Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
I love how if I die, and my perspective switches to a Hellcat, I get an immediate CTD and can't log back into the game until my current round is over, since it keeps loading me back into the same round and crashing.

Thanks WG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

On the other hand the Tiger II in historical battles is hilarious. You can two shot every M4 unless you really roll low, because they have the stock turret and have less than 480 hp. Unless you gently caress up and get surrounded most of the enemy team can't damage you. Half the enemy Hellcats just sit in spawn because they crash, which makes it even easier.

You also get one APCR round that you'll literally never fire because it's slightly more likely to bounce against what you're facing.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Easily the 76. The 57 isn't bad, but the 76 is just better and is specifically buffed for that tank.

No, the 76 definitely isn't better. The 76 is a valid choice but I give the nod to the 57. The 76 got buffed for the A-43 but it still has much worse handling and worse accuracy. It's got 13 more silver pen but a lot less gold pen, and when fighting t8s the 57mm APCR is just better. When fighting other mediums the 57 will let you trade two for one more often, when it comes to it. There really isn't a large alpha difference between them, not enough for me to give up the 57's handling.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I still have the graphics on improved, but I think I've reduced the number of crashes (not eliminated them) by deleting my %APPDATA%\Wargaming.net\WorldOfTanks folder. Someone on the forums said that there was a conflict between old and new config files, and that lead to some (but not all) of the crashes. It seems to have worked, I haven't had a crash since except for the Hellcat bug.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I am also having a problem where I get a black screen instead of loading into the garage after a battle. I haven't been able to trace it to any specific mod, anyone else having this issue?

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 19, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

scamtank posted:

Nothing in life is quite like attaching your Wheezy 31 to a T95's butt and putting ten 85mm holes into the engine bay.

I've done it in a 59-16 with tiny little 76mm APCR holes. It's even better, trust me.

I miss the 59-16, if the MM gets changed to be more favourable without nerfing it I might buy it again. It's just so silly.

edit:

This doesn't need words.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

I've had no CTDs since clearing my appdata/wargaming.net folder, and switching to standard render. Of course my game looks like complete garbage but hey, at least it runs.

Standard render reportedly fixes 100% of CTDs. Not sure about my black screen when returning to garage, I might give it a try because WG is going to take weeks to fix this poo poo.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I have found the worst thing. Three stock Hellcats slowly killing two Tiger IIs that have crashed out. It would've been hilarious if I were on the US side, but I wasn't.

:suicide:

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Is anyone else getting blackscreens after battles instead of loading the garage? I've heard conflicting reports on whether this is caused by a mod or not. It's unrelated to graphics being standard or improved.

Also setting graphics to standard reportedly fixes all the CTDs. I haven't had any CTDs since switching myself. It is a good time to take a break from this lovely game. I'm only playing tournaments and CW until WG fixes their poo poo.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Okay, black screens after battles is confirmed for being an XVM bug. Happens with only XVM installed, and it's mentioned in the XVM bug reporting thread. Upgrading to XVM nightly fixes it, but it switches the config format and breaks a lot of things. Still better than constantly needing to restart, and I can slowly fix my configuration file to work.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I feel like autoaim is useless now. I used to use it a fair bit peeking over hills, around obstacles, or just taking on the move snapshot prayers to the RNG. Now it aims for the centre of the floor of the tank, and it's too low to use. Even on flat ground 1/3 of the shots will go too low, under the tank (or even into the ground far short of the tank. Peeking over hills means you have to wait for the bottom of their tank to be visible, otherwise you'll just hit the ground.

I thought the new autoaim would be great, since I thought it was aiming at the volumetric centre of the hull, but it's almost unusable as it is now. I'm going to have to really change my behaviour in tanks with good gun handling because of it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

rossmum posted:

Meanwhile on the RU server, here are 15 minutes of nonstop profanity, taunting, and excellent 215b play.

