Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

The method they use for that in rift is similar to how it is in eve. An item that people can buy with cash shop currency that grants a month patron status, and can be sold on the in game market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Patware posted:

Let's stop yelling at Guild Wars and think about some of these amazing class names.

Political Activist

What in God's name is a Political Activist, I will be the best Political Activist in the game.

I don't know why you would pass up
Pleasure Seeker

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

The method they use for that in rift is similar to how it is in eve. An item that people can buy with cash shop currency that grants a month patron status, and can be sold on the in game market.

Oh that's good at least the options there I just hope they don't make the grind for it absolutely ridiculous.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Thrasophius posted:

Oh that's good at least the options there I just hope they don't make the grind for it absolutely ridiculous.

The in-game market determines how hard the grind is, since there's no AA-bux price inherent to it. Trion gets the same amount of money whether it's resold for 1 or 1,000,000 AA-bux.

jhorphear
Apr 24, 2013

Ask me about telling people not to change my avatar
I know it might be a bit early to even ask this, but will friends/family of goons be able to join?

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
The goon guild? It depends on what the limits are for clans/guilds and how many actual goons want to get onboard.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

The in-game market determines how hard the grind is, since there's no AA-bux price inherent to it. Trion gets the same amount of money whether it's resold for 1 or 1,000,000 AA-bux.

Ah sweet so it's basically the same thing as they have going on in eve then.

jhorphear posted:

I know it might be a bit early to even ask this, but will friends/family of goons be able to join?

Depends on demand. As mentioned if enough people are playing the game then there will no doubt be a goon guild but from there it's up to the leaders of said guild.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Going to go ahead and answer you question with a definite "Maybe"

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

jhorphear posted:

If I end up leading, and the guild cap isn't stupid small compared to the amount of goons playing, then yes. However, the normal caveat of if they are retarded gently caress shits and they get the boot so do you applies.

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/04/archeage-feature-guide-classes-and-crafting/

Trion's put together a nice, comprehensive guide to all the combat and life skillsets. Do you think we can put some of this in the OP? The information that's there is a little sparse right now.

I'm kind of disappointed that players can only level up a few life skills, but on the other hand, this will force different players to work together to provide different items. Weapons will require ingots from blacksmithing and oil from alchemy, which require ore from mining and plants from gathering, respectively. Archeum, required for all gear crafts, can grow on trees which will require mineral water from Auroria, the northern continent, to grow. But you can only carry mineral water on your back, which means unless you have a farm in Auroria, you'd need to drag it across the sea, which you'd need a boat for, which requires wood, iron, and cloth...

If you played Age of Wushu and liked Goonunism, but not the bullshit circumstances that led us to adopt that convoluted system, you will love the crafting systems present in this. I've never seen a more complicated, yet understandable crafting system. This is crafter's crack, in my opinion. We'll most likely need to bust out the spreadsheets again if we're going to get anywhere.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
For some reason the crafting reminds me of Wurm Online. If I recall correctly you lose skill points over time in that game or something where you can't max out every skill, so it ends up with certain people doing different jobs. It's certainly not as in-depth as Archeage though considering all the extra things you can do in AA. Limited skills worked out in Wurm Online, so as long as it's not jacked up it should work in Archeage.

I hope we can build roads, the coolest thing I did when playing Wurm Online was making the great goon road from our town to the newbie area, then the devs took it over like a bunch of communists. :argh: It would not be as cool though unless you can modify the terrain like you can in Wurm Online. If we can modify the terrain that would be so cool, but we probably can't. :(

I'll end up playing the game. I even bought Elder Scrolls Online so I'll pretty much try out any MMO.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 22, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
The biggest problem with a convoluted crafting system is that it relies on server health/population to keep the economy moving.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

ShadowMoo posted:

The biggest problem with a convoluted crafting system is that it relies on server health/population to keep the economy moving.

Hopefully AA doesn't make the mistake of too many servers like a lot of games. I'd rather have the occasional queue then a dead server.

YOTC
Nov 18, 2005
Damn stupid newbie

Yaos posted:

For some reason the crafting reminds me of Wurm Online. If I recall correctly you lose skill points over time in that game or something where you can't max out every skill, so it ends up with certain people doing different jobs. It's certainly not as in-depth as Archeage though considering all the extra things you can do in AA. Limited skills worked out in Wurm Online, so as long as it's not jacked up it should work in Archeage.

