Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Josh Lyman posted:

That's because people were too busy trying to unravel the mystery, a la Lost.

...and Orphan Black doesn't have mysteries?

I mean the point I'm getting at is that the people who run/vote for the Emmys (and also to a certain extent the Oscars) don't see science fiction shows as a genre worthy of recognition. We're unlikely to see Tatiana Maslany get nominated for one, and if so she's virtually impossible to win.

This has nothing to do with fanbases or mysteries or whatever else out there. It's a simple double standard that exists in the industry and has for quite some time. (How an actor of Patrick Stewart's grade could go 7 years on Star Trek TNG and not even get a token nomination out of it says 20+ years now.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xarph
Jun 18, 2001

Ben Browder really needs to be on this show somehow. Before I knew of Orphan Black's existence I thought Farscape had the best same-actor-but-subtly-different-character performances, then Maslany did Sarah-as-Cosima and sold it just from mouth position, posture, tics like peeking over the glasses, and an accent that was slightly wrong.

I wonder if we're ever going to get to see Cosima impersonate Alison or vice versa. All of the swaps so far have involved Sarah.

Also I'm a straight man but GOD drat Jordan Gavaris has a enviable rear end.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

BBCA just uploaded the S2 premiere in its entirety for free! :woop: Cue the rewatch.

Orphan Black also just got a largely positive review in The New Yorker, of all places. This weird little show is growing up. :canada:

Woden
May 6, 2006
I thought Emmys were a US thing and since almost all TV sci-fi is done in Canada they're SOL.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Woden posted:

I thought Emmys were a US thing and since almost all TV sci-fi is done in Canada they're SOL.

If it's broadcast by a US network then it's eligible regardless of production location. Otherwise Downton Abbey would never be eligible, but it's got plenty of wins to back that up.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Combed Thunderclap posted:

BBCA just uploaded the S2 premiere in its entirety for free! :woop: Cue the rewatch.

Orphan Black also just got a largely positive review in The New Yorker, of all places. This weird little show is growing up. :canada:

Nice.

I was biking home many months ago and was stopped along Danforth Ave. for a film shoot. Stuck around for a while, saw Tatiana get out of a car, and now those few short moments of filming that I saw have all been put together. Great first episode :)

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!
Yeah basically with the Emmy's its the Sci-Fi part not the Canada part.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

And it's the return of Paranoid Alison!

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

I just want to make crazy science with you in our new lab :smugbert:

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
A trail of breadcrumbs

Also:

Acquilae posted:

I just want to make crazy science with you in our new lab :smugbert:

Appropriate Avatar/post combo

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I love this bizarre play.

I cant rhyme
Aug 19, 2007
Fe and Alison are amazing together.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Felix's painting, holy poo poo. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Mrs S being a badass :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

What the gently caress is even happening :stare:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > The TV IV > Orphan Black Season 2: I just want to make crazy science with you in our new lab.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I think I need to keep drinking for a while, and then I'll have an idea.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
RIP creepy priest

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hey look at that, I finally have something else I like about the show besides Tatiana Maslany. Peter Outerbridge's character is already better than everyone else on the show in one episode. Now they've finally introduced a subplot in the show that I'm interested in even if it does involve the ridiculous resurrection of Helena.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
drat, Mrs. S, that was hardcore.

Deadpool posted:

Hey look at that, I finally have something else I like about the show besides Tatiana Maslany. Peter Outerbridge's character is already better than everyone else on the show in one episode. Now they've finally introduced a subplot in the show that I'm interested in even if it does involve the ridiculous resurrection of Helena.
I am... wary of this. Poor Helena, I don't want to see her be used as a brood mare by religious freaks. Even though swapping Thomas for Reverend Mike is a huge trade up for the Prolethians in establishing them as a group that matters.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Regy Rusty posted:

What the gently caress is even happening :stare:

For the second episode of a new season they sure are putting the plot through some serious twists and turns. Alison's gone from signed, sealed, delivered to rock bottom, Sarah and Felix are about to go completely fugitive, and the Fish Folk have turned out to be rather less monolithic than previously thought. EDIT: Not to mention Angie, Art, and Mrs. S are now loose to run all over the place doing who knows what.

As always, not much has changed for Cosima, whose plot has always been running at such a slow pace that it barely exists, but, also as alawys, her character is amusing enough to make up for it. ("Rachel Duncan." "You sure are.")

