Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Control Volume posted:

Prav please do this thing

I finished writing the post but then I realized that it didn't have any anime in it AT ALL. So I scrapped the whole thing and started over. Please wait warmly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

So today wasn't too bad, despite the crashes and limited mod selection. We finished with >63% winrate for the session.

Desuwa posted:

No, the 76 definitely isn't better. The 76 is a valid choice but I give the nod to the 57. The 76 got buffed for the A-43 but it still has much worse handling and worse accuracy. It's got 13 more silver pen but a lot less gold pen, and when fighting t8s the 57mm APCR is just better. When fighting other mediums the 57 will let you trade two for one more often, when it comes to it. There really isn't a large alpha difference between them, not enough for me to give up the 57's handling.

Yeah, we've argued this before. I think that basically both guns are viable and it comes down to personal preference. I did well enough in that tank with the 76, however, to be able to say that that gun is great on the tank. I had no problems with pen or handling. The differences in alpha or DPM might not be huge, but the 57 does so little damage that I think that's why it feels insufficient, regardless of it's accuracy or APCR pen. Going back to our DPM discussion, you're generally not sitting there holding LMB, so you have to count on making each shot count rather than hoping you can deliver 50% more penetrating hits just to make up the difference in alpha. Based on how I play medium/light tanks, the 76 is the better gun on that tank.

Subyng posted:

This is just goddamn ludicrous. Every single game in my Pz.Sfl.V today has been a top-of-the-scoreboard loss. I play any other tank? Effortless win. Go back to the Emil? Top damage loss, every time. Before, I had games where my lemming team would just collapse instantly, and I would not even get the chance to get more than a shot or two off before being overrun. Now, I'm clicking red tanks left and right and my team STILL can't muster up a win. My god.

For context, for the past 70 games in this tank, pretty much every game has been a loss. I can count the number of wins in those past games on one hand, and they were all games in which my team steamrolled the other leaving me in the dust.

Recently, tier 7 has been like this for every tank. Our platoon does well at every other tier, but tier 7 is agonizing. Today's session went OK though, I got all my tier 7 dailies done. Nowadays I'll offer to platoon a tier 7 in with pref 8s, which works for me and lets the other 2 guys grind credits, so everybody's happy.

srb posted:

Why would they nerf my 76mm Sherman? Goddamnit.

I guess I will play my 10 degrees of depression Panzer IV instead.

As for streamers, FunkyJRob's not only great at the game he also has pretty good taste in music + is super fit, a real role model.

Because the M4 was so goddamn OP, that's why. It's not like those weak-rear end Waffles that obviously need to be buffed.

And as for the FunkyJ thing...lol.

Keksen posted:

Counterpoint: I will not waste my time by dragging out an already won game because some pubbie shitlord wants to deal one damaging shot in the game after all and begins to drive his T95 with a broken engine up a hill to go kill the last enemy on the other side of the map while spamming "NO CAP IDIOT" in team chat.

Yeah, it's one thing if your team can easily clean up the rest of the enemies, but if they're fast, or hidden, or whatever, capping can be the difference between a win and a draw. A few days ago we had a match where there was one enemy left. I was in a SU-101 so I was fast enough to hunt for him, but as the clock counted down I realized we couldn't be sure of finding him before the round ended. A teammate was on cap, and with 2 minutes remaining I turned around to join him. We barely won because of that, and if I had continued to hunt the last tank we would've drawn it out.

yaay posted:

I'm trying to get a t-70 into historical battle mode but it's looking like the queue is too stuffed with heavy tanks for the mm to not poo poo itself. It looks like it's going to have some teething troubles.

e: after several attempts with a t-70 and then a t-34, nothing but getting kicked to queue every time. gently caress wehraboo pubbies and their 300 tigers out of 400 tanks total in queue.

On the test server I tried a few historical battles with the lower tier tanks and got in pretty quickly. Everyone wanted to play the higher-tier poo poo so I ended up being the only T-70 or Pz3 or whatever, but I got in right away. I assumed it would be similar on the live server, but, welp.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

I've read some very disconcerting opinions about the Type 58 in this thread, people (using the term loosely) who think that it's not - at least - on par with the T-34-85.

