Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Everyone seems to be playing nicely again, so I'm reviving the Ask a Copgoon thread. Standard forums rules apply.

Cmdr Shepard posted:

If you're interested in lounge chat, bullshitting, general chillness, check out our monthly lounge thread in the GiP forum!

Any and all questions and discussion related to police activities should be here.

This is not GBS / D&D
If you want to engage in "anti-authority childish reactionary bullshit" (thanks, Moker), or are interested in starting the revolution to tear the police state down, go elsewhere. This is not to say reasonable back and forth discussion isn't welcome in this thread, just that it is not meant to be an alternative D&D CoTB megathread part 23.

OpSec
"Monday morning quarterbacking" is generally frowned upon in the police community. If you want to discuss police actions taken, we may be able to shed some light on facts that people may not be aware of. We won't discuss police tactics and strategies outside the scope of what is commonly known or observable in a video.

Why police encounters are difficult to judge for those that weren't there. Watch these videos in order: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7At5RyV_yo (Part 1) | http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPEiRQoALcs (Part 2) - (Thanks, Whip Slagcheek)

Purpose
I'd like this thread to keep relevant discussion about current issues out of the other GiP Police thread. Police response to protests, 4th amendment issues, police militarization, training, use of force, probable cause, etc., are all welcome topics in this thread. Sarcasm, witty responses, one liners, personal insults, and blanket statements, should be kept to a strict minimum. Larger topics that provoke lengthy and continued debate should probably be moved to D&D, but we'll play it by ear and see how the thread plays out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
Is there some reason you guys don't post this thread in A/T instead?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Do mass probation's count as police brutality?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

^^
Only if I do it. If meowlins does it it's just regular brutality.

Because we've had it here rather successfully for several years and the A/T's consistently turned to hell. Also I'm pretty sure the A/T mods don't want to deal with it.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Barent posted:

Is there some reason you guys don't post this thread in A/T instead?

If I had to venture a guess, it's easier to pepper spray keep the ACAB/FTP group in check here if they decide they want to poo poo up a thread with stupid posts.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

USMC503 posted:

If I had to venture a guess, it's easier to pepper spray keep the ACAB/FTP group in check here if they decide they want to poo poo up a thread with stupid posts.

*points to yesterday's FYAD genocide*

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

Whip Slagcheek posted:

*points to yesterday's FYAD genocide*

They did it to themselves. (And it was hilarious)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

USMC503 posted:

Plz don't victim blame in the cop thread

Barent
Jun 15, 2007

Never die in vain.
I don't really buy that reason but okay.

Question: Have any of you personally seen or been a part of covering for another officer's mistakes? It seems like a lot of the FTP stuff comes not from the fact that bad cops exist (unavoidable) but instead from the fact that they often get their mistakes covered up by superiors/fellow cops out of a sense of comradery or something similar.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

I've only had to hide one body and the officer swore that it was a mistake so I believed him.

--
Real answer: no, I've never participated in any "cover up" but I've also never witnessed anything that would need covering up. Most of the people I work with are professional and I've only once had to write a report on an officer's conduct with a member of the public and I sided with the person making the complaint. It wasn't a serious incident, but he was still out of line.

Whip Slagcheek fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Apr 18, 2014

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Ever arrested someone for being too anime?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Does it really take two cop cars and four police officers to issue a fix it ticket? I was late to work that day, by the way.

EvilTobaccoExec
Dec 22, 2003

Criminals are a superstitious, cowardly lot, so my disguise must be able to strike terror into their hearts!
When cops worry about dying and how their families will be taken care of, or when they want to protect their kids, do they recognize that the people they kill are capable of the same thoughts?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
What are your views on people joining admittedly bad police forces with their intention of documenting and recording every misuse of power, problematic conversation, potential cover-up, union email saying to keep low, and internal views of high profile incidents; and working closely with a journalist while an officer to publicly list everything? (With the caveat that only 'real' incidents which really need to be released get released, and if everything's hunky-dory then everyone's happy.)