I hope we can build roads, the coolest thing I did when playing Wurm Online was making the great goon road from our town to the newbie area, then the devs took it over like a bunch of communists. :argh: It would not be as cool though unless you can modify the terrain like you can in Wurm Online. If we can modify the terrain that would be so cool, but we probably can't. :(

I'll end up playing the game. I even bought Elder Scrolls Online so I'll pretty much try out any MMO.

You obviously didn't play with Commoners. That man had like every skill in the 60-80's at one point.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Here's a video from yesterday showing some low-level stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O07jD6txiI

justsharkbait
Dec 20, 2013

HOO HA HA
Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to this game, it looks really interesting.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Wonder Turbine posted:

http://www.archeagegame.com/en/news/2014/04/archeage-feature-guide-classes-and-crafting/

Trion's put together a nice, comprehensive guide to all the combat and life skillsets. Do you think we can put some of this in the OP? The information that's there is a little sparse right now.

I'm kind of disappointed that players can only level up a few life skills, but on the other hand, this will force different players to work together to provide different items. Weapons will require ingots from blacksmithing and oil from alchemy, which require ore from mining and plants from gathering, respectively. Archeum, required for all gear crafts, can grow on trees which will require mineral water from Auroria, the northern continent, to grow. But you can only carry mineral water on your back, which means unless you have a farm in Auroria, you'd need to drag it across the sea, which you'd need a boat for, which requires wood, iron, and cloth...

If you played Age of Wushu and liked Goonunism, but not the bullshit circumstances that led us to adopt that convoluted system, you will love the crafting systems present in this. I've never seen a more complicated, yet understandable crafting system. This is crafter's crack, in my opinion. We'll most likely need to bust out the spreadsheets again if we're going to get anywhere.

Had added in most of the information already but didn't realize the specialization descriptions I copied over said Auramancy in place of virtually every specialization name. That has been fixed with the new and improved descriptions added. Also it appears Necromancy has been replaced with Occultism.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Wonder Turbine posted:

If you played Age of Wushu and liked Goonunism, but not the bullshit circumstances that led us to adopt that convoluted system, you will love the crafting systems present in this.

There was something almost Zen about crafting in AoW, especially during/right after closed beta when no one could figure out what was going on with it. All the time just running around in the desert smacking other miners over the precious, precious ore was actually pretty fun.

Can't wait to see how it all comes together in AA.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

I'm still wary about this 1.0 patch and how it interacts with the resource and crafting system. The list posted mentioned a lot of previously gathered items being relegated to NPC vendors, and he didn't adress that at all, only saying "a few [changes] that make it even more of a sandbox". I really don't like of daily quests; Especially when "sandbox" is the biggest advertised feature of a game.

Tomed2000
Jun 24, 2002

Remb posted:

I really don't like of daily quests; Especially when "sandbox" is the biggest advertised feature of a game.

How is this game a sandbox? I'm only up to level 15 but so far it's a standard quest hub treadmill from the very start. I'm also curious to see how Trion will handle labor point acquisition because it's god awful on the Russian servers without a premium account. Free account characters start with around 10 labor points get something like 1 labor point every 30 minutes. When it takes 2-3 points to mine a single node of ore you end being completely incapable of doing any sort of tradeskills. I've asked a few English-speaking players that play on the RU server what else to do besides questing and the usual answer is farming or fishing, unfortunately I want nothing to do with either of those activities as they are boring as gently caress. I heard the open PvP starts at level 25 so I'm going to try to at least push through up to there before deciding to give up entirely. Some of the PvP videos do look fun which is encouraging.

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

Tomed2000 posted:

How is this game a sandbox?

I haven't played the game. This is just what I've taken from reading the official site and the OP.

quote:

Adventure in an open-ended MMORPG freed from predefined paths and progression

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Tomed2000 posted:

I'm also curious to see how Trion will handle labor point acquisition because it's god awful on the Russian servers without a premium account. Free account characters start with around 10 labor points get something like 1 labor point every 30 minutes.

The video posted a bit further up the page, which seems to be in English rather than Russian, has 5 labor points every 5 minutes. Unless that's the premium account rate?

Edit: vvv Ah, I see, that's a pretty big difference then.

Comic fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 22, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Comic posted:

The video posted a bit further up the page, which seems to be in English rather than Russian, has 5 labor points every 5 minutes. Unless that's the premium account rate?