Also, Rachel was on screen for all of two minutes but that was all it took to continue to make her both incredibly interesting (her reaction to the infertility issue) and incredibly loathsome. ("Seu. You're gaaay.") God but I love this show.

Combed Thunderclap fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 27, 2014

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
I have to admit I like Alison's new friend, other Sarah. I hope she can deal with her husband without cracking. Are her kids still around?

As for crazy clone, why couldn't they just leave her dead? Ugh

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Andrew_1985 posted:

I have to admit I like Alison's new friend, other Sarah. I hope she can deal with her husband without cracking. Are her kids still around?

As for crazy clone, why couldn't they just leave her dead? Ugh

We saw her kids at the funeral and I'm sure she still has her hot glue gun somewhere in her craft room :unsmigghh:

I don't mind Helena coming back since she's a great character though and she makes the new Prolethian villain pretty interesting.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
So these farmers plan to artificially impregnate Helena, like she is some sort of cattle? That is kind of creepy.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
:stare: :stare: :stare:

I guess Mrs. S. was not the professor shown in the picture. Unless she was a professor in murdering, it was clear these were not the first people she killed and probably won't be the last. With the amount of preview BBC America puts out I was worried most of the episode was spoiled but boy, was I ever wrong. Reuniting Kira with Sarah, splitting up Felix and Alison (boo !), tons of new characters introduced (and killed off) and basically every clone for herself for the time being.

The Rachel and Cosima scene was fantastic, so much hostility between them but Rachel knows Cosima's curiosity will always prevail and by giving her stuff to research and Delphine she will do her part. A few sinister hints were dropped about Dyad's history with eugenics and mass vaccination.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The producers of Orphan Black would like to thank Joel and Ethan Coen for making that last scene possible.

Deadpool posted:

He was pretty great in Regenesis.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
God, Cosima was especially pleasing to the eyes this episode.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
Gotta admit I was disappointed they brought Helena back at first, but her new subplot looks intriguing enough to be worth it.

I fully expect Allison to go postal next episode.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Deadpool posted:

Him popping up made me smile because of past role of his.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667938/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_57

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Him popping up made me smile because of past role of his.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0667938/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_57

One of two former CW villains to show up in this episode. Really hope the guy that played Death in Supernatural isn't just a one off.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

xarph posted:

Also I'm a straight man but GOD drat Jordan Gavaris has a enviable rear end.

I won't say that that rear end made the ep for me, but it definitely helped.

The farmers/pseudo-amish are weirding me the hell out.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
One thing I found interesting was Aynsley's tombstone death date. I had wondered how they were going to track the time frame of the show, since it is super-serialized and often goes from one episode to the next. Pushing the apparent finale of last season into this year helps keep the show "in the now".

Also recently found this, nice article Kathryn Alexandre (Tatiana's clone double):

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jarettwieselman/meet-the-woman-beisdes-tatiana-maslany-who-plays-every-singl

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:53 on May 1, 2014

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Combat Pretzel posted:

God, Cosima was especially pleasing to the eyes this episode.

A good choice of dress for sure.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

CeeJee posted:

:stare: :stare: :stare:

I guess Mrs. S. was not the professor shown in the picture. Unless she was a professor in murdering, it was clear these were not the first people she killed and probably won't be the last.

Haven't they mentioned a few times that she was part of the IRA or some other kind of radical group? They were talking about it even in this last episode.

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica

raditts posted:

Haven't they mentioned a few times that she was part of the IRA or some other kind of radical group? They were talking about it even in this last episode.

Yeah, I love Mrs S's take on the Thatcher years.

"England was burning. Maggie Thatcher firing on all barrels – at Ireland, the Falklands. She sacked social security, went after the immigrants, the poor, unions."

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

raditts posted:

I don't think they used the words IRA, but yeah, she's Irish and definitely ran guns for a political group. I'm not sure what other conclusion you're supposed to put together.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
Holy poo poo Mrs. S doesn't kid around. :stare:

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

We talked about the importance of make-up to create the Clones in the last thread, so why not on the importance of hair in this one? All the behind-the-scenes work on this show is seriously crazy.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

zoux posted:

One of two former CW villains to show up in this episode. Really hope the guy that played Death in Supernatural isn't just a one off.

I love that actor. Who was the other CW villain that showed up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Leelee posted:

I love that actor. Who was the other CW villain that showed up?

The cultist guy.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0653660/?ref_=tt_cl_t2

• Locked thread