Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

:nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon::nixon:

We've had Mt. Everest threads here in GBS before, and we had an entire spring climbing season thread the other year. Well, with the Monsoon shifting away from the mountain it's the beginning of the Spring 2014 climbing season!

The mountain equivalent of the pitcher plant, luring dumb climbers to easily preventable deaths

We're off to a memorable start.

quote:

(CNN) -- Nine Sherpa guides were killed and three others were seriously injured Friday after a high-altitude avalanche on Mt. Everest, officials said.
Others were missing, but their numbers were not immediately known.

A group of about 50 people, mostly Nepali Sherpas, were hit by the avalanche at more than 20,000 feet, according to Tilak Ram Pandey, with the mountaineering department of the tourism ministry.

The avalanche took place just above base camp in the Khumbu Ice Fall.

The climbers were accounted for, Pandey said. "Rescue teams have gone ... to look for the missing."

Considering that the deaths appear to have occurred in the Khumbu Icefall, one of challenging/dangerous parts of the climb, chances are we can look forwards to the corpses being spat out the bottom of the icefall a few months from now (if ever).

Everest has gone really touristy in the last few decades, and this year there appears to be nearly 400 Sherpas assisting hundreds of climbers as they attempt to summit. Despite several high-profile tourist deaths like Shriya Shah-Klorfine in 2012 the mountain continues to be crammed with people willing to step past the corpses littering the mountainside and occasionally other climbers in distress for the honor of climbing a prominent piece of rock that thousands of other people have climbed.

Last year climber Ueli Steck and a number of Sherpa climbing assistants nearly got into a brawl in camp.

What's going to happen this year in the death zone? What's the bodycount of poorly trained and overly ambitious Canadians going to be? With what could be a dozen dead already it's on track to be the deadliest climbing seasons since 1996, which spawned the book "Into Thin Air."

This year Discovery Channel is trying to film a live stunt where a dude jumps off the summit in a wingsuit. The date is set for May 11th and we can all watch things go horribly wrong in the comfort of our safe, warm, much closer to sea level homes.

EDIT 4/20:

Discovery Channel stunt cancelled on account of dead Sherpas.

EDIT 4/22:

Dick Milhous Rock! fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 22, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Oh thank God. I was worried there wouldn't be a thread this time around.

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
yay thank you for a new thread!
Im always weirdly fascinated by streams of people who want to pay $50,000 to be a heartless tourist on a super dangerous littered mountain. Im glad i dont have to feel bad if i laugh at clueless Canadians. :ohdear:

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Saw the news about the avalanche and was hoping we had a thread up.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Nope, this year me and my buddies are getting drunk.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

Gold Medalist, 2014 shit post olympics
kinda morbid thing to have a thread about imo. they should make everest safer to climb

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

cuckold cleanup posted:

kinda morbid thing to have a thread about imo. they should make everest safer to climb
Giant escalator to the summit

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
The government of Nepal knows that the mountain god must periodically be fed new sacrifices. To spare their own people they have devised Everest tourism as a way to funnel willing but unwitting victims to the peaks. Thanks to the government's utilization of foreign people whose wish for death is strong the mountain stays satisfied and does not rise destroy us all.

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio
Cant the sherpas just take the dead corpses back to their shanty towns and eat them?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
You forgot the image series of that Canadian chick.

A Fucker IRL posted:

Cant the sherpas just take the dead corpses back to their shanty towns and eat them?
No, they're left for the yetis as protection meat.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
MUST SATE EGO *dies from lack of oxygen* *body remains frozen for centuries*

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer
:munch:

No guilt in this, it's like watching people try to jetski across water, or something equally dumb and preventable, but whatever.

A Fucker IRL posted:

Lucrative business in shipping dead white people back home for big money, like twice as much for taking them all the way up and back? :homebrew:

If I was an expert climber, I'd get right on that.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

the dead deserve our respect, as do people attempting to conquer everest

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

cuckold cleanup posted:

the dead deserve our respect, as do people attempting to conquer everest

Yeah man there's only one starbucks at base camp, one! Those brave men and women blah blah something something. I hope, as always, that everybody dies, I mean everybody every Sherpa, every tourist they are dragging up every freaking goat. I want the next fifty years of cryptozoology to be about proving how the Everest yetis killed every climber to protect their gold.