I'm pretty sure that this issue at it's core comes from you lot being a bunch of coddled babies who can't function without infinite AP pen and whose assessment of a tank starts and ends with if it can AP pen a tier +2 heavy tank from the front.

And I mean sure, who doesn't like ramming their gun into someone's lower front to achieve penetration over and over and over until you're rewarded with a satisfying explosion? But there's more to tanking than just that, more opportunities, and additional areas to be seen to. A medium-tank favorite is rubbing up to the others side and staying very, very close, grinding up and down their side. So close that you can hear - almost feel - their

... I think I'm getting side-tracked here. Anyway. Type 58 against the T-34-85. They're both basically similar tanks that do the same things in the same manner, and they're both pretty decent at it. The deal is that the T-34-85 has a more powerful gun and engine, while the Type 58 does just about everything else a little better. Refer to this graphic for details:

I'll be glossing over armor because really, it's the same drat thing on both tanks; the turret front tends to bounce glancing shells but otherwise you don't have armor.

Let's start with camo. As anyone with taste can see, the Type 58 is significantly cuter in all setups:
Gallery, Type 58
Gallery, T-34-85

Well OK the Soviet desert camo is pretty sweet as well. But we can see that the 58 is the sweetest lil' cutie.

Next, health. I believe this chart says all that needs to be said:

Clear, overwhelming advantage for the Type 58. No but a little seriously, more HP is always a good thing and you're way more likely to survive two D-25s or three 90 mm M3s in the 58 than in the T-34-85.

We've also got view range, where I've got another chart showing the 58's clear and crushing dominance.

Just look at that. Oh wait you can't because you're in a T-34-85! :iceburn:

Moving on, we see that neither tank can turn on the spot and both have identical somewhat-above-average track bloom and very low track HP. Fairly weak areas for both, but there's no advantage to either here. Next up, mobility, horsepower and passability.

I'll just say it straight: the T-34-85 has a more powerful engine. Enough so to overcome the tank's heavier weight. Now as much as I want to, I won't claim that 16 is a bigger number than 17,8. But god help me I'll try. See, the answer lies in passability, especially over medium ground, where the Type 58 has a nontrivial advantage.

Now passability/ground resistance is a tricky stat that works as a multiplier on base ground resistance (friction). We don't actually know that value other than indirectly by experience. But at it's base a bad (high) ground resistance (extreme case: IS-7) makes your tank gain speed significantly more slowly as you increase in speed and bleed a fair bit when turning, while a low ground resistance (extreme case: T-62A) makes your tank feel a little more floaty and relatively slow to accelerate while maintaining speed very well.

Lower is purely better here unless you're in a T71 and don't enjoy powersliding around corners (in which case you're a terrible person. Just fyi.).

Anyway in the comparison that we're looking at here we have a tank with higher hp/t and mediocre passability against a tank with pretty good passability but a bit lower lower hp/t. In practice this means that the T-34-85 accelerates quicker at low speeds, but at mid-high speeds the Type 58 will overtake it. Hills are mostly a wash, unless they're really steep in which case the T-34-85 will get up them slightly faster. But really you should have better things to do than pretend your 7/5° gun dep tank is a mountain goat.

Looking at this I have to say that the T-34-85 makes slightly better tradeoffs here, even with how annoying 1,3 med. pass. is on a medium (cf. Pershing, 3002DB). Thankfully, as always, the Type 58 rewards us for putting up with it's shortcomings by having a nice advantage in traverses, especially on the tracks where frankly the T-34-85 is kinda sluggish at 38°/s. As much as I love the Cromwell, a medium tank shouldn't be less agile than an old man with Parkinson's (cf. my dad, who still turns considerably quicker than 38°/s).

Next, the big one: the gun. Ok, are you ready for this?

The Type 58 has the better gun.

It fires significantly faster, with almost as much alpha and even if it has less pen it's still enough (just load a gold shell you big baby) and the -0,02 turret bloom should not be underestimated, it does wonderful things for your target acquisition speed - especially considering that the 0,22 tracks mean that you need every bit of relief you can get.

This adds up to you putting more damage into the target more quickly. If this is not the case, please play better. Refer to this Chinese cartoon for correct loading procedure when you need to j-j-jam it in.

