Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Also, it seems like in any country with a legal system, bringing a dangerously unqualified person to climb Mt. Everest, a feat which has killed numerous highly skilled people in the past, would at least be considered manslaughter or some poo poo when said person inevitably dies.

Hope the husband has fun paying off that $100,000 mortgage the rest of his life.

haljordan fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ferid posted:

how many people have taken pictures teabagging everest corpses and then lost their junk to frostbite? there's got to be at least one

On that note, have people had sex on Everest? At least the base camp maybe?

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

gradenko_2000 posted:

yeah, they have to replace the dead ones somehow

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Mr. Mallory posted:

thats my great grandpa

not so great i think

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
So basically that canadian girl was like the grizzlyman of climbing

incidentally watch grizzlyman one of the best unintentional comedies ever as a heavily closeted gay dude with absolutely no wildlife training illegally trespasses into Katmai National Park over and ovre until he and his beard get eaten alive

the audio was captured on his video camera but stupid warner hertzog told his ex gf who had it to destroy it and didn't play it in the movie t:mad:t

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
I'm a terrible person. A friend who knows about my morbid interest in high altitude mountaineering deaths just told me there'd been an avalanche and I immediately came here to see if the thread had returned.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes. In one of the many books that were discussed in the last thread (probably Krakauer's) it's mentioned that some of the superstitious Sherpa cited two climbers having sex on the mountain as the reason people died.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

Taliaquin posted:

I'm a terrible person. A friend who knows about my morbid interest in high altitude mountaineering deaths just told me there'd been an avalanche and I immediately came here to see if the thread had returned.

Yes. In one of the many books that were discussed in the last thread (probably Krakauer's) it's mentioned that some of the superstitious Sherpa cited two climbers having sex on the mountain as the reason people died.

that's some superhuman reasoning lol

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Fabricated posted:

So basically that canadian girl was like the grizzlyman of climbing

incidentally watch grizzlyman one of the best unintentional comedies ever as a heavily closeted gay dude with absolutely no wildlife training illegally trespasses into Katmai National Park over and ovre until he and his beard get eaten alive

the audio was captured on his video camera but stupid warner hertzog told his ex gf who had it to destroy it and didn't play it in the movie t:mad:t

i always wondered how that happened, was he just like setting up a camera on a tripod and then he's all hey imma go talk to this bear and then he gets all slaughtered and poo poo because bears are loving awesome?

so i mean i figure that's what happened, but who found the camera and was able to save the tape?

but yeah seriously they need to find that and it should be something they play in elementary schools before they go on field trips

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

mookface posted:

They interviewed her and her husband before she went and also the shady expedition company owner and Sherpas after she died. She was warned by many people and given ample opportunities to back out but she figured it was a better idea to spend forty thousand dollars to die on a mountain. The whole thing is pretty entertaining actually

It wouldn't have been nearly as funny without those really, really awful photoshops of her in front of the mountain that she had posted on her blog.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

TheOneOutside posted:

Bodies don't really rot at that temperature and altitude. Most of the bodies on Everest get preserved in a quasi-mummified state, most of the damage either coming from wind literally wearing down frozen flesh or the very, very small number of scavengers.

This is George Mallory, who died climbing the mountain in 1924. The body was largely intact if I remember correctly, with the exception of some damage caused by raven-like Gorak birds over the years.

"Not even the carrion eaters are interested in your irradiated corpse..."

"Your life ends in the wasteland..."

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

pr0k posted:

It wouldn't have been nearly as funny without those really, really awful photoshops of her in front of the mountain that she had posted on her blog.

Someone post everpug

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

axeil posted:

tracking the inevitable death of that idiot canadian lady in last year's everest thread was some of the only humor in gbs 1.0.

did any morons make a kickstarter about climbing everest that we can watch?

does anyone have a link to that thread?

i tried searching but im retarded so

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I will go die on everest and take a bunch of people with me if goons pay me to go

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Why go to everest when you can play EverQuest?

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

YAY! The thread returns. I look forward to pages and pages of goons debating the morality of leaving people to die on the mountain instead of rescuing them (not possible most of the time) and how we can build a pressurized rescue suit or zip line to bring people down when they are in trouble.

also: ever ever ever ever... rest rest rest rest...

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I Might Be Adam posted:

YAY! The thread returns. I look forward to pages and pages of goons debating the morality of leaving people to die on the mountain instead of rescuing them (not possible most of the time) and how we can build a pressurized rescue suit or zip line to bring people down when they are in trouble.

also: ever ever ever ever... rest rest rest rest...

if youre dumb enough to try and climb that poo poo im not sacrificing myself to carry your corpse back down. there aint no morality involved here.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler
everybody gets their own helicopter

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib
Here's someone trying to do everest but it looks like he's an actual mountaineer:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hilwan-for-everest#home :smith:

but this looks interesting....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-artist-molly-paint-an-expedition-of-nepal-and-mount-everest#home

Molly's Big Adventure is about a single mom artist's dream to climb to Mount Everest The dream of embracing and sharing her beauty through writing and art.

Molly posted:

Hi, I'm Molly, an artist and single mother of two. I have a dream of trekking through Nepal to Mount Everest and sharing the "Journey", experience, through original oil paintings and a writing.

I have spent many years hibernating in my own self-doubt and excuses. Painting and creating are my passion; they are what I dream about and what I can't wait to do each day. I recently had a friend tell me it’s time for me to do something big, something life changing, and he was exactly right!

