Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fleshpeg
Oct 23, 2001
Stop harassing me!
Alison and the pepper spray + rape whistle.

Sarah as Cosima.

This whole loving show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I love everything about this show.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I'm desperately not reading this thread due to spoilers, but does anyone know if there's anywhere to pick this up from legally? I know amazon took for loving ever on the first season, but it's there a season pass or something? I need this show in my life.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

cool kids inc. posted:

I'm desperately not reading this thread due to spoilers, but does anyone know if there's anywhere to pick this up from legally? I know amazon took for loving ever on the first season, but it's there a season pass or something? I need this show in my life.

Yeah, you can buy a season pass from Amazon.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, you can buy a season pass from Amazon.

Just to inform everyone else, I bought the season pass from Amazon for 0 dollars. I just double checked, that was not an error. They haven't uploaded the first episode yet, but it's definitely the pass for season 2. There is no excuse at this point for missing this.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

cool kids inc. posted:

Just to inform everyone else, I bought the season pass from Amazon for 0 dollars. I just double checked, that was not an error. They haven't uploaded the first episode yet, but it's definitely the pass for season 2. There is no excuse at this point for missing this.

Amazon posted:

By confirming your TV Pass purchase, you will buy 6 episodes of Orphan Black, Season 2 [HD] and will be charged $0.00 now. When new episodes become available, you will be charged the discounted price. You can cancel your TV Pass at any time.

You're not actually getting the new episodes for free, just the behind the scenes stuff and recaps.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Party Plane Jones posted:

You're not actually getting the new episodes for free, just the behind the scenes stuff and recaps.

Bah, thought I verified that. Ah well, thanks.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Postal Parcel posted:

Alison uses RAPE WHISTLE PEPPER SPRAY
It has no effect

Bedazzled rape whistle :colbert:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Alison still flying high as best clone.

Sarah freaking the gently caress out of Rachael brings her into second though.

Made with Air
Jan 30, 2007
I didn't rewatch Season 1 before tonight's episode and I had completely forgotten about the religion thread of the plot. Altogether so many things happening and being picked up again immediately!!! "Excuse my my sister shot me". :supaburn:

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
Goddamn Tatiana for all of the awards. One for each clone.

So loving glad this show is back. I'm not as surprised as I guess I should be about Helena (after watching two seasons of Arrow, the standard for "Oh gently caress" has been set high), but it's so great to see her back. Just give her some Splenda and she'll be right as rain.

Gonna be a really cool season with the religious group having a bigger role now. I wonder if it will reach the point where the clones have to join up with DYAD just to hold the other group at bay from their rampage. Or vice-versa.

"I smelled lesbians in my bed last night."

Axel Serenity fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 20, 2014

Popper
Nov 15, 2006

I can't believe you guys didn't know Helena was alive, if you go to IMDB you can see that her actor has been cast for every episode this season.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
That was a stellar opening episode and delivered in every way. All the good parts of season one were there with some new twists mixed in.

-Sarah gets cornered but gets out through quick thinking and determination and later shows Rachel just how determined she is.
-Clone A pretends to be Clone B well enough to fool some but not the ones closest to B. You could see Sarah thinking 'this is where Cosima makes some hand gestures' and quickly doing them.
-Alison's suburban life and higly illegal activities blending together wonderfully. Who else would think her community theater rehearsal would be a good time to hand over a black market gun to a fugitive ? 'We could meet at some random park but his way I save 30 minutes, giving me more time for custome making !'
-Art and Angela's continuing (and mostly futile) attempts to make sense of all the crazy poo poo they are seeing.
-Felix being painfully fabulous, especially when he's high as a kite.
-Helena getting basic human interactions wrong as usual. If you come to a hospital reception bleeding to death there is no need to excuse yourself, I'm sure they won't mind.

Those two Proletheans in the diner reminded me a bit of the two guys in the opening of Utopia.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
God dammit, why are they keeping her alive, she was easily the most boring clone and I'm including Katya and Beth. I don't want her bullshit subplot being dragged out even longer. Kill her and give the extra screentime to Allison aka the objectively best clone.

That one thing aside, this was a rad as hell episode with a shitload of great moments. Sarah snapping Rachel out of the smug bitch zone. :allears:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Popper posted:

I can't believe you guys didn't know Helena was alive, if you go to IMDB you can see that her actor has been cast for every episode this season.