If you aren't following W4RD, you should be! You'll learn all sorts of new and exciting things to say next time you're on the test server!

Running food over a fire extinguisher on a tank that already has amazing gun handling, accuracy, rate of fire, and a :supaburn: front-mounted engine and fuel tanks :supaburn: is a terrible idea.

I could see running a SHSL and food over the medkit, though. I wouldn't do it but the rear fighting compartment would make it pretty viable, especially if you had a commander with JOAT.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I find t4 and t7 to be the most frustrating tiers in general.

There are a lot more t6 guns that can one-shot t4s than there are t5 guns that can one-shot t3s without HE, so t4 is oddly worse off than t3. Neither tier does particularly well in t5/t6 matches, though, and there is a definite power spike after t4. This is ignoring t4 tds, which are almost (poor Sau-40) all very strong vehicles.

From my experience the power difference between t7 and t9 is harder to overcome than the difference between t8 and t10. There are exceptions but I feel the average t9 can handle the average t7 without taking as much damage in return as the average t10 against the average t8.

There's also a bit of pain with t5 and t6 due to the general jump in health at t7, though again I think t6 can handle t8 more than t5 can handle t7, but it's overshadowed by how much t5 and t6 get to beat on low tiers.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

The problem with WN8 isn't the expected damages, it's with how different tanks scale differently in the hands of better players. It's much easier for a player to do two times the expected damage in a Hellcat than it is to do two times the expected damage in an ARL V39, but WN8 gives both accomplishments the same weight. I know they know of this problem and had some ideas to fix it, but left them out of WN8 for the sake of not making it too complicated too quickly.

There's also no mechanism to update expected values as the game changes or more data becomes available. They really need to set some authoritative source for expected values and version it (like this is WN8.1, and the next time the stats are updated it'll be 8.2, so you know what sites are using what version).

As for a lot of low tiers having ludicrously high expected values think of it this way. Most normal players are going to go right through them and will have very few games in them, so their performance in those tanks won't matter in the long run. However the players who rack up a significant number of games in t1-t4 tanks, to the point where it has a real effect on their overall stats, are fighting much less skilled players and should be expected to do well in them. It hurts new players but most new players aren't going to be following their stats anyway.

WN8 has a lot of good ideas, they just need to extend them more for WN9. Definitely an improvement over WN7 which was too focused on kills since damage varies too much between tanks at the same tier.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

cknoos posted:

Has anyone heard whether or not this hotfix resolved the CTD issues at all?

Edit: To chime in on the whole "hax" discussion, the closest thing I've found to a hack is "Warpack". No clue if it works as advertised, but here's the feature list:

Seems some people claim it's a scam, others dug up youtube videos of it in action (from http://forum.worldoftanks.com/index.php?/topic/271167-war-pack/)

It fixed the crashes for me.

Also warpack is a known thing. It's obviously against the rules. Thankfully this is a server-side game and warpack is as good as it gets for cheats. Even with the best cheat mods people still don't know where unspotted tanks are (unless they fire or knock something down), and can't force their shells to hit targets. It can give players obscenely unfair advantages but they still can't just hit a "win game" button, or fire 15 times and ammorack everyone.

edit:

VVVV
I suspect it's looking at where the enemies are pointing their guns.

No one I know uses warpack, or if they do they keep quiet about it. Frankly I'm glad that warpack is as bad as it gets in terms of "hacks" for this game. Warpack won't stop morons from running out into the open and dying and it won't help them if you move after every shot in arty as you should anyway because of regular counter-battery.

Also that guy whining in the thread is just a player in a bad clan that can't take land.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Apr 25, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

Boy, do you wanna watch a replay of a lovely player intentionally losing the game? Here you go!

It isn't the IS-8, he's just your average shitter. Our M53 on the other hand is a special kind of shithead. Fast forward until it's just me and a full health Tiger on the hill, and watch what our M53 does. When I track the Tiger in direct line of sight of our arti, make sure you check what our M53 is doing! Spoiler alert, it isn't aiming at the only remaining enemy tank.

