Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

redreader posted:

What kind of crazy person goes diving in a cave where you have to cut a loving hole in the ice first then go on a FIVE HOUR DIVE. WTF.

pfft scared off a bit of danger? Rather sit at home with your wife. Pussy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's the death/survival/success rate of climbing the Devil's Thumb in the Canadian Arctic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Thumb
It says that 3 teams have been killed and that it is one of the most difficult climbs in N. America. Anyone have any figures?
Is Jon Krakuer's Eiger Dreams any good? I liked his other books.

I dunno, but part of that mountain is called 'Witches tits' and that's kind of amazing.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

What's the death/survival/success rate of climbing the Devil's Thumb in the Canadian Arctic?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devils_Thumb
It says that 3 teams have been killed and that it is one of the most difficult climbs in N. America. Anyone have any figures?
Is Jon Krakuer's Eiger Dreams any good? I liked his other books.

eiger dreams is good. don't forget to watch the eiger sanction!

also read to the top of denali, it is also a good collection.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Rondette posted:

I dunno, but part of that mountain is called 'Witches tits' and that's kind of amazing.

On the off-hand chance you're not familiar with it, it probably comes from the expression "colder than a witch's tits!", which should make it even more amazing.

I wonder if there's a mountain called "Well Digger's rear end"?

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Literally Kermit posted:

I wonder if there's a mountain called "Well Digger's rear end"?

That name would be better suited to a particularly cold and preferably flooded cave.

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

In 2013 I did a 12-day tour of Bhutan , Nepal and Tibet. About as pedestrian as you can get going to that area. But good times! And, yeah, one of the big things I was hoping for was to see Everest from the airplane. The tour company specifically said there is no guarantee that could happen. Clouds and all that. But, on the flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, I had a seat on the left side. And, bam! Just as Krakauer describes it in the beginning of Into Thin Air -- incisors reaching to the sky. And then there it was, that pyramid of Everest. I took many, many pictures during the 10 minutes or so it was visible out the window, looking down (down!) at the summit. This, with some cropping, was the best picture. I'm satisfied. And then the plane literally took a left at Everest/Makalu and went into Tibet. No need for me to climb it. Might be nice to do a hike near it someday, though.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Hey, I can see Green Boots from here!

Nice Tuckpointing!
Nov 3, 2005

Literally Kermit posted:

Hey, I can see Green Boots from here!

I do remember having the thought, "I wonder how many dead people I'm looking at right now."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Chappers posted:

In 2013 I did a 12-day tour of Bhutan , Nepal and Tibet. About as pedestrian as you can get going to that area. But good times! And, yeah, one of the big things I was hoping for was to see Everest from the airplane. The tour company specifically said there is no guarantee that could happen. Clouds and all that. But, on the flight from Kathmandu to Lhasa, I had a seat on the left side. And, bam! Just as Krakauer describes it in the beginning of Into Thin Air -- incisors reaching to the sky. And then there it was, that pyramid of Everest. I took many, many pictures during the 10 minutes or so it was visible out the window, looking down (down!) at the summit. This, with some cropping, was the best picture. I'm satisfied. And then the plane literally took a left at Everest/Makalu and went into Tibet. No need for me to climb it. Might be nice to do a hike near it someday, though.

How do you have enough money to justify the $250/day visa to Bhutan, mr moneybags?

• Locked thread