Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Mak0rz posted:

axolotl farmer forgot to mention that only generic epithets get capitalized. Specific (or lower) epithets are all lower case. Additionally, subgenera are written in parentheses.

News media does this all the time, even in the science section of newspapers and it makes my spergbergers flare up something fierce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL
Subgenera are capitalized, as well. The genera I deal with are sometimes very speciose, so when I'm talking or writing about them I will usually just say the subgenera and the specific name. Pterostichus, one close to my heart, has 87 different subgenera.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

axolotl farmer posted:

News media does this all the time, even in the science section of newspapers and it makes my spergbergers flare up something fierce.

See also: bath product ingredients.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

axolotl farmer posted:

I bought a deck of sea life-themed playing cards from one of those lovely beachside tourist trap stores this weekend that had the species names capitalized and I found myself rustled pretty hard.

edit: bad photo

Hazo fucked around with this message at 23:15 on May 13, 2014

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Hazo posted:

I bought a deck of sea life-themed playing cards from one of those lovely beachside tourist trap stores this weekend that had the species names capitalized and I found myself rustled pretty hard.

They also italicized "Cubozoa" :negative:

Moon Potato
May 12, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

You can see the demon in this one already. You know what you must do.
The ones in Oakland are actually pretty chill. The breeding population there is non-migratory, and they've figured out that people give them food if they don't act like dicks (which is terrible for their health, but I don't think they care). I lived by Lake Merritt for a few years and got hissed at maybe twice during the course of several hundred walks/runs around the lake path.

The parents only looked mildly concerned when their creche came very close to me.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Hazo posted:

That's clearly a Melanocetus johnsonii and not a Lophius piscatorius. You should get your money back.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

I still don't know why they used a picture of a juvenile rainbow trout instead of the adult everybody recognizes.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
Public domain images or something?

Scan the whole deck, man.

haha

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

enziarro posted:

Public domain images or something?

Scan the whole deck, man.

ITT goons spellcheck and properly label Hazo's deck of 52 animal cards.

You're welcome. :tipshat:

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Not much wrong with them though. The clownfish even has the species name in lowercase!

As a sidenote, all my photos seem to have that weird lack of focus around the edges. Is there some kind of mechanical or sensor issue at work? It's a five-year-old point & shoot after all. I've severely tempted to actually take them to the office and scan them.

edit :lol: the marlin photo is from the wiki article

Hazo fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 14, 2014

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Anybody on the Atlantic Coast tonight? Should be Horseshoe Crab spawning the first full moon of May and June. Tens of thousands of hat-sized devonian sea-bugs getting they thang on all over beaches from Maine down through Florida.

A thing to see.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Slo-Tek posted:

Anybody on the Atlantic Coast tonight? Should be Horseshoe Crab spawning the first full moon of May and June. Tens of thousands of hat-sized devonian sea-bugs getting they thang on all over beaches from Maine down through Florida.

A thing to see.

Awesome. I'm just south of Boston so I'll definitely take a trip to the beach tonight.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Slo-Tek posted:

Tens of thousands of hat-sized devonian sea-bugs getting they thang on all over beaches from Maine down through Florida.

The exact phrase I was looking for to fill out the "long walks on a beach with..." section of my online dating profile.

Will they be on the Chesapeake, or only the ocean proper? I'm wondering if there's anywhere within about an hour drive from DC where I could see this. Can't really swing the three hours to Ocean City.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

kedo posted:

The exact phrase I was looking for to fill out the "long walks on a beach with..." section of my online dating profile.

Will they be on the Chesapeake, or only the ocean proper? I'm wondering if there's anywhere within about an hour drive from DC where I could see this. Can't really swing the three hours to Ocean City.

http://www.chesapeakebay.net/fieldguide/critter/horseshoe_crab

says probably. You'll want a sandy beach, and like all natural processes, it might be awesome, or it might be not much.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hazo posted:

As a sidenote, all my photos seem to have that weird lack of focus around the edges. Is there some kind of mechanical or sensor issue at work? It's a five-year-old point & shoot after all. I've severely tempted to actually take them to the office and scan them.

edit :lol: the marlin photo is from the wiki article

:laffo:

Also your camera has an optical issue, probably that its lens is incredibly cheap junk. Unless you somehow broke it in the exact way to imitate spherical abberation, it likely has no optical correction at all, and the focal plane of a spherical lens is not actually a plane (that's why having an eye ball rather than an eye box is sensible).

