Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Scamming is encouraged, and tears are an actual currency? We have crossed the desert, this is the promised land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
No self control at all, I really want a boat and a glider and a trainable mount/pet and to pirate and scam and and and ...

Oh well, I paid $200 for Grandmaster for Secret World, seems comparable! Might be tomorrow until I can get in but I am on my way.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Yeah, the way I looked at it is nothing I ever buy will be worse then spending the $200 for the ultimate MWO package.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Just got ingame as jabro. About to call it a night but will be playing this all weekend most likely. Got to get monies worth!

sct
Mar 15, 2006

I don't want to go.
In as sct. Please message me so we can regret spending the money for this together.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Sort of really old, but does anyone still have the video of the goons who decided to play on the korean server, and went and found a farm with cows that sung KPop?

Wonder Turbine
Sep 22, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

West for now, on launch it doesn't matter since we'll all eventually be Pirate.

Even so, it's best if people stick to one faction and achieve max level before breaking off into the pirate faction. Once you become a pirate, both factions become hostile, and getting killed on either continent will get you thrown in jail no matter how you die. I would say we should all continue to go West, due to the population advantage and also getting the chance to kill this guy over and over.

KittyEmpress posted:

Sort of really old, but does anyone still have the video of the goons who decided to play on the korean server, and went and found a farm with cows that sung KPop?

Think it was somewhere in this video. (e: 30 minutes in or so.)

Wonder Turbine fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 25, 2014

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, the way I looked at it is nothing I ever buy will be worse then spending the $200 for the ultimate MWO package.
I got the Lifetime sub for Star Trek Online, I think that's pretty bad.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Are we going to need 2 guilds for launch? A West for leveling and then another for those who get to Pirate?

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I wonder why Trion would order the packages from most expensive to least on their official packages page -- the $150 price tag would scare the heck out of people. I would've led with the more gentle 50-buck option first, I mean come on.

KirbyKhan posted:

Besides, my real life buddy sunk as much cash into Star Citizen. That makes my irresponsibility better somehow. Because this exists, his doesn't.

True that. When I feel guilty about any gaming purchase, all I have to do is think of the people who spent $1000+ or even $3000+ on Star Citizen and I instantly feel better.

I do want to be unwise and just say 'gently caress it' and get alpha access, but ... argh. I just can't bring myself to do it.

(Not yet, at least...)

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Wonder Turbine posted:

Think it was somewhere in this video. (e: 30 minutes in or so.)

It wasn't that one, the one I was talking about was about 10 minutes long and involved them carrying aroundnbabh horses on their backs. But that did include kpop cows, which is great. Thanks a ton.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Midrena posted:

I wonder why Trion would order the packages from most expensive to least on their official packages page
They're not the first to do this, take a look at EQ Landmark, same layout.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

If you have a good rig I've made some tweaks to the config file for the engine.
It makes a world of a difference in graphics quality.
  • Global Illuminaion
  • Motion Blur
  • Increased Fog Quality
  • Screen Space Ambient Occlusion
  • Increased Shadow Resolution
  • Normalized HDR Bloom and Level
  • Increased View Distance
  • Increased Object Rendering Distance
  • Increased Flora Rendering Distance
  • Enhanced ParticleFX with Motion Blur (No more terrible clipping!)
  • Better Depth of Field
  • and more!

Add these lines to system.cfg in Documents\ArcheAge
code:
r_ColorGrading = 2
r_motionblur = 2
r_WaterTessellationHW = 1
r_FogShadows = 1
r_fogShadowsWater = 1
e_GI = 1
r_SSReflections = 3
r_ssao = 3
r_ssdo = 0
r_FogShadows = 1
e_ShadowsMaxTexRes = 2048
e_ShadowsResScale = 40
e_ShadowsPoolSize = 4096

e_ViewDistRatio = 500
e_ViewDistRatioVegetation = 200
e_ViewDistRatioDetail = 200

e_MergedMeshesInstanceDist = 16.0
e_MergedMeshesViewDistRatio = 100

r_HDRBrightLevel = 1.0
r_HDRBloomRatio = 0.15

e_LodRatio = 80
e_TerrainLodRatio = 80

r_ParticlesSoftIsec = 1
r_ParticlesRefraction = 1
r_ParticlesTessellation = 1
e_ParticlesForceSoftParticles = 1
e_ParticlesObjectCollisions = 2
e_ParticlesMotionBlur = 2

r_DepthOfField = 2
r_DepthOfFieldBokeh = 1

r_Refraction = 1
r_SSII = 1
r_TerrainAO = 7
r_sunshafts = 1
r_Beams = 1
e_Tessellation = 1

e_Clouds = 1
e_ShadowsClouds = 1

r_Sharpening = 0.25

Lemon King fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Apr 25, 2014

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Robzilla posted:

They're not the first to do this, take a look at EQ Landmark, same layout.

