I would pay the sub since i want to tycoon it up. Will I be nickel and dimed on top of the 15$ month? Does the 15$/month thing come with a stipend of the real-money currency used to buy special stuff in game?

2) Is the korean version of this game popular and long running? Do you think the game has a real future here, that would make the 150$ founder's pack a worthwhile long term buy?

3) How many hours a day would I have to put in to run a sustainable, scalable farm or ranch or factory or something like that?

4) Is there a large real money cost to building things like castles, owning a lot of land for a plantation, etc, or could that be sustainably scaled up through reinvesting profits in the game?

1) You don't get a stipend of cash, but it's important to note that things sold on the shop can also be sold for game currency. If you are patron and farmvilling it up for gold, you won't necessarily have to put in any more money. There is a roundabout way to buy cash shop credits with cold by buying APEX.

2) I don't know the complete history in Korea, it sounds like it was popular with 1.0, producer left the company, 1.2 screwed everything up, producer came back and 1.7 fixed everything. It's been published out to Russia as well as NA, and as far as I know it is healthy in Korea.

3) Not a whole lot, once you get into producing the endgame style stuff, it seems like the grow times are longer and doesn't require as much babysitting. But you get what you put in, crafting and production in this game is tough and takes a guild working together.

4) No, but it is something that will take a lot of effort, and a guild working together to do.

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

I swapped to Primeval and had more fun with it. Anyone have any good videos I can look at to see endgame PVP for some classes? I'd like to see what Primeval/Darkrunner/??? ends up looking like at 50 since the highest I got was 35.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

DrDork posted:

No, the item that lets unwashed plebes sell on the AH.

That makes more sense. So is it a permanent unlock? And can it be sold on the auction house?

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
So I don't know a whole ton about antialiasing past the acronyms and nvidia inspector, but postAA seems awful. I sorta just dealt with it through alpha. I'm using lemonking's v4 settings if that has any effect on it?

I tried postAA x2 (left), I then manually set the game to run x2 SGSSAA (middle) and x4 (right) and was kind of alarmed at the difference. Is it just because this wingthing is transparent and SGSSAA whatever works better with transparency, or will I get globally better results? I haven't ran around enough to compare the three more than this.

Compatibility bit I used for nvidia inspector is "0x000012C1" if anyone wants to try it themselves.

Also, are underwater farms still not worth the taxes? I had one months ago in alpha because I was alchemy, but was kind of debating grabbing another farm for WORMS instead.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

hakimashou posted:

I downloaded the beta of this today and it looks cool.

I'm thinking about getting one of the founders packs. I really only like to be a merchant in MMOs. I play STO now and have a large fortune on there.

Have a few questions for people who know a lot about it:

1) If I play, I would pay the sub since i want to tycoon it up. Will I be nickel and dimed on top of the 15$ month? Does the 15$/month thing come with a stipend of the real-money currency used to buy special stuff in game?

2) Is the korean version of this game popular and long running? Do you think the game has a real future here, that would make the 150$ founder's pack a worthwhile long term buy?

3) How many hours a day would I have to put in to run a sustainable, scalable farm or ranch or factory or something like that?

4) Is there a large real money cost to building things like castles, owning a lot of land for a plantation, etc, or could that be sustainably scaled up through reinvesting profits in the game?

Thanks!

1) You don't get a monthly cash shop credit stipend for being a patron. You do earn 5 loyalty tokens each day for logging in that you can spend for a few nifty things on the loyalty market which is seperate from the cash shop. Nothing on the cash shop is entirely pay2win and nearly everything bought from it can be listed on the auction house so you can just buy it there when you are rich enough.

2) The KR version was recently having popularity issues due to various problems of the game. There were dead servers and they did server mergers back in July. But in July they released patch 1.7 which was their first true content patch of the game. It fixed a lot of problems with the game, added new ship mechanics to the game like customizable ships and new better ship control, and added some awesome raid bosses. KR has seen a lot of activity since then. We will be launching with patch 1.2 and we won't see 1.7 for probably a year after launch which will probably hurt the game's retention for the first year.

3) It really depends on how many farms and what you are growing. At my peak in Alpha I had 8 farms growing barley farms which is harvestable in 3 hours so I was spending 20 minutes or so planting and harvesting every 3 hours.

4) Nothing like that costs real money. You only need to be a $15 a month subscriber to own land. Building/owning castles simply cost a lot of materials that are attained in game and is a guild effort. Anything you could want in game is attainable through gold and no best in slot gear or anything of that like is in the cash shop.

Verranicus posted:

That makes more sense. So is it a permanent unlock? And can it be sold on the auction house?

Yes and yes.

lilspooky
Mar 21, 2006

tatersyum posted:

The KR version was recently having popularity issues due to various problems of the game. There were dead servers and they did server mergers back in July. But in July they released patch 1.7 which was their first true content patch of the game. It fixed a lot of problems with the game, added new ship mechanics to the game like customizable ships and new better ship control, and added some awesome raid bosses. KR has seen a lot of activity since then. We will be launching with patch 1.2 and we won't see 1.7 for probably a year after launch which will probably hurt the game's retention for the first year.

Any idea why they're not giving us 1.7 or why you think it would take so long to port it over to us? Translation issues?

Any idea if they plan to re-record the NPC in-game voices into English. I don't necessarily mind the Korean being spoken, it's just one of those things I think they ought to do for maximum transition to the west.

tatersyum
Feb 12, 2006

lilspooky posted:

Any idea why they're not giving us 1.7 or why you think it would take so long to port it over to us? Translation issues?

Any idea if they plan to re-record the NPC in-game voices into English. I don't necessarily mind the Korean being spoken, it's just one of those things I think they ought to do for maximum transition to the west.

It's not an issue of translation. Trion probably simply doesn't want to give us huge content patches at the launch of the game.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Arcade posted:

I don't think I've even see a marina house in game... They're costly and don't really offer much. Aqua Farms are 20 gilda, large, and you won't have to worry about space. At least if Aranzeb is any indicator as I just placed one today and there was plenty of room.

As far as the thatched farm house, hard to say. Everyone has a different plan, some going for cottages, some rushing for the farm house. Guess it depends on how badly you want to live in a safe zone.

Good to know. Is there a convenient way to teleport to a home, or are homes off the beaten path a pain in the rear end to get to?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Dirk the Average posted:

Good to know. Is there a convenient way to teleport to a home, or are homes off the beaten path a pain in the rear end to get to?

Yes, you can teleport home.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

tatersyum posted:

Yes and yes.

Thanks! Looks like the perfect game for someone cheap enough and hardheaded enough like me to grind my way to success.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

Demonologist was interesting in principle, but I found myself just strapped for points an unable to really take advantage of the three trees.

Also the game is free, so you will be able to afford it.

Builds are going to be a big pain in the rear end until they raise the level cap to 55 because the trees we have, if I'm not mistaken, were the ones designed around level 55 characters.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I've got a stack of cannonballs and a bad attitude. Too bad there's no point to trading tomorrow so nobody but PvPer 50s will be out there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
RIP Archeage thread. Long live the Archeage thread!

• Locked thread