Click dismiss platoon, ALT+F4.

I should record that loving bullshit, except my perspective jumps around too much. I'd be happier if that loving IS-8 were a bot.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

WN8 is useless garbage because it's so goddamn easy to game. You can also just run the SU-85B and get 4000+ WN8 across a session.

Any of the rating systems have always been pretty easy to game. They only really apply to non-padded accounts.

Overwined posted:

^^^ 100% of your posts in this thread are "Nah, <contrarian opinion>." It's a tired gimmick.

I think the big problem with WN8 regarding expected damage is that rather than a bell curve it's a loving needle. If you come ahead by just a few hundred damage you're like a god.

I had a 2k damage in my T71 the other night and it was an over 6000 WN8 match :rolleyes:

I've also had FCM games where I did a little under expected damage, but got 3k+ spotting and had 900 WN8s :rolleyes:

I think in theory this works, but in practice the nuts and bolts are totally out of whack.

WN8 doesn't take into account spotting damage even though it's available now. Too many people have too many games before spotting damage was available. It's an unfortunate limitation of any rating and we'll have to wait a long time for spotting damage data to accumulate before meaningful extrapolations can be made.

It's also not really applicable to individual matches. Think about it, if you averaged 2k damage in your T71, would 6000 WN8 in that tank be unreasonable? People always point to 10k+ WN8 games and say that's proof that it's broken but, honestly, if that was your average game you'd be the best player on the server and you'd deserve that ludicrous WN8 value.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Gervasius posted:

Okay, gently caress WN8 and here's why:

I had a decent game in my WZ-131, doing what scout should be doing: spotting for friendlies. Did 6,2k spotting damage but only some tiny direct damage.

Total WN8 for this battle: 264

No rating system can take spotting damage into account because WG didn't provide it before 0.8.8, and there aren't enough battles since 0.8.8 to draw meaningful conclusions. Even once there are, the problem of handling the thousands of games players have before 0.8.8, without spotting damage attached, isn't an easy one to solve. It's not a problem with WN8, any of the other rating systems would have put you very low as well.

edit: Firefighting is a terrible skill. I'd drop firefighting entirely for BIA and grab situational awareness and designated target over repairs. At that point I'd probably drop repairs on the driver as well and take clutch braking.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 28, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Gervasius posted:

It's my heavy crew that got temporary reassigment to scouts and we didn't have a gold discount on skill retraining in last couple of months, so they are kinda stuck with it. And I don't want to use silver skill reset because it would cost me a TON of crew XP.

Waiting for a skill drop sale is fair enough. I'd not have picked up firefighting in the meantime, though. Armourer, situational awareness, and clutch braking are all skills and are much more valuable than firefighting, even in a heavy tank.

I could see firefighting being part of the fifth skill on something with a frontal engine and fuel tanks, like the 215b. I almost never get lit on fire twice in it but it's probably the only tank in my garage where I wouldn't be surprised to have it happen.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

primelaw posted:

I was lit on fire three times in one match with mine.

The only tank I can actually remember getting lit on fire three times in is my Foch 155. It was a stupid match.

There are others but I can't remember the tanks I was in at the time.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Atomizer posted:

Eh, it's like the previous tank with a bigger gun. :shrug: Look at it this way: would you rather be driving that or the Lorraine?

The difference is you get 200 less burst damage and you face things with higher average health. You can no longer reliably handle a t8 heavy in a straight fight, though it's debatable whether the 50 100 can do that since chances are good one of those six shells will RNG into something it can't pen. But on the flip side you reload faster and dump that 1600 damage faster than the 1800 in the 50 100, and with higher alpha you're more likely to kill something with low health without giving them time to shoot back.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I need to get a radial mod to tell pubbies to win half their games before presuming to give me, or really anyone, advice. People who are learning the game for the first time don't need help from someone who plateaued at 45% The people learning the game for the first time are also the people most likely to follow and be harmed by those retarded ideas.

