Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
We've had a strange guest at the bird feeders lately:

I still haven't figured out how it's getting up to our second flood balcony, but I applaud the determination. The birds don't seem to like this seed blend anyway so I'm glad someone's enjoying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.
We hang this stuff into the trees. The birds love it and squirrels and mice have a really hard time reaching it.

(picture's not mine)

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!

Chinston Wurchill posted:

We've had a strange guest at the bird feeders lately:

I still haven't figured out how it's getting up to our second flood balcony, but I applaud the determination. The birds don't seem to like this seed blend anyway so I'm glad someone's enjoying it.

Are you in an apartment or a house? If the first floor is yours I'd suggest black oil sunflower, thistle, and some suet cakes, but if you have downstairs neighbors they'll hate you for that.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

The Red Queen posted:

Are you in an apartment or a house? If the first floor is yours I'd suggest black oil sunflower, thistle, and some suet cakes, but if you have downstairs neighbors they'll hate you for that.

I always have suet out but aside from an occasional peck here or there the birds either aren't into it or I'm not presenting it right. Maybe it's just random variability - at times last winter I had up to 30 sparrows on the balcony at once, but they haven't seemed as interested (desperate?) this year. There's a bird store literally a block from where I live so maybe I'll check it out in the new year. Thanks for the tips!

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I've been catching glimpses of an accipiter darting around Arcata Marsh this month, but I didn't get a close look at it until today. It came gliding in low and fast over a pond and got the drop on a harrier that was eating a coot. The harrier fled, and this fellow got the meal. I'm pretty sure it's a Sharp-shinned Hawk, but Cooper's Hawks look very similar.

accipiter-coot by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A pair of Red-shouldered Hawks have started hanging around. This one was perched right above the trail and didn't mind having me underneath.

rsh-face2 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Great Blue Heron:

gbh-face3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Another bittern patrolling the reed beds:

bittern-patrol by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Arus
Aug 23, 2003

Moon Potato posted:

Another bittern patrolling the reed beds:

bittern-patrol by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

:allears: good burd. Makes me miss having my birds, had way too many as a kid.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

Wading birds are still loving the wet weather. We have four American Bitterns coming to feed in just one corner of Arcata Marsh.

bittern-stand by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

I missed focus on this shot, but I like it because it shows how well bitterns blend into their surroundings when you're not using a long lens to isolate them from the background.

bittern-hidden by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

A Great Blue Heron poking around for shrimp in the rocks by a tidal sluice:

jiblet-strike by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Another one that was stalking voles by the edge of the trail:

gbh-wind by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

My trip to the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area got rained out pretty quickly, but I was able to find a few owls before I left. Short-eared Owls came out to hunt:

seo-mrs by Redwood Planet, on Flickr
I caught a glimpse of a Long-eared Owl, but it hid in the grass before I could get a clear shot.

A male Northern Harrier carrying off a vole:

male-harrier-vole by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Moon Potato posted:

I missed focus on this shot, but I like it because it shows how well bitterns blend into their surroundings when you're not using a long lens to isolate them from the background.

bittern-hidden by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Moon Potato: His mistakes are still better than anything I'll ever take.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

this weird cat came back last night

dog chased him up there and he didnt move again for like 5 hours. i think he's too fat for the trap and he stole the bait :argh:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The Goatfather posted:

this weird cat came back last night

dog chased him up there and he didnt move again for like 5 hours. i think he's too fat for the trap and he stole the bait :argh:

Raccoons are smart fuckers. Many times, if you catch one in say, a Have-a-Heart, and release him, you'll never catch him with a Have-a-Heart again, because he knows what it is now, and how not to get caught.

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

I finally got a bit of decent light to work with for shooting raptors at the Mad River Slough Wildlife Area.

Short-eared Owls:

owl-wide by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

owl-dip by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

Northern Harriers:

grey-ghost by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

harrier-grass by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

White-tailed Kites:

kite-diving-mad-river by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

kite-flyover3 by Redwood Planet, on Flickr

They didn't come in close enough for a decent photo, but there was also a Peregrine Falcon, a Red-tailed Hawk, a Red-shouldered Hawk and an American Kestrel in the area. That spot is raptor heaven during the winter.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Your pictures are amazing as always

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Strangely warm winter in northern kentucky = exactly 1 more invertebrate critterquest than I'd have expected

naem
May 29, 2011

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Are you in Florida? Those are invasive there right? They're so pretty, poor things, they don't know they're pests :(

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Found a pretty big spider in the stairs while in Portugal for the xmas holidays:

Got it ID'ed as a Zoropsis spinimana. Thought it was some kind of wolf spider at first.

axolotl farmer posted:

Hey, did you pass the exam? Was JS teaching the class?

Late answer, but hey, small world! Yes she was, she was great! I passed, the first one (nyckling) barely, the second one (memorizing vertebrate species and invertebrate classes/orders/families) with flying colors.

Too bad we couldn't have the nyckling exam after the Tovetorp expedition, which gave us a lot of practice.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 9, 2016

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

Falukorv posted:

Got it ID'ed as a Zoropsis spinimana. Thought it was some kind of wolf spider at first.

Confession: Way too many of the spider IDs I give when people ask me are just "wolf spider" because people know at least those aren't dangerous and it's impossible to tell what it really is (beyond harmless) when they show me a blurry cell phone pic of what could just as easily be a fishing spider or grass spider. From what I can tell it's become a colloquial term for all harmless spiders anyway.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Falukorv posted:

Found a pretty big spider in the stairs while in Portugal for the xmas holidays:

D'awwww :3:

Z.spinimana is one of the few European spiders you really need to be careful with though, it has an extremely painful bite that will knock out your arm for a few days and gets much more agressive than other spiders when scared. Not that you shouldn't keep it as a pet and cuddle it anyway :v:

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

blowfish posted:

D'awwww :3:

Z.spinimana is one of the few European spiders you really need to be careful with though, it has an extremely painful bite that will knock out your arm for a few days and gets much more agressive than other spiders when scared. Not that you shouldn't keep it as a pet and cuddle it anyway :v:

poo poo, did not know that!

I used my hand to scoop him/her into the glass.
Assumed it was a harmless wolf spider, based on the shape and swiftness.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Visited my in-laws in England over the holidays and the December bird life was somewhat different from what I'm used to.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Those are not birds. They are pure malevolence given shape and covered in feathers.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

Enfys posted:

Those are not birds. They are pure malevolence given shape and covered in feathers.
drat right swans are assholes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxd53ykmTvc

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.
They're also goddamned invasives in the US, and my museum refuses to accept specimen donations because a) there's so many of them and b) they're gigantic.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Enfys posted:

And protected by royal decree so if they start attacking you you're not allowed to fight back or else you'll get sent to the Tower of London. It's hosed up.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Tardigrade posted:

They're also goddamned invasives in the US, and my museum refuses to accept specimen donations because a) there's so many of them and b) they're gigantic.

Canadian geese are similarly horrible, a flock(or multiple flocks) of nearly 200 of the loving things took up residence over a school vacation and covered the football field with SO MUCH goose poo poo they literally had to cancel games and practice on it for a couple days while the janitors and maintenance cleaned it all off. It wound up killing the grass on a huge portion of it from so much...acidity? Or whatever poop puts into the soil?

And the geese themselves would routinely attack students out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abyssal Squid
Jul 24, 2003

No pictures because the whole thing took place at chickadee speed, but one of the Carolina chickadees here responded to the first snow of the season by tackling another to the ground and pinning it by biting its wing. :catstare:

• Locked thread