:catstare:

can't tell if serious

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Popper posted:

Epic.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Not Leekie, his voice sounds like it has gravel in it. I'm guessing it's the Cult o' Freaky Fish Folk.

The whole Taiwan business and Taiwanese(?) showing up in Rachel's office is...interesting. I hope they're not going for the "creating Fountain of Youth for foreigners" thing, though.

They mention earlier in the episode that 'both the Koreas' are coming. And I think the patent reference is to the US supreme court, she mentioned it in German earlier, when she was on the phone.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sri.Theo posted:

And I think the patent reference is to the US supreme court, she mentioned it in German earlier, when she was on the phone.

Speaking of which anyone got a translation of what Rachel said on the phone? I've been trying to find one online without luck.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

macnbc posted:

Speaking of which anyone got a translation of what Rachel said on the phone? I've been trying to find one online without luck.

"Most of the patents were filed immediately after the Supreme Court decision. Thanks Mr. Schatzinger"

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
God drat this show. :suspense:

Maslany is incredible. Not only does she make every clone its own character, as soon as she shows up as one clone trying to pass as another you can instantly recognize it, it's amazing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Her body kinesics during the scene with Leekie and Rachel are really noticeable. She's carrying her center of gravity much lower in her hips and walks very confidently, almost prowling forward as she moves around the office.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Popper posted:

Holy poo poo, I just checked and the actress who played the german girl last season is listed too. How the heck are they going to justify that? Maybe a flashback?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

macnbc posted:

I caught Tatiana Maslany on Conan this week and it was mentioned that she was raised by a german mother and a german/polish dad and that they read her german cautionary tales ("Struwelpeter") when she was young. Her german was pretty rough around the edges, considering.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

mcbexx posted:

I caught Tatiana Maslany on Conan this week and it was mentioned that she was raised by a german mother and a german/polish dad and that they read her german cautionary tales ("Struwelpeter") when she was young. Her german was pretty rough around the edges, considering.

They shoulda just recast with the girl who played Katya.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The best thing about Helena being back is the creepy scratchy music that accompanies her scenes.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Of course:

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Google guesses what you're looking for based on your search history.

So, uh...what's up, Josh?

EDIT: Admittedly, "feet" comes up for me too, but it's like 4th on the list.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 20, 2014

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

tomapot posted:

Is that zombie show "In The Flesh" any good?

Yes, the first series was fantastic.

It's based around the rehabilitation of zombies after the suppression of an outbreak, where the zombies have started returning to their communities, some of which (especially those who lost people during the outbreak) still hate them.

Red Oktober fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Apr 20, 2014

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

tomapot posted:

Is that zombie show "In The Flesh" any good?

Yes, so long as you like your subtext heavy handed it's actually really good.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

PriorMarcus posted:

Yes, so long as you like your subtext heavy handed it's actually really good.

I wouldn't call it so much "subtext" as "text" at that point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Popper posted:

SPOILERS YOU JERK!

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Has there ever been information on how much Maslany gets paid?
As the OP demonstrates, she fills out half a dozen main roles and there will probably some more side characters.
She seems to be an amazing actress and she literally carries this show. That has to give some leverage.
What would the screenwriters do, if she demanded a giant raise? Write her character out of the show?
If she actually gets paid like any other part of the main cast, it is incredibly unfair. (Even if her German sounds really weird.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Air is lava! posted:

If she actually gets paid like any other part of the main cast, it is incredibly unfair. (Even if her German sounds really weird.)

Its a small show made in Canada with an actress that previous to this break out role had only been in a mildly note worthy werewolf movie.

She also doesn't really have any more screen time than the standard leading role actor would in a procedural show or similar so she really doesn't deserve to be swimming in gold or anything silly like that.

It's her job to play different roles, here she's just doing it on the same show.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Air is lava! posted:

What would the screenwriters do, if she demanded a giant raise? Write her character out of the show?

Cue the "Orphan Black without Tatiana" parody video. :allears:

PriorMarcus posted:

She also doesn't really have any more screen time than the standard leading role actor would in a procedural show or similar so she really doesn't deserve to be swimming in gold or anything silly like that.

I concur, what she does is amazing, but TV talent by a newcomer isn't going to equal the truly monster amounts of moolah. The gold will hopefully arrive in the form of a Golden Globe, and after this series concludes, it should be off to the races for her (barring the possibility of getting typecast as sci-fi, which still occupies a rather odd space in entertainment these days).

