Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arven
Sep 23, 2007

hit button posted:

Also, if I send a recycler to a debris field on a defended planet will I have to fight them or can I just suck up the resources?

Nope, your recyclers will suck up the resources and there is nothing the planet owner can do to stop them.

I'm building my first recycler now, I'll let you know if it's worth it at this stage.

Update- Not worth it. Recyclers have relatively high fuel cost, are extremely slow, and right now the debris fields are very small. So spending 100 deut for a 6 hour round trip only to get 1600 metal and 1600 crystal at a time isn't worth the 10 cruisers the prerequisite resources could have built.

There were lots of big debris fields around, but they're getting hoovered up by people who had the same idea I did.

Arven fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BERGfu
Aug 24, 2010

There are two groups which one am I supposed to be in?

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

It's not personal, it's strictly business.
Little tip: if you register for the simulator you can set your research levels in options and not have to do it every single time.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
A bunch of us are pretty established now so if you're on the fence now is a great time to join. We can provide some resources to jump start your economy.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."
I just got attacked over the weekend, anyone wanna go rape the dude? he's still sitting in orbit I think

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

I don't have a fleet right now, but I'll be willing to bankroll any offensive against the PUBS.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

I just got attacked over the weekend, anyone wanna go rape the dude? he's still sitting in orbit I think
What are his coordinates?

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Spyde posted:

What are his coordinates?

Frankendiller from Bacon city [2:15:4]

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Interstellar Owl posted:

Frankendiller from Bacon city [2:15:4]
Looks like that guy changed his name to "new player" and went on vacation mode. You win I guess?

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Spyde posted:

Looks like that guy changed his name to "new player" and went on vacation mode. You win I guess?

I didn't even beat him, he mauled my pitty defenses (I'm broke) and then camped for a day with 17 ships.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Interstellar Owl posted:

I didn't even beat him, he mauled my pitty defenses (I'm broke) and then camped for a day with 17 ships.

I can toss you some res if you need it, what are your cords?

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Garfu posted:

I can toss you some res if you need it, what are your cords?

2:16:12

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Applied for GTool as TargetPracticeSA.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Target Practice posted:

Applied for GTool as TargetPracticeSA.
Activated your account.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

We're up to 4th place in the alliance rankings now! Every member helps out!

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

At what point is it kosher to ask you guys to bomb someone into the stone age?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

What did you guys get banned for? I don't know what 'Bashing 1st' means.

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.
Oh man, this game. The last time Goons rushed this game it was full of glorious pubbie tears, I'll try and dig up some history on the official forums. We had one of the best wars in .org history, and made the Capella universe the best place to be. Unfortunately once you get to a high enough level this game starts to be a pretty huge time sink, which can be really really fun and rewarding, but it can also ruin your weeks/months/years of work from one silly miss-timed fleetsave.

I ended up playing on more than just Capella and have been on both sides of Top 10 hits. I'd love to join you guys, but I don't know if I would be able to justify sinking a bunch of time into this game again. If anyone has questions I could probably answer them for you though.

Anyone from the old Goon alliance in Capella playing?

PS. Bashing is when you attack someone more than 6 times in a day. Even players that are inactive.

EDIT: I made an account to check it out, only 2500 people playing :( I remember there being over 10k when Capella first started.

Crell fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Apr 29, 2014

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

Eastbound Spider posted:

At what point is it kosher to ask you guys to bomb someone into the stone age?

Throw the name/location out and we'll do something if we can. Keep in mind it sometimes it isn't possible for us to hit somebody as we'll take huge losses with no gain.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Crell posted:

EDIT: I made an account to check it out, only 2500 people playing :( I remember there being over 10k when Capella first started.
They open new universes a lot more often than they used to (presumably to make more money). Basically everyone on the forum bitches about it.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
So I have a colonizer ready, is it wiser to set up my new worlds in the same area as my homeworld, or should I spread out?