Accuracy-wise, 0,38=0,37. Prove me wrong. (8.6 did strange things to the game)

The gun depression... yeah it just hurts. 7° isn't enough to let the T-34-85 do much hulldown antics or anything like that, but it also doesn't get in the way very often. Absolutely a point in the T-34-85s favour, so the question is can you deal with 2° less gun dep in exchange for driving the cooler, prettier and more deadly tank?

... of course you can. Don't be like that.

I promised anime, so have the SDM crew painting a KV-2. Remilia is part of the aristocracy but still does the right thing :ussr:. She's still a bad Touhou though. Unlike Alice, who is the loveliest.

Just look at that smile.

Anyway in closing the Type 58 is the best tank because I have a ten kill Pool's Medal in it and you're a bad person if you disagree. Also it stomps all over IS-3s. Thank you and good night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4rrvLo1DJM

PS. Actually I take all that back, the T-34-85 wins because you can paint STALIN on it. STALIN. bring back lf. peace out.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Prav posted:

I promised anime, so have the SDM crew painting a KV-2. Remilia is part of the aristocracy but still does the right thing :ussr:. She's still a bad Touhou though. Unlike Alice, who is the loveliest.

Yikes, looks like the only thing right in your post is your opinion on Mongolian cartoons.

Atomizer posted:

He said "face-to-face" with the T28 Proto which implies the front, not the sides.

You can still pen the cheeks of the turret when they're facing you dead-on, they're ridiculously thin so the angle isn't as big a problem. You need a fair amount of pen though.

If you've been grinding the 101 and doing well, I would like some tips. Did you unlock the top gun already?

Slim Jim Pickens fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 18, 2014

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Speaking of anime, from this guy after he kept throwing around the words "jap" and "chink":

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Dr. Cogwerks posted:

Speaking of anime, from this guy after he kept throwing around the words "jap" and "chink":

How can I be anti-semitic, I love money and Woody Allen movies

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there a consensus about the best no-turret tier 5 TD?

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I've played about 15 or so battles post patch and havent encountered the crashing yet. Somebody on the eu forums guessed that it may have something to do with vsync enabled.
I run wot on a bare minimum setup on my laptop and medium to high on the desktop.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

What just happened to my screen.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Is there a consensus about the best no-turret tier 5 TD?

It's the SU-85.

Actually, they're all quite good except for the AT-2, which is situational.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The StuG III ausf. Gangster is still the best overall package, I believe.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go
Best T14 game I've had so far, top-tier city fighting is pretty great with this thing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's the SU-85.

Actually, they're all quite good except for the AT-2, which is situational.

The S35 CA might not be pretty, but it's the only T5 TD left that has a 'gently caress you' gun in the 105mm. 300 alpha at T5 coupled with a really generous gun traverse is nasty.

Furiously
Jan 4, 2014

...and Furiously as The Beagle.
Crashing every 3rd game really started to make me drink too much tonight.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The generally-accepted first stab at a workaround posited by players is 'turn off the advanced graphics.'

Another guy had a brainwave to play until he crashed, then start into WoT on another laptop. It worked...until he tried to switch to another tank's POV (as he'd died). Then the game crashed on the second laptop and remained crashed until the match was over, at which point everyone who has experienced a crash is allowed back into the client.

This isn't quite on the level of CCP's 'delete boot.ini' fuckup, but it's still pretty major, and they're absolute morons if they bring CW back still under the impression that "oh hey it's just Hellcats that cause the problem."

I'm also mildly annoyed that this will undoubtedly stunt my grind for the WTF.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
Doesn't the S35 get 330 alpha on the APCR for even more gently caress You?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

srb posted:

Doesn't the S35 get 330 alpha on the APCR for even more gently caress You?

Yes. And you generally want to carry a decent handful for the T7 games you get into.

NVB
Jan 23, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Carn't decide which boom stick i should free XP unlock ??

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The idea that this is loving with someone's on track event is the only upside to these crashes. Don't ruin it for me.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

Cummander ross, reporting for duty!