Pretty sure they've made everyone on the Alpha a premium member so that should be the premium rate.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Tomed2000 posted:

How is this game a sandbox? I'm only up to level 15 but so far it's a standard quest hub treadmill from the very start. I'm also curious to see how Trion will handle labor point acquisition because it's god awful on the Russian servers without a premium account. Free account characters start with around 10 labor points get something like 1 labor point every 30 minutes. When it takes 2-3 points to mine a single node of ore you end being completely incapable of doing any sort of tradeskills. I've asked a few English-speaking players that play on the RU server what else to do besides questing and the usual answer is farming or fishing, unfortunately I want nothing to do with either of those activities as they are boring as gently caress. I heard the open PvP starts at level 25 so I'm going to try to at least push through up to there before deciding to give up entirely. Some of the PvP videos do look fun which is encouraging.

The sandbox all comes in at mid to high level from my understanding. The southern two continents are both your standard themepark PvE kill x of y areas. Whereas the northern continent is a free for all player governed sandbox with hundred man sieges and the ability to create your own kingdom. Most of the excitement from this thread is geared towards that northern continent.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings
I want to be a pirate and have my own pirate house, personally. It sounds like it could be difficult to get enough karma to join it though, yeah?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Comic posted:

I want to be a pirate and have my own pirate house, personally. It sounds like it could be difficult to get enough karma to join it though, yeah?

300 kills assuming people turn in the blood. Shouldn't be too hard.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Sounds like we are going to have to go marauding gentlemen.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
One thing I worry about for this game: the sheer number of class combinations. What are the chances I get stuck with some combo that sucks or gets nerfed? If it was just a few core roles, it would be easy to balance, but with so many combinations, some are bound to be weak.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I feel like being a Playboy would be almost better if it was significantly underpowered.

Should we take bets now on what will be considered OP when launch happens? My money is on Conservative

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

One thing I worry about for this game: the sheer number of class combinations. What are the chances I get stuck with some combo that sucks or gets nerfed? If it was just a few core roles, it would be easy to balance, but with so many combinations, some are bound to be weak.

You can change your specializations for gold, and it's inevitable that there will be weak/strong class combos.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Like all MMOs there will be a single combination that's better than all other combos and it will be figured out within seconds of release. It will then be nerfed into oblivion while everything else is left unchanged.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

Yaos posted:

Like all MMOs there will be a single combination that's better than all other combos and it will be figured out within seconds of release. It will then be nerfed into oblivion while everything else is left unchanged.
Nerfed into oblivion, six months later or whenever the US version catches up to Korea.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Hopefully AA doesn't make the mistake of too many servers like a lot of games. I'd rather have the occasional queue then a dead server.

Yeh I'd prefer to queue a little then have underpopulated servers because if you end up having to merge servers, even if your player population has stayed the same, people see it as a bad sign.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

And server merges are pretty much impossible in games where people own non-instanced space of the game world. I mean allowing people to transfer from dying servers for free will work to a certain extent, but it will still piss off a lot of people.

Snaxx
Apr 5, 2009
Apparently the founder's packs will only grant access to the marketing beta weekends, not the 24/7 alpha. The FAQ has been changed to reflect this, and there are claims Scapes confirmed this on a stream.

Source: notable changes made to How do I get into Beta?

E: Isn't it generally accepted that the first 30 levels are poo poo? Is this their cyanide pill?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

It's fine I still want to give them my money!

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

I think they go with the theme park first because they don't want to scare off players even though Eve Online shows you don't need to hold the player's hand to get them to play. Unfortunately it will just scare off people that want a sand box game but think it's a theme park.

They should just let players choose if they want to go through the theme park first, or if they just want to spawn in the sandbox area.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Yaos posted:

I think they go with the theme park first because they don't want to scare off players even though Eve Online shows you don't need to hold the player's hand to get them to play. Unfortunately it will just scare off people that want a sand box game but think it's a theme park.

They should just let players choose if they want to go through the theme park first, or if they just want to spawn in the sandbox area.

Trion has stated you can wander off immediately after starting the game and you don't need to themepark to level.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Doublestep posted:

Trion has stated you can wander off immediately after starting the game and you don't need to themepark to level.

It doesn't matter. Eve Online has shown that if you leave the themepark half in, there's going to be a huge number of players that only play that. And if you don't balance risk vs reward properly, again like Eve, you can wind up with a situation where the themepark is more profitable than the sandbox!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remb
Feb 2, 2014

It's not a sandbox guys! It's a sandpark

• Locked thread