A loving retard I got in an argument with actually, literally defended his giving bad instructions to other players by saying that if his advice is actually bad then the other players will try it, die, and not do it again. This was one of the aforementioned 45% shitters who I called out for giving bad orders to other players ("sit still, don't get spotted" after he'd already been spotted, fired upon, and needed to MOVE RIGHT NOW to not get shot by artillery, for a real example).

Also infuriating is some retard, right at the beginning of the game, using that stupid radial "follow me" when I've already started moving in his direction. No, you stupid piece of poo poo. You don't get to mentally take credit because the point you spawned in was in the same direction I needed to move.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Rorac posted:

...would've meant he was at least attempting...

I watched an SU-101 sit a good 300 metres behind the rest of our team in a 4v6 scenario. We had a WTE that had finished loading on 1300 health, a T34 and RHM who were certainly doomed, and our useless SU-101 camping K0 on Ensk. The enemy didn't have a single tank above 600hp and two were even below 100, where even the SU-101's low alpha is a guaranteed kill, especially when he's faster and can dart around a corner and get his gun on target first.

The SU-101 could have done literally anything, including failing to succeed and just suiciding into their 1hp Object 704 to waste his shell, and it could have conceivably (no guarantee, but a fully loaded WTE against a bunch of low HP stuff is a great equalizer) lead to us winning the game, or at least having a chance. Instead he did literally nothing and watched three team members die, before driving in random directions and dying.

I got into a half-hour long argument with his stupid, delusional toddler logic (this is why I can't play the game outside of platoons, when I'm in a platoon people tell me to stop wasting time talking to animals), about how despite being alive the entire game and only getting two shots of damage, he was doing his best and trying to win. Camping K0 when field is clear, your allies need help, you can advance back into town safely, and all the enemies are one or two shot is apparently trying to win.

Even when I pointed out that he could have done literally anything, including trying to do something and failing, and it still could have won the game, he insisted he would have been instantly killed if he tried anything, so obviously his option was the best. Nevermind that we knew where all the enemies were and none of them could have shot him before he was in kissing range. He also said he was trying to line up shots; shots that, by necessity, would have been through all the rail cars on Ensk and at least two sets of buildings to hit any enemy tanks.

I wouldn't have singled him out if he had tried to do anything and failed at it, but he didn't even try to help and lost the game by default, and I could not make him see how camping as far away from the enemy team as possible wasn't trying to win.

edit:
In that game we had an E-100 do ~200 damage by firing HE before dying. Which is loving retarded, sure, but at least he was trying to win, in his own stupid, self-defeating way. I can't get as mad at that incompetent E-100 as I can at the cowardly SU-101 who watched his teammates die without even lifting a finger, and was theoretically competent enough at clicking tanks that he could have intervened, at least a little. There's a good chance we would have lost anyway, but I'll take a good chance at losing over a certain loss any game.

And when I say he could have just failed at accomplishing anything and it still could have won us the game, I mean he could have wasted a 704's shell so the WTE could kill it while it was reloading and not eat the ~750 damage he did. That's the bare minimum scenario I can think of that requires no skill, luck, or thought on the SU-101's part that still leads to a chance of victory.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 29, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Subyng posted:

This is bullshit for the Tiger though, it's turret is too far forward and people will just shoot your turret anyway.

Your turret is plenty thick and you have 80mm of side armour. The problem with the turret being too far forward is only that you might get tracked and unable to shoot back, but if you're doing it right you won't be taking damage if that happens anyway.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Taerkar posted:

80mm is bad with the KT for sidescraping, but the KT's front is practically 2x as good.

That's plain wrong. The Tiger II is great for sidescraping, much better than the Tiger I due to the turret being better positioned for it.