:gooncamp:
Challenger did a video on the JT. The archive footage shows that when the big stupid thing was actually running, it could really shift - but notice how badly the barrel wobbles when it's not on the gun crutch. Real practical :rolleye:

lucasw99
Apr 5, 2011

Mesadoram posted:

Yup. They are making it more "Real" or some stupid poo poo like that.

You can turn it off. I can't remember the exact phrasing but its something to do with optics effects in sniper mode. Look for a check box you can untick.

For me all my maps are now really bright.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Atrocious Pirate posted:

Get the long 128mm. You want to get to the WTF as soon as possible.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The S35 CA might not be pretty, but it's the only T5 TD left that has a 'gently caress you' gun in the 105mm. 300 alpha at T5 coupled with a really generous gun traverse is nasty.

Why aren't you shooting gold? Are you some kind of shitler? :raise:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

rossmum posted:

Why aren't you shooting gold? Are you some kind of shitler? :raise:

25/15/2 for AP/APCR/HE. I'm not going to shoot gold at something I can pen with AP, but I keep a good amount of APCR for iffy T7 heavy targets.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Apr 18, 2014

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

But the gold does more damage as well as better pen.

brosef
Jan 19, 2009
It also costs like 15x more.

Cpt Thorne
Apr 13, 2009

Something isn't right with wn8:

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Here is a supposed crash fix:

http://ftr.wot-news.com/2014/04/18/wot-game-crash-bug-fix/

Haven't tried it yet.

e: it doesn't work

Gervasius fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Apr 18, 2014

Missing Name
Jan 5, 2013

Jesus, saved whole page for posterity.

I can get the Leopard! The problem will be having enough credits to retrain my Luchsrywagen crew right now... guess I should grind until the commander finishes sixth sense.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
Man, the new 34-85 is absolutely gorgeous. Hopefully they'll upgrade a bunch more models in the mid-tiers next.

Dahak
Dec 8, 2013

Atrocious Pirate posted:

12.8cm. The 15cms are trap guns on tiers 8-10 in that line.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I have yet to take a single point of damage in my Tiger on historical battle mode.
A single point.

The gun? Yeah, breaks occasionally.
The tracks? Yeah, those too.
Losses? Sure, when I'm the last one left and the enemy decides to cap instead of plinking away at my cloak of invulnerability.

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I have yet to take a single point of damage in my Tiger on historical battle mode.
A single point.

The gun? Yeah, breaks occasionally.
The tracks? Yeah, those too.
Losses? Sure, when I'm the last one left and the enemy decides to cap instead of plinking away at my cloak of invulnerability.

I've only seen Tiger IIs so far, and without exception they've been driven by terrible idiots who hide in a corner all game and then get rushed by ten shermans.

Historical battles are pretty drat sweet.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

To be fair, I'm always on Prokhorovka, top tier and the only Tiger on the map.

I feel that at least the SU-152s should be able to damage me based on the amount of HE damage coming my way.

Execu-speak
Jun 2, 2011

Welcome to the real world hippies!
Its nice to see they've completely reversed those arty nerfs they made a while back and its now as obnoxious as ever.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

I guess Wehraboos wanting to get in on the sweet top-tier Tiger action on Kursk might be the reason this battle will end up being incredibly rare.

/edit:
Wait, that doesn't make sense...I guess you'll just have incredibly low odds of actually ending up in a match before timing out in the queue while choosing the Tiger.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 18, 2014

Keksen
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6o7gjxszSs

New RNG. I like the scene with the E-50.

rossmum
Dec 2, 2008

I'd rather play my Panther in historical, or comedy pimpwagon it around in the PzIII or StuG.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Here's another thing that historical battles apparently mess up: Your recent stats on noobmeter.
This is my one historical match with the Tiger yesterday before the stats reset:

:confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rockopete
Jan 19, 2005

Duzzy Funlop posted:

To be fair, I'm always on Prokhorovka, top tier and the only Tiger on the map.

I feel that at least the SU-152s should be able to damage me based on the amount of HE damage coming my way.

That's weird, I played an SU-152 on Prokhorovka historical on the test server and I definitely hurt Tigers, hp-wise, with HE. What the hell did WG do to the patch between the test server and the 9.0 drop?

• Locked thread