WELL HELLO MOLLY WELCOME TO OUR PARLOUR :kheldragar:

edit: wait gently caress she's just raising money to go to base camp. who the gently caress has a lifelong dream of just going to base camp

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

if youre dumb enough to try and climb that poo poo im not sacrificing myself to carry your corpse back down. there aint no morality involved here.

I want to 69 with you immediately following a hot, fresh poo poo (yorus)

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

pathetic little tramp posted:

Here's someone trying to do everest but it looks like he's an actual mountaineer:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/hilwan-for-everest#home :smith:

but this looks interesting....

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/help-artist-molly-paint-an-expedition-of-nepal-and-mount-everest#home

Molly's Big Adventure is about a single mom artist's dream to climb to Mount Everest The dream of embracing and sharing her beauty through writing and art.

jesus if you hate being a single mom that much, just throw yourself off a building or take a bunch of sleeping pills or something (because she clearly wants to die).

also wouldn't she need wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than $6,000? arent permits like 50 grand?

haljordan fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 18, 2014

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

haljordan posted:

jesus if you hate being a single mom that much, just throw yourself off a building or take a bunch of sleeping pills or something (because she clearly wants to die).

no you don't understand its going to be so fulfilling when she gets her canvas and art supplies to the top!

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

i always wondered how that happened, was he just like setting up a camera on a tripod and then he's all hey imma go talk to this bear and then he gets all slaughtered and poo poo because bears are loving awesome?

so i mean i figure that's what happened, but who found the camera and was able to save the tape?

but yeah seriously they need to find that and it should be something they play in elementary schools before they go on field trips

A bear rolled up on his camp at night the night before he was leaving and his girlfriend turned on the camera instead of yelling or saving him. Then they both got eaten. The pilot who was coming to pick them up found the camera the next morning.

The audio is floating around out there somewhere but she forgot to take the lens cap off and I think the family hasn't released the audio.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

Fallen Rib

haljordan posted:

also wouldn't she need wayyyyyyyyyyyyyy more than $6,000? arent permits like 50 grand?

check my edit, once i made it to the bottom she says she's actually just going to stay at base camp while everyone else goes up. that's apparently all she needs to change her life, her life must be only slightly unstimulating. no kickstarted blood for the blood god just yet :(

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

haljordan posted:

She's not climbing she's just hiking out to the mountain and going like "yup there's a mountain" and then instead of taking a picture she's gonna paint some abstract art poo poo and roll out.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So can I at least get a name of that idiot girl so I can do a google on her since the articles aren't working for me? Much appreciated

Kung Fu Candy
Oct 28, 2010

haljordan posted:

i was wondering that too, but it looks like she only intends to go to base camp.

also can someone please post Everpug

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I don't get how the girlfriend got eaten too, I mean "a grizzly bear eating your boyfriend" sounds like a pretty involving activity that would give you ample time to run away.

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe
that's pretty reasonable. mountains are nice

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Paramemetic posted:

She's not climbing she's just hiking out to the mountain and going like "yup there's a mountain" and then instead of taking a picture she's gonna paint some abstract art poo poo and roll out.

drat i was hoping she'd be as reasonable as "never climbed a mountain before, better start with everest" lady

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

edit: wait gently caress she's just raising money to go to base camp. who the gently caress has a lifelong dream of just going to base camp
I got my hopes up for a minute. But maybe she could decide to go on up from there? Wasn't Krakauer originally planning not to climb it and then did? I actually like artsy stuff and people so I'm not making fun of her for being an artist, just for being yet another person who doesn't seem to have any business being near the mountain lining up for the mountain.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

maybe as she's making her garbage artwork a giant boulder will complete it's 3 day roll down the mountain and flatten her like in a road runner cartoon

gibbsocracy
Mar 2, 2014

by XyloJW

exquisite tea posted:

I don't get how the girlfriend got eaten too, I mean "a grizzly bear eating your boyfriend" sounds like a pretty involving activity that would give you ample time to run away.

if you're in the middle of nowhere where the gently caress would you go? the bear can move quicker than you and smell you a long ways. thats assuming she ran full tilt away the second it attacked

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

gibbsocracy posted:

if you're in the middle of nowhere where the gently caress would you go? the bear can move quicker than you and smell you a long ways. thats assuming she ran full tilt away the second it attacked

yea in that situation you might as well stand still because why die tired

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

I dunno I have a lot more respect to just do this since you're not condemning yourself to stupid death

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

exquisite tea posted:

She tried to save her boyfriend by whacking it over the head with a pot or something.

Kaislioc
Feb 14, 2008

Philosopher King posted:

So can I at least get a name of that idiot girl so I can do a google on her since the articles aren't working for me? Much appreciated

Shriya Shah-Klorfine?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Grizzlyman's beard was pretty dedicated; she literally went out and started beating the grizzly on the head with a cast iron frying pan until it got annoyed and mauled her to death as well

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Taliaquin posted:

I got my hopes up for a minute. But maybe she could decide to go on up from there? Wasn't Krakauer originally planning not to climb it and then did? I actually like artsy stuff and people so I'm not making fun of her for being an artist, just for being yet another person who doesn't seem to have any business being near the mountain lining up for the mountain.

Krakauer had tried to for years but never got the chance, and gave up. Then he got the offer. Krakauer is also an experienced group and solo climber, so there is that.
It looks like this lady just wanted to see Base Camp, though, which frankly isn't bad. The worst she is likely to come away with from there is dysentery.

gibbsocracy
Mar 2, 2014

by XyloJW

its beautiful at base camp and still a bit of a fun trek without the high risk of dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
It's basically a way for a no name artist to get some publicity.

I could do the same by being the first male ambassador of lululemon to visit mount everest

• Locked thread