Yeah but the difference is that Landmark's packages are laid out side by side, so you immediately see the cheaper options as well as the big package. For AA, you need to scroll to get a less eye-popping cost.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Midrena posted:

Yeah but the difference is that Landmark's packages are laid out side by side, so you immediately see the cheaper options as well as the big package. For AA, you need to scroll to get a less eye-popping cost.
I suppose when you're logged in, but I was more referring to https://www.archeagegame.com/en/shop/

Jargon
Apr 22, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

Scamming is encouraged, and tears are an actual currency? We have crossed the desert, this is the promised land.

If it's a non-lovely EVE and it makes more sense than Age of Wushu it sounds pretty excellent.

Midrena
May 2, 2009

Robzilla posted:

I suppose when you're logged in, but I was more referring to https://www.archeagegame.com/en/shop/

Ah, okay, you're totally right! Sorry about that, I was stupidly thinking of the other page this whole time.

By the by, the "beta access" thing -- isn't it just specific "beta weekends" now? If so, that means that the beta packages kind of suck because you're not really having access to the game continuously over a period of beta time.

Edit: Okay I only just noticed that the titles grant +3/+2/+1 to stats.

Midrena fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 25, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
What they're doing is having Alpha run 24/7, and beta runs on weekends for press events etc.

Once that's done they're just going to launch open beta which (I'm assuming) is 24/7.

Then we get the mystical launch.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
I typically only spend money on a game once I have put a certain amount of playtime into it, which completely stops me from buying most AAA titles at launch before a sale. No regrets there. I will probably be throwing down 150 for the founders pack on this however. There hasn't been an MMO I have looked forward to more since DAoC.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

It's pretty great so far. Is East/West tied to race or do you pick at a certain point?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
what they`re doing is milking us as much as much as they can. I`m pretty drunk at the moment, all I can do is write so i can hold myself from spending 140 euros. the worse is that im going to wake up tomorrow bored and regret it...

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Arrgytehpirate posted:

It's pretty great so far. Is East/West tied to race or do you pick at a certain point?

I believe so. Asian style races to the east, Western to the...west. Man that seems redundant.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

BobFromMarketing posted:

I believe so. Asian style races to the east, Western to the...west. Man that seems redundant.

Yeah, I just tested it. It looks like Whites/Elf is East, and Asians/Cats to the West

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Yeah, I just tested it. It looks like Whites/Elf is East, and Asians/Cats to the West

Tricky devils reversed it.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Oh gently caress. Maybe we should go East then? I'd rather not be Cats.

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp
Seconding the elves over cat people thing. But if we are all going pirates does it really matter what faction we join?
We could probably have a pair of guilds for pre pirates that have their own goals and then for anyone who wants to poo poo on people they can join the pirate guild after the requisite 300 kills.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

BobFromMarketing posted:

Tricky devils reversed it.

Actually, they didn't. I'm just a literal loving retard at 3am.

WHITE PEOPLE AND ELF ARE WEST

AZN AND CATS EAST

Christ. I loving, this god drat game. I have finals to study for.

BobFromMarketing posted:

Seconding the elves over cat people thing. But if we are all going pirates does it really matter what faction we join?

Only if we want to level together and poo poo I think. I haven't found a way to make the guild yet but I'll get to it over the next few days. I'll also look into getting a Mumble going.

spacemarine1999
Nov 26, 2013

The memory
of this experience
will fade
must control myself :(

they don't have dwarfes yet and all the npcs look like kpop stars :(

from watching streams the leveling seems very boring and grindy and I am somewhat afraid of trion actually going the p2w route, because the west is ready for that..

