Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

ded posted:

What kind of PC do you need to stop someone and demand ID from them?

Reasonable Suspicion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Grem posted:

Reasonable Suspicion.

That is a bit vague.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

ded posted:

That is a bit vague.

Right? Good luck citizen!

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG

tentative8e8op posted:

So, barring insanely violent crimes like murders/rapes, you will never feel morally compelled to go out of your way to contact defendants/defense attorneys when you have 'concrete evidence' of wrongdoing by other officers in your force?

Im super interested in how proactive you all have been when you see wrongs committed by other officers in the force, rather than situations where you were going to be subpoenaed anyway.

i'm genuinely curious to know what percentage of every police agency in the country you would guess is bad or corrupt? I feel like your assuming that every agency has people who do bad things and it just gets ignored. Not every department is the NYPD or LAPD. The one time i've seen excessive force used was while I worked in a jail and that officer got fired for it

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Why does it always seem like cops only ticket people near the end of the month? I'm not joking, I see more people pulled over the last week of a month than any other time, and I live in a medium sized town. It makes it look like you guys are trying to meet a quota or something.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Why does it always seem like cops only ticket people near the end of the month? I'm not joking, I see more people pulled over the last week of a month than any other time, and I live in a medium sized town. It makes it look like you guys are trying to meet a quota or something.

Department might be tracking stats for productivity. While not a quota for the purpose of creating revenue, it's one of the few ways you can track and compare officers when it comes to promotions and preferred assignments.

tentative8e8op posted:

So, barring insanely violent crimes like murders/rapes, you will never feel morally compelled to go out of your way to contact defendants/defense attorneys when you have 'concrete evidence' of wrongdoing by other officers in your force?

Im super interested in how proactive you all have been when you see wrongs committed by other officers in the force, rather than situations where you were going to be subpoenaed anyway.

There's ways of dealing with bad cases that don't involve seeking out someone's defense attorney to get the case resolved properly. In instances where I've seen bad procedure (usually with DUI's) I've approached the prosecutor's office before and been like "hey, case x is going to be an issue because of xyz." and they'll typically get them thrown out before the case goes to court.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Can you describe what a preferred assignment is and how much extra firepower you are allowed to bring to one?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Decrepus posted:

Can you describe what a preferred assignment is and how much extra firepower you are allowed to bring to one?

SWAT, K-9, Aviation, Horse-mounted, Detective, etc.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
i'm sure before long drone pilot will be offered to po dunk police departments, so i'm holding out for that one.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

I know that the show "Cops" is heavily edited and all, but have there ever been cases where you saw some event or arrest on that show where you've thought "Jesus Christ, it's a miracle that no one died/resulted in an internal affairs complaint/lawsuit/whatever?" I seem to recall from previous threads that you guys didn't regard many of the officers on that show very well at all,

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

The older episodes of Cops used to horrify me at least once or twice an episode. Bad procedure, bad tactics, bad whatever. The newer ones have gotten "better" but that could be because the departments are getting more heavily involved in the editing process.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
cops seems to be pretty alright like whip said, the older episodes are crazier. It always seems like to me that they take loving forever on one call though. Verbal arguement over a TV starts at noon, end shot is dark as they load someone in the car and drive away. I'd be pissed if my coworker had a cops cameraman riding and was hamming it up on calls to make them last longer.

deratomicdog
Nov 2, 2005

Fight to Fly. Fly to Fight. Fight to Win.
On the pilot episode of cops it shows one guy who says he just stops every white person who drives into one neighborhood because they are all there to buy drugs.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
at least he is harassing white people.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

deratomicdog posted:

On the pilot episode of cops it shows one guy who says he just stops every white person who drives into one neighborhood because they are all there to buy drugs.

um

yeah

about that

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

Branis posted:

i'm genuinely curious to know what percentage of every police agency in the country you would guess is bad or corrupt? I feel like your assuming that every agency has people who do bad things and it just gets ignored. Not every department is the NYPD or LAPD. The one time i've seen excessive force used was while I worked in a jail and that officer got fired for it

I'm sure only a certain small amount of agencies are bad or corrupt, but its not like a hard drawn invisible line has to be crossed for such a description to suddenly apply. Excessive force being used often is different from professional courtesy, which is different from defending officers who deliberately and maliciously target minorities, which is different from perjury to protect legitimately good officers, and so on...