As for that pubbie, if he weren't offering money I'd have told him to watch some better players play, read guides from good players, and think. I honestly think taking responsibility for your own learning will get you further, faster, than asking someone to teach you.

But since he's paying that changes it. On top of giving him general tips I'd ask for some of his replays, both ones he thinks he did well or poorly in and some randomly selected, and just go over them to see what he's doing right and wrong first. Contrast them with some of your own, or at least highlights from them. Focus more on decision making and situational awareness than twitch reactions or raw skill, those are hard/impossible to teach and you should be able to get high 50s, easy, without being an FPS savant.

Well that's how I'd approach it anyway.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Guy with 30k games, 20k of which are in the 38H.

Does not carry a repair kit and leaves his rear end pointed at my IIJ.

I've seen everything.

edit: literally a minute later this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdrCsB23GoU

I had no idea the red army choir did this stuff.

Why are there so many things to see?

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 30, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

winterwerefox posted:

I had some special level bullshit happen to me in a game in my IS-6 on arctic region. we are pushing up south behind that ridge, when i poke my nose out a bit too much, and get splashed by arty. I get some ammo rack damage, my reload going into 20+ seconds. I hit my repair kit, only for the thing to tell me that my ammo rack is undamaged. What happened to me there? Did I magically take exactly enough damage to drop me to damaged so my reload is hosed, but not enough to let me repair it?

Your loader died. :rip:

I've tried to repair my driver and heal my ammo rack too.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Darkrenown posted:

So, what's with the final engine on both the T9 Chinese tanks? 46k XP to gain 20HP? Doesn't seem at all worth it. Is it just a trap or have people found it makes a difference?

They'll have higher health points.

Also there's a catch with horsepower; we were told that horsepower is nonlinear, though we don't know how exactly it works, and that 20HP will increase mobility more than it seems like it should. I think it was Storm that said it in response to some engine upgrade that only gives 10 more horsepower.

It's probably just them switching some of the hidden stats on upgraded engines, the same hidden stats that make HP/ton unreliable as an indicator of acceleration.

Still probably a minor upgrade, and if you're just going through them as fast as you can they're probably things you can justify skipping.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Two shots RNGing away from the paper superstructure of a Valentine AT away from a Raseiniai Heroes medal. I can't really complain though, this is sealclubbing of the highest order. I even almost throw it all at the end walking into an arty shotgun. I was going to try to bait his shot but I ended up just driving into it.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Humans are very, very bad at understanding probabilities. Part of it is overemphasizing the negatives. A few bad things in a row stands out a lot more than a few good things in a row, which is seen as "normal" even if it's unusually fortunate.

Likewise seeing patterns that aren't there. There are a lot of good reasons our brains do this, and it's also where superstitions come from, but it really doesn't help when dealing with something that we actually know for a fact is random.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

primelaw posted:

I'll go ahead and tell you that the bar to win any gold in these tend to be extremely high, especially nowadays since players in the good clans actively compete in every skirmish since it pays out a metric ton of gold for the effort.

Under the old format sure, under the new format IOC can win gold.

Make sure to sign up for the full bracket since there's no benefit to only signing up for the bravo playoffs; anyone who doesn't make the cutoff for alpha still gets into bravo anyway.

With the group stage the top 50% earns some gold, and honestly getting in the top 25% should be reasonable for competent first-timers. You can earn 5k from the group stage if you get in the top 10%.

edit: The group stage is round-robin single games inside of groups of teams. You do the group stage for three days and you can't be eliminated during it. It determines who gets into the alpha playoffs and what seeds they use. If you do well in the group playoffs you're likely to be seeded well in the alpha playoffs and you'll be more likely to win a few against lower seeds to get a bit more gold.

Also the playoffs are split into 16-team tournaments instead of the much larger tournaments of the past. If you're in an alpha playoff you're guaranteed at least 250 gold on top of the group stage payout, and it can only go up. You're not going to get eliminated on the second day to the best team and get nothing as you could in the past.

