Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I've posted about my extended families shop and my arm-chair gentleman's racing through them before.
You may also remember me from the archives with my fantastic Flintstones 260Z: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3484179 ...and yes I'm still working on it at a snails pace.

On Monday - Chief Mechanic, Race Engineer, and All Around Scotsman Now Naturalized Citizen (CMRE) emails me out of the blue.

"Look what <your Dad> just bought!"

Toyota MR2 Mk1 ... Race car.
I'm stunned. I didn't call my father about it until well in the afternoon.

me: "What did you do?"
him: "What do you mean?"
me: <laughing> "You know drat well! Does mom know?"
him: "Oh the car! Yes, well ya know, what the hell right? Your mom? She was thrilled." <laughing>
me: "Am I supposed to know about this?"
him: "Well guys are doing this well into their 80s. I'm not getting any younger. I'm a bit bored." <pause>
him: "This way you have something to learn stick on." <laughter>
me: "That Monster sticker has got to go."
him: "Just a heat gun away. We'll see it this weekend."

Learn is right. I haven't driven stick since I was twelve on a 78 Chevy 454 and I was lovely at it then.
My father is an old tiger sensing the end I think.

So I'm trying to dig up details on the cars history.
It is a Midwestern Council car that's apparently been raced plenty of places.
#51 SCC and/or STS classes given a few other pictures.
Craigslist add is still out there: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/4373221269.html
The red car is also now in the family with yet another uncle.

I'll post more after the weekend.

Any help or information you goons feel like sharing I would appreciate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Hell yeah that thing is gonna be a blast to drive... 2300 pounds is nothing.

What are his plans for the drivetrain?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
You guys have to call everything "xtreme" and fist bump each other. It's in the bylaws of Monster sticker ownership.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I want the front lip off that car.

Pretty sure that is a rather rare piece, so I would suggest removing it before it gets destroyed on the track.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Negromancer posted:

I want the front lip off that car.

Pretty sure that is a rather rare piece, so I would suggest removing it before it gets destroyed on the track.

Thanks for this - I'll discuss it with them.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

extreme_accordion posted:

Thanks for this - I'll discuss it with them.

I would totally buy it if they don't want it. I don't even own a aw11 right now, but I will add it to my parts pile for when I eventually buy another one.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Got a much closer look this weekend at the cars. The laundry lists of parts are being made.
The car owners are going to Summit in Milwaukee today to get gear.
The red car needs to be ready by the end of next weekend to get ready for driving school.
Removable steering wheels and 'adjustable' seats are a top priority.
Both sound great and move faster than anyone has expected.

Low Farm Racing:

Moving clockwise starting with the CHUMP Car, red car (uncle), white car (dad).
Not pictured - black car cut up into pieces out behind the shop as that was all it was good for.

The phrase, "This could be fun." was uttered by more than a few over raised eyebrows this weekend.
No gauntlets or challenges thrown down yet other than readiness.

Negromancer posted:

Too late - it's been broken in a few places before.

Guy Random
Oct 22, 2010
Ha,I saw that add and couldn't get over how much fun that looked. I love to see old race cars actually getting used and not just parted.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

Guy Random posted:

Ha,I saw that add and couldn't get over how much fun that looked. I love to see old race cars actually getting used and not just parted.

Honestly at this point I think we got them at a total steal.
Sure the white car has some rot and bog issues - no biggie.

The belts are old enough that they need to get replaced.
Is there a market for older equipment like that or is it best to just throw it on the fire?
Need to remind my Dad to save anything that has TRD on it as it does look like OE equipment.

Kotaru
Jan 17, 2004

"Serve the Hive.....
Feel the groove.
I control....
the way you move."
Oooh! I know what you can do to that AW11...

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
I've been reading your thread. It has been awesome.
GET IT DONE.

As for this AW11... it can race vintage so no V6.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Red car will be driven this weekend at Blackhawk.

I still don't fit into the white car because we've been busy with what was the multicolor CHUMP car.

CHUMP:

Any advice on front springs for a car that is probably 200lbs lighter in the front than it was originally?

CHUMP car coming up on the 22nd is up for debate this weekend.

*edit: spelling sprints = springs

extreme_accordion fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 9, 2014

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
You can tell who has been to the track and who hasn't :smug:

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Son of a bitch, I'm like two minutes from Oconomowoc!