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Valatar posted:

So I have a colonizer ready, is it wiser to set up my new worlds in the same area as my homeworld, or should I spread out?
Most of us put at least our first two colonies in our home system so it's quicker to ship resources there and build up production. Keep in mind you want to use the highest planet size slot available (I wouldn't colonize outside of 6-9 slots, inclusive) so it depends what is open for you. See this page on the wiki for more info and a planet size chart.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Just want to warn new guys, don't assume you'll be safe if you have tons of rockets and light lasers. You need heavy lasers and gauss/ion too.

code:
Ships/Defence:	 22		 Ships/Defence:	 85
Lost units:	 0		 Lost units:	 182.500
Weapons:	 50%		 Weapons:	 40%
Shields:	 60%		 Shields:	 40%
Armour:	         60%		 Armour:	 60%
My 22 cruisers against his 68 rocket launchers, 2 LL, 1 HL, and 13 solar sats. I took no losses and put 30k debris into orbit which I scooped up.

Spyde
Mar 3, 2004

Yeah when the wolf (top 5 guy) landed in my system the other day we crunched the numbers and realized he could probably take out my 25/25/6 or so homeworld defenses with practically no losses. You really need gauss cannons (or at least some ions) to hurt the big fleets and combat research that most top 50 players have now. Needless to say I built some gauss as quick as I could.

Obviously if you're lower ranked this is less of a concern right now because people can only attack those with at least 20% of their points.

Magner
Oct 21, 2010
Signed up for the tool as Magner

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Magner posted:

Signed up for the tool as Magner

Okay, you're online now.

Just a reminder to all goons: Jump in the IRC and talk with us!

#ogame on synirc.

plehsistential
Jan 29, 2012

death to all avatar havers
Just applied to GOON alliance as pleh

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Start fleetsaving, guys!

I got hit by Blitzy at 5 am and lost 25 cruisers :(

Fucker somehow already has 25 battleships.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Are we boosting goons economies? I could use that.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Yeah I forgot to send you stuff... sending now.

Neo Mara
Apr 20, 2005

so I just got spied on for the first time. No fleet movement yet. so far my defense has been to just spend all my resources so I'm not worth hitting but I don't know how true that actually would be. I guess I need to start building rockets and poo poo. or can I make the shielded storage for my materials and be fine?

Crell
Nov 4, 2008

Hot Leggy Blonde, you
got it goin' on.

Neo Mara posted:

so I just got spied on for the first time. No fleet movement yet. so far my defense has been to just spend all my resources so I'm not worth hitting but I don't know how true that actually would be. I guess I need to start building rockets and poo poo. or can I make the shielded storage for my materials and be fine?

Depends on what you have. If you have no ships and just overnight res you probably don't need to do anything. If you're leaving a bunch of ships or res on your planet, you'll probably get attacked. You can also use a simulator to see what your defenses can take.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Neo Mara posted:

I wouldn't bother with the shielded dens, its kind of a waste of resources and space.

Spending all your res to make sure you aren't a good target is the #1 thing you can do to not get hit. The other thing is making sure your fleet isn't ever sitting around on your planet vulnerable to attack.

Defenses are important too, the wiki has good ratios to follow. The key idea is "would it be profitable for someone to attack me?". If the answer is no, you should be fine.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

Kept getting spied on by a guy, he finally attacked me. Ready to waste em guys? Zeus from Olympe [2:17:10]

Eastbound Spider
Jan 2, 2011

Interstellar Owl posted:

Kept getting spied on by a guy, he finally attacked me. Ready to waste em guys? Zeus from Olympe [2:17:10]

I hope you like crystals, couse you just got a bunch of them in the mail!

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

It's go time.

Gripen5
Nov 3, 2003

'Startocaster' is more fun to say than I expected.
Is there some trick to not being constantly out of crystal. It seems to be the resource most likely to hold me back. It seems like anything worth making uses it and often in larger quantities than metal, yet takes much longer to collect than metal.

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.

Gripen5 posted:

Is there some trick to not being constantly out of crystal. It seems to be the resource most likely to hold me back. It seems like anything worth making uses it and often in larger quantities than metal, yet takes much longer to collect than metal.

Yeah I'm having this issue as well, I'm at the point where I can build cruisers but that 4th level of Impulse Drive is a bastard at 32k Crystal.

Federal Preserves
Jun 30, 2011

Or is it right?
I sent in an application to join. I haven't played in a while, but looks like nothing has changed since 4+ years ago, so here I go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Battou from Stargate [1:202:6] and Tony Montana from Cosa Nostra [1:196:5] have been beating me senseless the last few days. Battou's hit me twice already today and has another two fleets on the way in the next half hour. I can't even send off any resources. Anyone capable of raining some death on Battou, at least?

• Locked thread