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

we also expect sens. str. and sens. lat. to be used correctly, or you have to post your dick with your username written on it

Pah, s. str. and s. lat. are quite sufficient, it's not like anyone could possibly be confused about what they mean :engleft:

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

:butt:

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Here is my cat (Felis catus) sniffing one of his catmint (Nepeta curviflora) plants this morning

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

blowfish posted:

Also your camera has an optical issue, probably that its lens is incredibly cheap junk. Unless you somehow broke it in the exact way to imitate spherical abberation, it likely has no optical correction at all, and the focal plane of a spherical lens is not actually a plane (that's why having an eye ball rather than an eye box is sensible).
It didn't used to be like this. It's a medium-high-end Canon. It's just five years old so maybe it's deteriorated.

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)
A few things from the past couple months! I only have a little Nikon point-and-shoot so no amazing macros, but still passable quality I think. Took these in southeast Massachusetts and Rhode Island between late March to late April/early May

Ladybug!

Mute swan!

Honey bee of some sort!

Unfortunately couldn't get a clear shot of this guy. All I know is that it's some kind of heron or cormorant-type dude.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Hazo posted:

It didn't used to be like this. It's a medium-high-end Canon. It's just five years old so maybe it's deteriorated.

Hmmm... in that case some lens element must have shifted in a really weird way.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

One week in and we have visitors at the feeder!

A thief.

And a cardinal.

Off topic: New flickr is annoying.

I'm still bad at lightroom. I need to "borrow" my roommate's 70-200L to see how much better it is than my cheapo 28-135 and 55-250 (probably a lot).

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
I have posted some of these in the chicken thread before, but I thought other people might like to see them too!

Here is a sleepy bearded dragon:

From my chicken paddock, SE/Central Queensland.

Here is the same bearded dragon after I got too close to him :v:

Here is a flock of happy jacks (apostlebirds), eating some grain I put out for them. In the middle is the current baby happy jack, squeaking and hoping for some food:

Here is the baby happy jack having food put into its mouth.

Fun fact: happy jacks, like willy wagtails, are in the "core corvid" group and are thus full of brains. I can confirm that happy jacks are very smart. They also love humans and are great fun to watch.

Here is a baby magpie, sitting on a chicken roost that I cleaned up right after this photo:

Here is the baby magpie's twin, sitting at the chook pen door:

Here is Mum or Dad magpie:

The two twin baby magpies were being taught by Mum and Dad magpie, as well as a mostly grown-up helper sibling, to catch witchetty grubs on the lawn. It involves staring at/listening to the ground then digging up the witchetty grub with their beaks. Mum and Dad magpie demonstrated it to the babies and, instead of giving the witchetty grubs to them, made them look for their own. However, with the Easter holidays, and longer chook pen opening hours, they decided it was easier to eat the ready supply of layer pellets. The babies are getting good at finding their own witchetty grubs now that I have shooed them away from the chook pen.

Finally, for any American viewers: a dread huntsman spider! (And my poorly nail-polished hand)

This is from my aunt's place around the Maleny/Montville region in the Hinterlands, but we get them everywhere in Queensland. This one isn't actually very big for a huntsman, just close enough to include my hand for reference.

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 15, 2014

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Slo-Tek posted:

A thing to see.
The closest I got while driving to meetings tonight was to downtown Myrtle, but it's bike week so there's nowhere to park, and any self-respecting horseshoe crab probably stayed far far away. A friend of mine works at Huntington Beach State Park, where I bet they're swarming, BUT she's on her honeymoon. I hope someone gets some good photos. :smith:

blowfish posted:

Hmmm... in that case some lens element must have shifted in a really weird way.
What a shame. Three years on the water probably didn't help matters much.

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I have posted some of these in the chicken thread before, but I thought other people might like to see them too!

Here is a sleepy bearded dragon:

From my chicken paddock, SE/Central Queensland.

Here is the same bearded dragon after I got too close to him :v:
This is fantastic. :catstare:

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I love how bearded dragon spines seem so soft when they're chill and then they turn into land-blowfish when they're pissed.

Zakka
Apr 27, 2010
So I've been at my friends cabin and found some cool critters to take pictures of!

Like this Ribbed Pine Borer:

Rhagium inquisitor 4
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Rhagium inquisitor
by Alexahes, on Flickr

and what I guess is a larva of the same species:

Longhorn Larvae
by Alexahes, on Flickr

I also found a lot lily beetles, Lilioceris merdigera, that laid their eggs on some chives:

Lilioceris merdigera
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Egg
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Actually, really few of the eggs hatched. Does anybody know if that's something to do with the substrate the egg were laid on or something else? Or is it normal with beetle eggs? Lay a lot of them and hope enough hatches and matures, kinda thing?

They had some really cute larvae, though!

Larver
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Larva1
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Until they got a day or two older and started to cover them selves up in slime and excrements:

Bladbillelarve
by Alexahes, on Flickr

LarvaUgh
by Alexahes, on Flickr

How about a click beetle to look at something nicer?