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

revmoo posted:

You can tell who has been to the track and who hasn't :smug:

As in driven on? Me no not yet ever but that will change this year with any luck.

Or are you making light of the awesome aero mods to the CHUMP car?

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Obscure reference, with your reg date you might not have been here for. I was referring to the speed holes (which are probably functional, not picking on you)

Stardotstar
Jun 2, 2012

Any advice on front springs for a car that is probably 200lbs lighter in the front than it was originally?

Depends on your current handling balance, but if it is sitting significantly higher in front (due to less weight compressing the spring) that will screw up your static camber: you will be running even more static camber than stock, which is super crappy for racing, especially with a strut suspension.

If you're keeping those springs, cut them down a coil or two. Cutting coils also increases the spring rate, so you'll have to drive it to see what works. Do you have anywhere nearby that you can use as a reference handling course, or any auto-x you can attend prior to the Chump race?

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
bonus video content = http://youtu.be/cgpzmOtjPhQ

Shake down 'laps'.

revmoo posted:

Obscure reference, with your reg date you might not have been here for. I was referring to the speed holes (which are probably functional, not picking on you)

Yeah I remember the speed holes. I chuckled when I saw them knowing we'd hear something about it. Anything for racing.
That was on a Honda hatch back wasn't it?

We kept the original springs and have a set of cut stock fronts from a modern FWD car.
The front was then 3 inches higher than the back. Cut two coils and only lost an inch.
Cut another half turn and then torched and bent them down to get to the nice low front we have now.
The quality of the video makes it hard to tell but the nose does not dive.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
The update train keeps coming today. Just got these.
All of the graphics were done in the last 8 hours.
When I last left the car I was helping mark reference points for them.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
That net /might/ pass inspection. Depends on how anal your inspector is being. If you can get your hand out 90 degrees with your arm locked, its supposed to fail. Based on your picture, that sounds likely. What a lot of people have been doing is putting a little lexan window in the front lower corner of the drivers window. It meets the "no hand out" rule but still lets you see your mirror.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009

parid posted:

That net /might/ pass inspection. Depends on how anal your inspector is being. If you can get your hand out 90 degrees with your arm locked, its supposed to fail. Based on your picture, that sounds likely. What a lot of people have been doing is putting a little lexan window in the front lower corner of the drivers window. It meets the "no hand out" rule but still lets you see your mirror.

Thanks I'll share - we are not thrilled with the net at all as all our drivers typically go out with arm restraint.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Thread isn't dead just not much going on.

Kermit won both races at the Hawk at Elkhart Lake, WI this year.
That was a run 17 years in the making for the owner/driver.
It's happened with Chief Mechanic Stig before but he's always been the faster driver.

The summer has lulled on and it's been terrible gorgeous weather so it's far easier to get out in the garage to work on my own project but lacked the motivation. Then I watched the Gramps 2.0 build on Mighty Car Mods (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0KnUFYB--gQq2CJBSCPG6Vs12Aw7Btb)

The garage is cleaner, the car has been cleaned out of it's horde of poo poo, emailed my father to see if he wanted to get together and help out, I started cleaning up my mess of poo poo in the basement. The well of motivation is no longer dry.

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
"Hi guys remember me! Lightning McQueen knows my name!"

So I've mentioned here and there that stuff is getting cleaned up and engine is out.

I got the engine on the stand in anticipation of spending some time with my father stripping it down. That didn't last. I had to get after it.

Here is the album on imgur: https://imgur.com/a/kNATD - Warning: Large photos.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The summer has lulled on and it's been terrible gorgeous weather so it's far easier to get out in the garage to work on my own project but lacked the motivation. Then I watched the Gramps 2.0 build on Mighty Car Mods (https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLp0KnUFYB--gQq2CJBSCPG6Vs12Aw7Btb)

And people say Youtube celebrities never do any good for the world. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extreme_accordion
Apr 9, 2009
Worked on the 66 Volvo this weekend since I was within 100 feet of it for the entire weekend. Got the resealed radiator back in. It was not pressure tested but was water tested... whatever that means. That petcock was a bitch.

We got the tar seal off the gas tank surround/mounting area and then failed to get the gas tank out as the sender nipple on the front of the tank prevents it from being lifted out easily.

Checked with LloydDobler who gave some good information on whats more important, bit of body work, or unobtanianium gas tank poo poo. Passed that along so my dad didn't gently caress that nipple up anymore than its been hosed up already by both of us.

• Locked thread