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
Love the show and the season opener was fantastic, but I have to admit I was very disappointed to see Helena turn up again. Surely there can be other crazy clones.

I was rooting for Allison to win her battle. It's a shame she didn't pull out a gun.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Cue the "Orphan Black without Tatiana" parody video. :allears:

I'd pay good money to see that made.

(barring the possibility of getting typecast as sci-fi, which still occupies a rather odd space in entertainment these days).

Where by "odd", you mean "will never win an Emmy award ever no matter how good it is."

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BBC preview for episode 2 is up if anyone just can't resist the temptation for a peek at a few new scenes.

macnbc posted:

Where by "odd", you mean "will never win an Emmy award ever no matter how good it is."

Yep. Hunger Games, Divergent, and the Star Trek/Wars remakes might get insane amounts of media attention and box office dollars compared to the itty bitty audience sci-fi used to have (hence why I didn't just say "stuck in the sci-fi ghetto" instead of "odd",), but actual awards for "quality" are still mainly reserved for the likes of Gritty and/or Historical Show (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and Goofy Show (Modern Family, Big Bang Theory). Which are good in their own little box, but all other boxes need not apply. :sigh:

You can also argue that TV sci-fi just doesn't have the budget for to do the kind of shiny boom bang that Hunger Games et al. can do on the big screen, but that's why I love this show: it's good because it has good writing, acting, and directing, period. The technology does enable an exciting premise, but it isn't the premise itself.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.

BBC preview for episode 2 is up if anyone just can't resist the temptation for a peek at a few new scenes.

Yep. Hunger Games, Divergent, and the Star Trek/Wars remakes might get insane amounts of media attention and box office dollars compared to the itty bitty audience sci-fi used to have (hence why I didn't just say "stuck in the sci-fi ghetto" instead of "odd",), but actual awards for "quality" are still mainly reserved for the likes of Gritty and/or Historical Show (Mad Men, Breaking Bad) and Goofy Show (Modern Family, Big Bang Theory). Which are good in their own little box, but all other boxes need not apply. :sigh:

You can also argue that TV sci-fi just doesn't have the budget for to do the kind of shiny boom bang that Hunger Games et al. can do on the big screen, but that's why I love this show: it's good because it has good writing, acting, and directing, period. The technology does enable an exciting premise, but it isn't the premise itself.
We had this discussion in Couch Chat a while back but I think pretty much it was concluded that sci-fi fans ruin the perception of sci-fi as a viable "quality" thing in any form of media because even if a hypothetical show/movie/book was basically something like Parenthood or Friday Night Lights or True Detective, but in space, all the sci-fi fans would ruin it by caring about the wrong stuff (i.e. going full :spergin: on all the technical hard sci-fi aspects that show up for 30 seconds).

I mean if we look at the other end of genre fiction, which is fantasy, sure there are the super spergs but I would argue Game of Thrones does well because there isn't an overwhelming amount of the audience :goonsay:-ing about the dumbest minor detail because you can explain it away with magic or something and no one will care if you do that but if it's sci-fi "magic" then all of a sudden they want to see the technical spec sheets so they can armchair physicist/bioengineer/rocket scientist the writers into being wrong and bad at their craft.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sober posted:

We had this discussion in Couch Chat a while back but I think pretty much it was concluded that sci-fi fans ruin the perception of sci-fi as a viable "quality" thing in any form of media because even if a hypothetical show/movie/book was basically something like Parenthood or Friday Night Lights or True Detective, but in space, all the sci-fi fans would ruin it by caring about the wrong stuff (i.e. going full :spergin: on all the technical hard sci-fi aspects that show up for 30 seconds).

I think Battlestar Galactica (new one obviously) did a good job of being a character drama that just happened to take place in space and didn't have people :spergin: out over it like Star Trek or Star Wars. I think certain actors in that series would've gotten multiple Emmys if they were in a New York City setting rather than on a spaceship. The double standards are ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

macnbc posted:

I think Battlestar Galactica (new one obviously) did a good job of being a character drama that just happened to take place in space and didn't have people :spergin: out over it like Star Trek or Star Wars. I think certain actors in that series would've gotten multiple Emmys if they were in a New York City setting rather than on a spaceship. The double standards are ridiculous.
That's because people were too busy trying to unravel the mystery, a la Lost.

• Locked thread