I just hear too often about departments or unions covering and defending behavior which should be totes unacceptable in any situation, and we hear their colleagues throw up their hands 'oh well what can i do without getting fired'. :(

Ethan_Alan posted:

It's rare, but you know at least one person who's done it. I'm sure other people here know someone who's done it as well. Although it is suprising (and a relief) to know that they keep drugs separate from other evidence. I'm assuming the same is for guns as well, yes?
Very different from drugs or guns, I worked a super small amount of time doing investigative computer forensics and I only know of one instance where evidence was 'disappeared' from our lab. The drive was gone, it's chain of custody papers were nonexistent, our evidence acceptance log had no entry, our tracking database had it's ticket removed, all our correspondence was removed from our email server and my supervisor told us that it was no big deal and that we shouldn't have gotten it in the first place.
:iiam:

treasured8elief fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 19, 2014

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Does anyone have experience with police auctions? I thought they only did that with cars but I saw something on the news a while back talking about online auction sites selling unclaimed stuff like jewelry and the proceeds went to the force.

Branis
Apr 14, 2006

by VG
you can buy all sorts of poo poo from the goverment on gov auction sites http://www.govdeals.com/ Not just from the police either.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

What are some of the best ways to find out your personal suitability as a police officer? If you'd enjoy the job, be good at it, etc. Thanks.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

blue squares posted:

What are some of the best ways to find out your personal suitability as a police officer? If you'd enjoy the job, be good at it, etc. Thanks.

Ridealongs are great if your legitimately interested. If you get a younger motivated officer willing to answer questions the better your time will likely be. Do a few with different types of departments to see different styles and types of policing, ask lots of questions, see the calls, watch how things work during the shift, etc. You'll get a pretty good impression of what it's like generally and if you'd like it from that.

I highly recommend ridealongs to any interested citizens of a jurisdiction, if they offer them. It's a great way to see the job of a local cop and learn about the community too. I've had several ridealongs that had no interest in being an LEO but just wanted to see what the job and jurisdiction looked like from this side of things.

TIM BUCKLEY
Dec 18, 2007
MONKEY CHEESE
How does it make you feel when you see police shows from other countries where they don't pull a gun on people or beat them for resisting arrest but instead help people and the public and keep them safe from harm?

Is it a "I wish America was like that" thing or a "those people are all on diazepam or other chill pills" thing?

Edit: I watched some European version of "cops" when I was touring around there hence the question.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
^^^^^^

TIM BUCKLEY posted:

i personally would shoot a cop right in the face and laugh as he died

blue squares posted:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
EMS goon here, sincerely not trying to be a dick, but this is something I run into fairly frequently.

When I get called to something like a public intoxication, some of the officers in my area will inevitably say "You can go with them to the hospital, or you can come with me to jail." Are you aware that many EMS workers hate when police officers do this?

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Doppelganger posted:

EMS goon here, sincerely not trying to be a dick, but this is something I run into fairly frequently.

When I get called to something like a public intoxication, some of the officers in my area will inevitably say "You can go with them to the hospital, or you can come with me to jail." Are you aware that many EMS workers hate when police officers do this?

Can you explain why? I know I've done this a couple of times, though usually I throw them in a taxi.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Whip Slagcheek posted:

Can you explain why? I know I've done this a couple of times, though usually I throw them in a taxi.
For the example I gave, simply being drunk is not a reason for someone to go to the Emergency Department. It pressures the person into taking an ambulance ride they don't want and probably can't afford, and it makes things more difficult for us. I've had patients refuse to cooperate with me and try to escape from my stretcher after police have done this. Also, the ED staff really doesn't like having to use a bed on someone who doesn't need any real medical attention. It's generally interpreted as an attempt to avoid having to arrest someone and do the paperwork involved.

I'll now add the disclaimer that I maintain a very good working relationship with my local sheriff deputies, and that I genuinely appreciate the services they perform on our scenes. This is just one thing that I don't care for.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

This makes sense!

Bigos
Dec 30, 2006
A Succulent Polish Treat

TIM BUCKLEY posted:

How does it make you feel when you see police shows from other countries where they don't pull a gun on people or beat them for resisting arrest but instead help people and the public and keep them safe from harm?