Midrena
May 2, 2009
About PvP (that is not the special siege stuff), is this accurate / has stuff changed?

- Level 1-30 are safe zones (also your house plot/farm is safe unless you decide to smack someone yourself)
- Level 30+ as well as all oceans are FFA PvP
- You can kill people on your own side but beware the crime/prison system

There's no looting, except for the tradepacks right?

Midrena fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 25, 2014

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
I thought on their stream for housing they said that housing will just cost in game currency to pay for the maintenance of it, but their FAQ says this:

quote:

What is Patron Status?
Patron Status grants all sorts of game boosts including improved labor regeneration, an experience bonus, the ability to own a house or farm, and loyalty rewards.

Bit disappointing that they've put the cool sandbox feature behind a paywall. Also the $ to £ ratio is pretty bad as its shade under $200 for me to buy the best pack. gently caress that noise. Hopefully they realise that alot of people won't pay silly money and hold pre-order sale the week before it comes out.

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Ahdinko posted:

I thought on their stream for housing they said that housing will just cost in game currency to pay for the maintenance of it, but their FAQ says this:

Bit disappointing that they've put the cool sandbox feature behind a paywall. Also the $ to £ ratio is pretty bad as its shade under $200 for me to buy the best pack. gently caress that noise. Hopefully they realise that alot of people won't pay silly money and hold pre-order sale the week before it comes out.

It's less disappointing and more a way to prevent people just registering a bazillion free accounts and spamming houses everywhere. I mean, you have to limit it somehow.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Poor impulse control when it comes to mmos, as always. 134.99€ paid and downloading now.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

cathead posted:

It's less disappointing and more a way to prevent people just registering a bazillion free accounts and spamming houses everywhere. I mean, you have to limit it somehow.

I thought thats where the in-game currency maintenance came into it? Just like SWG back in the day, with one account you could roll a bunch of characters and place 5 houses with each, but then you're paying maintenance on 50 houses and you're gonna need a lot of money, which prevented 99% of people from doing that.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Whilst the £110 they want for the top tier seems pretty steep what you get in it isn't actually all that bad. If you took out the £50 worth of credits and 3 months of patron you'd probably be down to around what you'd be paying for most MMO collectors editions, but you're forced to buy that on top of it which is a little silly. That being said if it's anything like Rift you'll probably want those credits and patron status anyway, so it could be worse.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Trion is still registered under the good guys in my personal mmo bookkeeping, because of the way they solved my issue when I had a cd-key issue during the Rift launch. Also this game seems kinda fun with pirates, pvp and housing. I hope for a rebirth of my UO boating days.

Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Actually, they didn't. I'm just a literal loving retard at 3am.

WHITE PEOPLE AND ELF ARE WEST

AZN AND CATS EAST

Christ. I loving, this god drat game. I have finals to study for.

Only if we want to level together and poo poo I think. I haven't found a way to make the guild yet but I'll get to it over the next few days. I'll also look into getting a Mumble going.
Any reason we can use oen of the already established mumbles? Like Camping The Stairs?

Arrgytehpirate posted:

2. I'm hell-banned from CTS.
That's a pretty good reason not to then.

Robzilla fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 25, 2014

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Robzilla posted:

Any reason we can use oen of the already established mumbles? Like Camping The Stairs?

1. If we get into any kind of serious business castle wars or whatever, we need more control then CTS gives.

2. I'm hell-banned from CTS.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Resistance if futile. :(

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of ESO and here I am heavily contemplating dropping $150 for some sweet sweet Alpha action. Why must I buy all the MMOs :sigh:

Sie
Apr 26, 2009

Anyone in UK/Europe been successful in using a VPN to buy access for $150?

I've not tried it myself yet but its pretty much the main thing preventing me from diving in immediately. £150 converting to about £90 still ain't great but sub-£100 is something that sort of feel OK with. Over £100 though is a deal breaker; that is Trion continuing the great tradition of shafting those across the point with a completely unjustifiable price hike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BobFromMarketing
Jul 28, 2007

by Ralp

Stanley Pain posted:

Resistance if futile. :(

I haven't even begun to scratch the surface of ESO and here I am heavily contemplating dropping $150 for some sweet sweet Alpha action. Why must I buy all the MMOs :sigh:

Is ESO as much of a hot mess as I have heard?

• Locked thread