If you want an example, you can imagine if NYPD's anti-Muslim-surveillance had an internal mole letting a reporter know everything. Or I can substitute an LA/NOPD internal affairs officer. Or an officer who has "concrete evidence" his colleagues are racially motivated in the punishments they hand out and are protected by their department.

I'm curious if officers who work with outside agencies against their department are only looked down upon/fired, or would those officers be tracked and arrested?

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 18, 2014

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

a lot of cops/gip posts in the drunk thread.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I guess it's therapy for them?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
What a great honeypot thread.

So what kind of firearm training do they actually give? Do they have those ranges like in the movies were its a big rear end projection screen and you have to make the right choice to shoot or not ect? Are there annual qualifications? Are you required to shoot x amount of rounds a month to stay current?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
Have any copgoons testified against your colleagues/department in defense of a suspect? If not, how well would you imagine you would be received in your department if you have?

Im specifically wondering about being morally compelled to turn against other officers in a legal situation; against your department's wishes.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

tentative8e8op posted:

If you want an example, you can imagine if NYPD's anti-Muslim-surveillance had an internal mole letting a reporter know everything.

Those reporters didn't find out about all the details of that program through FOIA requests. This is what actually happened.

Under Kelly, the NYPD ran an internal security program on par with Beria's NKVD, but people still managed to get the word out.

The officers who testified for the plantiffs in the federal class action suit come to mind, but you can bet Kelly had them on his list.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Smiling Jack posted:

Those reporters didn't find out about all the details of that program through FOIA requests. This is what actually happened.

Under Kelly, the NYPD ran an internal security program on par with Beria's NKVD, but people still managed to get the word out.

The officers who testified for the plantiffs in the federal class action suit come to mind, but you can bet Kelly had them on his list.

I know :) I am specifically wondering how copgoons feel about people who willingly spill everything to reporters against department, union, and colleagues wishes.

e: Id much rather ask how our officers here view such leakers, rather than reading lifeless new article #17 which only has HR and head honchos speaking carefully selected words for a department's views.

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 18, 2014

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

tentative8e8op posted:

I know :) I am specifically wondering how copgoons feel about people who willingly spill everything to reporters against department, union, and colleagues wishes.

e: Id much rather ask how our officers here view such leakers, rather than reading lifeless new article #17 which only has HR and head honchos speaking for a department's views.

I'm not a cop, but I'd assume some agree with it and others understand it. I doubt many copgoons will admit looking down on people who talk to reporters, save for those cops that ruin investigations and whatnot by doing so.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

If you blow my investigation for two free drinks at a bar and a chance to feel important, gently caress you.

On the other hand, if you call Pulitzer Prize winning reporter Mike McAlary because you're pretty sure the hospitalized prisoner with brutal internal injuries was assaulted by cops, you're ok in my book.

Edit: Louima was interviewed and photographed by McAlary and an official photographer while still in police custody at the hospital. McAlary said he snuck past the guard at the door. :rolleyes: That cop subsequently took a department discipline for "failing to safeguard a prisoner".

It's widely assumed that the cop guarding him not only tipped off the press after Internal Affairs shitcanned the tip from a nurse but allowed McAlary to conduct a lengthy interview.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Apr 19, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Edit: answered

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Apr 18, 2014

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

tentative8e8op posted:

Have any copgoons testified against your colleagues/department in defense of a suspect? If not, how well would you imagine you would be received in your department if you have?

Im specifically wondering about being morally compelled to turn against other officers in a legal situation; against your department's wishes.

I've never been subpoenad to do so, but if I was I'd tell the truth. You don't just qalk in to the middle of a trial and say "um, guys, I have something to say"...