Is it a "I wish America was like that" thing or a "those people are all on diazepam or other chill pills" thing?

Edit: I watched some European version of "cops" when I was touring around there hence the question.

I've seen plenty of clips of American cops helping other people and European cops being violent or outright abusive.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Our EMTs are usually cool with it as long as the drunk isn't a complete rear end in a top hat or something. Most of our guys are volunteers so they count it as an easy taxi run to the hospital that counts as a stat for them.

We generally say that here if they are so drunk the medics are involved already our jail won't take them until the hospital clears them first anyway. Might as well have them voluntarily go to get some fluids in them and sober a bit instead of in handcuffs and then to jail afterwards.

We don't always have a guaranteed taxi service or a sober third party and our procedures for legit drunk subjects are pretty clear. So if your anywhere near a danger to yourself at your level of intoxication sometimes it really is only coming with us or going to the hospital. Although it's obviously situational.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Untagged posted:

Ridealongs are great if your legitimately interested. If you get a younger motivated officer willing to answer questions the better your time will likely be. Do a few with different types of departments to see different styles and types of policing, ask lots of questions, see the calls, watch how things work during the shift, etc. You'll get a pretty good impression of what it's like generally and if you'd like it from that.

I highly recommend ridealongs to any interested citizens of a jurisdiction, if they offer them. It's a great way to see the job of a local cop and learn about the community too. I've had several ridealongs that had no interest in being an LEO but just wanted to see what the job and jurisdiction looked like from this side of things.

Thanks, I really appreciate you taking the time to answer.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Whip Slagcheek posted:

This makes sense!
What what! :hfive:

Untagged posted:

Our EMTs are usually cool with it as long as the drunk isn't a complete rear end in a top hat or something. Most of our guys are volunteers so they count it as an easy taxi run to the hospital that counts as a stat for them.

We generally say that here if they are so drunk the medics are involved already our jail won't take them until the hospital clears them first anyway. Might as well have them voluntarily go to get some fluids in them and sober a bit instead of in handcuffs and then to jail afterwards.

We don't always have a guaranteed taxi service or a sober third party and our procedures for legit drunk subjects are pretty clear. So if your anywhere near a danger to yourself at your level of intoxication sometimes it really is only coming with us or going to the hospital. Although it's obviously situational.
Those situations are legit exceptions. Some parishes/counties don't have drunk tanks, and we know that's something we have to work around. No point in writing a refusal on someone when we know for a fact that we're just gonna have to come back to the jail and work a second ticket on that person. It just sucks when I'm working a call in a big city with a drunk tank and many taxi services (Whip can probably guess which one), and I'm still getting a random drunk dumped in my lap.

USMC503
Jan 15, 2012

For satisfactory performance while under the effects of hostile enemy alcohol.

Bigos posted:

I've seen plenty of clips of American cops helping other people and European cops being violent or outright abusive.

No necessarily applicable to what you said or anything, but this part of the conversation makes me think of the London riots and how hilariously ill prepared the London police force was for managing that. While American cops sometimes have a bad reputation for being dicks or heavy handed, I do appreciate they would certainly be more adept at keeping order if riots broke out like that here.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Doppelganger posted:

What what! :hfive:

Those situations are legit exceptions. Some parishes/counties don't have drunk tanks, and we know that's something we have to work around. No point in writing a refusal on someone when we know for a fact that we're just gonna have to come back to the jail and work a second ticket on that person. It just sucks when I'm working a call in a big city with a drunk tank and many taxi services (Whip can probably guess which one), and I'm still getting a random drunk dumped in my lap.

...so New Orleans? :lol:

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Whip Slagcheek posted:

...so New Orleans? :lol:
Yeah, I only know you from TFF, it was a hunch.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a couple questions about situations like Monica Jones' arrest and NYCPD's enforcement of anti-prostitution laws. It seems like the way the laws are written, profiling is encouraged. How would you personally handle situations like these? Do you think when enforcement is left to an officer's discretion like this it is a good thing? And if you think laws like this are unhelpful, or encourage profiling, do you do anything about it?

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

We don't even rehabilitate our prisoners what makes you think we'd try to teach cops what they did wrong?