Subyng posted:

It's not necessarily confirmation bias. Just because something is random doesn't mean patterns can't appear. If you rolled a random 6-sided die and it landed on 3 every time, it's still random. It's also perfectly possible for the RNG to be skewing shots towards the edge of the aiming circle repeatedly over a number of shots over a number of games, just like it's possible for you to get team after team of shitters with no reprise for a week. Probability has no memory.

This is wrong though. A pattern "appearing" in the output of something random is meaningless, but the problem is our brains give it meaning because that's how they're wired to work, and for good reason. Rarely did we actually deal with completely random things in the past, and recognizing patterns even without understanding them was, and still is, very important. It doesn't mean the pattern continues. If patterns were truly appearing then the RNG would have to have memory.

The RNG skewing towards the outside of the circle and a fair die landing on 3 every time are also completely different things. One is an improbable (but really no less probable than any other individual set of rolls) outcome, the other is a problem of the values not being distributed as they should be.

Unless you can back it up with some hard data it loving is confirmation bias. It's randomly distributed in a known way and we can test it. It actually has been tested in the past, and it was, at one point, found to be bugged and got fixed. The likelihood (and I'm using the actual meaning of likelihood in a statistical setting) that the shot distribution is biased in some unintended (it's intentionally biased towards the centre) way, now, is vanishingly small. Arguing that it could be biased when we have numbers that say that it isn't is, frankly, bullshit. Sure there's a non-zero, vanishingly small, chance of it being biased but there's also a non-zero chance of a lot of stupid things.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 07:06 on May 1, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Tracula posted:

It's just funny to me that all the british TD's from tier 5-9 are basically high RoF DPM machines and then bam, deathstar who can hit nearly twice as hard as the loving JPzE100.

With HESH full pens the 183 has the highest theoretical DPM in the game, I think.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

We were 5th from the top, so we were matched up with _SOB_ who were fifth from the bottom. That kind of sucks, but what really sucks is we need four players or else we forfeit, meaning if we don't get any of the _SOB_ fuckers to show up we're done.

Ahaha this is so loving retarded. I can't believe they thought this was a good idea. It's basically slapping a huge handicap on the best teams if their retards even bother to show. It's going to basically be 3v6 when they fight more moderately seeded teams.

I am glad I sat this one out.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

AlmightyPants posted:

I unlocked the Object 263 tonight. Yet another useless tier 10 tank that will never see clan wars!

Having just finished the SU-122-54 my thoughts are as follows:

It would be a good TD if not for 2 things:

1. Too many TDs in general, most of which are better than it. Seriously, you have a dinky, inaccurate gun. You have very little armor. You are rare and everyone wants their mastery badge. You are an easy target and most other TDs will chew through you. I was hoping to brawl with heavies and mediums, where it excels. Instead I spent my time trying not to get vaporized by opposing TDs.

2. The WZ-120 does everything the SU-122-54 does but it has a turret. Seriously, the WZ-120 is a SU-122-54 that is better in every single way, except maybe hitpoints or something. The advantages of a turret and the bullshit turret means that you do everything better.

Don't buy a SU-122-54 unless you must have every tank. It's obsolete.

The 263 does see CW, especially after the Foch 155 was overnerfed.

On the other hand the 122-54 is basically a worse Foch in every respect except camo and alpha. It shouldn't brawl, either,

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

This event is better than the IS-6 one. If you have the credits you can just make sure you have like three tanks from each nation and just do doubles in them. The IS-6 one was t6 only and Japan only had the Chi-To. T4 and T5 tanks are cheap; if I didn't do tournaments I'd probably do this.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the IS-6 was also only two weeks instead of a full month so it was a really forced grind. Hell, if I make reasonable progress by the halfway point I might even switch gears and get it myself.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

PotatoManJack posted:

So is anyone actually doing the World on Fire stuff with their clan? I've been following the campaign reactions on the WoT forums, and it seems like anyone from a decent clan doesn't really care about it (with a few exceptions of clans that are doing it half assed), leaving a bunch of mid to low tier clans to fight over the fail tank.