It may or may not go over well, but it doesn't matter the reaction, you tell the truth because it's the right thing to do. I'm not going to lie to protect anyone.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Asked this in the other thread but it went unanswered:

Have you ever been witness to one of your fellow officers violating someone's rights? How did you respond?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
Was the officer who arrested Rosa Parks a bad person?

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Miltank posted:

Haha, also what color was his favorite color?

Probably not.

And it was two officers, but there's only a quote from one.

Grem fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 18, 2014

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

Miltank posted:

Did he do anything other than arrest her? It's hard to look at a 1955 arrest with 2014 morals. Obviously what he did was wrong, when looked at through the lens of history, but it would be impossible to say if he was a bad person.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

I'd say that bus driver was a pretty huge piece of poo poo.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

mds2 posted:

Asked this in the other thread but it went unanswered:

Have you ever been witness to one of your fellow officers violating someone's rights? How did you respond?

I don't know if this is exactly a civil rights violation, but it is something that happens in small towns that annoys that gently caress out of me. We get all sorts of nosy people that wilil call in suspicious(brown) people or cars doing suspicious things and so I feel like if I go out there and talk to the person just cause they are walking while brown in the rural midwest i'm violating their rights, but if I don't the person who calls is always, always watching and then they complain about us and write letters to the local newspaper. They never understand when you try to explain it to them why a person walking isn't suspicious. White people are the worst.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
How long have you been an officer, and are you going to be in the same position forever?

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Neo Duckberg posted:

How long have you been an officer, and are you going to be in the same position forever?

7 years for me, but not all of those at the same department.

Advancement is really highly dependent on the size of the department. At most small departments, which make up the majority of police departments in the country, turnover for supervisor or administrative positions can be painfully slow and generally only happens when someone retires.

There are lots of opportunities for what are called lateral jobs. These include extra duties like K9 officer, detective, evidence/crime scene tech, school resource officer, training officer, range officer, etc. At smaller departments, every patrol officer doubles as one of these roles. Whereas at larger departments, your permanent position might be one of those. There are also opportunities to get involved in multi-jurisdictional teams for investigations, SWAT team, etc.

I have no real plans for where I want to go with the job. Maybe one day when my life settles down, but right now I'm just trying to get by and pay the bills.

USMC503 posted:

Is it police brutality if they keep walking into my baton?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
How easy is it to steal blow from the evidence room? You just have access to all the free blow you could possibly want, right?

Ethan_Alan
Apr 8, 2008

I am threatened by non-violence
This is for people who've used their service pistol/were in the line of fire, have you ever participated in or witnessed the shooting of someone? If so, what was the situation? I don't mean emotionally, I mean what was the circumstances that led to the shooting? And did it follow standard procedure of escalation (or is that even a thing)?

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Does having military plates help in not getting a ticket?

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

Branis posted:

I don't know if this is exactly a civil rights violation, but it is something that happens in small towns that annoys that gently caress out of me. We get all sorts of nosy people that wilil call in suspicious(brown) people or cars doing suspicious things and so I feel like if I go out there and talk to the person just cause they are walking while brown in the rural midwest i'm violating their rights, but if I don't the person who calls is always, always watching and then they complain about us and write letters to the local newspaper. They never understand when you try to explain it to them why a person walking isn't suspicious. White people are the worst.

Ok, but what about the part of being a witness to a fellow officer violating someones rights. And your reaction to it.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Helldump Immunity. posted:

Does having military plates help in not getting a ticket?

yep

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Provided you're not within 20 miles of a military base probably.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Everyone asking about shootings, an amazingly low percentage of cops ever use their firearms. I forget the exact number but it's less than 10%. The odds of anyone here having ever been in a shooting is very low.

Now getting shot at, or being around a perp who is shooting, that's another story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

PostNouveau posted:

How easy is it to steal blow from the evidence room? You just have access to all the free blow you could possibly want, right?

I'm basically the main coke distributor for the US, all from confiscated coke. The next time you blow a sweet line, you're welcome.

• Locked thread