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

Oh, put that thing away, Samurai. We all know what's going to happen. You'll swing your sword, I'll fly away, and probably say something like, "I'll be back, Samurai!" And then I'll flutter over the horizon and we probably won't see each for... about a week. And then we'll do the same thing again.
just takin' a selfie at the summit #everest #mountainclimbing #imsohigh #deadsherpa #rich

posted from my iphone

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

hello yes I'm a greasy dipshit forums boy and I don't think that these dead people are entitled to the kind of dignity we give our friends and relatives in death because they paid big bucks like monsters to engage in some high fail up a mountain. exercise is extremely not my poo poo :twisted:

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio

cuckold cleanup posted:

the dead deserve our respect

Until they start stinking up the joint.

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio

cuckold cleanup posted:

hello yes I'm a greasy dipshit forums boy and I don't think that these dead people are entitled to the kind of dignity we give our friends and relatives in death because they paid big bucks like monsters to engage in some high fail up a mountain. exercise is extremely not my poo poo :twisted:

Youre boring, stop it.

Cucking Mama
Sep 27, 2013

dead people are so retarded

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

cuckold cleanup posted:

this, but unironically

Glasgow Kiss
Dec 12, 2007

exterminate the dead :commissar:

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

A Fucker IRL posted:

Until they start stinking up the joint.

Bodies don't really rot at that temperature and altitude. Most of the bodies on Everest get preserved in a quasi-mummified state, most of the damage either coming from wind literally wearing down frozen flesh or the very, very small number of scavengers.

This is George Mallory, who died climbing the mountain in 1924. The body was largely intact if I remember correctly, with the exception of some damage caused by raven-like Gorak birds over the years.

Dick Milhous Rock!
Aug 9, 1974

So basically they don't stink, but eventually you'll add a few feet to the mountain from the pyramid of dead bodies everyone has to climb over.

Flython
Oct 21, 2010

cuckold cleanup posted:

dead people are so retarded

nimh posted:

My dream. I have never climbed before.

My guides told me i am very slow. That i could die. They tell me to turn around

I took way to long to get up here, i also used a way too high oxygen rate so my tanks are nearly empty.
I'm also gonna spend much longer on the summit than is advisable. Boo- hoo suckers, i'm here! You can do anything with a can-do spirit!

A Fucker IRL
Jan 25, 2014

by Baldo di Gregorio

TheOneOutside posted:

So basically they don't stink, but eventually you'll add a few feet to the mountain from the pyramid of dead bodies everyone has to climb over.

That just means everyone who survived has to climb it again, because the summit is higher now.
:20bux: :20bux: :20bux:

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

Everest is such a bitchy little hill compared to Olympus Mons, I want to see stupid rich people going to Mars and dying there instead.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

cuckold cleanup posted:

omfg welcome to Something Awful you gigantic loving pussy.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Open the bloodgates.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
My guess is at least 12 corpses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

cuckold cleanup posted:

They died in the middle of one of the most blatant acts of self-indulgence, wherein their goal was to defile nature for entirely selfish reasons, yeah they don't deserve much in terms of pity.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

nimh posted:

My dream. I have never climbed before.

My guides told me i am very slow. That i could die. They tell me to turn around

I took way to long to get up here, i also used a way too high oxygen rate so my tanks are nearly empty.
I'm also gonna spend much longer on the summit than is advisable. Boo- hoo suckers, i'm here! You can do anything with a can-do spirit!

lol

Is there a story behind this?

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
anything that kills rich white people is cool. natural selection is cool in general

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

That chick was so retarded. I watched a documentary where they were interviewing her before she went and it was plain to see that she was going die

http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.1195149 story here

BONE DOG fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Apr 18, 2014

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
uhhh maybe you guys should respect the dead has got to be one of most watery poo poo weak trolls i've seen yet

gj not falling for it. respect nothing :coolfish:

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax
RIP dumb rich people.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Wingless posted:

lol

Is there a story behind this?
what more do you need than the text already there?

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

A Buttery Pastry posted:

what more do you need than the text already there?

They interviewed her and her husband before she went and also the shady expedition company owner and Sherpas after she died. She was warned by many people and given ample opportunities to back out but she figured it was a better idea to spend forty thousand dollars to die on a mountain. The whole thing is pretty entertaining actually

Mr Kapu
Jul 6, 2009
This is my favorite reality show.

Rex Deckard
Jul 15, 2004

TheOneOutside posted:

And the garbage adds a few more meters on top of the bodies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Sucks that Sherpas were killed and not the dentists

• Locked thread