I mean, if WG was looking to create an event that got new clans into CW, then I guess it's a success, but otherwise, it's pretty horrible as a campaign.

That's all bullshit. There's literally nothing else for a clan to do. It's either staying to farm gold or getting most of the same amount of gold and a tank. It's just like the second campaign where many clans claimed they weren't going to do it, but every clan ended up trying.

It's not like there's anything better to do, and a lot of clans were looking for an excuse to actually fight. Current CW rules favour farming on a small amount of territory (and even leaving some low income provinces unclaimed to reduce riot chances); no one wanted to fight when there was no reward for it, you'd lower your gold income, and you'd spend ages stamping out riots.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

WitchFetish posted:

gently caress.

It's not overpowered, it's a tank that can do well if driven by someone who can exploits good opportunities but dies quickly if they gently caress up, it's not some overpowered monster that can do 490 damage every 9 seconds while remaining entirely invisible because there's a shrub behind which to hide.

Welp, it was nice having a tank that was the right balance of fun to challenging.

I disagree. It was overpowered, but not egregiously. I can think of five tanks off the top of my head that need nerfs more, and I'm sure if I was pushed to rank them the Tiger wouldn't even be in the top ten, maybe even twenty, tanks I'd nerf first. Certainly ridiculous to nerf the Tiger when the T29 is right there at the same tier with the same MM weight and everything.

edit:

Tracula posted:

The Nashorn really is a terror at tier six. The top 88 on there rips through tier eights no problem and the thing has a cloaking device on top of it.

The Nashorn actually has worse camo than the toaster but you don't feel it as much because you have a wider traverse. The Nashorn is probably the best T6 TD for actually destroying tanks; it has the best gun by far once you factor in penetration, accuracy, and RoF. But unfortunately it falls behind the SU-100 and the Hellcat as an overall package.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 6, 2014

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Nordick posted:

Only if you fall in the trap of equipping the top gun on the Toaster. Stick to the short 88 and it has plenty wider traverse.

I can see why people do that but I think that gun is more of a trap, unless you just want to rush to the Nashorn.

The long 88 really made the toaster work for me. The narrow traverse is annoying but workable, since you have to stay at the maximum possible range anyway with the lovely camo and armour the thing has. The increased penetration, shell velocity, and accuracy over the short 88 really help when dealing with those long-range shots. Also critical is the damage. There are a lot of 480 health tanks at t5, and two 240 shells will kill them a small majority of the time, where it'll overwhelmingly take three 220 damage shells, leading to a longer time to kill and less ability to defend yourself in a pinch.

It's not especially good with either gun and is prone to getting one-shot by 105mm HE, which you still see enough of at t5 and the only defense is to increase the range even more.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

srb posted:

Don't free XP tanks, save it for modules.

*Unless they are artillery.

Artillery grinds are soul-crushing; you have high exp requirements, no shared guns, and you get low exp per battle since you don't spot your own targets. Not to mention that most of them just aren't fun to play. Some are better than others, but I skipped the 212A because it's literally the same as the SU-14-2 for another ~280k exp and gently caress that. I also plan to skip from the 304 to the CGC because I have it on good authority that the British line is complete poo poo between those two.

frood posted:

Why did you only bring 11? Is NTR's attendance that bad or did you just figure you didn't need more?

I think it was a really early battle, much earlier than NTR normally does CW, because of landing all over the map in different timezones for the mini-campaign.

Desuwa fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

sauer kraut posted:

Haha reload time nerf for the Tiger P.
Enjoy your overpowered 1.675 dpm machine while it lasts.

That change makes no loving sense. There's no way the Tiger P is overperforming now.

Then again I guess on the Russian server where no one does anything besides driving straight for the enemy cap front armour becomes OP.

• Locked thread