Not trying to poo poo-post, making an observation.

Hi. I'm a DA, not a cop.

I tell cops they hosed something up all the time. That's part of my job description actually.

Just this week I had to dismiss a meth dealer's case because the cop hosed up. That was an officer not familiar with those situations so he just didn't know a few nuances of the law, but still. Also, our judges do a drat fine job of telling a cop they hosed up if they hosed up. 99.9 percent of the time the cops do a stellar job, but sometimes they do not, which is fine since they are human.

Edit: Judges also do a very good job of explaining the law in detail if evidence gets suppressed.

This only applies when criminal charges are actually brought, mind you.

The Shep
Jan 10, 2007

If found, please return this poster to GIP. His mothers are very worried and miss him very much.

Doppelganger posted:

I know our EMS get really upset with us when they're called for a drunk. The latest example I can think of is responding to a subject passed out in a hallway of an apartment complex. He wouldn't wake up no matter what we tried so, fearing alcohol poisoning, we called EMS. Sure as poo poo, as soon as the ambulance rolled up, the guy gets right up and thinks he can walk away. To the paramedics responding, it looks like we called them for a simple drunk when what we thought we had was an unconscious person. I even had people in the apartment complaining to me "why are you yelling at him, he needs help!" Because usually if I yell loud enough that if they don't wake up they're getting an $800 ride to the hospital, it gets them to stop playing possum or whatever. In this case, no. Maybe he thought we would just walk away?

Our EMS here cannot write refusals for drunks, they must be evaluated by a doctor - so that tends to piss them off. We also can't transport to the hospital, so we end up calling EMS for minor things if people demand an ambulance. One recent injury being a cut to a finger that maybe required a stitch or two, guy absolutely refused to drive himself so we called EMS and man, you can imagine how happy they were at 3am on a Monday.

The Shep fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 19, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
Why do some cop cars say "To Protect and Serve" on the side even though cops aren't legally obligated to do those things?

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Shyfted One posted:

Why do some cop cars say "To Protect and Serve" on the side even though cops aren't legally obligated to do those things?

I'm glad you asked. Every single officer in the entirety of the United States has been made aware of Warren v. District of Columbia, and informed that despite whatever motivations we had for joining, we do not actually have a legal obligation to help people. Warren v. District of Columbia wasn't just a legal case in which a municipality used legal wrangling to avoid civil liability, it's actually the guiding document for police operations in the United States.

Nationwide quotas exist in which we are allowed to actually help 1 of every 1000 911 callers, and this help will be widely publicized through our iron control of the news media and local politicians, control exterted through the mailed fist of our powerful unions.

In all other cases, callers will be ignored so we can focus on our primary mission:

Brutal oppression and personal enrichment.

So why is "Protect and Serve" on the side?

Power bottoms and the drug war.

Since we are allowed to seize any and all assets within one mile of a drug arrest and sell the victim into slavery, a percentage of that kicks upstairs to our Lizardmen masters, we receive a small portion (of which we tithe 10% to the local Masonic temple), and the rest goes to customizing our patrol cars, as every low-ranking police officer has total control over their individual cars.

"Protect and Serve" means that the officer is discreet and will "protect" your status and not out you, and "serve" means the officer is a sub. If there are quotes on the cruiser "Protect and Serve" vs. Protect and Serve the quotes signify the officer is a power bottom.

Similarly, "Community, Professionalism and Respect" means the officer driving is a top or domme.

If you are ever stopped or confronted by an officer with "Protect And Serve" written on their patrol car, just say "Move in" at a loud volume, this will put the officer at ease. Follow up with "Let's go to a motel six and explore our feelings" and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome of your stop.

Hope this answers your question.

Smiling Jack fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Apr 19, 2014

Shyfted One
May 9, 2008
It does.

To piggyback on that answer, how many LGBT officers are in your departments?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Smiling Jack posted:

If you are ever stopped or confronted by an officer with "Protect And Serve" written on their patrol car, just say "Move in" at a loud volume, this will put the officer at ease. Follow up with "Let's go to a motel six and explore our feelings" and I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the outcome of your stop.

Hope this answers your question.

Just tried this last night. Now I got a cop who wont stop calling me and I'm afraid to break off the relationship. :ohdear:

• Locked thread