Click
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Or a hoverfly?

Syrphidae
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Also, am I right in thinking that this is a Cantharis rustica?

Cantharis rustica
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Cantharis rustica 3
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Cantharis rustica 2
by Alexahes, on Flickr

E: Bad gramma

Zakka fucked around with this message at 16:37 on May 15, 2014

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Spotted a totally awesome looking spider in my garden yesterday, he had his forearms up like "come at me bro"

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

I haven't been doing nearly as much collecting as I normally would this year, but got out headlamping last night, finding a few carabids, and what I think is Harpaphe haydeniana, which is so common in Pacific Northwest fog belt forests you trip over them.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Critters appear on the windows of my building here in Los Angeles and I try to get decent pictures through the glass with my phone. I haven't seen one of these before and was wondering if anyone could identify it even though it's mostly a silhouette.

Suicide Sam E.
Jun 30, 2013

by XyloJW

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

I haven't been doing nearly as much collecting as I normally would this year, but got out headlamping last night, finding a few carabids, and what I think is Harpaphe haydeniana, which is so common in Pacific Northwest fog belt forests you trip over them.

That 'running light' pattern is so nifty.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Zakka posted:

Also, am I right in thinking that this is a Cantharis rustica?

Cantharis rustica
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Cantharis rustica 3
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Cantharis rustica 2
by Alexahes, on Flickr

Ayup.

Dark tibiae, femora lighter proximally (near the body) and a red pronotum with black mark.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

Critters appear on the windows of my building here in Los Angeles and I try to get decent pictures through the glass with my phone. I haven't seen one of these before and was wondering if anyone could identify it even though it's mostly a silhouette.

Hmm, maybe a Cantharidae, or solider beetle? I'm seeing a lot of them fly around this time of year, them and Coccinellidae (ladybugs) are probably the only two kinds of beetles I don't pick up, coming from a lack of my own interest in them and not knowing anyone who's into them. Most things I find I just put in my pocket vial and set aside for other beetle people I know as gift packages, usually accruing them in little piles and sending them out every year or two in big bunches.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

With those fat thighs it looks more like a longhorn beetle.

A count of feet segments could clear that up since soldier beetles have 5-5-5 and longhorn beetles appear to have 4-4-4 (even if it's technically 5-5-5).

Is there a more hi-res pic available?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The image link zooms in a fair bit if you click on it.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
The Salt Lake City peregrines Suicide Sam E. posted a while back; their eggs are hatching! :derp: :woop:
http://wildlife.utah.gov/learn-more/peregrine-cam.html
Mom's currently sitting on them, but when they readjust themselves or the parents switch out, you might catch a glimpse of the chipped eggshell or hear them chirping.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

axolotl farmer might be right, I'm not too familiar with femural structure of cerambycids. The internet says about cantharids: "Mesotarsus with 5 distinct tarsomeres (pentamerous). Tarsomeres on hind leg at least as many as on mid leg.".

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The ability of people to identify bugs amazes me. There's so many and they sport such fine distinctions among them.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

kinmik posted:

The Salt Lake City peregrines Suicide Sam E. posted a while back; their eggs are hatching! :derp: :woop:
http://wildlife.utah.gov/learn-more/peregrine-cam.html
Mom's currently sitting on them, but when they readjust themselves or the parents switch out, you might catch a glimpse of the chipped eggshell or hear them chirping.

This is pretty drat cool. I've always thought peregrine falcons were spiffy, but now they're way more awesome in my estimation. Nest? What nest? These goddamn chicks will grow up on rocks and they will loving like it. :colbert:

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

Dick Trauma posted:

The ability of people to identify bugs amazes me. There's so many and they sport such fine distinctions among them.

Generally I've found that outside of actual blow you away amazing ID'ers, most entomologists or any other biologist can give a good idea of the general order of a given organism, a good idea about common organisms to family or genus (depending on access to the internet, I don't remember off the top of my head what a german cockroach or a green darner dragonfly are really called, for instance), and can ID to species their group of interest. Some groups, like some girls, are bigger than others, which makes things harder.

The subfamily of ground beetles I'm really interested in right now has 1,939 described species at last count, but I only know of one other person in this hemisphere who is actively working on them, doing revisions and reviews. Worldwide, I only know of six total people who publish a lot about them.

So, its a combination of experience, learning, and some intuition to get you started on the right track. I myself frequently just google "spiders of washington" if I'm looking for a name for something someone brought me, which they always think is a hobo spider.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Dick Trauma posted:

Count the little hairs around its butthole. If it has 436 of them it's the longhorn, and if there's 435 it's the soldier.

• Locked thread